DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted at 12:1212:12

Equipment being flown from Jersey spent 200 hours at Titanic site​

1687433413268.png
Here are some more details on the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) I mentioned in my last post, which is currently at Jersey Airport and due to be flown to the search site later today.

The ROV - called Juliet - scanned the Titanic wreck last summer. It spent 200 hours surveying the site, producing remarkable 3D scans of the wreck and its debris field.

It’s an Argus Worker XL and is able to dive to 6,000m - well beyond the depth required in the search area.

It’s an extremely capable ROV, and very experienced at operating at extreme depths. You can view the technical specs here. It will aid the search using sonar.

The company now estimates it will take about 50 to 60 hours to get to the site.

3 min ago

Medical personnel to join Titan search on Thursday, official says​

From CNN's Kristina Sgueglia

New, high-tech vessels and medical personnel are moving to the search site as rescue efforts reach a pivotal moment, a Coast Guard official has said.

Rear Adm. John Mauger told NBC on Thursday that the search and rescue mission will continue with "new capability" arriving.

That includes a Magellan ROV, a uniquely equipped vessel whose use was pushed for by the Explorers Club group early on in the search. It has been questioned whether the Magellan should have been sent to the site much earlier in the search operation.

Mauger said they have been “overwhelmed by all the support that’s been provided by the international community” adding “we made some decisions to prioritize based on gear that was closest to the site and could get there.”

Mauger also said that medical personnel who have “deep sea medical expertise” are moving to the site, and a hyperbaric chamber is also en route.

“We continue to find in particularly complex cases that people's will to live really needs to be accounted for as well, and so we're continuing to search and proceed with rescue efforts by bringing this new capability online this morning,” he told NBC.

If UK/Magellan have the Juliet ROV (I believe there is also a twin ROV, Romeo) why wasn't it sent sooner? It sounds rather political if it was blocked, especially with several Brits on board Titan. The French sent theirs!

*imstilla.believer ❤️

Numerous people are sharing the sentiment that is echoing not to underestimate the power of prayer, with many voices highlighting the occurrence of miracles in the past and emphasizing their continued possibility.

Colombian authorities rescued three children and a baby who disappeared 40 days ago after surviving a deadly May 1 plane crash in the Amazon jungle.

“This is a miracle from God. As beliefs of Indigenous people, for us, this is a test God is giving me, how much faith I have in Him,” said Manuel Ranoque, father of the two youngest children.

The bodies of their mother and two pilots were located at the crash site on May 16, but the kids were still missing. The children are members of the Huitoto Indigenous group of southeastern Colombia. They relied on their jungle and survival skills they learned early in their childhood to stay alive .

The remarkable rescue of 33 Chilean miners serves as another testament. Trapped deep underground for weeks, and cut off from communication, they managed to send a message assuring their safety. Against all odds, after 69 days, they were successfully rescued on Oct. 13, 2010.

Baby Jessica, who fell into a well in 1987, was miraculously rescued after being trapped for 58 hours.

Countless miracles have been witnessed, allowing people to defy all odds and survive. It’s the very hope for a miracle that resonates among rescuers and spectators as the search for the five Titan passengers continues.

Titanic sub could be in ultra-deep water​

The search for Titan is proving difficult.

The submersible could be in ultra-deep water as it is capable of reaching a depth of 4,000m - enough to reach the Titanic wreck which lies at 3,800m beneath the surface.

Radio and GPS signals can't travel through water, therefore remotely operated vehicles (ROV) are being used for the search instead.

The French submersible Victor 6000, which is being used at this stage, is capable of reaching the sea bed and transmitting images to the surface as well as carrying out extremely delicate manoeuvres such as cutting or removing debris.

1687434940959.png

It's actually crazy to see from the image above that a MILITARY submarine that's being built with every detail in mind has an operational depth of 300m (1,000 ft) and the Titan sub that didn't even adhere to all the necessary regulations would go to 3,800m (12,500ft).

4m ago

Robot vehicles deployed as Titan's oxygen supplies estimate to be exhausted​

Here’s a look at the main developments of the morning:

• Two remotely operated vehicles have been deployed as part of the search effort
  • According to US coast guard estimates, Titan’s 96 hours of breathable oxygen supplies are thought to be exhausted – although these are just estimates and much will depend on measure the passengers have taken to conserve air
  • Experts say it’s still unclear whether the submersible is on the surface on the seabed, and warn “weeks of intense survey” may be required to locate it
  • A British submariner and equipment from a UK firm will help the search for the missing submersible

If UK/Magellan have the Juliet ROV (I believe there is also a twin ROV, Romeo) why wasn't it sent sooner? It sounds rather political if it was blocked, especially with several Brits on board Titan. The French sent theirs!

Blocked by the US government allegedly. I read earlier this week they were ready to deploy and waiting for the go ahead :(

I feel absolutely sick.

NEW

Deep underwater drone subs reach sea floor​

In the last half-hour it has been confirmed that two deepwater ROVs, or remotely operated vehicles, have arrived at the site with one having reached the sea floor.

The United States Coast Guard said on social media the submersible attached to the Canadian vessel Horizon Arctic had reached the sea floor.

The Victor 6000, which is operated from the French research vessel Atalante, has also been deployed.

Will they still keep searching even if they know for definite the oxygen will have ran out do you think? I’m just thinking out loud and wondering if they will continue to deploy rescue ships in the coming days even if they know for sure the people on board Titan won’t have survived?

They should have known the risks. It is on them to own those risks. Some of them expressed ownership of the risks before they embarked.
Having said that, I feel for them and their families. This is a horrific outcome so far.

I believe this to a certain extent, but in a basic level. They of course knew that this was a risk, the risk of death is obvious, anything could happen. What I have an issue with is that they most definitely (save for Rush) did not know just how many things could go wrong routinely, and how many problems the Titan has had. They probably didn't know that they would have very little chance of being found if they surfaced miles from the mother ship, that there would be no way to signal for rescue etc, I don't think they were made aware of just how very dangerous this particular craft was, so I don't think we can look at it as I originally did, that they knew the risks and were accepting of them.

I know air travel is a risk, but if the aircrafts instruments aren't reliable and I don't know that, the risk is much higher than I am fully aware of, I would very likely make a different decision if I had been furnished with all the facts!.

''Jun 22, 2023
Former Navy Commander Frank Owen says one of the passengers on the missing Titan submarine could be key in helping the other passengers conserve oxygen levels, as rescue teams try to find the submersible. "Fortunately on board is a very experienced diver ... Paul-Henri Nargeolet … he would have been telling them how to conserve oxygen and reduce their carbon dioxide output," Mr Owen told Sky News host Andrew Bolt. “So it’s quite likely that the supplies will last well beyond the 96 hours," he said.''

''The rescue mission for the missing submersible exploring the wreck of the Titanic has reached a critical point, with the supply of oxygen on board now believed to have run out.

It comes as the first robot deployed in the rescue mission, deployed from Canadian ship Horizon Arctic, reached the sea floor - with a French ROV set to reach the wreckage in a matter of hours.

The US Coast Guard said the vessel had around 96 hours of oxygen left when it went missing on Sunday, estimating the supply would run out at around midday UK time today.'

''Humza Yousaf 'deeply sorry' to hear passenger is Strathclyde student​

First Minister Humza Yousaf said he was “deeply sorry” at the news that a Strathclyde University student was in the submersible.
He said: “The university will be deeply concerned, I’m deeply concerned. I think we all are deeply concerned and we’re all hoping and all praying for good news.
“But my thoughts are very much with the families and the communities that have been affected.”
1:00PM

'Freezing temperatures could help prolong life'​

Experts believe conditions on board might actually help the passengers stay alive for longer.
A spokesperson for the Explorer Club, which is assisting with the rescue, said: “While the planned life support supply depletes, we believe crew conservation and the near freezing temperatures could prolong life support by some time and the crew knows this.”

12:56PM

Blocked by the US government allegedly. I read earlier this week they were ready to deploy and waiting for the go ahead :(

I feel absolutely sick.
Worst nightmare territory. With time so critical, it’s gutting that hours were apparently lost on day one too by the alarm not going up sooner.

Worst nightmare territory. With time so critical, it’s gutting that hours were apparently lost on day one too by the alarm not going up sooner.
I think there is going to be a big focus on the delay in any future litigation.

I am not a lawyer, but I think it's a fair assumption to make. I bet that whatever waivers they signed, there wasn't a clause that said they'd be fine with the folks on the surface waiting around for many vital hours before reluctantly informing authorities in case of emergency.

MOO

The descent would normally take 2 hours, with a 'ping' being sent from the submersible every 15 minutes during that time.

Here is a timeline of key events since then (Source: The Guardian).

SUNDAY 18th June

8am GMT/3am ET:
Time the submersible originally aimed to start its descent, according to a post by Harding on Instagram. It actually started its descent later, according to the US Coast Guard.

12pm GMT/7am ET: The submersible starts what should be a two-hour descent to the Titanic wreck, nearly 4,000 metres down, according to the US Coast Guard.

1.45pm GMT/8.45am ET: Communications between the submersible and the surface vessel are lost 1 hour and 45 minutes after starting its descent.

7pm GMT/2pm ET: Titan is scheduled to return to the surface, the US Coast Guard says but fails to appear.

9.40pm GMT/4.40pm ET: US Coast Guard receives report about an overdue submersible from the research vessel Polar Prince about 900 nautical miles east of Cape Cod on the US coast.

MONDAY 19th June

US and Canadian ships and planes are swarming the area, some dropping sonar buoys that can monitor to a depth of almost 4,000 metres, US Coast Guard R Adm John Mauger says. Officials have also asked commercial vessels for help.

TUESDAY 20th June

2.50pm GMT/9am ET:
France says it will help with search by deploying Atalante, a ship equipped with a deep-sea diving vessel. It is expected to arrive late on Wednesday.

During the day: Sounds detected over several hours by Canadian Lockheed P-3 Orion aircraft, equipped with gear to trace submarines. CNN and Rolling Stone magazine report banging sounds at 30-minute intervals had been detected.

WEDNESDAY 21st June

US Coast Guard, US Navy, Canadian Coast Guard and OceanGate Expeditions establish a unified command to handle the search.

6am GMT/1am ET: US Coast Guard confirms Canadian P-3 aircraft detected underwater noises. It says remotely operated vehicle (ROV) searches are directed to the area of the sounds and the data is also sent to US Navy experts for analysis.

Late on Wednesday: More vessels, including a French research ship, equipped with a deep-sea diving vessel, were due to arrive to assist the “complex response effort”, which covers an area twice the size of Connecticut.

THURSDAY 22nd June

10am GMT/5am ET:
Approximate deadline for when the air in the submersible will run out, based on the US Coast Guard’s estimate that the Titan could have up to 96 hours of air supply from the time it was sealed.

ETA: Obviously we know the approximate deadline re oxygen was updated by US Coastguard today to around 1pm UK time.
Thank you - that was very helpful

I don't think anyone ever makes peace with the types of deaths this would have involved (just the high CO2/diminishing O2 would set off a physical chain of events in the human body that no one would look forward to or be able to approach "peacefully." It's an awful way to die.

I say this in part because my dad certainly made peace with death before setting off to World War 2, but he surely didn't want to die in certain ways. Not that he kept a cyanide capsule or anything, but he always said getting shot would be preferably to drowning inside his tank. He was also not keen on being a P.O.W.

The descriptions I've read of what it would be like to be up on the surface, bobbing just underneath, while the oxygen slowly depleted are just as bad.

IMO. It's an awful way to go. A simple drowning wouldn't be so bad (I've talked to people who almost drowned and that's what they remember - they didn't feel panic or pain at the time, so that's good). But slow asphyxiation. Not so great.

I think the best we can hope for is that the vessel imploded and they knew nothing, and the next best we can hope for is that they got stuck on something and hypothermia took them quickly before they started struggling for air. I really hate to think of them floating out there somewhere hoping for rescue until the air ran out.

I think there is going to be a big focus on the delay in any future litigation.

I am not a lawyer, but I think it's a fair assumption to make. I bet that whatever waivers they signed, there wasn't a clause that said they'd be fine with the folks on the surface waiting around for many vital hours before reluctantly informing authorities in case of emergency.

MOO
It would be particularly terrible imo if they got them out in the next few hours and the rescuers reckon that they would have survived if found just a few hours earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia