Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those experts is forensic engineer Bart Kemper .... He said there are 10 submersibles that can reach that depth that are outside the military.

Of those, the only one that hasn't been classed by engineers is the Titan.

"The initial discussions there was a consensus that we had concerns," he said.
"Its not been tested according to a standard and if you don’t have a standard how do you know its right or wrong."

He said the leadership of OceanGate did implement some changes.

"The part they did not change was that they are not going to comply with codes and standards or classifications societies because it would take too long for their innovations to be reviewed and approved."

He said he would not get in the Titan.

Bbm.
I expect many experienced mariners would agree.

I'm not a sailor nor do I have experience with such matters, but I wouldn't even want to ride in a tested and secure submersible going down that far.
The closest I've been to an underwater experience was a glass-bottomed boat tour; and that's nowhere near a deep sea submersible.

The closest I've been to an underwater experience was a glass-bottomed boat tour; and that's nowhere near a deep sea submersible.
RSBM

Those things scare the heck out of me. And they go in shallow waters and actually have been through rigorous safety testing. I don't walk on transparent platforms on tall buildings or at lookouts, either. I am already painfully aware of how much space is underneath me, I don't want to see it.

I guess that's the main reason, besides my finances, why I am not the target market for exclusive submersible tours.

MOO

Search teams will be looking for 'cross-fix' on banging sound​

Victoria Gill
Science correspondent, BBC News

The chances of finding something on the sea floor at depth - using a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) - depend on how tightly the search area can be defined, marine geophysicist Dr Rob Larter has said.

“We've all seen the reports of the sounds that have been detected,” he told press briefing earlier this morning.

“But the fact that the search area is still so large would seem to indicate that nobody [has] confidently been able to locate where those sounds are coming from.”

Each of the floating sonobuoys should be able to give a bearing, so depending on the number and location of buoys in relation to the location of the sound source, that could provide what submarine search and rescue expert Frank Owen described as “a cross-fix” on the sound.

“That should be possible,” he told me. “But [if it’s Titan] they’re banging on a carbon fibre hull, not a steel hull.

“That’s like banging a log, instead of banging a bell - it’s less loud and more muffled, so it’s not a crisp, clear noise. That may not propagate through the water anywhere near as well.”

Emphasis is mine.

27m ago
Rear Adm John Mauger of the US Coast Guard said he was “thrilled and pleased” to have a British submariner involved in the search operation.

Earlier we reported that Downing Street had confirmed that a Royal Navy submariner had joined the search for the missing Titan submersible.

The officer, Lt Cmdr Richard Kantharia, “has significant knowledge of submarine warfare and dived operations and so he will obviously be bringing that experience to the search and rescue team”, No 10 said.

Mauger, speaking to Sky News, said he "really appreciates the support from UK submarine force".

Plus it would be useful imo if we had an idea about what happened. There might be lessons for similar expeditions in the future.

One of those lessons really should be DONT DO IT, there is no need to send humans down to that depth, there is a reason we can't go down there. Even most marine life, that actually belongs in the ocean, can't go down that far.

There is nothing to be gained by having actual humans down there IMO.

As a sidenote, my personal opinion on a sight seeing tour to a watery tomb is that its wrong, but that's just me.

One of those lessons really should be DONT DO IT, there is no need to send humans down to that depth, there is a reason we can't go down there. Even most marine life, that actually belongs in the ocean, can't go down that far.

There is nothing to be gained by having actual humans down there IMO.

As a sidenote, my personal opinion on a sight seeing tour to a watery tomb is that it’s wrong, but that's just me.
All I can say is that there’s a good reason that a fear of deep water is ubiquitous across humanity. We weren’t meant to go that deep.

RSBM

Those things scare the heck out of me. And they go in shallow waters and actually have been through rigorous safety testing. I don't walk on transparent platforms on tall buildings or at lookouts, either. I am already painfully aware of how much space is underneath me, I don't want to see it.

I guess that's the main reason, besides my finances, why I am not the target market for exclusive submersible tours.

MOO

I'm with you on the transparent platforms, can't do glass lifts (elevators) either, but I do love a glass bottomed boat. I suppose its because I know I can swim but I definitely can't fly!.

2m ago

The co-founder of OceanGate, the company that operates the missing sub, has broken his silence to say he believes the five crew members on board Titan have “longer than what most people think”.

Guillermo Sohnlein,
who founded OceanGate with Stockton Rush, one of the passengers aboard the Titan, said he last spoke to Rush a couple of weeks before the expedition’s launch.

In a statement to Insider, Sohnlein, who is no longer involved with the company but remains a minority shareholder, said:

Today will be a critical day in this search and rescue mission, as the sub’s life support supplies are starting to run low.
I’m certain that Stockton and the rest of the crew realized days ago that the best thing they can do to ensure their rescue is to extend the limits of those supplies by relaxing as much as possible. I firmly believe that the time window available for their rescue is longer than what most people think. I continue to hold out hope for my friend and the rest of the crew.
He said he encouraged everyone to “remain hopeful” for getting the missing sub back safely and that he continued to “hold out hope” for his friend and the rest of the crew.

'Time is what we are running out of'​

Pallab Ghosh
Science correspondent, BBC News

I've been speaking to a group of UK submersible experts this morning about the chances of a successful rescue.

Dr Rob Larter of the British Antarctic Survey said “although it’s a desperate situation, there’s hope, and you have to stay optimistic for as long as possible”.

He explained that it was impossible for the ships on the sea surface to find the Titan using sonar, because it was so small.

And the only undersea remotely operated vehicle (ROV) capable of working at the required depth, the Victor 6000 had arrived on the scene just last night.

He noted the banging sounds first heard on Wednesday had not led to the search area being narrowed.

Prof Alistair Greig from University College London said that if the Titan was found trapped in wreckage on the sea bed it would normally take two hours for it to rise to the surface under its natural buoyancy once it had been released by an ROV.

“Every step takes time and time is what we are running out of,” he said.

So can we assume the Victor 6000 has made it to the wreckage site by this point and did not locate the Titan there?

screenshot_1557

The layers of the atmosphere
UCAR website/Randy Russell
The Titanic is sitting at a depth of near 13,000 feet (3900 meters). If you think in miles, that is just under 2.5 miles. According to skydiving experts, the average altitude for jumps is betweetn 10,000 and 14,000 feet. As you see from the graphic above, many commercial airlines fly at altitudes of roughly 6 to 8 miles high in the troposphere. In the atmosphere, pressure typically decreases with increasing altitude. This is because the air is less dense at higher altitudes and elevations (the proper term on land). If you have ever traveled from a point near sea level to Denver, Colorado, you probably understand this fact. The average air pressure at sea level is around 1013 millibars, which is the metric called an atmosphere (atm).

Many people are probably familiar with mountains such as Grand Teton in Wyoming or Mauna Kea in Hawaii. They both peak at around 13,700 feet. A typical atmospheric pressure at that elevation is likely around 600 to 610 millibars. Pressure also changes as we descend to greater depths in the ocean. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) website puts it in an understanbable framing. It notes, “At sea level, the air that surrounds us presses down on our bodies at 14.7 pounds per square inch. You don't feel it because the fluids in your body are pushing outward with the same force.” Things change as you descend into the ocean.

TITANIC TIMELINE. Interesting timeline of the #Titanic explorations:
1985 - Titanic site discovered by American-French team
1986 - Submersible Alvin explores wreck
1987 - 1st salvage expedition collects 1,800 Titanic artifacts
1995 - James Cameron visits wreck
1998 - First tourists dive there
1998 - Section of the Titanic hull is raised
2005 - Two crewed submersibles dive to the wreck
2010 - Autonomous robots map the site 2012 - Wreck now protected by Unesco
2019 - DSV Limiting Factor sub makes five dives
2020 – US and UK agree treaty to protect Titanic wreck
2021 – OceanGate makes first successful attempt to reach the site
2023 – First full-size digital scan of the wreck is created using deep-sea mapping

Snipped from the above:
2020 – US and UK agree treaty to protect Titanic wreck

Any thoughts on how the Titanic wreck is being protected?

Not allowing sight seeing excursions should be a no brainer, imo. To many risks involved and it isn't a tourist destination. I would think the families of the lost loved ones would agree.

You must mean the ancestor, not the descendant, and they are actually the ancestors of Stockton’s wife.

Isidor Strauss was one of the well-known people who died on Titanic. He was one of the owners of the A&S Strauss stores, a landmark department store in NYC, and later was part owner of Macy’s.

I can see that Stockton’s wife therefore had an abiding interest in the Titanic, as her ancestors died there together.

What is heartbreaking is if her husband dies there too, when it was so avoidable, IMO. A beacon, a vivid color to allow visibility if they surfaced, an adherence to industry standards would have allowed them to go with more safety and emergency measures in place.

ETA: on a separate note, I’ve been wondering about deep vein thrombosis.
My friend’s brother-in-law died after a long airplane flight without stretching his legs out enough.
I’m scared any of them could’ve developed DVT from days of being cramped in together without the ability to move and stretch adequately. It’s always suggested on long flights that you get up and walk around if you can, or shake your legs.
Naturally this is far from the only danger they are facing if still alive, but it is another way of dying in there.
Thank you for helping me out I appreciate that

Not the deepest, darkest depths of it, not in person anyway. We can explore it without humans actually being there, right?

I just don't necessarily have an issue with actual scientific expeditions when parties know the real risks involved. I know that's not what was going on here. I don't think these type of "adventures" need to be sold or used as tourist trips. JMO

RAF jet sets off with equipment for sub search​

1687444232299.png
Flightradar

Flight tracking shows a Royal Air Force C-17 transport aircraft has now left Lossiemouth in the north of Scotland carrying equipment to help with the search for the missing Titan submersible (see our post here)

The aircraft is understood to be carrying cabling to St John's in Newfoundland, Canada, the airport nearest to the site of the Titanic wreck.

The Marine Traffic website has added the both sites of the Titanic shipwreck to their map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMay