Tire Tracks, Shoe Prints and DJH's cars

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They still have the tires and the shoes. Can something be gleaned from that now?

They still have the tires and the shoes. Can something be gleaned from that now?

Yes. If they have good casts and good photographs, they can be matched to the tires and shoe prints. New technology would further enhance the results.

It all just makes me so SO sad. The more that is discussed & " pieced together " I can't begin to imagine how the Wetterlings must feel.
Odds? The chances of another car with an individual wearing the same style shoes? Remote in the extreme.

According to tiretrack.com, A 1983-88 Ford EXP took a wheel (rim) that was 13" or 14" Diameter by 5.5" Width. A 1985 Grand Prix took a wheel that was 17" by 7". This is a big difference; essentially the difference between small rims and large rims.

The tire size would be determined by the rim size. While a tire track in dirt might not have been exact enough to determine the exact tire size, if it was good enough to determine that it was consistent with a tire appropriate for a EXP, it would be good enough to rule out a tire appropriate for a Grand Prix.

I can't say with certainty that it would have been impossible to put a 14" by 5.5" wheel on a 1985 Grand Prix but if it were possible, the car would look rather odd, there would serious performance and safety issues and the owner would know she had inappropriate wheels on her vehicle.

It seems to me that basic rudimentary investigative work in evaluating the situation after Kevin came forward would include checking to make sure that the known width of the tire track was consistent with the vehicle Kevin's girlfriend was driving. If it wasn't, Kevin's story is interesting but would not change the focus of the investigation.

Checking the tire size in such a situation would be pretty much Standard Operating Procedure before spinning an investigation around 180 degrees, spending thousands of $'s and labeling someone publicly as a POI. This is starting to look like serious misfeasance, or worse.

Does anyone who knows more about cars or criminal investigations find fault with my logic?

According to tiretrack.com, A 1983-88 Ford EXP took a wheel (rim) that was 13" or 14" Diameter by 5.5" Width. A 1985 Grand Prix took a wheel that was 17" by 7". This is a big difference; essentially the difference between small rims and large rims.

The tire size would be determined by the rim size. While a tire track in dirt might not have been exact enough to determine the exact tire size, if it was good enough to determine that it was consistent with a tire appropriate for a EXP, it would be good enough to rule out a tire appropriate for a Grand Prix.

I can't say with certainty that it would have been impossible to put a 14" by 5.5" wheel on a 1985 Grand Prix but if it were possible, the car would look rather odd, there would serious performance and safety issues and the owner would know she had inappropriate wheels on her vehicle.

It seems to me that basic rudimentary investigative work in evaluating the situation after Kevin came forward would include checking to make sure that the known width of the tire track was consistent with the vehicle Kevin's girlfriend was driving. If it wasn't, Kevin's story is interesting but would not change the focus of the investigation.

Checking the tire size in such a situation would be pretty much Standard Operating Procedure before spinning an investigation around 180 degrees, spending thousands of $'s and labeling someone publicly as a POI. This is starting to look like serious misfeasance, or worse.

Does anyone who knows more about cars or criminal investigations find fault with my logic?

Isn't that why they eliminated Kevin?

I suppose I could be entitled to smugness and snark. I have painstakingly argued all along that it was extremely unlikely that DR was involved and the "case" against him was based on the fact that he was "different" from other people in Stearns Co.

I'm not gloating. I am certainly not trolling or attacking anyone I feel was wrong when I was right. I never thought I was treated disrespectfully or in a dismissive manner. Some of the posters I most strongly disagreed with did demonstrate critical thinking and analytic skills.

Now is the time for everyone to move forward. We have a Real suspect and a lot of Real information to work with. I think this case can very likely be solved to an extent that there will be general agreement among Law Enforcement and the St Joseph community as to who committed this crime. With a lot of effort and a Little Luck, the Perp might even be tried and convicted. We must understand that it isn't always going to work out.

Justice is more than just punishing the guilty. It is protecting the rights and reputations of the innocent. If things are as they appear to be, at the very least, DR must be removed from the POI "list". That is probably not adequate.

At this point, I think it is premature to say definitively that Heinrich is guilty and DR or anyone else is definitively innocent but it is very likely that things will progress in that direction. If they do, we must focus on obtaining real Justice: for the Perp, for those innocents who were implicated and, ultimately for Jacob and his family.

Um, I was the one that brought up DAH years ago.

i am still wondering why DR was named POI. Does it make any sense at all in light of these further revelations?

I continue to be curious as to why he was named POI. Aren't you as your name indicates?

Yes, I think we are all a little bit curious. I think it would be in the interest of Justice to get to the bottom of this.

Has the size of the shoe been determined of the released perp footprint?

Finally, some first hand information about the dog that tracked Jacob's scent.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/lo...cribes-dogs-role-in-wetterling-case/75747986/

Thanks for posting this!!

This puts the final nail in the coffin that a vehicle was used in my opinion. Confirmed it was a Bloodhound working from a scent article. You can't get any better than that. Scent trail ends, foot prints end. Unless Jacob was in a zip lock bag and carried, a vehicle is the only other option. Prints and tire track confirmation would wrap this up.

Thanks for posting this!!

This puts the final nail in the coffin that a vehicle was used in my opinion. Confirmed it was a Bloodhound working from a scent article. You can't get any better than that. Scent trail ends, foot prints end. Unless Jacob was in a zip lock bag and carried, a vehicle is the only other option. Prints and tire track confirmation would wrap this up.

I respect the excitement in this, it's making sense, but this guy does leave open the notion that Jacob could have backpedaled into a ziplock bag as well. The tire and perp footprints are both inconclusive.

I respect the excitement in this, it's making sense, but this guy does leave open the notion that Jacob could have backpedaled into a ziplock bag as well. The tire and perp footprints are both inconclusive.

The chances that the perp stopped, wrapped Jacob in plastic or put him in a bag and then continued is about as slim as me winning the powerball lottery when I don't purchase tickets. My comment was to illustrate the only two possible options, I assumed rational people would see one as more probable than the other.

The tire and footprints are inconclusive at this moment. I am guessing they are getting a much more thorough looking over along with the photographs and the casts.

There's possibilities, and then there's likelihoods. My money is on the likelihood. Not enough to convict, but enough to know the truth IMO.

Do bloodhounds backtrack? If Jacob had turned around and run directly over his own tracks, would the dog know that? I'm sure you all know more than I do about how that works. Also, if Jacob had been picked up and carried a distance away, would the dog have been able to pick the scent back up? Did they keep trying in other areas?

But, yes, a car seems most likely. Well, especially with the tire tracks right there.

And then they need to prove that DH was driving his car and wearing his shoes, and not someone else. Even if they had the car today and Jacob's DNA in it. I don't think they are going to prove that. Need to find Jacob.

The chances that the perp stopped, wrapped Jacob in plastic or put him in a bag and then continued is about as slim as me winning the powerball lottery when I don't purchase tickets. My comment was to illustrate the only two possible options, I assumed rational people would see one as more probable than the other.

The tire and footprints are inconclusive at this moment. I am guessing they are getting a much more thorough looking over along with the photographs and the casts.

There's possibilities, and then there's likelihoods. My money is on the likelihood. Not enough to convict, but enough to know the truth IMO.

Agreed. But if the tire tracks and perp footprints in 1989 were not enough.....why are they so pertinent now? Why were the images of these released now and not prior?

Makes sense.

Do bloodhounds backtrack? If Jacob had turned around and run directly over his own tracks, would the dog know that? I'm sure you all know more than I do about how that works. Also, if Jacob had been picked up and carried a distance away, would the dog have been able to pick the scent back up? Did they keep trying in other areas?

But, yes, a car seems most likely. Well, especially with the tire tracks right there.

Generally the handler will follow a scent trail in both directions if possible. As the scent trail ended where the last print and tire track were, I assume the handler and LE determined this was the LKP. The handler may have worked backtrack, but I have no evidence this was done. In this rare occasion, I agree with the handler and LE. It is doubtful the individual with Jacob would have gone up the driveway and then back the other direction. The print evidence would have shown this. It is my opinion that LE would have picked up a backtrack in the prints in this particular instance.

I could not agree more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cavalluccicheryl
Back