Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I really hate this. I panic driving through tunnels - I hate the idea of anything being above me like that and being trapped. I have my own personal thoughts on the ethics of companies offering trips to the Titanic wreck (it's a hard no from me), but I really was hoping for a positive outcome to this. I'm not so optimistic anymore. I just hope they weren't scared and didn't suffer if it does take the inevitable turn that I think it will. I continue to hope I am wrong.
The USS Thresher was documented at imploding in not as deep of water (~2,400') in 1 millisecond. Twenty foot radius in a millisecond is about 1,500 mph, I believe I have read where the nervous system neurons travel at like 250 mph.

The maker of the lost Titanic sub said 'innovation' was the reason the vessel wasn't checked to see if it was up to industry standards​

This sounds like a science fiction movie. Human trials is what it is. It’s like using medication on humans before it‘s approved by the FDA. imo

Last edited:

OceanGate Expeditions, the tourist company responsible for the missing submersible with five people on board, took eight hours to report it to the Coast Guard on Sunday, DailyMail.com can reveal.

The company's Titan sub submerged at 8am on Sunday morning around 400 miles southeast of St John's, Newfoundland. At 9.45am - an hour and 45 minutes into the dive - it lost contact with its mothership, the Polar Prince.

But it wasn't reported as missing to the US Coast Guard until 5.40pm, eight hours later. Canada's Coast Guard wasn't alerted until even later - 9.13pm on Sunday night.

They gave it time to come to the surface, then reported it when it was a no show.

IMO, that may be because it had lost communication and/or got lost during past excursions. Then, came to the surface.

It may have been a reasonable choice given the history. IMO

I’m starting to feel a bit angry, actually. I know they were apparently undertaking scientific research as well as fulfilling dreams to see the Titanic, but this just increasingly screams of more money than sense.
It also seems like a way to bank it with paying passengers while bypassing regulations for vessels taking passengers by labelling the passengers as crew.

MOO

There seems to be a lot of contradictory timelines. I'm wondering if the company knew exactly what had happened but feared bad press so tried to keep it quiet until they knew they couldn't. Why else would they wait hours to report it? MOO

There seems to be a lot of contradictory timelines. I'm wondering if the company knew exactly what had happened but feared bad press so tried to keep it quiet until they knew they couldn't. Why else would they wait hours to report it? MOO

To give it time to reach the surface probably.

How could the company know when NO ONE knew?

To give it time to reach the surface probably.

How could the company know when no one knew?
Yeah there's waiting a few hours for it to surface and then there's 6-8hrs later. It just feels like they waited too long when help could have already been searching.

Maybe via the communication link they had, I don't know it's pure speculation based on the ever changing timeline

All moo

I’m starting to feel a bit angry, actually. I know they were apparently undertaking scientific research as well as fulfilling dreams to see the Titanic, but this just increasingly screams of more money than sense.

Yes. A sense that immense wealth can buy you immense safety even when taking huge risks.

I guess they were their risks to take, their money to waste and their lives to gamble with, I'm guessing they must have understood the risks and if 3 waivers and more than one mention of possible death didn't dissuade them from taking those risks, then we have to assume they were OK with them.

It's their families I feel for, the ones who didn't make that choice but will still have to live with the consequences of it, and I do wonder if their estates will be required to cover the cost of the vast amount of resources being used just now to try and recover them, what's money after all?.

The ancient Greeks called it hubris.

I know it takes a certain degree of arrogance to get anywhere with progress and discovery, but I think without a healthy measure of skepticism and methodical testing and planning for adverse outcomes, then you're setting yourself up to be a cautionary tale. The problem is, the more arrogant people are, the less likely they are to be worried about safety and the more likely they are to think it's worth the risk.

MOO
Will OceanGate refund the cost of all the search and rescue operations? I think they should, JMO

Yeah there's waiting a few hours for it to surface and then there's 6-8hrs later. It just feels like they waited too long when help could have already been searching.

Maybe via the communication link they had, I don't know it's pure speculation based on the ever changing timeline

All moo
It all smacks very much of CYA, as if they cared about bad PR more than the people on the sub. That may not be the case, but it's certainly how it's going to be interpreted by people, especially the families. The father and son in particular seem to be close to their family and the least informed about the dangers. The CEO, the Scottish guy, and the French Titanic expert all seemed experienced and informed of the risks through previous experience and careers, etc. I don't know that the father and son knew much more than it was going to be an adventure.

MOO

I guess they were their risks to take, their money to waste and their lives to gamble with, I'm guessing they must have understood the risks and if 3 waivers and more than one mention of possible death didn't dissuade them from taking those risks, then we have to assume they were OK with them.

It's their families I feel for, the ones who didn't make that choice but will still have to live with the consequences of it, and I do wonder if their estates will be required to cover the cost of the vast amount of resources being used just now to try and recover them, what's money after all?.

I’m fairly confident there’ll be some sort of lawsuit, despite the strong warnings they signed in the disclaimer.

If they’re dead, I hope that a) it was instant and b) they actually got to see what they went for.

I’m fairly confident there’ll be some sort of lawsuit, despite the strong warnings they signed in the disclaimer.

If they’re dead, I hope that a) it was instant and b) they actually got to see what they went for.

I hope it was instant too. I hate the thought of them being trapped and slowly running out of air.
I really hope they find them floating somewhere and alive, but it seems unlikely at this point.

The problem is, you buy a basic medication, you buy an electrical appliance, it comes with warnings about how it can kill you. We're used to seeing 'may cause death' on things that are tested again and again before being released to the market. So when we see it, and the risk is real, how are we meant to know the difference? Especially when the man selling it to us tells us "it's unsinkable, I'm going along on this dive myself?" We assume that behind that man, unseen, are a whole lot of folks who have done their due diligence to meet some standard, to ensure safety, because that's what happens in every other aspect of our lives.

MOO

This sounded like an accident waiting to happen.

The lack of safety measures involved seem grossly negligent.

I can’t see a positive outcome - so I really hope this was a sudden ending for all involved rather than them sat around waiting for the oxygen supply to run out.

He added Magellan’s remotely operated vehicle was unique in that it was likely the only asset available to have a winch capable of
dragging submersibles from the depths of the ocean, while it can also detect signals and send them above the surface.

Emphasis mine.

A few more links. ^^^

Take Yahoo with a slight grain of salt. :rolleyes:
Esp. the first article -- in regards to the U.S. blocking the U.K.'s use of the Magellan.
Hoping it was misreporting !

Time is running out if they're alive, and every effort to rescue them needs to be allowed ; from any country that has the capabilities !!!!
Isn’t it in International waters? I don’t see how the U.S. could block them? But I don’t know much, so there’s that.

Appalled is the word that comes to my mind, not amazed.

It's a question of which components are mission critical.

On a sub like this, IMO only a few things are truly crucial: ability of the sub to withstand the pressure, ability of the sub to maintain an atmosphere compatible with life, ability of the sub to resurface in the event of problems, and ability of the sub to contact help in the event of problems.

The failure of a simple controller or touch-screen computer, no matter how cheap, shouldn't be mission critical. And if those things are mission critical, IMO there are much bigger problems with the design of the sub than a Logitech controller. In the past, other subs have lost all power and been left in complete darkness with no ability to do anything or contact anyone. But the redundant surfacing mechanisms worked perfectly and the subs floated back up unharmed.

Assuming Titan hasn't resurfaced somewhere, my gut tells me there was a catastrophic failure and the crew were already lost before anyone at the surface even knew there was a problem.

At the request of French President Emmanuel Macron, a French ship named Atalante is diverting to the area of the missing submissive and should reach the area Wednesday night.

The ship has an exploration robot that can dive up to 4,000 meters, according to a spokesman for France's Ifremer Institute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member