Theory Thread - What happened at Pistorius' house on the night of Feb. 13, 2013?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started listening to Nel's cross-examination again. It's just breathtaking to listen to the number of lies coming out one after another right from the word go. When you hear the story the first time around, all you're concentrating on is listening to it. The second or third time around you the pick the lies instantly. Originally I was going to compose a list but it would be too long so I've scrapped that idea. My all time favourite though is still "I'll try not to lie". I mean seriously, who'd say that? I've never heard a defendant use those words in my entire life. I sincerely hope Masipa and her assessors made a note of that amazing statement. I'm only sorry Nel didn't run that by him towards the end and then give a brief ... but I guess brief would have been impossible ... list of some of them. I absolutely can't wait to see the look on his and the family's faces when that verdict gets handed down.

Well we all see things differently and I definitely agree with you observations.....................but if i had £100 for every time he said " I'm not sure M'lady"
He's not sure !! wtf....................he's fighting for his life and he's not sure?
Words escape me on his and his defence teams in capabilities they really do.
Aimho:)

Val, Pistorius said he didn't scream once the door was broken down and he saw Reeva, as he was 'broken'.

My own thoughts are that Reeva Steenkamp was dead and could no longer scream, and he was dumbstruck in a silent panic thinking 'What have I just done and what do I do now?'

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Jimmy...............my thoughts are he smashed the door in with the cricket bat and could see her through the open cracks in the wood frame.
She could also see him and hear him telling her he was going to blow her brains out.
Hence...........
Her blood curdling screams coming to a crescendo of 'fearing for her life' as per a witness/witnesses.

As for OP being dumbstruck and in a silent panic.......yeah rite.

I set my alarm to watch the OJ trial........................I can still remember every day and the look on his face when he was found not guilty.
I still can't believe it to this day I really can't.

“The reasonable man”.

Let’s go beyond that established legal standard - let us be even more equitable towards Oscar Pistorius.

“The reasonable amputee.”

Let’s judge OP’s actions that night more narrowly to his favor, against his peers - ALL amputee Paralympians who participate in T43/T44 athletics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_2012_Summer_Paralympics_T/F42–46

And even more generously in Oscar’s favor -

>>> Only those from South Africa.

http://www.paralympic.org/athletes/biographies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_at_the_2012_Summer_Paralympics#Athletics

For the sake of complete fairness and assuming every single one of them are also “insecure”, “anxious”, “vulnerable” SA Paralympians - ALL “trained to react to a sound” - how many have suddenly “snapped” and killed someone “accidentally” when they’re “startled” by a “sound”?

By my latest count ... ONE.

Yet OP keeps insisting that he’s once again The One Special Exception.

Gosh, it's exciting just thinking of it.

I kept my diary free as soon as I heard when the verdict would be given. I hope it doesn't last more than a day though, because I'm busy the next day. A couple of legal experts said it could last between 1-3 days because of how much evidence there is.
I reckon she'll keep us guessing to some extent, but the key issue will be if she decides to reject Oscar's testimony. If she does, we will have a very good idea of what's to come. If not, it might be nail biting. [emoji4]

BBM - Good grief !! I hope they're wrong. I had simply assumed the verdict/verdicts would be passed down on the 11th.

I wonder if I will be the only person on here who will be keeping everything switched off on 11/9 coz whatever the verdict, it will make me feel physically sick .. if he's found guilty, then that will be confirmation of what Reeva went through that night, and if he's found not guilty then I will be sickened that he's got away with it, so either way is not going to be good news and certainly isn't anything I'm looking forward to hearing.

Hmmm.. well, I will feel 1000 times worse if OP is found not guilty. But even if guilty, he will remain free on bail while he appeals, and that bugs me.

Hi Pandax… I enjoy debating with you… I do not want to appear rude or confrontational either… let us take it step by step with short points we can agree/disagree with… I believe we are very close to same POV.

1. PD or PPD does not mean the victim died… the result of acting in PD or PPD can be many things : nothing, injury, death

2. PD and PPD is not a verdict… if a PD or PPD case is fully successful, the accused is acquitted.

3. A judge may find that the accused acted lawfully within the bounds of PD AND still find him guilty of culpable homicide : the accused shot his attacker but one bullet missed its intended target and killed an innocent bystander.

3. The only difference between the definition of PD and PPD :

- PD : the accused subjectively and correctly perceived a threat which objectively did exist… the accused acted with force upon that perceived threat with the belief he was lawfully defending himself… the intent was lawful and the actions were also lawful.

- PPD : the accused subjectively but mistakenly perceived a threat which objectively did NOT exist… the accused acted with force upon that perceived threat with the belief he was lawfully defending himself… the intent was lawful but the actions were unlawful.

4. PD is relatively easy because the threat was objectively real… therefore the intent to defend has to be lawful

5. PPD is far more complicated because the threat was objectively absent… therefore the intent could be lawful (defend) or the intent could be unlawful (murder)… the way to determine the nature of the intent is to evaluate the testimony of the accused (if available) and the evidence

6. There is a fundamental difference between a definition of PD or PPD and the way the law is applied to come to a legal finding of PD or PPD… The fact the accused perceived a threat (real or not) and acted with force upon that threat IS NOT the ONLY requirement for a finding of PD or PPD… there are strict guidelines that circumscribe PD and PPD with regards to the ATTACK and the DEFENCE.

For example, do you agree the imminence of danger is a fundamental part of both PD and PPD ?

e.g.

You have a very bad relationship with your neighbor named Bob… many arguments and confrontations in the past year with Bob… Bob is a short-tempered man… Bob is a violent man who as been arrested on many occasions for assault and other violence related charges… you know Bob owns many guns…

Today, you and Bob are at it again in front of your house… Bob is furious with you… Bob threatens you by saying he is going to get a gun and kill you… Bob leaves and goes towards his house with a rapid determined stride.

You honestly believe Bob will carry out his threat… you honestly fear for your life as most people who know Bob would… you pull out your gun, shoot Bob in the back and kill him.

Do you agree that a PD or PPD case would fail in those circumstances because there was no imminent danger ?

Do you agree that a PD or PPD case would also fail in those circumstances because you could have retreated into your house, called the police, etc… because shooting Bob was not the only alternative available to you to avoid the danger ?

Do you agree that the Judge may find you honestly believed you were in danger and therefore your intent was lawful BUT your actions were ultimately unlawful ?

Hi AJ

Thanks. I enjoy debating with you too, glad we see it the same way and can speak freely!

Our first issue is: do I understand your position, and do you understand my position? We need to be clear and agree on this first, before we can decide anything else.

Now, I have read your last post carefully. I could answer each point, and I may well do that in a later post for completeness. But, most of it seems irrelevant to the issue at hand, so I fear we would be opening cans of worms that don’t need to be opened. Forgive me if I put forward a different route to advance this discussion.

Let me first put aside your point number 6

I previously gave a definition of putative private defence as someone believing he was acting in private defence when in fact he was not. In your point 3 you included in your definition the belief he was lawfully defending himself.

Therefore, if there are objective requirements x, y, z to act in private defence, then an accused who knows the law and who acts in putative private defence must have subjectively believed the requirements x, y, z were met. It is logically entailed by the definition - believed acting in private defence.

Now onto our positions and the differences

'My' position

Putative private defence = subjective belief acting in private defence, when in fact not the case

It is a simple definition that leaves open the possibility of being objectively reasonable or objectively unreasonable in your beliefs and conduct

You can therefore kill in putative private defence and be found guilty of culpable homicide, because you may have been objectively unreasonable and negligent in the killing based on what a reasonable person would have believed and done

(It is even possible to argue that you can kill in putative private defence and be found guilty of murder by dolus eventualis, because you may have foreseen the risk that you may not be acting in private defence. This is a subtle point best left for another time though)

And of course as we both agree you can kill in putative private defence and be acquitted of murder and culpable homicide.

My understanding of Your position

Putative private defence = subjective belief acting in private defence, when in fact not the case AND you MUST have been objectively reasonable in your belief and conduct based on what a reasonable person would have done, therefore you must be acquitted of murder AND culpable homicide

It is a complex definition that has an added requirement of objective reasonableness that has come from somewhere.

If you kill in putative private defence, you must therefore be acquitted of murder and culpable homicide.

Evidence in support of my position (bbm)

1. The meaning of the words in English: ‘putative’ means ‘believed’. So putative private defence means believed private defence. It follows as a matter of logic that this may be reasonable or unreasonable. The words simply do not contain any reference or limitation to ‘reasonable putative private defence’.

2. Judges in judgements consistently agree and use the term in accordance with the position I lay out. I have read about 10 judgements and they all adhere to the same.

In S v De Oliveira a defining judgement by the Supreme Court of Appeal this is explicit: “In putative private defence it is not lawfulness that is in issue but culpability ("skuld"). If an accused honestly believes his life or property to be in danger, but objectively viewed they are not, the defensive steps he takes cannot constitute private defence. If in those circumstances he kills someone his conduct is unlawful. His erroneous belief that his life or property was in danger may well (depending upon the precise circumstances) exclude dolus in which case liability for the person's death based on intention will also be excluded; at worst for him he can then be convicted of culpable homicide.” http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZASCA/1993/62.html

The judge goes on to state that on appeal the accused accepts he was unreasonable in his belief and conduct and rightly so. The judge then STILL goes on to consider whether he did or did not act in putative private defence and gives his reasons why this is not the case. He does not consider that because he was unreasonable he cannot have acted in putative private defence. It is therefore clear that objective reasonableness is not viewed as a requirement of putative private defence.

3. Counsel in judgements also agree with the definition and use the term in accordance with the position I lay out. Eg Lutchman Naidoo v S “Appellant’s counsel further submitted that if it is found, objectively viewed, that the appellant’s life was not under threat, the appellant erroneously believed that it was in danger and that he therefore acted in putative self defence. The submission was further made that the erroneous belief of the appellant excluded dolus and he should have been convicted of culpable homicide only.” http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZASCA/2010/40.html

4. Professor James Grant, professor of criminal law in SA, has written extensively on the matter and in relation to the OP case. He also agrees with the definition and uses the term in accordance with the position I lay out. Here he says an accused may have acted in putative private defence and still be found guilty of culpable homicide: “Thus, if Pistorius’s defence is that he was mistaken in acting in self/private defence (that is, putative self/private defence), he must be acquitted on the murder charge if the court accepts that this is reasonably possibly true. But the court will then consider whether this mistake was one that a reasonable gun owner may make.” http://criminallawza.net

5. In all the expert legal panels and discussion on the OP case, every one I have heard has agreed with the definition and used the term in accordance with the position I lay out.

Evidence in support of your position

As far as I can tell, you read from an unidentified source on the internet some time ago that putative private defence MUST be objectively reasonable and your whole view is based just on this.

An Analogy

We agree an apple is an apple, a banana is a banana, a potato is a potato. However, we disagree on the definition of a bowl of fruit. You say it is a requirement that a bowl of fruit includes a banana. I disagree. This leads to confusion when we are discussing bowls of fruit. It also means when judges and proceedings discuss bowls of fruit, our understanding is different.

An example of why it matters

Imagine Judge Masipa is making her way through the judgement and says she does not believe putative private defence has been proved beyond reasonable doubt. You AJ will be frothing at the mouth that OP has got off totally free. I on the other hand will know he may still be on the receiving end of culpable homicide and custody - e.g. the judge may find he was negligent in not considering it may have been Reeva and negligent in believing he was under imminent attack

Also, there is the obvious matter that we are talking at cross-purposes with confusion. At the end of the day, if the legal field is using one definition and understanding, then this should be the one used IMO.

Hmmm.. well, I will feel 1000 times worse if OP is found not guilty. But even if guilty, he will remain free on bail while he appeals, and that bugs me.

will he not get prison time for the tasha's crime, which has gone from a plea of not guilty to an admission of guilt [by roux]? and if he does, surely that cannot be appealed. so when will he start the sentence for that crime?

will he not get prison time for the tasha's crime, which has gone from a plea of not guilty to an admission of guilt [by roux]? and if he does, surely that cannot be appealed.
so when will he start the sentence for that crime?
BIB - hopefully the very second he's found guilty. It's an insult to Reeva's family that he should be allowed to carry on
life as normal even after being convicted of murder. To know he'd be as free as a bird for God knows how many years would be a huge slap in the face for them. Judge Masipa can jail him for the Tasha incident, and how can he appeal that if Roux has already 'kindly' admitted OP's guilt on that charge? I bet Roux told OP he had absolutely no choice but to admit guilt, and I bet OP took a LOT of persuading (after all, the gun did go off by magic :rolleyes:) - so he can go to :jail: for that, and then wait for his appeal on the murder charge. He's had too much special treatment already, and I feel very strongly that some consideration should be given to how Reeva's family must be feeling through all this.

David Dadic @DavidDadic Aug 8
Remember if he's convicted we will be back for a mitigation of sentencing procedure a few weeks later, which could be a couple weeks long too

@peteraok they will apply immediately [for appeal] so that they can extend his bail immediately until its heard.

But if he's acquitted September 11th will mark the last day of this adventure

David Dadic @DavidDadic Aug 7
@ohgeewhiskers @CriminalLawZA there will be a mitigation of sentence hearing with witnesses (mini trial) after which she will give sentence

@ohgeewhiskers Aug 7
@DavidDadic So after verdict it will probably be another few weeks before we know his sentence?

David Dadic @DavidDadic Aug 7
@ohgeewhiskers months probably

They all seem to be ignoring the gun charges.

Hi, Cherwell.

I think that particular discussion was specifically on the killing.

I don't see any way OP is gonna escape the gun charges - especially as he plead guilty to Tasha's.

Speaking of pleading guilty to Tasha's, what, does OP think that now My Lady will suddenly forget about the KILLING of Reeva?! LOL

Have to wonder what Roux's strategy was with that.

Hi, Cherwell.

I don't see any way OP is gonna escape the gun charges - especially as he plead guilty to Tasha's.

Speaking of pleading guilty to Tasha's, what, does OP think that now My Lady will suddenly forget about the KILLING of Reeva?! LOL

Perhaps so, but they are still talking about bail.

And what about this comment?

Perhaps so, but they are still talking about bail.

And what about this comment?

Were I the judge and had convicted him, there's NO way I'd give him bail on any condition. At that point, a convicted felon has nothing to lose. OP would not simply say OK and meekly walk into prison. His family has got properties all over Africa and Europe ... and he's got a number of "unsavory" associates who could easily help him flee and disappear.

There's absolutely NO way he's getting acquitted. Not happening. You heard it here first! :lol: :)

Sorry but I don,t beat around the bush. OP brutally murdered that poor girl whilst she was screaming for help behind a toilet door. There WAS NO intruder, that story is BS and everyone knows that. To heck with what the defence has come up with, and did the state say this or that, and does Masipa buy the story, blah blah blah, we are not morons, we can judge for ourselves what happened, and that is he intentionally pulled the trigger to shut her up. Go straight to jail OP.

Hi, Cherwell.

That's exactly what I was thinking, the way it was snuck in by Roux, "(chuckle) of course M'lady, he pleads guilty on that charge". Righto, that's it folks. :floorlaugh:

Gosh, it's exciting just thinking of it.

I kept my diary free as soon as I heard when the verdict would be given. I hope it doesn't last more than a day though, because I'm busy the next day. A couple of legal experts said it could last between 1-3 days because of how much evidence there is.

I reckon she'll keep us guessing to some extent, but the key issue will be if she decides to reject Oscar's testimony. If she does, we will have a very good idea of what's to come. If not, it might be nail biting. [emoji4]

Judges tend to keep people guessing as long as possible. I wonder if this is something that is taught in law school. If you tell a defendant that he is innocent or guilty right away, the joy or sadness would mean that people wouldn't listen to the judges reasoning.

If you give the reasoning first, without the verdict, people are on edge and are forced to listen.

I would like to think the judge will start with an obvious guilty for the restaurant shooting as his own defense threw him under that bus at the last minute..that should lock him up for 5 yrs whilst he appeals the main course of murder 25 years sentence
Sounds like a plan

As a first time offender, the judge may show leniency with no jail time, but at the same time, she may vent her frustration in the wasted court time and money used to prosecute this offence when he pleaded innocent, only to change his plea at the eleventh hour. That would be something though if he gets jail time for this as it would at least keep him in prison while he appeals his other charge.

David Dadic @DavidDadic  Aug 8
I really cant see Masipa choosing one set of neighbor evidence over the other. I believe they cancel each other out. Definite reasonable doubt

I do not see reasonable doubt at all.

No, the defense neighbors and prosecution neighbors do not “cancel each other out”! That’s not how evidence works - I’m surprised at this coming from an attorney!
It’s simply not that cut and dried!

The two sets of neighbors in this case were hardly equals in the volume and quality of their testimonies. The Stipps and Burger/Johnson were both in direct line of earshot from the open bathroom/toilet(?) windows across a wide, open field (and Stipps had direct sight!) - the immediate neighbors to either side heard whatever they heard (or did not hear at all) through property walls and trees.

The fact is that FOUR ear witnesses heard a woman screaming for her life and the defense could NOT disprove it. Consider that Roux’s neighbor witnesses were so “strong” that he had the two women attempt to scream like Oscar attempting to scream like a woman!!! LOL

Dadic is dead wrong. The four PT ear witnesses were very strong, credible and never wavered - DT ear witnesses were weak and didn’t bolster the defense much, if at all.

I guarantee that Dr. Stipp especially is giving Roux nightmares. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member