Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that losing communication and therefore navigation would by protocol mean that the sub immediately heads to the surface.
I guess it’s possible they may be bobbing on the surface waiting for someone to find them. I think it more likely a catastrophic failure sadly happened.

I've been reading various tweeters about this situation and I'm not sure if this is true. More than one person has said both the Canadian and US military have sound sensors in ocean water at all times and if the sub exploded, they would be aware. Anybody know if that's true?

I would think that losing communication and therefore navigation would by protocol mean that the sub immediately heads to the surface.
I guess it’s possible they may be bobbing on the surface waiting for someone to find them. I think it more likely a catastrophic failure sadly happened.

And as someone pointed out the vessel is *grey*, not a high-visibility colour. The sun is going down here now where this is. I’m wondering about lights.

And as someone pointed out the vessel is *grey*, not a high-visibility colour. The sun is going down here now where it is. I’m wondering about lights.
I would imagine even on a clear day and calm seas it would be difficult to see from the air. They are looking for a needle in a haystack even if it is bobbing somewhere. If it is on the seabed then I'm guessing they may never find it and the only hope then is that the occupants passed instantly

They’re in iceberg alley and it’s treacherous on a good day. I understand wanting to see the Titanic. If I were a billionaire I’d do it ten times. But it’s risky.

The icebergs travel south.

View attachment 429941
My son is an engineer and worked on the Hibernia Oil Rig off of Nova Scotia. The rig was fastened to the bottom of the sea floor. When the icebergs nudged the rig, he could feel it.

Paul-Henry Nargeolet, 73, the underwater research program director at Premier Exhibitions, RMS Titanic, Inc, spoke about the extreme dangers of deep-sea exploration in a 2019 interview with the Irish Examiner.

“If you are 11m or 11km down, if something bad happens, the result is the same,” Mr Nargeolet said.

“When you’re in very deep water, you’re dead before you realise that something is happening, so it’s just not a problem.”

Mr Nargeolet is one of five passengers on-board the submersible that vanished while exploring the wreckage of the Titanic in the Atlantic Ocean.

I agree with that and the quote you wrote about it possibly desecrating a burial site.

Here in Nova Scotia we have the most graves of the recovered victims of the Titanic. It’s a somber reminder.

“Mr. Dawson is one of 121 people from the Titanic buried at Fairview Lawn Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, their graves arranged in the shape of a ship’s hull. It is the largest collection of Titanic graves in the world. An additional 29 are buried in two more local cemeteries.”

View attachment 429965
Thank you for sharing. I wasn't aware of the graveyard containing the Titanic victims.

So the 90 hours of oxygen does that only last that long if they or under the sea or do they have more time IF it is above the water? I have no idea how it works
Right - and if these people onboard are panicking, breathing heavily, etc. does that use up the oxygen quicker? I also have no idea how this works.

I agree with that and the quote you wrote about it possibly desecrating a burial site.

Here in Nova Scotia we have the most graves of the recovered victims of the Titanic. It’s a somber reminder.

“Mr. Dawson is one of 121 people from the Titanic buried at Fairview Lawn Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, their graves arranged in the shape of a ship’s hull. It is the largest collection of Titanic graves in the world. An additional 29 are buried in two more local cemeteries.”

View attachment 429965
Thank you, @Lexiintoronto.

I have as much interest in the Titanic as the average enthusiast.

In Halifax I was overwhelmed when visiting the Maritime Museum which houses artifacts from Titanic that washed ashore there. I recall the deck chairs, baby shoes, some furniture and other items, with a very informative tour guide.

For me it was exciting and yet very somber. I don’t recall going to that cemetery though and thank you for reminding us that for most victims, the ocean is the gravesite.

It is a terrible irony that people with interest and sufficient resources to submerge to the ocean floor may well be tertiary victims of the original disaster.

I want to pretend that it is just their communication system that is broken, but I don't believe that. I would guess that a company that specializes in a submersible to the Titanic would have a system in place that in case of communication failure, it would be mandatory to surface.

With billionaires and illustrious scientists on board, it seems unfathomable that widely recognized emergency procedures are not in place. By that I mean a beacon and a highly visible color such as orange, for the off-chance that they surfaced but have not been spotted.

To be trapped in such a small vessel, at the bottom of the Atlantic, with bolts on the OUTSIDE, is the entwining of many nightmares for me.

Who knows how reliable this is from the DM, but it is reporting that the sub "is understood to have last 'pinged' while it was directly above it's final destination - the Titanic."

The original source is The Times. Can anyone access The Times to read the article?

The Times reports that 'Titan' - the name of the submersible - lost contact with the surface for at least seven hours and had appeared to be closing in on its final destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashpandaoutside