Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

'Still a search and rescue mission' - US Coast Guard​

Rear Admiral John Mauger, of the US Coast Guard, has said the operation to find the missing submersible is "still an active search and rescue".

Asked if he believes the oxygen on board will have run out by now, Mauger told Sky News:
"We continue to keep the crew members and the families in our thoughts as we proceed with this search and rescue while we're cognisant of the time and we've factored in a lot of data and information into the search.

"This is still an active search and rescue at this point and we're using the equipment that we have on the bottom right now, the remote operated vehicles to expand our search capability, and then also to provide rescue capability as well."

Delays to Magellan’s ROV deployment​

Rebecca Morelle
Science editor

1687438954992.png
BBC. Magellan's ROV Juliet was loaded as plane cargo at Jersey airport

Magellan’s ROV - Juliet - is currently at Jersey Airport in the Channel Islands, and will soon be on its way to the search site taken by a US military transport aircraft.

This will take time though.

Magellan estimates it will take about 50 to 60 hours to get all of their gear there, which would take us into the weekend.

The sub has been ready for dispatch since Monday - awaiting transportation from the US authorities. And there has been frustration about the delays.

Yesterday the Explorer’s Club - a professional society dedicated to research and exploration - tweeted that it had been working on approval for Magellan’s ROVs to be allowed to be deployed to the site as they believed they could offer valuable assistance.

Its president Richard Garriott tweeted that the ROV should have been accepted sooner.

Time has never been more of the essence with a rescue effort like this.

TITANIC TIMELINE. Interesting timeline of the #Titanic explorations:
1985 - Titanic site discovered by American-French team
1986 - Submersible Alvin explores wreck
1987 - 1st salvage expedition collects 1,800 Titanic artifacts
1995 - James Cameron visits wreck
1998 - First tourists dive there
1998 - Section of the Titanic hull is raised
2005 - Two crewed submersibles dive to the wreck
2010 - Autonomous robots map the site 2012 - Wreck now protected by Unesco
2019 - DSV Limiting Factor sub makes five dives
2020 – US and UK agree treaty to protect Titanic wreck
2021 – OceanGate makes first successful attempt to reach the site
2023 – First full-size digital scan of the wreck is created using deep-sea mapping

UK submariner and equipment to join search​

1687439009003.png
EPA-EFE/REX/ShutterstockCopyright: EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock
Bahamanian research vessel Deep Energy is one of those involved in the search

Downing Street has confirmed that a Royal Navy submariner as well as equipment from a UK firm will help the search operation for the Titanic sub.

A No 10 spokesperson has said Lieutenant Commander Richard Kantharia has "significant knowledge of submarine warfare and dived operations".

Meanwhile, a Royal Air Force C-17 transport aircraft is currently being loaded up at RAF Lossiemouth and will depart for Canada this afternoon with ancillary equipment - believed to be cabling - on board.

No 10 has said the decision follows a request from the US Coastguard.

Will they still keep searching even if they know for definite the oxygen will have ran out do you think? I’m just thinking out loud and wondering if they will continue to deploy rescue ships in the coming days even if they know for sure the people on board Titan won’t have survived?
I'm guessing someone will do the cost analysis and determine when to cancel the search. It's difficult to consider that, but that is the reality. I don't think they will continue to search for very long at all but at that point perhaps there will be organized charitable donations to continue the search. Just guessing.

Rebecca Morelle
Science editor

View attachment 430481

Magellan’s ROV - Juliet - is currently at Jersey Airport in the Channel Islands, and will soon be on its way to the search site taken by a US military transport aircraft.

Magellan estimates it will take about 50 to 60 hours to get all of their gear there, which would take us into the weekend.

The sub has been ready for dispatch since Monday - awaiting transportation from the US authorities. And there has been frustration about the delays.

Yesterday the Explorer’s Club - a professional society dedicated to research and exploration - tweeted that it had been working on approval for Magellan’s ROVs to be allowed to be deployed to the site as they believed they could offer valuable assistance.

Its president Richard Garriott tweeted that the ROV should have been accepted sooner.

I mean, what’s the bloody point, now?
:mad:

Will they still keep searching even if they know for definite the oxygen will have ran out do you think? I’m just thinking out loud and wondering if they will continue to deploy rescue ships in the coming days even if they know for sure the people on board Titan won’t have survived?
Imo they will carry on searching - just as they have done in the past for missing planes - but it would be a scaled down affair.

Rebecca Morelle
Science editor

View attachment 430481

I’m very curious as to how that huge aircraft will deliver the ROV when it arrives at the site. Will it simply drop it into the water, land on a carrier, land on the water, how does that even work??

Miracle rescues inspire hope as Titan’s air runs out​

• Hope prevails as the search persists despite critically low oxygen levels
  • Power of prayer is emphasized as several examples of miracles have unfolded
  • Crews continue to search for the five passengers in the Atlantic Ocean

Updated: JUN 22, 2023 / 06:07 AM CDT

Blocked by the US government allegedly. I read earlier this week they were ready to deploy and waiting for the go ahead :(

I feel absolutely sick.

I hope that people keep in mind that the unified command that's controlling the rescue has to make difficult choices. There are a lot of offers of assistance, but there's limited time and limited resources on land and at sea and not every offer can be accepted. The command has to prioritize the options that they think can best help the recovery efforts. Maybe they made the right choice, maybe the wrong one, but in the end it's their call to make.

I'm a bit suspicious of a for-profit company and their wealthy supporters yelling about how they have the perfect solution, and it's only red tape and the fools in charge that are preventing them from saving everyone. There's some lawyer bigwig that's associated with OceanGate banging on about how he's going to have people's heads if they don't work with Magellan. (Shades of Elon Musk and his mini-sub PR stunt during the Thai cave rescue a few years ago.)

The irony, of course, is that OceanGate is a company that circumvented any and all regulations and certifications to get their sub into the water. They ignored the need for adequate testing, redundancies and safety backups. Now that it's gone missing the company's supporters are screaming about the government not doing enough to help them even after an international all-out effort was launched to rescue the sub.

Four families might get to bury their loved ones.

MOO
I know, sorry, I’m just so frustrated at the lack of any Plan B, at the millions being spent on the rescue mission, the lives being put at risk dropping everything to haul these guys out. The initial lack of urgency, the red tape… the sodding everything to do with this ridiculous adventure.

I’m mostly sad that they weren’t found in time due to all of the above. A Plan B would’ve been a really good plan.

One other thing about the timing... I'd think it would depend on whether or not all are being calm during this ordeal, because if one or more is upset/agitated/hyperventilating.... then the air supply isn't going to last as long. All my unprofessional opinion in this matter. :)

I would think if that happened, the others might have to find a way to subdue them, primative and not without its own risks, but a knockout punch would do it as a last resort imo.

I know, sorry, I’m just so frustrated at the lack of any Plan B, at the millions being spent on the rescue mission, the lives being put at risk dropping everything to haul these guys out. The initial lack of urgency, the red tape… the sodding everything to do with this ridiculous adventure.

I’m mostly sad that they weren’t found in time due to all of the above. A Plan B would’ve been a really good plan.
I know, and I agree with you about all of this. It wasn't meant to be a reprimand or sound snappy, not at all. I just know that for some people, having a body doesn't matter to their grieving process, and some, it really does. I hope that if there are remains to recover, if they can do it without further loss of life or serious injury, and if it will help give these families closure, they can bring them home.

And as for all the fuss, all the extreme operations... everyone out there, doing their best to help is doing it because it's the right thing to do, whatever the outcome. There's a huge amount to be gained from this exercise that will help them when something like this happens in the future. What they learn here may save a future victim. I wish them all the luck in the world.

Do I still feel a huge amount of anger for what brought us to this point? Heck yes.

MOO

One of those experts is forensic engineer Bart Kemper .... He said there are 10 submersibles that can reach that depth that are outside the military.

Of those, the only one that hasn't been classed by engineers is the Titan.

"The initial discussions there was a consensus that we had concerns," he said.
"Its not been tested according to a standard and if you don’t have a standard how do you know its right or wrong."

He said the leadership of OceanGate did implement some changes.

"The part they did not change was that they are not going to comply with codes and standards or classifications societies because it would take too long for their innovations to be reviewed and approved."

He said he would not get in the Titan.

I haven’t been able to click on any of these threads/read this story while there was still a chance, because the circumstances are absolutely my worst nightmare. I didn’t know these kinds of tours were even a thing.

And during the time I was only peripherally aware of the story, I never would have expected the revelations about the shoddy construction of the vehicle. :( I don’t understand how you decide to skimp on something like that.

IMO they might be continuing to search on the slim possibility that there is somehow still oxygen left. (Because truthfully, it would be awful if someone *was* still alive and the search was called off.)

Also, since so many vessels have been sent to the area and some of them are just starting to search, perhaps they feel they might as well search for just a little while longer so that they at least use all the resources that have been deployed. Chances of finding anyone alive are basically zero at this point, but there is still a chance they can recover the sub/bodies or pieces of the sub if it imploded.

But I can’t imagine it’s very easy for the search and rescue teams to stay positive, to say the least.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member