Theory Thread - What happened at Pistorius' house on the night of Feb. 13, 2013?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pistorius family gets even worse - elephant killers.

... Oscar’s uncles Leo, 51, and Theo, 67, even take part in expensive elephant hunts themselves. Photos of Leo posing with a gun next to a dead bull elephant after a hunt in Botswana were posted on Facebook. ...

Uncle Theo is the director of three big game hunting companies. He also has coastal properties in Mozambique, interests in an armoured vehicle dealer and a charter flight company. ...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/301633/Oscar-Pistorius-runs-up-200k-legal-bill

How very convenient for OP’s getaway.
Hit Mozambique and the coast - he could end up anywhere in the world.

I am very much aware that one can be found to have acted in PPD and still be found guilty of culpable homicide… I have stated as much on numerous occasions.

With respect, I'm confused because this is a complete 180 U-turn. You stated the exact opposite, quite defiantly, and this was the catalyst and whole point of the discussion:

You seem to suggest that an accused could be found as having acted unreasonably in PD or PPD… that does not make sense… if unreasonable, then it's culpable homicide.

…I welcome any information you can find that would refute what I'm stating.

Anyway, I am glad you now agree on this point. There is a problem though - you're still driving the wrong way down the road to everyone else - and this is the crux of the matter.

Remember I explained the analogy: imagine there's somebody who when he refers to 'a bowl of fruit', actually means 'a bowl of fruit that includes a banana'. The big problem is that this is not the meaning and application everyone else is working to, the banana specification is not even suggested by the words. It's no good him saying that's just "my vernacular", he needs to say what he means in line with everyone else. Even more importantly perhaps he needs to understand what everyone else means when they say the term.

So, if by 'putative private defence' you perhaps mean to rather say 'non-negligent putative private defence' or 'objectively reasonable putative private defence' or 'putative private defence that results in full acquittal if on a murder charge' then I would suggest it would be better if you say what you mean.

I believe this was the issue all along: you in fact believed these were the definitions of putative private defence that everyone must work to, that this was the only form of putative private defence, that it was a requirement to be objectively reasonable before you can say someone acted in putative private defence, that no such thing as negligent putative private defence could exist by definition, and so on. It's the only way I can make sense of your statements and discussion on this matter.

As for how I made my point in my previous post, I fully apologise if I caused any offence, it certainly was not my intention and is not my character. Although I still think the substance of the points I was making were fully justified, I was just trying and obviously failing to be friendly and humorous with it. I wish I could go back and just state them soberly and formally. Sorry AJ. I look forward to getting back to some good discussion as we await judgement - I have recently finished the heads of arguments from both sides from start to finish and I've found some things I'm sure you will enjoy! Please do join in, I wouldn't want this to prevent that.

With respect, I'm confused because this is a complete 180 U-turn. You stated the exact opposite, quite defiantly, and this was the catalyst and whole point of the discussion:

Anyway, I am glad you now agree on this point. There is a problem though - you're still driving the wrong way down the road to everyone else - and this is the crux of the matter.

Remember I explained the analogy: imagine there's somebody who when he refers to 'a bowl of fruit', actually means 'a bowl of fruit that includes a banana'. The big problem is that this is not the meaning and application everyone else is working to, the banana specification is not even suggested by the words. It's no good him saying that's just "my vernacular", he needs to say what he means in line with everyone else. Even more importantly perhaps he needs to understand what everyone else means when they say the term.

So, if by 'putative private defence' you perhaps mean to rather say 'non-negligent putative private defence' or 'objectively reasonable putative private defence' or 'putative private defence that results in full acquittal if on a murder charge' then I would suggest it would be better if you say what you mean.

I believe this was the issue all along: you in fact believed these were the definitions of putative private defence that everyone must work to, that this was the only form of putative private defence, that it was a requirement to be objectively reasonable before you can say someone acted in putative private defence, that no such thing as negligent putative private defence could exist by definition, and so on. It's the only way I can make sense of your statements and discussion on this matter.

As for how I made my point in my previous post, I fully apologise if I caused any offence, it certainly was not my intention and is not my character. Although I still think the substance of the points I was making were fully justified, I was just trying and obviously failing to be friendly and humorous with it. I wish I could go back and just state them soberly and formally. Sorry AJ. I look forward to getting back to some good discussion as we await judgement - I have recently finished the heads of arguments from both sides from start to finish and I've found some things I'm sure you will enjoy! Please do join in, I wouldn't want this to prevent that.

The confusion rested on the difference between :

A) a finding of having acted in self-defense

B) a finding of self-defense

Point A) refers only to intent… i.e. the accused genuinely and honestly held the belief his life was being threatened.

Point B) refers to both intent and conduct… i.e. the accused genuinely and honestly held the belief his life was being threatened and he acted within the legal bounds of self-defense.

… I can fully appreciate how this subtle but crucial distinction was the source of our disagreement… and I can see how I may have been responsible for not being clear about what I meant.

For me at least, self-defense which is deemed unreasonable can no longer be referred to as self-defense… the same reasoning would apply to reasonable murder : it could no longer be referred to as murder.

No matter… the issue has been successfully resolved.

Bit in red… no worries… no harm done… it's all good :)

Do share your HOA findings !!

Respectfully snipped.

Agreed that yet again he says "onto the balcony" but I think OP "turned back" to the doors from placing the fan at the end of the bed, not coming in from outside. His back is always facing the bed (in his version).

I don't think he brought any fans anywhere that night. IMO that entire portion of his affidavit was purely what he conjured up as part of his story that he never saw Reeva get up. And that was part of his story too...that she got up to go to the loo. IMO the entire scenario has been fabricated by him. I believe that is why he has had trouble with specifics and it became convenient to blame the police when a hole in his story was examined. Its why he kept changing his story, too, IMO.

then why bother with the other charges at all in this particular case?

and, if this is the case, then surely a better course of action - from the prosecution point of view - would have been to have prosecuted the smaller gun charges separately, and first.

BBM... I see what you're saying. IDK the answer, but can come up with one guess: In case OP is acquitted on the murder charge, the PT could still get him on the gun charges. ???

As an attorney and an officer of the Court, I would hope you are not inadvertently proffering advice to would-be murderers on how to successfully escape Justice.

You seem to be suggesting that shouting "Help! Help! Help!" before shooting and killing someone is sufficient to introduce reasonable doubt as to one's intent.

Naturally, I am not as erudite as you in these matters, but I suspect reasonable doubt does not work that way.

I hope and assume that this is tongue in cheek?

I wish Nel had asked for the name of the jewellers and checked up to see if the bracelet purchase was true. I, for one, believe it was yet another of OP's lies to try and make out he cared more about Reeva than he actually did. It could have been proved one way or another.

BBM... I suppose it's possible that they did check on that... also possible that OP did purchase a bracelet or two earlier in the year, but, my guess would be, NOT for RS. <so sad>

There's something wrong about his version concerning dinner. He said when he arrived home Reeva was preparing dinner. There's only 2 of them, so just how long does it take to cut chicken into strips and slice vegetables. 15-20 minutes would be more than enough, and stir-fries only take a few minutes to cook. I would have thought dinner would have been on the table by 7.30 or thereabouts. But OP says they ate dinner just after 7.00 and finished 20 or 30 minutes later. How long can it take to eat a stir-fry, everything's already cut in strips or pieces. According to his timeline they must have eaten a stone cold dinner. I don't think they ate dinner at all and that's why Reeva ate something later, possibly a salad with cheese or tofu.

14 April, Session 1 at 15.20 (when dinner finished)

The problem here is that he tells so many lies that you just have to question everything that comes out of his mouth. So much of it just doesn't make sense.

Sorry, I don't understand. Are you saying OP is lying because it took him 20 minutes to eat a stir fry? I will always take 20 minutes or so over dinner, I think most people do. He was probably chatting to Reeva about the day. I don't think we can say he's lying because he didn't eat dinner in 5 minutes flat.

When asked by Roux if he got Reeva a Valentine's gift, he tells Roux about a bracelet with a couple of "trinklets" on, or was it bracelets, that he bought Reeva earlier in the year. Umm, that wasn't the question! He was so keen to cover the ground about what he had bought her. I think we must assume that he wants us to understand that the bracelet(s) was/were an early Valentine's gift. But if so, just why they were to meet at the jewellery store? If it was to pick up the bracelets (e.g. they were being made or had been ordered) then this would be provable. It wasn't a very satisfactory answer.

Roux Was there any Valentine&#8217;s gift for you for the next day?

OP Umm, I had bought Reeva a bracelet from a designer that she liked, err, earlier in the year and, umm, I hadn&#8217;t made plans for the 14th.

Roux Could you speak up a little

OP I beg your pardon.

Umm, I hadn&#8217;t made any plans on the 14th. I had a dentist appointment on the 14th in the morning. Reeva wasn&#8217;t going to stay at my house, so our plans were that, umm, I meet her in Johannesburg at this jewellery store that I got her the bracelet from. And, umm, the bracelet had a couple of trinklets or charms on it. There were two bracelets I bought her. And so I said to her, umm, we both kind of made a thing about not making a big thing out of Valentine&#8217;s Day. Umm, we were just going to have dinner ... I think for us that was a nice evening, just being alone and being at home, making dinner.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMMdyuXfFUg&feature=youtu.be&t=55m20s

&#8220;Umm, I had bought Reeva a bracelet from a designer that she liked, err, earlier in the year and, umm, I hadn&#8217;t made plans for the 14th. Umm, I hadn&#8217;t made any plans on the 14th. I had a dentist appointment on the 14th in the morning. Reeva wasn&#8217;t going to stay at my house, so our plans were that, umm, I meet her in Johannesburg at this jewellery store that I got her the bracelet from. And, umm, the bracelet had a couple of trinklets or charms on it. There were two bracelets I bought her. And so I said to her, umm, we both kind of made a thing about not making a big thing out of Valentine&#8217;s Day. Umm, we were just going to have dinner ... I think for us that was a nice evening, just being alone and being at home, making dinner.&#8221;

Evasion. Deflection. Lying. Calculating. Tailoring. So crystal clear with his every word.

It&#8217;s obvious from Roux&#8217;s question that he wants to establish that Reeva loved OP, was not afraid of him.

Poor Roux LOL - his rogue client does NOT want to talk about her gift to him at all (guilt) - he wants to talk about what HE got for her! (See what a totally loving, generous boyfriend I am - even though I can produce NO gift and NO receipt?) We don&#8217;t even know the name of this alleged jewelry store, whose owner could so easily testify on OP&#8217;s behalf (or at least produce an affidavit)!

* Notice OP says &#8220;umm/err&#8221; EIGHT times in this very short testimony - clear sign of hesitation and total fabrication.

* Notice Roux has to ask OP to speak up - clear that OP does not want the court to hear what he says (LIES).

* By totally avoiding Roux&#8217;s question, OP tries to minimize and discount Reeva&#8217;s very thoughtful gift (I&#8217;m a selfish, guilty schmuck) - but look over here what I got for her - (phantom) bracelet(s)!

* What the F does his dentist appointment on the 14th have to do with anything?! (Just like his strange teeth-brushing episode that night.) Apparently, his pearly whites were much more important than VD plans with Reeva.

* Notice, just like the fan(s), OP first says bracelet, then it morphs into TWO bracelets - a massive, inexplicable contradiction within a few sentences! (A guilty conscience?)

* Notice OP says &#8220;so I said to her&#8221;, then STOPS - said what exactly? VD is not important to me so it shouldn&#8217;t be important to you? While VD was no big thing to OP, apparently it was to Reeva, who not only gave him very thoughtful gifts, but wanted to cook for him that special day!

As others here and elsewhere have speculated, I think the truth may be that Valentine&#8217;s Day perhaps played some part in this murder... the lethal catalyst? Gift vs No Gift which perhaps revealed a huge disparity in love/like and commitment/no commitment ... leading to an ever-escalating spiral of more accusations and even angry confessions?

Let me try an explanation that night work for you.

Those screams, IMO, absolutely prove that Reeva's death was premeditated. OP planned Reeva's killing right then and there with those screams. OP knew that neighbors had heard Reeva's screams. The only way to explain them was with his own screams. Obviously, if they were both screaming, there must be a reason, no? Said reason, per OP, was an intruder. Surely OP would be justified in killing an intruder, no?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there someone who heard both a man and woman screaming and assumed there was an intruder somewhere? And thought that the woman had seen/heard the man being killed because the screaming had stopped?

Those screams accomplished exactly what OP intended them to accomplish.

They covered his intention of shooting Reeva to death.

I find that outlandish. Anyway Nel didn't put that argument to OP. Even he didn't put it to OP in cross-examination that he deliberately screamed out for help before killing Reeva to cover up what was happening. In my view, the Judge would struggle to (lawfully) make a such a finding, given that this has never been the state's case.

I hope and assume that this is tongue in cheek?

Which part ?&#8230; :confused:

&#8230; the "attorney" bit ?&#8230; or

&#8230; the "erudite" bit ?&#8230; or

&#8230; the "I think the help help help that witnesses heard at this point introduces reasonable doubt" bit ?

Which part ?&#8230; :confused:

&#8230; the "attorney" bit ?&#8230; or

&#8230; the "erudite" bit ?&#8230; or

&#8230; the "I think the help help help that witnesses heard at this point introduces reasonable doubt" bit ?

No, I know all of that is dripping with sarcasm. I meant that bit where you said that my posts were inadvertedly helping future murderers.

“Umm, I had bought Reeva a bracelet from a designer that she liked, err, earlier in the year and, umm, I hadn’t made plans for the 14th. Umm, I hadn’t made any plans on the 14th. I had a dentist appointment on the 14th in the morning. Reeva wasn’t going to stay at my house, so our plans were that, umm, I meet her in Johannesburg at this jewellery store that I got her the bracelet from. And, umm, the bracelet had a couple of trinklets or charms on it. There were two bracelets I bought her. And so I said to her, umm, we both kind of made a thing about not making a big thing out of Valentine’s Day. Umm, we were just going to have dinner ... I think for us that was a nice evening, just being alone and being at home, making dinner.”

Respectfully snipped.

I've spent quite a bit of time transcribing OP's evidence in chief and cross examination recently, mainly because it has allowed me to focus on his exact words, where he hesitates, where he changes course mid-sentence, the long pauses, the evolving story and its triggers, and the contradictions. It is proving to be enormously enlightening. One area I spotted after I'd started was just how important it was to record the hesitations and longer pauses, which don't typically appear in transcriptions. There are a lot of the former and quite a lot of the latter. I'm planning on analysing them at some point if I can find the time.

The confusion rested on the difference between :

A) a finding of having acted in self-defense

B) a finding of self-defense

Point A) refers only to intent&#8230; i.e. the accused genuinely and honestly held the belief his life was being threatened.

Point B) refers to both intent and conduct&#8230; i.e. the accused genuinely and honestly held the belief his life was being threatened and he acted within the legal bounds of self-defense.

&#8230; I can fully appreciate how this subtle but crucial distinction was the source of our disagreement&#8230; and I can see how I may have been responsible for not being clear about what I meant.

For me at least, self-defense which is deemed unreasonable can no longer be referred to as self-defense&#8230; the same reasoning would apply to reasonable murder : it could no longer be referred to as murder.

No matter&#8230; the issue has been successfully resolved.

Bit in red&#8230; no worries&#8230; no harm done&#8230; it's all good :)

Do share your HOA findings !!

AJ, I do this with full respect. But now we are back to disagreeing - with respect, you misunderstand the point/nature of our disagreement. Its much more fundamental than you believe I think.

You distinguish between A1) a claim to self-defence, e.g. where there was in fact an intruder and B) in fact self-defence. I fully understand what you mean here. I agree that only B1) should properly be called self-defence.

There is a corollary: A2) a claim to putative self defence, e.g. where there was in fact a perceived intruder and B) in fact putative self-defence. I fully understand what you mean here. I agree that only B2) should properly be called putative self-defence.

However you misunderstand the point. The point is this: in B2) one can still be negligent and found guilty of culpable homicide. This is the point me, the judges, the professors, some other sleuthers etc are making about putative self defence. Putative self defence is a subjective entity and does not exclude culpable homicide which is an objective entity. Private defence is not analogous in this respect - private defence is an objective entity and it excludes culpable homicide, by virtue of being a lawful killing.

Rough example relating to self-defence:

There was in fact an intruder, but in fact the intruder was not attacking or imminently attacking: A1
There was in fact an intruder, and in fact the intruder was attacking and all other requirements for self-defence were in fact satisifed: B1

Rough example relating to putative self-defence:

There was in fact a believed intruder, but in fact there was not a believed attack or believed imminent attack: A2
There was in fact a believed intruder, and in fact a believed attack and all other requirements for self-defence were believed to have been satisfied: B2

In B above one has in fact acted in putative self defence. It is not claimed putative self defence, it is 'proper' putative self defence. Where self-defence has objective requirements z, y, z, putative self defence has subjective requirements x, y z - did one believe x, y, z to be satisfied.

In B above, one can still be objectively unreasonable in his mistake. Eg if a reasonable person would not have believed there was an intruder, e.g. if a reasonable person would not have believed they were under attack. Therefore it is possible for one to have in fact acted in putative private defence and also be negligent.

I just want you to understand the point that's all. I'm no longer particularly interested in convincing you, heh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773