The Verdict is In - post your thoughts here

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Brad was feeling that rage once again. He focused in on the target of that rage today: the jury, the ADAs, possibly even the Rentz family. That was not a look of sadness, nor of regret. That was sheer anger.

That could be 'the look' so many of her friends saw.

With all my problems watching the trial over the last two weeks - I was so freaking pleased that I got to watch the verdict live!!! I watched and teared up as judge got choked up - and I cried as the family hugged the Detectives and DA's staff. I watched Mr. Rentz with a few comments from the courtroom before I had to sign off. I was sooooo relieved to hear that guilty, first degree!! I had steeled myself to a hung jury at best and for the horrible not guilty that I thought could have happened. So I was holding my breath and totally - absolutely relieved to hear that guilty. Brad Cooper got exactly what he deserved - guilty and life without parole. I pray for the children and for Nancy's family, and pray that their domestic violence work is rewarding for them and helps others who find themselves in much the same situation as Nancy.

One down, two to go - Jason and Raven, your day of reckoning is coming.

And yes, Chris Coleman, you didn't get away with it either!!! There's a special place in hell for you, buddy!

I can honestly say that I am embarassed today, by our legal justice system. I am. There was no legality in this case. I have no trust in our police department in this town. Between the judge's prejudice and biasness; the lack of ANY proven evidence; and the fact that BC was sent to jail for the remainder of his life based on pure lies and gossip is dumbfounding.

<modsnip> I hope this case goes to appeal with the truth finally coming out and disclosing all of the lies and acts of corruption that surfaced throughout incredibly biased trial.

:bling:

That could be 'the look' so many of her friends saw.

You are so right - and why they knew immediately that something was terribly wrong and "wasn't going to end well."

I will only say that I feel that they reached the right verdict. It does not correct that those little girls will never have a mother and will likely never have a functional relationship with their father. My hope is that the family that remains (BOTH sides) pull together in the raising of those little girls and everyone is able to remain equally involved if they choose to be.

In that photo that was posted, I actually think Brad was looking back at the Rentz's and Nancy's friends. But he did not look back at his parents, he did not try to get one last contact with them, he did not show emotion. His parents aren't going to move to North Carolina just to be close to him, their lives will move on, their relationship with Brad will be letters and occasional phone calls and maybe a visit once to twice a year.

In his heart, he may have known this was the way the verdict was going to go once the Google map was shown. Reality will set in soon but maybe he is convinced in his mind that an appeal will overturn this decision.

It is a sad day for both families. Former friends and classmates are posting about it on Facebook. It has been a long 2 1/2 years. RIP Nancy. I think that justice has been served for you today.

Dear WolfpackWoman

Gessner is not biased and American justice ruled supreme here. The logic sprang out. Faith and society believe in a real justice system and I, more than anyone funnily enough, believe that the USA has the best, strongest and tightest justice system in the world. There is little room for corruption, terrorism, deception or failure.

The many inconsistencies and illogical actions screamed out in this case. Brad's lies were more than all too apparent. His alibi and time-line failed dismally - mainly because there are never coincidences in a murder - and BC had way too many of them. Personally, I believe this emotionally charged trial garnered a clan with an inbred desire to get back at LE (for whatever reason) as opposed to seeing true facts & justice.

All of this is my opinion and I've long said I could never sit on this jury. BC has received his verdict. What he did was heinous.

You'll be missed in future trials here, tho. Go well ....

Polk

I wish I could share your pride in American justice, but I know too much. My assessment would be the same whatever the verdict. I hope that justice was served today, and if not then will be upon appeal. Whether you agree with the verdict or not, it should be nearly impossible to ignore issues of evidence and process, the risks they pose, and the magnitude of the problem.

Until the trial began, I assumed he probably did it and would be found guilty. As the evidence was presented in court, many of the key facts were reduced to here-say and opinion. I had dismissed defense claims of evidence tampering and destruction because that claim is often made regarding computer evidence, but almost never proven the case.

The actions of the CPD in this case made such claims plausible in the general, and in the specific of erasing NC's phone it is in evidence, though allegedly a serious of accidents. Even if one were to accept that assertion, the delay in informing defense, the cover-up, and the misleading and false statements under oath are more than enough to warrant an investigation of possible obstruction of justice and similar charges.

Many at this site cheered when the judge ruled JW could not testify to matters that a computer forensic expert could, ignoring the many areas of common expertise between the two specialties. When a substitute expert was proposed but denied on grounds that the State was unprepared and adversely affected, the defense was barred from presenting a witness to rebut.
ETA: The ruling was roughly equivalent of not allowing an expert in a medical specialty from discussing a autopsy.

Whether there was actual tampering or not, the CPD made error after error that made it at least a possibility in this case. Those cheering the legal gamesmanship in this case might feel differently if a defendant. You would be surprised how easy it would be using little more than SWF from a hacked site and running within your browser environment to download kiddie *advertiser censored* without you noticing. Could you prove your innocence?

I

Unrelated to any of that or this case, here is an example of how routine is the mis-administration of justice in NC:

http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/www/ids/Brief Bank/Briefs/McRae, Shawn.doc

I am not familiar with NC law. If someone knows could you explain the appeal process, at least the initial steps.

In Cali anyone convicted of Murder in the 1st Degree with a death sentence gets an automatic review by the CA Supreme Court. This takes from 8-11 years.

Does NC grant an automatic review or appeal for life sentences? If so, what is the approximate waiting period for the appeal or review?

Are their different types of appeals?

Just wondering, if anyone knows or has time.

He has a right to an appeal, it is not however automatic, if by automatic you mean he doesn't have to do anything to initiate the appeal.

There are deadlines for everything that start to run as soon as the judgment is filed. As far as I remember, he has 14 days to file notice of appeal. Then there's I think another 14 days to order the transcript of the proceeding. The court reporter or transcriber has something like 2 months to do the transcribing and send it to the parties. From there, the appellant would serve a proposed record on appeal and the record would need to be settled by agreement or by operation of law. After the record is settled and filed, the appeal is docketed, goes through a bunch of administrative steps behind the scenes at the COA, it is assigned to a panel and a hearing date and given a designation for being heard with or without oral argument (it will most certainly have oral argument here). After the hearing, you can usually expect a decision by the panel within 3 to 6 months. If the panel is unanimous, then the losing party can seek review by the NC Supreme Court through a petition for discretionary review. If the decision of the panel is split, the losing party has an appeal of right to the Supreme Court and a similar process starts all over again for the appeal to the Supreme Court. From start to finish in the COA, expect 12 to 18 months. If it gets to the Supreme Court, add another year or two to that.

Hope that helps.

With all my problems watching the trial over the last two weeks - I was so freaking pleased that I got to watch the verdict live!!! I watched and teared up as judge got choked up - and I cried as the family hugged the Detectives and DA's staff. I watched Mr. Rentz with a few comments from the courtroom before I had to sign off. I was sooooo relieved to hear that guilty, first degree!! I had steeled myself to a hung jury at best and for the horrible not guilty that I thought could have happened. So I was holding my breath and totally - absolutely relieved to hear that guilty. Brad Cooper got exactly what he deserved - guilty and life without parole. I pray for the children and for Nancy's family, and pray that their domestic violence work is rewarding for them and helps others who find themselves in much the same situation as Nancy.

One down, two to go - Jason and Raven, your day of reckoning is coming.

And yes, Chris Coleman, you didn't get away with it either!!! There's a special place in hell for you, buddy!

Don't forget Scott Morris:

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/6845829/

Well, it seems that everyone is writing their going away messages, so I'll get in on some of that.

I posted back on 4/2 that BC was going to be found guilty and that I had no doubt. I still think by week 2 or 3, the jury had mostly made up their mind and that the defense needed to pull a rabbit out of a hat to change BC's fate. There was no rabbit.

I did start thinking that a hung jury was a slight possibility, if there were no jurors with technical backgrounds. My guess is that there was at least one technical juror that helped them understand the technical evidence (and non-evidence).

I posted back in 2008 that BC's lawyers were fools for letting him do that deposition and that some day it was going to be used against him. That proved to be the case.

I do still think that the prosecution's case was a circus and that they are lucky that they didn't screw it up to the point of letting a wife killer walk. In the big picture, it's kind of scary that people can be convicted with so little actual evidence. But, I have no doubt that he did it, so if the choice was between a flawed case and a man getting away with killing his wife, I'd rather accept the flawed case.

I also think that it's obvious that the Cary PD was not ready for a case like this. I would hope that if/when they end up in this kind of situation again, the seek some help from more experienced investigators.

I am still kind of stunned that this was premeditated. I always find it hard to believe that someone [presumably sane] with enough time to think about it would not realize that the chances of them getting away with murder are infinitesimally small.

With that, I guess the Hispanics and I will board the pink and white van and ride off into the sunset. I enjoyed the company and will kind of miss this place in a crazy kind of way!

So 12 to 18 months once the case is in the COA. How long does it take a case to get to the COA?

Oh, yes, thank you Skittles - let's not forget this monster also! We'll be watching you too Mr. Morris. What in the world do men in N.C. think??!!! That it's open season on wives??!! There's going to be a little club down there at Central - hope they like their little cots and hots.

Don't forget Raven.:loser:
I heard tell he has a court date 8-1-11

Well, it seems that everyone is writing their going away messages, so I'll get in on some of that.

I'm not saying good bye. I'm moving over to the Young and Abaroa forums. In between I'll be playing golf because I am NOT in prison.

So 12 to 18 months once the case is in the COA. How long does it take a case to get to the COA?

In a perfect world, the appeal would be docketed in the COA in about 4 months. This case will most likely be outside of the 12-18 month norm, as I'm sure there will be multiple motions for extensions of time, motions to waive certain rules of appellate procedure, etc. By example, Michael Peterson's decision came down from the COA about 3 years after his conviction. I don't think this one will take that long, but 2 or 2.5 years wouldn't shock me.

While ultimately, I believe the correct person has been convicted of the crime (although I will always have moments of doubt), I am still highly disappointed in the whole process and some of the actions of the people we pay to represent us and protect us.

I went to Brittaby Ct. tonight. I haven't been there in a couple of years. I was flooded with emotions from these last couple of months. I couldn't help but wonder as I drove down Fielding Dr. (and what a long drive that is) if he had his lights off. I parked at the beginning of the court because a couple of homeowners were out talking. The street is so different now with 3 beautiful homes filling the cul-de-sac. There will never be a home where her body was found. I spent a few minutes talking to them (one was the mother in law of the Toll Brother witness that testified). Then, I went over to where Nancy's body was found. I stood where I thought she actually layed. The drainage pond has been filled now and the area is just a grass field. I was surprised by the emotion of being there. I never felt that emotion in the few other times I visited the site. I said a silent prayer for Nancy in hopes that she can finally rest in peace. I also said a prayer that the right person was convicted this evening. I realized standing there how emotionally invested I have become in this during the past 2 months. I just don't think I can follow another trial like this. I'm drained and ready to get back to normal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kroberts47421