Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think the Titan blew up down there day of and its just taken this long for everything float back up?
If it imploded, the only things that are going to float back up would be exterior objects that were either buoyant or inherently hollow but high strength: Maybe an LED light or similar? MOO and Depends on how the periphery items came apart...

Did a little look into Titanium and Carbon Fiber. Titanium has about the same tensile and compressive yield strength as the better stainless steel alloys but is 40% of the weight, per unit volume. Problem is: its brittle at its ultimate strength. Carbon Fiber can be a made a lot of different ways but essentially consists of high strength fibers bound by some polymer; and weighs about 18% of steel. Either material is "elongation brittle" in material terms: carbon fiber samples fracture at around 3 to 4% strain and high grade titanium at less than 3%.

SO: Here's how a ductile (Mild Steel) horizontal cylinder implodes at low pressure differences....pretty quick for the cylinder portion, the heads at each end near survive. Consider though: when the collapse occurs, the reduction in volume of the containment would cause the internal pressure to increase, thus the pressure difference decreases....

With the infinite volume and depth of the ocean: the rise in internal pressure would occur in the order of 1/900 of a second and with brittle material, the cylinder would collapse inward and fracture. Should it occur that there was some air trapped at one spot, there would be a second collapse as that air pocket condensed...presuming the hull was ruptured by the first collapse, the pieces may or may not be dislodged or otherwise effected by the second collapse.

I would guess thought that some pieces of carbon fiber would be projected and spread around. Whereas I believe the titanium heads may be distorted but largely recognizable.

MOO and I'm sure some images will be forthcoming.

What are the chances that the hull would still be viable without the landing gear and rear cover?

MOO

Jettisoning the landing gear would have aided the Titan in getting back to the surface. But then, it would be on the surface (and there are quite a few ships just above the Titanic site, so hard to believe they didn't see it on the surface).

It is more likely that the hull imploded (as it had 1 Earth atmosphere of pressure inside - and, well, what 400 atmospheres or more outside? Once breached, the weight of the ocean crushed the capsule to particles - perhaps to molecules). It would be like a blast from a 6000 PSI air pump. If you've ever over inflated a tire to explosion (I did), the air rushing out of 70-90 PSI can hurt you, blind you, or damage your hearing (especially in an enclosed area). Think about what happens when a mere tire blows out and there are small fragments in the road.

It's hard for us to imagine the force of this implosive blast at that depth. All I know is that the diving pool that was 20 feet deep when I was a kid was too much pressure for me to go down below 10-12 (I'm not very brave and don't like pressure in my ears or around my body). I know people routinely go down with SCUBA gear to much lower depths.

But not even a military sub can go to 13,000 feet below (more like 4500 feet). Still nearly impossible to rescue due to weight of water.

IMO.

They’re still working to develop the details for the timeline.

“Incredibly complex operating environment over 2 miles.”

Is there any question as to whether the sub collided with the Titanic?

Debris field was approx 1600 feet from the wreck of the Titanic.

The wreck was found off the bow of the Titanic. Smooth bottom - no Titanic wreckage in the area.

The timing of the implosion- “too early to tell.”

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/jun/22/titanic-sub-live-updates-search-titan-missing-submarine-submersible-rescue-us-coast-guard-latest-news?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-649484ac8f08c081c5bb64fa#top-of-blog

3m ago

Rear Adm John Mauger, the First Coast Guard District commander says a remotely operated vehicle from Horizon Arctic discovered the tail cone of the Titan sub approximately 1,600 feet from the bow of the Titanic on the seafloor.

The debris is “consistent with a catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber”, he says.

Upon this determination, we immediately notified the families on behalf of the United States Coast Guard and the entire unified command. I offer my deepest condolences to the families.

5 major pieces of debris of the OceanGate Titan were found -- including a nose cone, front end bell of pressure hull, aft end bell of the pressure hull. It was likely a catastrophic implosion.

Tail cone of Titan sub found - US Coast Guard​

Rear adm Mauger says this morning an ROV from the vessel Horizon Artic found the tail cone of the Titan submersible approximately 1600ft from the bow of the Titanic wreck.
And they found additional debris, which is consistent with a catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber.

They immediately notified families.

ROVs to remain on scene, US Coast Guard says​

US Coast Guard officials said the remote operating vehicles (ROVs) operating on the sea floor around the Titanic will remain on the scene.

Timeline still being worked on​

The US Coast Guard says they are still working to develop the details for the timeline involved.

It's an "incredibly complex environment" on the sea floor, 2 miles beneath the surface, Rear Admiral John Mauger says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13