Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pogue: Missing Titanic tour submarine ‘constantly plagued by mechanical errors’ | NewsNation Now

Here is a video interview with David Pogue from today. He talks about what it was like when he went on the expedition last year as a jounalist. (He's clearly being sought out by all of the media right now.)

I found it interesting that he said that all submersibles break down regularly. For this expedition they regularly stay out at the site for 5 days and they may only successfully make it down to the Titanic once in 5 tries, for a variety of reasons. He himself did not make it down successfully. The trip from the ship on the surface, down to the Titanic and back takes about 10 hours, allowing for time heading down; exploring the Titanic; and back up. (I've seen others say it only takes 2-3 hours to get down.)
What does everyone think of the odd are that the only failure being communication and that the sub is still functioning?

Being serious...but there is toilet :oops: right?
Yes, there was what looked like a bowl and a plastic container for urine and a privacy screen. But inside the vessel the space is the size of a minivan. I’d personally be holding it or wearing depends. But if they’re alive they’re past that point of being shy.

They have limited food and water.

Hopefully if they’re alive they’re keeping calm and breathing easy so that they don’t use up too much oxygen.

What does everyone think of the odd are that the only failure being communication and that the sub is still functioning?

JMO, its still possible. Perhaps they drifted some distance before surfacing and are floating around out there. It happened before, they say.

ETA: I don't know enough to estimate probability, though. If they're out there bobbing around, they could have traveled some distance.

If they lost communication I’d think the safety protocol would be to surface, imo. Maybe they thought ‘ah, we’re close. Maybe it’s just a temporary glitch’ and carried on. With no communication maybe they are on the surface drifting.
Yes, to surface drifting. If any crew can figure a way out of whatever happened, it's this one. These guys are CEOs, problem solvers, the makers and do-ers with decades of experience. Doubtful they would continue to bottom if they knew something was wrong. They all have too much to lose to risk going ahead with damaged equipment.
I have hope, at least, for the next 60-80 hours.

OceanGate: "Our highest priority during our early dives was the development of detailed operations, maintenance, and safety manuals for our crew and equipment that would allow us to operate safely and consistently in a wide variety of demanding environments."

Unless a whale was involved.
Prayers UP.
JMO

It’s always mind blowing to me that planes and submarines can just disappear like this. In an age where we seemingly track everything, I just don’t understand how and why things like this don’t have emergency, fail safe tracking of sorts. But I am far, far from a technology expert.

Yes, to surface drifting. If any crew can figure a way out of whatever happened, it's this one. These guys are CEOs, problem solvers, the makers and do-ers with decades of experience. Doubtful they would continue to bottom if they knew something was wrong. They all have too much to lose to risk going ahead with damaged equipment.
I have hope, at least, for the next 60-80 hours.

OceanGate: "Our highest priority during our early dives was the development of detailed operations, maintenance, and safety manuals for our crew and equipment that would allow us to operate safely and consistently in a wide variety of demanding environments."

Unless a whale was involved.
Prayers UP.
JMO
It's entirely possible an Orca or another whale attacked them wanting to play, but destroyed the sub instead.

My prayers go out to all five of them and their families, and hope they are found safe.

I've been reading various tweeters about this situation and I'm not sure if this is true. More than one person has said both the Canadian and US military have sound sensors in ocean water at all times and if the sub exploded, they would be aware. Anybody know if that's true?
It is crazy to me that this vessel does not have a bunch or redundant signaling systems with different kinds of battery back up, IMO

If memory serves me, existence of this type “secret” underwater monitoring (measures acoustic waves?) was exposed during investigation of missing Malaysia Flight 370. I’m not able to recall exact details on which country (definitely not Australia’s system that too claimed recorded sounds). Basically, late into investigation, data from a detected underwater anomaly in Indian Ocean and during time frame of suspected crash was revealed to Malaysian government. This investigation also disclosed secret satellite monitoring/tracking air traffic activity when data pings from that flight were shared including after airline tracking systems were disengaged. Eventually explained that airline manufacturers installed undisclosed tracking device for satellite monitoring. Way more than you probably expected and light on specific details being so long ago.

or the submarine to reach the Titanic?

In order to visit the wreck, passengers climb inside Titan, the five-person submersible, which takes two hours to descend approximately 12,500 feet (3,800 m) to the Titanic. The British passenger ship famously sank in 1912 on its maiden voyage after striking an iceberg, killing more than 1,500 people.(1 hour ago)

Reuters | Breaking International News & Views › world › t...

Ships, planes search for sub that went missing on trip to Titanic wreckage

They lost contact 1h 45m into the 2 hour descent. The Titan would be sbout 1500 feet above the Titanic.

Ballard believed with the advanced video technology that people did not need to put themselves in danger nor the cost of travel to see hard to reach places in our world and beyond.

We have cameras to go to Titanic there is no need to go there imo.
You can sit on your couch and see it.

(No link but I have read every one of his books.)
He's not wrong. During the worst of COVID lockdowns, my partner entertained herself exploring tombs in Egypt online. You should check them out if you like ancient Egypt, they're great. Thank you to the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities! (Nobody except archaeologists should go in the tombs any more. All the thousands of people breathing out all that moisture is causing mould to bloom and grow, destroying what has survived for thousands of years.)

MOO

It's entirely possible an Orca or another whale attacked them wanting to play, but destroyed the sub instead.

My prayers go out to all five of them and their families, and hope they are found safe.

If that happened, it could only have been while they were at the surface.

Whales are mammals, and they need to breathe air, which is why they periodically surface to breathe air through their blowholes. They can’t survive at great depths, just like all mammals.

It couldn’t have happened when the passengers were about to submerge because there were photographers there, since we saw the pictures of them on Titan in MSM. And apparently communication was lost with the sub while they were still deeply submerged.

It’s an interesting thought, but IMO rogue whales are really only a problem for pleasure boats or fishing boats, such as are mentioned in your link.

Hearing what the Stockton guy said about this kind of philanthropy funding something that was contributing to learning about our planet, things that just wouldn't be funded any other way, I felt it as something beautiful.

Exploration, wanting to learn more about the unknown and make it less 'unknown', wanting to be the first to do something that's never been done before...some people just have a drive for those things. And a rare few have the desire, ability, perseverance, and/or wealth to make it happen. I don't really think there's a right or wrong about it. I think it's a positive thing for humanity to have people like them among us.

It’s always mind blowing to me that planes and submarines can just disappear like this. In an age where we seemingly track everything, I just don’t understand how and why things like this don’t have emergency, fail safe tracking of sorts. But I am far, far from a technology expert.
I’m so not a tech person but on occasion learn interesting tidbits from my passion for all types of mysterious events. The technology exists with advancement of satellite tracking systems but the issue is with the exorbitant costs in upgrading airline systems for each individual airplane. I assume as older inventory is replaced with updated airplanes that will ensure accurate tracking.
Not positive but recall discussions several years ago on regulations mandating system upgrades by a certain date in the future. After upgrade cost analysis, airline determined fines associated with violation less costly than system upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmandaRDH