Theory Thread - What happened at Pistorius' house on the night of Feb. 13, 2013?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judges tend to keep people guessing as long as possible. I wonder if this is something that is taught in law school. If you tell a defendant that he is innocent or guilty right away, the joy or sadness would mean that people wouldn't listen to the judges reasoning.

If you give the reasoning first, without the verdict, people are on edge and are forced to listen.

My Lady will not have to force me to listen! I'll hang on her every word. I want to know exactly what's been going through her head this whole time! Who knows, she may even throw us a few surprises. lol

As a first time offender, the judge may show leniency with no jail time, but at the same time, she may vent her frustration in the wasted court time and money used to prosecute this offence when he pleaded innocent, only to change his plea at the eleventh hour. That would be something though if he gets jail time for this as it would at least keep him in prison while he appeals his other charge.

First time offender or not, I seriously doubt four Black Talons through a closed, locked door will elicit leniency from My Lady.

This is the same Judge who recently sentenced a serial rapist to 252 years in prison and a wife-killer to life in prison.

IMO Nel may have been misled by what Moller said to Roux and think it's just an email coming in. If so, he couldn't argue it. He's missed the point that for the GPRS to be activated the phone must have been connected to the network again which means someone was using it. Of course, I could be totally wrong about how it works (I am contradicting Moller) so I will continue with my research. If I'm right then OP definitely knew it was Reeva in the toilet so it's an extremely important point. I need a telecoms engineer to read this and confirm how it really works!

If Nel missed it, it wasn't just him, but the entire prosecution team.

So, I finally had a chance to sit down watch the closing arguments from the PT and DT. Got to say, Nel did a great job in telling his story as simply as possible. Easy to follow from point A to point B.

At the same time, Roux did an equally good job in confusing the facts and you wouldn't think it's a straight line from A to B. I wonder if he has created enough reasonable doubt, perhaps not for an acquittal, but CH.

On that point, would anyone have links to the complete heads of arguments for both the PT and DT...got a few weeks for some light reading before the verdict :)

First time offender or not, I seriously doubt four Black Talons through a closed, locked door will elicit leniency from My Lady.

This is the same Judge who recently sentenced a serial rapist to 252 years in prison and a wife-killer to life in prison.

First time offender as in the gun charge, not the murder charge

So, I finally had a chance to sit down watch the closing arguments from the PT and DT. Got to say, Nel did a great job in telling his story as simply as possible. Easy to follow from point A to point B.

At the same time, Roux did an equally good job in confusing the facts and you wouldn't think it's a straight line from A to B. I wonder if he has created enough reasonable doubt, perhaps not for an acquittal, but CH.

On that point, would anyone have links to the complete heads of arguments for both the PT and DT...got a few weeks for some light reading before the verdict :)

Here are both links. :)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02999/HEADS_OF_ARGUMENT__2999306a.pdf
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03000/Heads_of_Argument__3000817a.pdf

Jimmy...............my thoughts are he smashed the door in with the cricket bat and could see her through the open cracks in the wood frame.

She could also see him and hear him telling her he was going to blow her brains out.

Hence...........

Her blood curdling screams coming to a crescendo of 'fearing for her life' as per a witness/witnesses.

As for OP being dumbstruck and in a silent panic.......yeah rite.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Pistorius knew full well who he was shooting at, but I still think the reality of what he ended up doing must have hit him like a freight train once the act was done.

I don't have him down as 'that' kind of cold killer.

Hmmm.. well, I will feel 1000 times worse if OP is found not guilty. But even if guilty, he will remain free on bail while he appeals, and that bugs me.

I would not be too sure about that. He is facing four charges not one. He pleaded Not Guilty to all four. Roux in the HOA may have said that he was 'responsible for the gun going off', but his plea has not officially changed. (Unless I missed something.) This will reflect badly.

His original bail application has proved to be misleading. Don't forget, the restrictions around that bail application were subsequently appealed & lifted. Judge Masipa cannot simply extend his original bail, it would not cover his status as a convicted Murderer.

If convicted, I believe he will be incarcerated immediately, pending the lodging of an appeal & bail hearings being heard. And here is something else, I think I am in a minority of one that says he will not be granted bail until his appeal is heard. Whilst I respect the people on talk shows & commentators who seem to think he will still be a free man, they are not as 'Expert' as people think. They make mistakes and have got many things wrong in this case.

Judge Masipa will not.

Hi AJ

Thanks. I enjoy debating with you too, glad we see it the same way and can speak freely!

Our first issue is: do I understand your position, and do you understand my position? We need to be clear and agree on this first, before we can decide anything else.

Now, I have read your last post carefully. I could answer each point, and I may well do that in a later post for completeness. But, most of it seems irrelevant to the issue at hand, so I fear we would be opening cans of worms that don’t need to be opened. Forgive me if I put forward a different route to advance this discussion.

Let me first put aside your point number 6

I previously gave a definition of putative private defence as someone believing he was acting in private defence when in fact he was not. In your point 3 you included in your definition the belief he was lawfully defending himself.

Therefore, if there are objective requirements x, y, z to act in private defence, then an accused who knows the law and who acts in putative private defence must have subjectively believed the requirements x, y, z were met. It is logically entailed by the definition - believed acting in private defence.

Now onto our positions and the differences

'My' position

Putative private defence = subjective belief acting in private defence, when in fact not the case

It is a simple definition that leaves open the possibility of being objectively reasonable or objectively unreasonable in your beliefs and conduct

You can therefore kill in putative private defence and be found guilty of culpable homicide, because you may have been objectively unreasonable and negligent in the killing based on what a reasonable person would have believed and done

(It is even possible to argue that you can kill in putative private defence and be found guilty of murder by dolus eventualis, because you may have foreseen the risk that you may not be acting in private defence. This is a subtle point best left for another time though)

And of course as we both agree you can kill in putative private defence and be acquitted of murder and culpable homicide.

My understanding of Your position

Putative private defence = subjective belief acting in private defence, when in fact not the case AND you MUST have been objectively reasonable in your belief and conduct based on what a reasonable person would have done, therefore you must be acquitted of murder AND culpable homicide

It is a complex definition that has an added requirement of objective reasonableness that has come from somewhere.

If you kill in putative private defence, you must therefore be acquitted of murder and culpable homicide.

Evidence in support of my position (bbm)

1. The meaning of the words in English: ‘putative’ means ‘believed’. So putative private defence means believed private defence. It follows as a matter of logic that this may be reasonable or unreasonable. The words simply do not contain any reference or limitation to ‘reasonable putative private defence’.

2. Judges in judgements consistently agree and use the term in accordance with the position I lay out. I have read about 10 judgements and they all adhere to the same.

In S v De Oliveira a defining judgement by the Supreme Court of Appeal this is explicit: “In putative private defence it is not lawfulness that is in issue but culpability ("skuld"). If an accused honestly believes his life or property to be in danger, but objectively viewed they are not, the defensive steps he takes cannot constitute private defence. If in those circumstances he kills someone his conduct is unlawful. His erroneous belief that his life or property was in danger may well (depending upon the precise circumstances) exclude dolus in which case liability for the person's death based on intention will also be excluded; at worst for him he can then be convicted of culpable homicidehttp://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZASCA/1993/62.html

The judge goes on to state that on appeal the accused accepts he was unreasonable in his belief and conduct and rightly so. The judge then STILL goes on to consider whether he did or did not act in putative private defence and gives his reasons why this is not the case. He does not consider that because he was unreasonable he cannot have acted in putative private defence. It is therefore clear that objective reasonableness is not viewed as a requirement of putative private defence.

3. Counsel in judgements also agree with the definition and use the term in accordance with the position I lay out. Eg Lutchman Naidoo v S “Appellant’s counsel further submitted that if it is found, objectively viewed, that the appellant’s life was not under threat, the appellant erroneously believed that it was in danger and that he therefore acted in putative self defence. The submission was further made that the erroneous belief of the appellant excluded dolus and he should have been convicted of culpable homicide only.” http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZASCA/2010/40.html

4. Professor James Grant, professor of criminal law in SA, has written extensively on the matter and in relation to the OP case. He also agrees with the definition and uses the term in accordance with the position I lay out. Here he says an accused may have acted in putative private defence and still be found guilty of culpable homicide: “Thus, if Pistorius’s defence is that he was mistaken in acting in self/private defence (that is, putative self/private defence), he must be acquitted on the murder charge if the court accepts that this is reasonably possibly true. But the court will then consider whether this mistake was one that a reasonable gun owner may makehttp://criminallawza.net

5. In all the expert legal panels and discussion on the OP case, every one I have heard has agreed with the definition and used the term in accordance with the position I lay out.

Evidence in support of your position

As far as I can tell, you read from an unidentified source on the internet some time ago that putative private defence MUST be objectively reasonable and your whole view is based just on this.

An Analogy

We agree an apple is an apple, a banana is a banana, a potato is a potato. However, we disagree on the definition of a bowl of fruit. You say it is a requirement that a bowl of fruit includes a banana. I disagree. This leads to confusion when we are discussing bowls of fruit. It also means when judges and proceedings discuss bowls of fruit, our understanding is different.

An example of why it matters

Imagine Judge Masipa is making her way through the judgement and says she does not believe putative private defence has been proved beyond reasonable doubt. You AJ will be frothing at the mouth that OP has got off totally free. I on the other hand will know he may still be on the receiving end of culpable homicide and custody - e.g. the judge may find he was negligent in not considering it may have been Reeva and negligent in believing he was under imminent attack

Also, there is the obvious matter that we are talking at cross-purposes with confusion. At the end of the day, if the legal field is using one definition and understanding, then this should be the one used IMO.

Hi pandax… thanks for taking the time to explain your position in such detail… much appreciated.

However I'm not sure we are any closer to understanding each other, much less agreeing…

Sorry for the lateness of my reply… I read your post several times and wanted to be sure I was not misreading anything… I agree with most of it but small things here and there make me doubt my understanding of your position and your understanding of my position.

If I had to venture a guess about the nature of our disagreement, I would say that your bowl fruit analogy could be correct… but I suspect it also could be as simple as the definition of a bowl.

I get the distinct impression that we have a problem with terminology and/or methodology.

I could reply by restating my position… but I fear we would be going round in circles.

Perhaps we can approach the problem in a different simpler manner which would isolate and reveal our problem ?

I would propose we begin with something basic, simple and straightforward…

…Private defence… (easier to address than PPD, for the moment… we will build on PD to address PPD)

Theoretical case for the purpose of our discussion : The accused (Bob) has killed the victim (Ned)… Bob shot Ned with his gun… At Trial, the Defence attorney is pleading that Bob acted in Private Defence when he shot and killed Ned.

What is the step-by-step methodology the Judge must go through during deliberations to arrive at the finding that Bob acted in private defence and that Bob is acquitted ?

I propose that there be no need to build an elaborate and specific example/scenario with details when answering this question… only the questions the Judge has to ask himself to reach that finding.

I hope you'll want to participate in this exercise with me because I find this discussion very interesting and useful as Masipa's ruling is upon us.

Cheers :)

I would not be too sure about that. He is facing four charges not one. He pleaded Not Guilty to all four. Roux in the HOA may have said that he was 'responsible for the gun going off', but his plea has not officially changed. (Unless I missed something.) This will reflect badly.

His original bail application has proved to be misleading. Don't forget, the restrictions around that bail application were subsequently appealed & lifted. Judge Masipa cannot simply extend his original bail, it would not cover his status as a convicted Murderer.

If convicted, I believe he will be incarcerated immediately, pending the lodging of an appeal & bail hearings being heard. And here is something else, I think I am in a minority of one that says he will not be granted bail until his appeal is heard. Whilst I respect the people on talk shows & commentators who seem to think he will still be a free man, they are not as 'Expert' as people think. They make mistakes and have got many things wrong in this case.

Judge Masipa will not.

As much as I agree with your reasoning and conclusion, I still have a nagging feeling the Defence's leave for appeal will be granted and OP's bail will be extended.

Not a rational thought I can explain… just a hunch.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Pistorius knew full well who he was shooting at, but I still think the reality of what he ended up doing must have hit him like a freight train once the act was done.

I don't have him down as 'that' kind of cold killer.

I agree…

OP shooting Reeva was an impulsive act of frustration done in furious anger (first gunshot)

OP killing Reeva was an impulsive self-preservation act done in panicked fear (gunshots 2-3-4)

Immediately after which, OP was confronted with the finality of his actions and the reality he was now in… i.e. freight train analogy or deer in the headlights analogy

Judges tend to keep people guessing as long as possible. I wonder if this is something that is taught in law school. If you tell a defendant that he is innocent or guilty right away, the joy or sadness would mean that people wouldn't listen to the judges reasoning.

If you give the reasoning first, without the verdict, people are on edge and are forced to listen.

I concur… furthermore, her reasoning wil sway from pro-State to pro-Defence as she addresses various aspects of the case… so it will be quite an emotional roller coster ride !

Sorry, my error. :)

How can three gun charges be considered a first time offense? More like OP is a serial gun offender.

I would agree…

Considering that OP has been charged with 3 gun related offenses…

Considering OP's plea and testimony to said offenses…

Considering that if OP is found guilty on all 3 said offenses…

… there will be a compounding effect which will be an aggravating factor at sentencing.

Hmmm.. well, I will feel 1000 times worse if OP is found not guilty. But even if guilty, he will remain free on bail while he appeals, and that bugs me.

BIB .. well, yes .. and that will be the main reason why I won't be watching on the actual day itself, because I cannot bear to see his smug, evil little face if/when a 'not guilty' verdict gets delivered .. which, with his family being as powerful as it appears to be, I simply cannot see any other scenario, I'm afraid. If he is found guilty, then equally I will not be cheering, I will just be relieved to hear that justice has been served .. and I'm not quite so concerned about the appeal because I do think that if Masipa is actually going to deliver a guilty verdict, then she will have made damned sure there are no grounds for appeal.

BIB .. well, yes .. and that will be the main reason why I won't be watching on the actual day itself, because I cannot bear to see his smug, evil little face if/when a 'not guilty' verdict gets delivered .. which, with his family being as powerful as it appears to be, I simply cannot see any other scenario, I'm afraid. If he is found guilty, then equally I will not be cheering, I will just be relieved to hear that justice has been served .. and I'm not quite so concerned about the appeal because I do think that if Masipa is actually going to deliver a guilty verdict, then she will have made damned sure there are no grounds for appeal.

I'm sorry, but have you got any evidence at all to suggest that the judge will be swayed by how "powerful" his family is?

Excellent post, MrsB!

Given her background and judicial history, Judge Masipa was the perfect choice for this case - her demeanor and actions have been exemplary - stellar, in fact. She has taken great pain to insure an orderly,100% fair trial. I believe she will go far beyond a fine-tooth comb - she will employ a cutting-edge laser in coming to a decision.

The OP murder trial really is a landmark case for SA - the first ever televised, the first of a SA national/global sports hero, etc. - she absolutely wants to get it right. Whatever her verdict, she knows it will set precedent - one of which would have far-reaching, disastrous consequences in a nation already beset by epidemic murder and violence against women.

I read in a profile about her that she regularly arrives at work before anyone else (some ungodly hour like 5am?) and works very long hours - her husband does all the cooking! This is a judge who takes her duties extremely seriously - she will not simply gloss over the HoAs to come to a verdict. I fully expect My Lady’s verdict to be every bit as fascinating as the trial itself - if not more.

I agree with all of this - I hope everyone here will be just as respectful of Judge Masipa if she doesn't give the verdict everyone here wants. This has been a fair trial, and she will be a fair judge.

<modsnip>

<modsnip> In Chiver [1997] INLR 212 it was held that:

"It is perfectly possible for an adjudicator to believe that a witness is not telling the truth about some matters, has exaggerated the story to make his case better, or is simply uncertain about matters, but still to be persuaded that the centre piece of the story stands."

Judge Masipa will not.

I agree. He was granted bail when he was merely accused of committing the crime, and was considered innocent until proven guilty. Once convicted, even if he appeals, the presumption of innocence is gone.

On top of that, I think a big determining factor will be if Masipa deems him to be a flight risk. The fact that OP sold his main immovable asset during trial will hurt his chances of his bail application being approved. Another problem is that his professional career that was based locally is also now nonexistent. He has absolutely nothing to offer on his bail application to persuade milady that he is not a flight risk if let out on bail.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member