Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, I'm not disputing it, just giving my opinion about those poor people - that since they are almost certainly doomed, it would be better for them to die sooner rather than later while enduring awful fear and panic, plus other physical symptoms. IMO JMO

You’ve likely read- article posted above sadly states US Coast Guard investigation indicates sounds not linked to submarine. So hoping for them to be rescued.

It so confusing to me. (I’m not smart when it comes to this stuff). If this submersible and it’s carrier ship is able to find the titanic so often- during most of the trips I think- how can it take so long to find them? How expansive is the wreckage? What are they using to find them?
Some thoughts combined with things I've read about the search efforts.

I read that the Titanic's two parts are separated by 800 metres, so it's quite a large debris field.

It's easier to find the Titanic as it's huge and not moving. But the submersible only seems to be able to see a short distance away from itself, so it needs help from the mother ship to guide it.

The submersible is tiny and probably moving with undersea or surface currents. Lower down on the ocean floor you have rocks and unevenness of the sea floor that would make it hard to differentiate between a rock and the submersible when searching with active sonar.

It's a huge volume area for the active sonar to scan, especially not knowing if the submersible has drifted.

They'll be doing visual searches of the sea surface. Also active and passive sonar. Active sonar is like the echo location that bats use...send out a ping and wait for it to come back, and then you can work out the distance to whatever surface the sound 'hit'. Passive sonar is listening for sounds like someone in the submersible banging on the hull in an attempt to be heard.

1687339899356.jpeg

1. Hull is made out of five inches of carbon fibre, allowing it to withstand high pressures at the wreck of the Titanic
2. Propelled by four electric thrusters - two horizontal, two vertical - allowing it to travel at speeds of up to three knots
3. Pilot steers using a modified video game controller
4. Weights allow Titan to sink 2.4 miles below sea level, and can be offloaded so that it returns to the surface
5. The toilet is separated from the rest of the crew by a thin curtain, and provides a spectacular view through the 21-inch viewport
6. A titanium cap is bolted on to the hull before the expedition, sealing passengers inside until they return to the surface
1687339521521.jpeg
1687340378239.jpeg

Attachments

• 1687339728197.jpeg
    1687339728197.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
If the last ping from the submersible was at 1 hr 45 mins into the dive, and the pings are every 15 mins...the wreck is about 2 hrs in. It depends if it's 1 hr 55ish or 2 hrs 10ish, but it could have just reached the wreck if it's the 2 hour ping that never came. I think it's unlikely they would have got caught in the wreck that quickly, but I'm now thinking that interaction with the wreck can't be ruled out.

A submarine search and rescue expert in Australia, Frank Owen, tells the BBC his “confidence went up by an order of magnitude” when he heard reports of banging being detected by floating sound detectors.

“There's a couple of reasons for that,” he explains. “Firstly, on board this craft is a retired French navy diver. He would know the protocol for trying to alert searching forces… on the hour and the half hour you bang like hell for three minutes.”

He says the sound signal being picked by a buoy close to the surface also suggests that the sub itself could be near or at the surface.

“Below about 180 metres, the water temperature drops very rapidly,” he explained. “That creates a layer that the [sonar signal] bounces off. But if you’re in the same depth water it tends to go quite straight.”

Even if Titan is at the surface, it will be difficult to spot. Very little of the small, white vessel sits above the water.

But using an array of sound-detecting buoys to triangulate the signal could narrow down its position.

A submarine search and rescue expert in Australia, Frank Owen, tells the BBC his “confidence went up by an order of magnitude” when he heard reports of banging being detected by floating sound detectors.

“There's a couple of reasons for that,” he explains. “Firstly, on board this craft is a retired French navy diver. He would know the protocol for trying to alert searching forces… on the hour and the half hour you bang like hell for three minutes.”

sbm If anyone could save this situation it would be him and (possibly) the CEO.
Sorry can't remember names. I read somewhere he's been at the Titanic more times than the actual passengers, think he was there when they first went down in the late 1980s and many times since then.
I worry more and more something happened to the hull but I think they could also be stuck.
But why would contact suddenly be lost if they got stuck. And they weren't too close to the wreck at that point.
My heart is aching for the 19-year-old, the adults would try look for solutions, I imagine him sitting there just terrified, worried to interrupt anything, just wanting to go home ugh =(

He says the sound signal being picked by a buoy close to the surface also suggests that the sub itself could be near or at the surface.

“Below about 180 metres, the water temperature drops very rapidly,” he explained. “That creates a layer that the [sonar signal] bounces off. But if you’re in the same depth water it tends to go quite straight.”

Even if Titan is at the surface, it will be difficult to spot. Very little of the small, white vessel sits above the water.

But using an array of sound-detecting buoys to triangulate the signal could narrow down its position.

I questioned in an earlier post how much of Titan would be visible even if it had managed to surface.

It may only be a few inches below the surface, but it's still a tiny white needle in a shimmering haystack thousands of square miles in area... even if it's right under the searchers' noses they might not see it. And it can of course be moved by the currents, so where it was yesterday might be hundreds of miles from where it is today.

An earlier article suggests a "white rectangle" was spotted by one of the search planes, but a search ship wasn't sent to the area where it was seen. That's mind-boggling to me.

If the last ping from the submersible was at 1 hr 45 mins into the dive, and the pings are every 15 mins...the wreck is about 2 hrs in. It depends if it's 1 hr 55ish or 2 hrs 10ish, but it could have just reached the wreck if it's the 2 hour ping that never came. I think it's unlikely they would have got caught in the wreck that quickly, but I'm now thinking that interaction with the wreck can't be ruled out.

It's also possible they misjudged the descent and hit the sea floor at too high a speed. It wouldn't necessarily compromise the structure of the vessel and be immediately fatal to the crew, but it could definitely damage the systems.

rbbm
''Don Lynch, the official historian for the Titanic Historical Society, visited the shipwreck twice in 2001 aboard Russian submersibles Mir-1 and Mir-2 for the filming of the James Cameron-directed documentary “Ghosts of the Abyss.” In an interview from California, Lynch said it was knowledge of the crushing pressure from the nearly 3.8 kilometres of water above the decaying ship that brought an odd sense of peace.

“When I went down, the most comforting thing to know was that if there was ever a leak in the submersible, it would implode instantly and there would be no suffering,” he said. “And that’s quite comforting.”

Officials overseeing the search about 700 kilometres south of St. John’s, N.L., confirmed Tuesday afternoon that the five people aboard the 6.7-metre-long Titan submersible had about 40 hours of oxygen left. The Titan is owned and operated by OceanGate Expeditions, and the company’s chief executive officer, Stockton Rush, is among the passengers.

Lynch said that when he made the descent aboard the Russian-owned Mir submersibles, the practice was always to send two vessels down at once. That way, one could help if the other ran into trouble.

The descent took about two hours, he said. The submarine would be shut down to minimum power for the journey down, and then the pilot would power it up about 15 minutes before it reached the sea floor.''

Attachments

• 1687348943244.png
    1687348943244.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
"The odds are against them," Marquet said. "There's a ship in Boston that has this ability to either lower cable and connect to it or have a claw. It's still a thousand miles away."

Even if a vessel was able to locate the submersible and lower a cable, it's extremely difficult to safely navigate the waters and attach it, Marquet said.

"You've got to get it exactly right. It's sort of like ... getting one of those toys out of those arcade machines. In general, you miss," he said.

Rescuers do have one advantage, Marquet said, as weather conditions off the coast of Newfoundland are not rough and will not disturb any boat or vessel there.

Marquet said if the boat made it to the surface, the submersible crew would be able to open the hatch to allow for more oxygen while it was adrift.

Marquet told ABC that if the five people are still alive, they would be asked to sleep to conserve their oxygen.

"We would put the vast majority of the crew to sleep because that's when you're using the least amount of oxygen and you're expelling the least amount of carbon dioxide," he said.

BBM

And pray tell, how exactly would he “put them to sleep”? Do they keep tranquilizers on board? Because I can’t imagine this scenario is very conducive to sleep.

Even if I were at home in my comfy bed, I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep on command if I had massive amounts of adrenaline coursing through my veins. You might as well forget about it if I’m trapped in some tiny, cramped vessel with 4 other people thousands of feet below the surface of the ocean.

The 5 people on board are middle-aged and over, except for the 19-year-old lad. The older ones have already had a fair amount of a good and full life, but my heart goes out to the 19-year-old, who has only just begun his journey as a man.

Question: maybe anyone knows. If something medical happened during the descent to Stoughton Rush, would the rest of the group be able to navigate the submersible, communicate with the mother ship or even, get up? Or does it require special knowledge that neither of the remaining four people have nor can be taught during a short time before the trip?
From my understanding, the submersible itself is a simple bathyscaphe with load, made of newer materials and hence, technically able to withstand higher pressures. I don’t know if it has a propeller or not; it should, theoretically, in order to move and see something underwater; but essentially, it is dropped, loaded, from the mother ship, and at the end of the trip, it disengages from the load and slowly resurfaces. Theoretically, it is simple mechanism, but would they passengers be able to manage it on their own if the captain had, say, a medical episode?

I’m all for science, exploration of the wonders of the world etc, but I can’t keep thinking this is one of those things left well enough alone…as though we didn’t learn our lesson the first time, when the ship actually sank. Hubris will always win out, in us humans….

BBM

And pray tell, how exactly would he “put them to sleep”? Do they keep tranquilizers on board? Because I can’t imagine this scenario is very conducive to sleep.

Even if I were at home in my comfy bed, I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep on command if I had massive amounts of adrenaline coursing through my veins. You might as well forget about it if I’m trapped in some tiny, cramped vessel with 4 other people thousands of feet below the surface of the ocean.
I’d be hard pressed to take something to make me sleep in such a situation. (Too much WS?) I would automatically assume they intend for me to sleep sleep, so they could have my air.

I do wonder what the conversations have been and how the tourists are dealing with CEO and his profit over safety death trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia