The state Rests in The State v. Jodi Arias: break in trial until 28 January 2013 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You bring up valid points. I'm not sure my question is relevant to anything, but I'm going to ask, anyway...
How on earth did Jodi afford her frequent travels to and from Mesa, Utah, etc.? I know Travis paid for their travels but I'm specifically questioning the trips for glorified booty calls that she made? I'm comfortable in my profession but I could NEVER get that much time off work...even if I could, the cost of travel would be prohibative for me. Thoughts?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, Simply Caustic. Good question. For at least part of the time, Jodi was living (almost certainly room and board free) at her grandparents' house. I think that she was trying to transition to non-waitress jobs by selling photographs, getting small Prepaid Legal commissions, and perhaps doing artwork. It has occurred to me that the move to Mesa was at least partly based on better job possibilities there, but that, like some of the other things I have stated, is a hypothesis.

I do remember that my niece's boyfriend who lived with my sister and her husband under free & easy conditions seemed to be able to do all kinds of things that other people his age didn't seem to be able to do.

I didn't think you had anything personal against me.

V's story is compelling. Emotionally speaking, from my experience dealing with loonies, V struck me as looney when I heard her on Dr.D.
I could very easily be wrong.

I would love to hear her story confirmed by other employees.

Hi, Lil Buddy. You have the advantage of having heard her; I have just read her transcript. I hope that we find out.

You bring up valid points. I'm not sure my question is relevant to anything, but I'm going to ask, anyway...
How on earth did Jodi afford her frequent travels to and from Mesa, Utah, etc.? I know Travis paid for their travels but I'm specifically questioning the trips for glorified booty calls that she made? I'm comfortable in my profession but I could NEVER get that much time off work...even if I could, the cost of travel would be prohibative for me. Thoughts?

not sure of why it came up but on in session I believe
Jean Cassaris said that Jodi was very frugal. It's possible
that she just did not spend much money on anything but
absolute essentials. She always seemed to have a room mate
or lived with a family member as well which cuts costs.

Still does not sound like she made enough to support this stuff but...

Well and let's not be ignorant pretty girls get
good tips from men often without working too hard for
it. If Jodi was a halfway decent flirt, which it sounds
like she was, then she could make decent money without
even being an awesome waitress.

A friend of mine worked at the Marriott in Palm Desert as a waitress and made great money. And...at the time she was in her fifties. There is beaucoup money in that area!

Blanket statement - all females are catty. I'd agree if you said some, but not all.

That was the second night (Jan 16) Dr. Drew talked to Veronica, here is the first time she called in (Jan 14).

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1301/14/ddhln.01.html

This is Veronica in Hawaii. Veronica, what have you got for me?

VERONICA, CALLER FROM HAWAII: Hey, I knew Jodi personally in Rancho Mirage, California. We worked together. She would be in the packing lot refusing to go to work because she couldn`t get him on the phone.

I said, Jodi, leave the boy alone. She goes, I can`t, Veronica. He`s the only man I want to marry. He`s the only man I want to have children with.

PINSKY: Veronica, when was this?

VERONICA: This was back in 2008. She worked at the restaurant for four or five months.

PINSKY: Did you notice anything peculiar about her? Is there anything you can tell us --

VERONICA: Every night. She had a flat affect. She was horrible at the job, but she got it because she was pretty.

And she -- and owners of the restaurant would say, I never want her at my table again. I would say, Jodi, what happened? And she`d say, nothing.

REYNOLDS: What restaurant was this because she lied and said she worked at a place called Margaritaville. There was no such place.

VERONICA: Bull. She worked at Bing Crosby`s in Rancho Mirage.

PINSKY: In Rancho Mirage, in the desert.

VERONICA: And she was living in a house, at Palm Desert Country Club. And she was trying to get me to buy this house for $300,000.

PINSKY: OK. Was she -- does she create chaos? Were she -- did you see any aggression? Was there anything about her that was --

VERONICA: No, Jodi does not show outwardly anything. Jodi stays at a flat affect. Jodi -- she would be telling me, I`ve got to drive to Arizona, Veronica. I`m going tonight after work. And I`d say --

PINSKY: Veronica, when you heard, were you shocked she was capable of something like this?

VERONICA: No, because she abused an animal, I know.

REYNOLDS: Oh, gosh. Well, a lot of Jeffrey Dahmers start with animals.

PINSKY: Tell me about. Again, we cannot confirm or deny what Veronica is telling us, but go ahead. Please tell us what you know.

VERONICA: OK. We had an employee there. He was getting there. His wife was allergic to the cat. He asked her to take the cat. But two weeks while they went on honeymoon, she told me where it`s at. She said, Veronica, I`m going to do it. So, she took the cat in.

After two weeks when the guy got back from his honeymoon, she came up to me and said, Veronica, when I went back to get the cat after two weeks - - I said, two weeks, what do you mean? She said, I left it in a dark room with enough food and water. A lot at her and I was about to strangle her right there. And I had a whole (INAUDIBLE).

And she said the cat was shaking horribly, Veronica. I guess I kind of felt bad. Oh!

REYNOLDS: Showing she`s obviously heartless. Are you watching the trial at all, Veronica?

VERONICA: Yes, ma`am.

REYNOLDS: And so, your thoughts are?

VERONICA: That`s Jodi. She won`t show you what`s going on in her. She won`t show you.

PINSKY: Did she ever sort of flip into different characters where you were sort of surprised by the sort of range where she almost seemed like somebody else?

VERONICA: No, because Jodi has flat affect.

PINSKY: She was flat.

VERONICA: She doesn`t show happiness or sadness or nervousness. She -- oh. My grandmother had a saying. Butter wouldn`t melt in her mouth.

PINSKY: I`m going to say, Dr. Golland, you know, one of the things about sociopaths is they don`t experience much anxiety. So --

GOLLAND: Exactly. That`s exactly what I was thinking.

PINSKY: If Veronica is telling us something accurate, that would sort of fit with the sociopath/psychopath spectrum.

All right. Veronica, I hope you`ll hold for me because I have no doubt I`ll have more questions for you.

Next up, I promise to show you a tape of Jodi`s friend who alleges a different side to Jodi. I`m going to have Veronica maybe ring in on what this other friend is saying.

Then, I`ve got a guest who knows more about the Steubenville rape than anyone else apparently. He`s an insider and he says he`s going to tell us a different story. That`s next.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

PINSKY: We are back talking about the Jodi Arias trial with my co- host, Jillian Barberie Reynolds and our guests. Now, as I said, she`s got some supporters. I want to show you part of an in-session interview with her friend, Donavan Bering, talking about the Jodi she claims to know.

And I have Veronica -- as by the way, I`ve said before, I can`t confirm nor deny the veracity of what Veronica is telling us, but I want her to respond to this tape. Watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DONAVAN BERING, JODI ARIAS FAMILY FRIEND: I know Jodi well enough to know that if the situation could be taken back, it would be taken back. Jodi -- Jodi -- would not be in the situation she`s in if she could have helped it.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: So, Veronica, there`s someone that claims she knows -- I`m going to have the whole team listen to the Veronica respond to this knows Jodi. What do you say to that little tape?

VOICE OF VERONICA, SAYS SHE KNEW JODI ARIAS: Well --

(LAUGHTER)

VERONICA: Well, anyone who feels bad about something, Dr. Drew, is going to fess up. OK? This little girl --

(LAUGHTER)

VERONICA: Boy, she`s going to try the best she can to get out of it. I don`t understand the mentality of it, doctor, but boy, I sure worked with her and I knew her. And what I see in her trial and that flat affect and her just holding it all in and just acting like nothing is wrong.

PINSKY: And Veronica, was anyone ever concerned about her? Did anybody get the willies? Did anybody --

VERONICA: Oh, yes. I had co-workers at the restaurant who said, Veronica, stay away from her. What are you talking about? She`s a pretty little girl -- oh no, Veronica, stay away from her. There`s nothing wrong with her. She doesn`t show emotion. She doesn`t get upset. She doesn`t cry. We are wait staff. We are emotional, we are passionate, and she had nothing.

I am glad we can all express our different opinions here. I don't find Veronica unbelievable at all. I thought she was telling the truth. Jodi does has that flat affect.

As for sitting in the shower. I think that is totally weird. I think Travis was already hurt at that point and I see fear in his eyes. Regardless of what any of us think about TA sitting in the shower, or what Veronica says, we have to agree that Jodi is one scary lunatic. I do not think I would want to testify against that girl unless I knew beforehand that she would be locked away for life and could never find me!

In response to number four...I appreciate your perspective, but respectfully, I'm a bit shocked that such a sweeping generalization would be made regarding women...I've been to all girl schools my whole life and work in a predominantly female area of the Cook County Courthouse. I have never experienced such. Then again, your mileage may vary, and all that.
MOO and all that jazz (hey, I'm from Chicago...gotta throw in some jazz.)

It is reality. She said women...not ALL women and how many can be. Women can be extremely catty and horrible to each other. Mean Girls isn't just a movie-its a reality that many women and girls deal with. I was bullied by another girl in junior high.I have had female coworkers backstab me, female bosses who degraded and talked down to me. Not ALL women are like this but women are definitely, from studies I've seen, more apt to this type of ickiness than men. Course I don't have links to such now....might need to Google again. if you haven't had to deal with this behavior consider yourself lucky.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Time wise where in the photo taking is the 4 min break?

There is no 4 minute break. I think someone got that idea because of the way Juan presented the pictures out of order at one point, but he went back and filled in those gaps.

not sure of why it came up but on in session I believe
Jean Cassaris said that Jodi was very frugal. It's possible
that she just did not spend much money on anything but
absolute essentials. She always seemed to have a room mate
or lived with a family member as well which cuts costs.

Still does not sound like she made enough to support this stuff but...

Just out of curiosity...
Have there been any interviews/reports with room mates that you know of?

Just listened to opening statements again.
I think I know a specific angle that they will go with the defense.
I think they are going to play the elements of abuse besides physical
beatings. Something gave me the impression
that they are going to say Jodi had no where to go
to ask for help because Travis was everywhere and respected by everyone.

They will probably play up the " isolation" and claim that no one would hear a bad word about him and that she didn't want to ruin people's view of him
because he inspired so many people. They will probably claim that
the stalker things he said were to further discredit and isolate her.

They probably have nothing in the way of physical abuse so they have
to claim she hid all of it extremely well. So they will have to
paint a picture of a woman who was sucked
in by his public persona but once she saw the dark side could not get out.

The domestic violence expert will probably speak in generalities about
how abuse victims are isolated by their mate and will say that the inappropriate
behaviors ( such as licking ear at Hall home was to appease him to prevent him from getting
violent since they insinuate that she used sex to prevent violence) were to keep him happy

That strategy just won't work because she drove to him, not the other way around. She could have stayed home and keep the gun and knife in her purse for protection. Instead she used them both to slaughter the man.

actually when i heard she was a server in a high end resturant it made sense, she could easily make $900 in tips alone in a week and you can pick your days to work by just requesting or getting ppl to cover your shift - you can really get what ever time off you need - i think that jodi prolly did work w/ veronica, but i also think she sounded like a gossip and prolly was doing a lot of embelishing in her story - imo - plus a lot of servers lie about how much they make in tips to other employess so the don't have to tip a lot out to bartenders and busboys

Blanket statement - all females are catty. I'd agree if you said some, but not all.

same here - LOTS of females are catty but not ALL. I work as a teacher with an almost all female staff and not all of us are catty *****es.

If Travis was injured in that picture in which he is sitting in the shower, it's not apparent and isn't showing in the picture itself. As such I'm sticking with the state's explanation that he was fine at that moment and the attack started after that. I see no blood or wounds to indicate otherwise.

I am glad we can all express our different opinions here. I don't find Veronica unbelievable at all. I thought she was telling the truth. Jodi does has that flat affect.
snipped

The very first time she called in I thought to myself, oh here we go. As she talked, listening to her tone and such, I also found her believable. What she had to say wasn't over the top and as you said, described JA perfectly. jmo

actually when i heard she was a server in a high end resturant it made sense, she could easily make $900 in tips alone in a week and you can pick your days to work by just requesting or getting ppl to cover your shift - you can really get what ever time off you need - i think that jodi prolly did work w/ veronica, but i also think she sounded like a gossip and prolly was doing a lot of embelishing in her story - imo - plus a lot of servers lie about how much they make in tips to other employess so the don't have to tip a lot out to bartenders and busboys

Just adding that a commenter on some blog or something said they worked with JA at the Ventana Inn in Big Sur which is VERY $$$$$.

If Travis was injured in that picture in which he is sitting in the shower, it's not apparent and isn't showing in the picture itself. As such I'm sticking with the state's explanation that he was fine at that moment and the attack started after that. I see no blood or wounds to indicate otherwise.

i have to agree - if he had been shot or stabbed at that point there would be blood every where - and the photo guy from the LE did say that because they were thumbnail photos they recovered - that when they were enlarged there was some distortion in the pics from shadows and such

Hi, Polleypockets. All my former waitress friends agree that pretty waitresses make more. And trading for or adding someone else's shifts is not uncommon; indeed, two actress/waitresses I knew sought such gigs, especially if the shifts were more prime time.

As you say, the sociology of restaurant workers is a topic of endless fascination. I ate at my favorite local several times a week for more than twenty years and I heard tattle and putdowns about which the managers were blissfully ignorant.

I brought up... the other day, that Jodi is a Cancer. Maybe no one is really interested in what her sign is.....and that is ok. Some people don't believe in all the cosmic/astrological mumbo jumbo... But... since it has been mentioned that there is so little known about her... I thought I would share this with you all. It's an interesting read.... Hope everyone is having a great day!

Inside The Mind of Jodi Arias
http://www.lindacrystal.com/tag/jodi-arias/

I used to read a lot about astrology and yes, Jodi has those characteristics. But the other signs in her chart might be just as important or moreso. I have known some wonderful Cancer women in my life. Jodi is just whacked, regardless of her Sign.

In response to number four...I appreciate your perspective, but respectfully, I'm a bit shocked that such a sweeping generalization would be made regarding women...I've been to all girl schools my whole life and work in a predominantly female area of the Cook County Courthouse. I have never experienced such. Then again, your mileage may vary, and all that.
MOO and all that jazz (hey, I'm from Chicago...gotta throw in some jazz.)

If any of you honestly and sincerely thought I ment that each and every woman on this planet
is catty then accept my apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member