The Verdict is In - post your thoughts here

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if I happen to show up in the Jason Young case, it won't be under the same circumstances. Because I'm already on the completely biased I think he is guilty as hell train, and I'm not coming off of it.

I hope you will follow the JY case. It has been a pleasure to post with you. Your analytical mind is very helpful in analyzing cases. I plan to follow JY but doubt I will be in limbo as I was on this case. Thank you for your previous post regarding going by Felding.

In listening to the news media on the verdict tonight, HC stated that at the end of the day, it came down to common sense. If one uses common sense, it becomes much easier to convict BC of murder. However, for first degree, I believe the map might have played a big role. I was thinking that JG added second degree to cover individuals who might doubt the validity of the map. I believe the right decision was made, but I still have nagging questions regarding whether it was first degree or second. Hopefully NC's family can heal and give the girls the nurturing and love they so deserve. If any family can, I believe it is this family. Mr. R is such a gracious and well spoken man. It has been a pleasure bouncing ideas with all of you here in WS.

I agree with most of you that BC is probably where he belongs. I would like to have more confidence in the evidence, but it's likely he did it and I'm pleased the jury reviewed the data and didn't just come back in 1 day. They thought it through.

I have been so impressed by NC's family. The are truly remarkable people and their reaction yesterday, extending the olive branch to BC's family for their shared grandkids was telling. Those kids, while being dealt a very cruel hand in life at such an early age, will be fine.

I did have some weird thoughts about BC last night. Like how it must feel knowing you will never be free again. At least during the trial he had hope. Now he has none. I thought it was sad too how he didn't turn around to see his parents. Maybe they discussed it beforehand and decided it would be too hard emotionally. Who knows. HK looked devastated. I wonder if he truly thinks BC was innocent.

Have a great Friday.

I agree with most of you that BC is probably where he belongs. I would like to have more confidence in the evidence, but it's likely he did it and I'm pleased the jury reviewed the data and didn't just come back in 1 day. They thought it through.

I have been so impressed by NC's family. The are truly remarkable people and their reaction yesterday, extending the olive branch to BC's family for their shared grandkids was telling. Those kids, while being dealt a very cruel hand in life at such an early age, will be fine.

I did have some weird thoughts about BC last night. Like how it must feel knowing you will never be free again. At least during the trial he had hope. Now he has none. I thought it was sad too how he didn't turn around to see his parents. Maybe they discussed it beforehand and decided it would be too hard emotionally. Who knows. HK looked devastated. I wonder if he truly thinks BC was innocent.

Have a great Friday.

HK did look shocked and devastated. I think he thought there were significant holes in the prosecution's case for reasonable doubt. MOO Have a good Friday, BR. See you on JY case?

A funny thing happened at Scouts tonight. ( 5/5/2011 between 7 and 7:45 PM) We had a fun festival with jump houses, ball throw, slides, tug o war. My son was wandering around, and finally I called him to me. He said a boy gave him something and walked away and he could not find him. My son looked the whole time for him and he could not find him. The little boy gave him a clear rock with a silver angel in it. My son was in tears because he could not find the boy. I told him not to worry and that it might have been an angel saying thank you! True story.

Guess Amanda Lamb will be busy this weekend writing the final chapter of her new book
(December 2011 publish date).

Of course. Nothing like capitalizing on someone's murder to make an easy buck.

HK did look shocked and devastated. I think he thought there were significant holes in the prosecution's case for reasonable doubt. MOO Have a good Friday, BR. See you on JY case?

Nope! This was enough for me. I can't do another trial so close to this. This consumed my life. Summer is about to be here, kids will be out of school.....

I've enjoyed your posts though! You have always been open-minded and unbiased and brought a lot to the discussion.

I just watched the wral special and the interview with NC's parents. Nice closure for me.

Of course. Nothing like capitalizing on someone's murder to make an easy buck.

If she didn't write it, someone else would. And people like us buy them (or me - just rent them at the library). I'm glad my library has a self check out system so nobody monitors what I read.

I'll be curious to see if this makes it to Dateline or 48 Hours. It's always interesting to see another perspective of the case. The only other case I have followed so closely (online) was Melanie McGuire (nurse who murdered husband and put in suitcase). When she was featured on 48 Hours and Snapped it was interesting to see small details I hadn't known before.

In listening to the news media on the verdict tonight, HC stated that at the end of the day, it came down to common sense. If one uses common sense, it becomes much easier to convict BC of murder. However, for first degree, I believe the map might have played a big role. I was thinking that JG added second degree to cover individuals who might doubt the validity of the map. I believe the right decision was made, but I still have nagging questions regarding whether it was first degree or second. Hopefully NC's family can heal and give the girls the nurturing and love they so deserve. If any family can, I believe it is this family. Mr. R is such a gracious and well spoken man. It has been a pleasure bouncing ideas with all of you here in WS.

I think the map did him in. It was really the ONLY tiny piece of evidence that was concrete to me. You could actually see it.

I think if he was to be found guilty, 1st degree had to be the verdict. Like we've all said, strangling by itself is premeditated. Any time during those 3 minutes, he could have stopped. Sure, NC wouldn't have let it go - she probably would have pressed charges and he'd be in a boatload of trouble. But he coulda and shoulda stopped. Since he didn't, he got 1st degree murder.

I think the map did him in. It was really the ONLY tiny piece of evidence that was concrete to me. You could actually see it.

I think if he was to be found guilty, 1st degree had to be the verdict. Like we've all said, strangling by itself is premeditated. Any time during those 3 minutes, he could have stopped. Sure, NC wouldn't have let it go - she probably would have pressed charges and he'd be in a boatload of trouble. But he coulda and shoulda stopped. Since he didn't, he got 1st degree murder.

Yes, I agree the map probably was the convincing piece of evidence for the jury. It is tangible and was never able to be proved planted or date changed. I also think the lack of emotion from BC during this entire time (from the very first day) did not help him at all. It doesn't fit in well with expectations if your spouse is found dead like that. Hope you have a great summer, BR.

I think Brad was feeling that rage once again. He focused in on the target of that rage today: the jury, the ADAs, possibly even the Rentz family. That was not a look of sadness, nor of regret. That was sheer anger.

Think about this: the judge, the jury, the spectators in the courtroom...all showed more emotion for the victim, as well as the sad fate of the defendant, than the defendant ever did. The judge choking up affected me; he cannot enjoy having to sentence someone to LWOP.

OMG, Madeleine. Chilling. I logged on to say exactly this - but read last few pages first. Your thoughts stunned, yet truly echoed mine - here's what I was going to post:

"I saw a brutal, vindictive hate in the face of that man as he left. He had no concern, emotion or gesture in the world toward his own family or legal team. Anywhere else, outside a court of law, I swear he'd have leaped forward and throttled Nancy's family and friends, too..".

Hooo boy. This is a real live biting killer-shark caught in nets he certainly didn't anticipate until the moment the verdict came out. He was too intelligent to be caught, in his mind.

What a nasty piece of work, indeed. Hope the key rusts and he rots!

OMG, Madeleine. Chilling. I logged on to say exactly this - but read last few pages first. Your thoughts stunned, yet truly echoed mine - here's what I was going to post:

"I saw a brutal, vindictive hate in the face of that man as he left. He had no concern, emotion or gesture in the world toward his own family or legal team. Anywhere else, outside a court of law, I swear he'd have leaped forward and throttled Nancy's family and friends, too..".

Hooo boy. This is a real live biting killer-shark caught in nets he certainly didn't anticipate until the moment the verdict came out. He was too intelligent to be caught, in his mind.

What a nasty piece of work, indeed. Hope the key rusts and he rots!

You know, I just didn't see the same thing you saw. I saw no emotion on his face at all------the same thing I saw on HK. This man just seems to hold his emotions inside him. Heck, I don't mean to defend him at all, but I just didn't see that brutal vindictive hate in his face. I would imagine he wouldn't be too happy right now.

Yes, I agree the map probably was the convincing piece of evidence for the jury. It is tangible and was never able to be proved planted or date changed. I also think the lack of emotion from BC during this entire time (from the very first day) did not help him at all. It doesn't fit in well with expectations if your spouse is found dead like that. Hope you have a great summer, BR.

Hi cody .... y'ole sparrin pardner here, lol. OK ... do you seriously believe that all through this trial that the map was the only "bit" that did it? Despite many crucial hours of critical FBI testimony none of us were privy to? Despite the enormous amount of lies, deception and evasiveness in Brad's depos?

What about the inconsistencies? The way he bullied her? Cutting her off and isolating her in her own "stolen freedom" ?

I think the jury studied the entire program, here. And I think what Det Daniels said "take away all the techno gibberish - this was domestic violence at its worst" (or words to that effect) ... rang true for 12 intelligent, capable and dedicated citizens. Immense trial. Immense emotion.

Commendable if not historic team effort by CPD and prosecution. The nay-sayers will always knock LE. So be it. Justice won. Rest in Peace Nancy Cooper. BC finally cooked his goose.

I hope you will follow the JY case. It has been a pleasure to post with you. Your analytical mind is very helpful in analyzing cases. I plan to follow JY but doubt I will be in limbo as I was on this case. Thank you for your previous post regarding going by Felding.

Great news, cody! See you in the JY forum - now that's a case *very* close to me - and many here, too.

BTW - I leaped from here to Vincent Tabak - and just as I thought - the monster *confessed* to (manslaughter) murdering Jo Yeates. Man oh man ... what is it with these people? Guess murder is older than the world's most popular and longstanding "profession", eh?

From there I stopped back at Wral's twitter-box (still don't know how twit works - just read these eternal rollin messages). Boy! Was there ever another ugly bun-fight in that place. Scary is as scary does! How can people post F words and what have you all over the 'Net? Just does me 'ole head in! Don't ever want to tweet if that's how strangers respond. Methinks the 'Net is a den of evil sometimes. Wow.

What is really puzzling about that is Brad submits to the examination, but then consents to a temporary custody order in favor of the Rentz' before he is arrested. It appears his lawyers expected him to hold up to examination, but then when they saw what he said, they realized their mistake and buried the issue as quick as they could. This would suggest Brad was not forthright with his attorneys at the beginning, or that Brad actually convinced them he could get through the examination unscathed. Had he told them he did it, they would have circled the wagons and their client would have been in a better position going into the criminal trial. Maybe they thought he also wouldn't be charged. In any event, allowing him to participate in the examination --regardless-- of innocence or guilt was a major mistake.

From a public perception point of view, Brad could have released a statement "I love my children more than life itself, and to protect my ability to be there for them in the future, my attorneys have prohibited me from testifying in the custody case at this time. There will be a time I will testify to win custody, but it is in their best interests that I not do that now. I wish the best for my children in the capable and loving care of the Rentz family."

I suppose hindsight is 20/20 for Brad's team, but submitting to that deposition was an obvious mistake even at the time.

Being deposed wasn't optional for BC. The Rentzes subpoenaed him to give his testimony in a deposition and he was required to attend. He could have asserted his 5th Amendment right against self incrimination, but by doing so in a civil trial it allows the trier of fact to infer that his answer to the question posed would have been adverse to his position.

Don't forget Raven.:loser:
I heard tell he has a court date 8-1-11

Oh, I didn't forget Raven. I said one down (BC), two to go (JY & RA) - and skittles reminded me of Mr. Morris!! N.C. had a terrible, terrible run of murdering husbands who thought they were smarter than the police. I hope when the prison cells slam shut that others thinking the same thing might just rethink their murderous plans and sign up with a divorce lawyer instead.

You know, I just didn't see the same thing you saw. I saw no emotion on his face at all------the same thing I saw on HK. This man just seems to hold his emotions inside him. Heck, I don't mean to defend him at all, but I just didn't see that brutal vindictive hate in his face. I would imagine he wouldn't be too happy right now.

Hey. Gr8 post - goes to demonstrate perfectly that eye-witness testimony is never an ideal. You "think" you saw some-one / something ... but another sees something else. Indeed, cody - and I fully respect your interpretation. But surely you ma agree on one thing? That BC did not turn and acknowledge anyone, least of all his shocked, stunned and gravely pained parents?

Mean, IMO.

So - one act. Different views. So long as we all know exactly where he's headed, I can live with that. His happiness, comfort, feelings - or lack of the same ... is like nowhere in my orbit of concern. His deadly but deliberate denials, deception and despicable ways earned the revulsion of many. Confirms in my heart this man planned the murder. Just MO ...

Oh, I didn't forget Raven. I said one down (BC), two to go (JY & RA) - and skittles reminded me of Mr. Morris!! N.C. had a terrible, terrible run of murdering husbands who thought they were smarter than the police. I hope when the prison cells slam shut that others thinking the same thing might just rethink their murderous plans and sign up with a divorce lawyer instead.

Hi less!!! :great:

Exacta-mundo!

Scuse me bargin in ... Missed ya since I resurfaced from cyber space. Sent you a pm.

At times the defense placed doubt in me, just as Mr. Rentz stated it occured with him. The defense did present a strong case, which I can't deny.

However, I had flashbacks of the custody hearing and RKAB postings. Narcossistic personality, an IQ in 99%. Remembering he can't take defeat, because it is about controlling and winning.
The one day I attended the trial was the day Mrs Rentz took the stand. While waiting for the jury to leave for the day she remained on the stand, she was weeping, she tilted her head towards her shoulder and looked at BC wih begging eyes. You could read what she was asking, "WHY?" She did this for several minutes, she was so weak, and all she wanted was eye contact. He refused to look up.

With the CE presented and my 2 days in court...BC is GUILTY as charged.

RIP Nancy

Hey. Gr8 post - goes to demonstrate perfectly that eye-witness testimony is never an ideal. You "think" you saw some-one / something ... but another sees something else. Indeed, cody - and I fully respect your interpretation. But surely you ma agree on one thing? That BC did not turn and acknowledge anyone, least of all his shocked, stunned and gravely pained parents?

Mean, IMO.

So - one act. Different views. So long as we all know exactly where he's headed, I can live with that. His happiness, comfort, feelings - or lack of the same ... is like nowhere in my orbit of concern. His deadly but deliberate denials, deception and despicable ways earned the revulsion of many. Confirms in my heart this man planned the murder. Just MO ...

You are right about eye witness testimony. He did not acknowledge anyone, and I thought that was indicative of his shock, perhaps his coldness or detachment. I would guess his parents are gravely pained. I hope in time they can see those two precious girls. How gracious of NC's family to reach out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966