The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always wondered if there was anything to the "Date" the 3MW disappeared. On graduation night. I wonder if this had any segnificance? Or weather it was mearly a coincidence.

I still think that it makes sense that someone from the last party might have followed them home. Course, there are a lot of other things that make sense as well. It just seems to be a closer fit. I mean, we know for a fact that the girls were at a graduation party. It was the last place we know for a fact they were at other then the house, before they disappeared. I've always thought that it was probably someone who knew them. It would make more sense.

Are you referring to a scheduled date for either or both of the girls? I'm not altogether clear on the meaning.

What I think is more likely than not is that if two unattached young girls were out at a party where the beer was flowing that any number of young revved young males would have had a natural interest in either or both of them. If I were the police I would have made a point of finding all of those young males and interviewing them about their alibis. Any of them might be among the 12 suspects. Without a doubt the last people to have seen the women alive should automatically top the list of these 12 suspects.

Are you referring to a scheduled date for either or both of the girls? I'm not altogether clear on the meaning.

What I think is more likely than not is that if two unattached young girls were out at a party where the beer was flowing that any number of young revved young males would have had a natural interest in either or both of them. If I were the police I would have made a point of finding all of those young males and interviewing them about their alibis. Any of them might be among the 12 suspects. Without a doubt the last people to have seen the women alive should automatically top the list of these 12 suspects.

I guess I was trying to think too abstract...I had a thought that if someone had planned on killing Sherrell and Susie on her graduation night as a way of getting even with them. Something like a close personal vendetta. It was just a passing thought...probably doesn't have any bearing on anything.
I agree though that if the alcohol was flowing as I'm sure it was at a "Graduation" party, then that would definatly be an angle. Young men drinking, who may or may not have actually "Graduated that night", at the party with the other people who did graduate that night. Or it could have just as easily been someone who did graduate with them. We've definatly seen in the past were alcohol has lead people into doing horrible things....it wouldn't necessarily have to be some deranged stalking killer, it could have just as easily been someone who followed them home from the party.
I still can't get over why the women were removed from the house if it was a sexually motivated crime. Removing them from the house sounds more like a getting rid of the women type of crime. Although removing them to another place that offers a greater comfort zone for the abductors would make sense as well. However, if sexual motivations were the angle, I would think they would have just done it right there in the house, and moved on, rather then taking them all somewhere else...unless they planned on carrying their "party" out a lot longer.

"Investigators say they have a group of suspects, but Routh won't say more. Two highly investigated men, both now in state prisons, still haven't been ruled out.
"I don't feel three women can be abducted out of a house and no one know anything about it," said Routh, who was a patrol officer when the women disappeared."

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
June 11, 1997

It appears these are 2 of the 12 suspects.

"Investigators say they have a group of suspects, but Routh won't say more. Two highly investigated men, both now in state prisons, still haven't been ruled out.
"I don't feel three women can be abducted out of a house and no one know anything about it," said Routh, who was a patrol officer when the women disappeared."

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
June 11, 1997

And I would think that even though the police may have said that other people were cleared as suspects....they probably weren't. Alot of times the police will say that just to see if someone then goe's ahead and lets their guard down and ends up doing something that gets them caught.

I would think that the "Brother" would still be considered a suspect as well, so there is a possiable 3d suspect.

I wonder how the police came to the number 12. It seems like an awful lot of suspects.

Also, remember the report/rumor...(not sure which it turned out to be)...about the pictures missing in some of the picture frames.
Was this ever proven to be anything tangeable. I've often thought about that too. If it had any bearing on who the suspect/s might have been.

Also...I saw a picture of the house that was taken, I believe, the day of or day after the disappearance. It showed two young men walking in front of the house...I think there was also a police car in it. Who were those young men?

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
June 11, 1997

That's a real good find. I'm guessing we are looking at Cox and "Moe." Certainly they were highly investigated and were in state prisons; one in Missouri and the other in Texas.

I was going to comment on this earlier. Since, to my knowledge, there is no shred of evidence any "sexual assault" took place inside or immediately outside the home but that all four agencies agreed that is what took place, and since both these individuals have a long history of this conduct they would have to be seriously considered. And since the only way the police could have arrived at the motive of sexual assault it follows that someone who knew what took place had to roll on someone else or did it himself. However, the fly in that ointment is that to my knowledge, nothing that "Moe" has ever stated was found to be factual although I don't know that to be completely true. He might have given enough information to indicate that he was at least partially reliable. He could have rolled on Cox, "Larry" and "Curly" which is why they were subjects of the grand jury. Otherwise I am at a loss to understand how these agencies concluded it was sexual assault in the absence of such physical evidence at the Levitt home.

I'm really curious who the two deceased individuals are. If that information was known we could work on connecting through them to other likely individuals. I can think of one possible but I don't know to this day if he was involved but only that he is in fact deceased. Hurricane brought that to my attention.

I have put together the following list of POI's. I hope you will suggest corrections or additions as appropriate.
1) Gerald Carnahan: DOB 1958 Abducted, raped murdered and concealed body of Jackie Johns in Ozark Mo in 1985. No other known connection.
2) Francis Robb: DOB ? killed three people and in “early 1990’s” And disposed of their bodies. This was apparently not sex related. He was convicted and died in prison.
3) Ricky Evans: DOB ? Close friend of Robb who might have been involved in the triple murder. Later convicted of a different double murder (non-sexual) and disposing of bodies by feeding to hogs on his farm.
4) Darrel Felton: DOB ? Friend of Evans, grandson of Robb. Was witness against Evans. All three above were “rustic” meth using low-lifes who lived in the rural area east of Springfield.
5) Melvin Cheney: DOB (early 1960’s) convicted of 1/19/91 abduction/rape/murder/ with body disposal of Trudie Davis who was abducted from convenience store where she worked. There are two similar crimes in the general area (about an hour north of Springfield) that are unsolved that he is suspected of.
6) Jesse Rush: DOB 1976 (brother of Melvin) convicted, with Melvin of the Trudie Davis caper. His statement implicated two other men who were never charged (Greg Cheevers and a Marshall Cheevers) and, in a letter to another inmate, made references to having killed “several other women” Jesse and Melvin were living in Camden county Mo
7) Robert Cox” DOB 1960 History of Rape/murder in Fl+ other sex and property crimes. Serving long sentence in Texas. Made statements suggesting he knew something of murder but nothing solid. No known ties to women
8) Stephen Eugene Garrison: DOB ? Raped a student in Springfield in 1993 serving 40 year sentence . He apparently claimed bodies were buried on Francis Robb’s farm. No know connection to women.
9) Mike Kovacs:, DOB 1975 Suzie’d former boyfriend. Associated with of the Graverobbers. Supposedly had rock solid alibi
10) Dustin Recla: Graverobber
11) Michael Clay: Graverobber
12) Joseph Riedel: Graverobber All three of the Graverobber have pretty well convinced LE they were not involved. Statements from LE claim they were ‘cleared” but there are reports that some involved in the investigation feel they should be investigated further.
13) 36-year-old man from Springfield (Grand Jury three)
14) 28-year-old man from Kansas(Grand Jury three)
15) 28-year-old man who was originally from Cedar County, Mo(Grand Jury three) the Grand Jury Three were recent paroles from the Kansas system who arrived in Springfield a month before the abduction. As the Grand Jury is conducted in secret, it is not know what, if any connection they had to the crime but no indictment was issued.
16) Bart Streeter: DOB 1965 Brother of Suzie, Long history of Substance abuse and minor crimes. Generally considered to have been “cleared” during initial investigation.
17) Chris Revak DOB 1973 Committed suicide after arrest for sex related murder in Ava Mo. Is a strong suspect in two other similar murders, “Internet rumors’ place him in Springfield area in 1992 but LE has played down any interest in him

2) Francis Robb: DOB ? killed three people and in “early 1990’s” And disposed of their bodies. This was apparently not sex related. He was convicted and died in prison.

He was already in prison at the time of the abductions. He had been in custody since January, 91.

thanks, I'll take him of the list. I couldn't veriy that date.

I have put together the following list of POI's. I hope you will suggest corrections or attitions as appropriate.
1) Gerald Carnahan: DOB 1958 Abducted, raped murdered and concealed body of Jackie Johns in Ozark Mo in 1985. No other known connection.
3) Ricky Evans: DOB ? Close friend of Robb who might have been involved in the triple murder. Later convicted of a different double murder (non-sexual) and disposing of bodies by feeding to hogs on his farm.
4) Darrel Felton: DOB ? Friend of Evans, grandson of Robb. Was witness against Evans. All three above were “rustic” meth using low-lifes who lived in the rural area east of Springfield.
5) Melvin Cheney: DOB (early 1960’s) convicted of 1/19/91 abduction/rape/murder/ with body disposal of Trudie Davis who was abducted from convenience store where she worked. There are two similar crimes in the general area (about an hour north of Springfield) that are unsolved that he is suspected of.
6) Jesse Rush: DOB 1976 (brother of Melvin) convicted, with Melvin of the Trudie Davis caper. His statement implicated two other men who were never charged (Greg Cheevers and a Marshall Cheevers) and, in a letter to another inmate, made references to having killed “several other women” Jesse and Melvin were living in Camden county Mo
7) Robert Cox” DOB 1960 History of Rape/murder in Fl+ other sex and property crimes. Serving long sentence in Texas. Made statements suggesting he knew something of murder but nothing solid. No known ties to women
8) Stephen Eugene Garrison: DOB ? Raped a student in Springfield in 1993 serving 40 year sentence . He apparently claimed bodies were buried on Francis Robb’s farm. No know connection to women.
9) Mike Kovacs:, DOB 1975 Suzie’d former boyfriend. Associated with of the Graverobbers. Supposedly had rock solid alibi
10) Dustin Recla: Graverobber
11) Michael Clay: Graverobber
12) Joseph Riedel: Graverobber All three of the Graverobber have pretty well convinced LE they were not involved. Statements from LE claim they were ‘cleared” but there are reports that some involved in the investigation feel they should be investigated further.
13) 36-year-old man from Springfield (Grand Jury three)
14) 28-year-old man from Kansas(Grand Jury three)
15) 28-year-old man who was originally from Cedar County, Mo(Grand Jury three) the Grand Jury Three were recent paroles from the Kansas system who arrived in Springfield a month before the abduction. As the Grand Jury is conducted in secret, it is not know what, if any connection they had to the crime but no indictment was issued.
16) Bart Streeter: DOB 1965 Brother of Suzie, Long history of Substance abuse and minor crimes. Generally considered to have been “cleared” during initial investigation.
17) Chris Revak DOB 1973 Committed suicide after arrest for sex related murder in Ava Mo. Is a strong suspect in two other similar murders, “Internet rumors’ place him in Springfield area in 1992 but LE has played down any interest in him

Kemo...This is awsome!!! Let me be the first to thank you for doing this!!!

Kemo, that is an excellent list from which to start. Good compilation! Could someone come up with the longitude/latitude of the Robb properties near Rogersville/ Northview, if you have those easily? I am wishing to look a particular structures but I do not recall directions other than connecting to Animal Paradise, which was a gaint place in acreage anyway. Thanks if you are able.

Kemo...The girl's name was "Trudy Darby"...ref. Macks Creek Murder committed by Jesse Rush & Melvin Cheney...and two others who were never charged. Here's an excert from a letter Jesse Rush wrote to someone he thought was a "Jail House Lawyer", who eventually turned the letters over to police....Check this out:

It is noteworthy that in two of Defendant's letters he expressly admitted his direct involvement in the murder of Trudy Darby. In one letter he wrote:
    • I just wish my brother would have done like I said at the barn and burnt the bitc$ up but that pussy *advertiser censored* cheevers and parel desided to take the bitc$ to a Fuc$'en river instead. I was to Fuc$ed up to argue with em all I wanted to do was Fuc$ the bitc$ then shoot her in the head to watch her brains come out. Sounds cool huh? . . . if the bitc$ would have not moved in the trunk at the river my brother wouldn't of had to shoot her in the head again just the have the cops find a shell the stupid mother fuc$er the only smart thing we did was have marshels brother greg burn the barn other wise the mother fuc$ers would have a lot more on us. im glad they don't know every thing else we did or i'd be on death row . . . .
He definatly didn't have any remorse. Also there were two other disappearances of women around the same time that the 3MW went missing...one from Clinton, Mo., and one from Neveda, Mo. These all happened with in about 80-miles of each other. I would suspect that these guys were possiably responsable for the Clinton & Neveda disappearances, I have always put these guys on the top of the suspect list since I learned of them. Their M.O. definatly fits the 3MW case. I believe that Greg Chevers lives north of Springfield and close to Macks Creek. He was one of the ones that never got charged if I'm correct. It could be possable that they were in springfield that night trolling for women...graduation night...etc.

Another excert from Jesse Rush's appeal from 1997:

In the present case, six of Defendant's thirteen letters contained scant and vague references to other crimes which cannot be characterized as clear evidence of his having committed them. The thirteen letters in question from Defendant to Ed Thomas consisted of rambling, disconnected thoughts on a variety of topics and subjects. Six of these letters made intertwining, indefinite references to other crimes.

Note: Jesse Rush was 15 at the time these crimes were committed. The other people were a few years older.

Here's another "Footnote" that was on the court case file:

FN2. For example, Defendant wrote to Edward Thomas that "I never told you about them other *****s . . . ." With regard to some evidence, he wrote "because if it gets found by accident it can get us involved in killing them other ****ing bitc$s. . . ." Furthermore, Defendant wrote "hey dog I tried to explain a little about them other bitc$s I hope your not mad at me. . . ." Defendant also explained to Edward Thomas in a letter that "the cops don't even know about my brother and me killing any other bitc$s except Macks Creek." Finally, Defendant wrote that "them other bitc$s in my last letter to you were both like that bitc$ in Macks Creek we all tortured the bitc$s then fuc$ed the dog shi$ out of em. . . ." These examples represent the degree of detail which Defendant referred to other crimes. All spelling and grammatical errors in these examples belong to the author of the letters, Defendant.

Here's another Excert from the court case file to help with the timeline as to where these guys were at around the time the 3MW disappeared:

An autopsy was performed by Dr. Jay Dix on Trudy Darby's body on January 22, 1991. Dr. Dix determined that Trudy Darby's death was caused by two gunshot wounds. The first shot entered the right side of her head creating a gutter wound across her right ear, and the bullet then lodged in her skull after traveling about one inch. The trajectory of the bullet indicated that it came from behind and to the right of the victim. The second shot entered the back of Ms. Darby's head and traveled up through her brain before coming to rest below her scalp.
The investigation into who abducted and murdered Trudy Darby revealed little until the Summer of 1994.
Between 1992 and 1993, Defendant was living with family members near Kansas City, Missouri, and during his stay there he revealed to Elizabeth Corpening that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby. Ms. Corpening was disturbed by this revelation but did not take it too seriously.
Thereafter, in 1993 Defendant revealed to Carl Blakely, a former neighbor of Defendant, that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby. However, this time Defendant's revelation was taken seriously and was reported to Trooper Mays. During the same time period, Gretchen Chastain, a former girlfriend of Defendant, also reported to Trooper Mays that Defendant had revealed to her that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby.

The abductions of Cheryl Ann Kenney on February 28, 1991, in Nevada, Missouri and Angela Hammond on April 4, 1991 in the city of Clinton, Missouri are very similar to the Trudy Darby case. . The three crimes occured in a very short time period so they are probably related. However, no bodies were found and Jesse never mentioned thoses cases by name so no charges were filed.

The Springfield 3 case was over a year later and had definite differences but I think they should have been checked out. I have no idea if they were ever questioned.

The abductions of Cheryl Ann Kenney on February 28, 1991, in Nevada, Missouri and Angela Hammond on April 4, 1991 in the city of Clinton, Missouri are very similar to the Trudy Darby case. . The three crimes occured in a very short time period so they are probably related. However, no bodies were found and Jesse never mentioned thoses cases by name so no charges were filed.

The Springfield 3 case was over a year later and had definite differences but I think they should have been checked out. I have no idea if they were ever questioned.
I believe they found the body of Cheryl Ann Kenney in a field in 2000 but hadnt identified her.

I believe LE came to the conclusion these 3 cases were not connected (the Kenney, Hammond, and Darby cases). Not sure if the convicted killers of Darby were ever looked at by LE in the 3MW. To my knowledge, they've never been mentioned in this case by LE.

I believe LE came to the conclusion these 3 cases were not connected (the Kenney, Hammond, and Darby cases). Not sure if the convicted killers of Darby were ever looked at by LE in the 3MW. To my knowledge, they've never been mentioned in this case by LE.

What ever the case may me, the fact remains that Jesse Rush admitted in his letters that there were other women who had been victims of theirs.
I don't think it would be too far fetched to think that these guys were involved....no more far fetched then most of the other suspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz