Found Deceased TN - Blake Smith, 20, Knoxville, 3 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an additional video interview where his dad says he texted and called Blake several times in the morning and he did not respond: http://www.wvtm13.com/article/trussville-parents-talk-about-search-for-missing-son/16615481

It was only after his son didn't answer in the morning that they called the roommates and found out he never came back to the dorm.

I am not meaning this toward the parents at all. I do not think that they are at any fault. The pinging app, did what BS's parent wanted it to do, and after logging in, and finding the address unusual at that time, the parent's didn't phone him that night, it appears.

It is odd to me. Having a child who I desperately tried to track down on phone, foot, and vehicle, on nearly a once monthly basis, I'd have been calling all over the place if I felt something was unusual, for that hour, and had an actual place to send someone too ( If I were local, I'd be sitting in front of the house myself).

This is a son, who was studying to become a pastor. He'd decided upon a place of education , that has guidelines, that 98% of U.S. college students would not ever entertain for even nano-second. To me, I'd not have ever thought to put a tracker on this 20 y.o. kid's phone. Which is it? A kid that you have to check in on randomly throughout the day? or The 20 y.o. young man, who is a junior in college? If it's the former, why not send someone out that night when things seemed unusual? If it's the latter, why is the tracking software on there? Were they making sure he was on the straight and narrow?

If so, did he have another life? Seeing someone that would have been unapproved? Something just went wrong that night?

I'm really reaching, I know...

His parents and most news sources say he was dropped off at his dorm after finishing work at 2pm. They also state that he must have left soon after in his own car to be at the location of the lake photo when it was posted. A few MSM/SM accounts mention him NOT making it back to the dorm after work, but I think these must be inaccurate as the parents have that app that allows family members to see travelled routes etc...

I don't know if it tracks you constantly though, or if it only tells you when you ask. As in, if I didn't ask it my spouse's location, when he was in the Tractor Supply, it may not tell me that he'd dropped in there, for x amount of time.

I don't know if it tracks you constantly though, or if it only tells you when you ask. As in, if I didn't ask it my spouse's location, when he was in the Tractor Supply, it may not tell me that he'd dropped in there, for x amount of time.

I used the 360 app when my son started catching public transport to school. When you open the app it will show there current location. You can select time frames and it will show previous movements. I would check he made it to school in the morning, and got home in the afternoon as I was at work. I could then select the whole day and it would show if he left that location. I busted him skipping classes a few times!!! Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the 360 app when my son started catching public transport to school. When you open the app it will show there current location. You can select time frames and it will show previous movements. I would check he made it to school in the morning, and got home in the afternoon as I was at work. I could then select the whole day and it would show if he left that location. I busted him skipping classes a few times!!! Hope that helps.

A lot! Thanks! I don't have anyone to track any longer. I'd have given my eye teeth, for that, when my kid was young!

Has anyone been able to find the depth of the creek where he was found?

There are two places called Georges Creek. One is up next to where the bridge connects across the water source. That may be where some confusion is coming in. I think he was found at the "B" Georges Creek, bridge location. Just a hunch.

attachment.php

I think you’re right

I am not meaning this toward the parents at all. I do not think that they are at any fault. The pinging app, did what BS's parent wanted it to do, and after logging in, and finding the address unusual at that time, the parent's didn't phone him that night, it appears.

It is odd to me. Having a child who I desperately tried to track down on phone, foot, and vehicle, on nearly a once monthly basis, I'd have been calling all over the place if I felt something was unusual, for that hour, and had an actual place to send someone too ( If I were local, I'd be sitting in front of the house myself).

This is a son, who was studying to become a pastor. He'd decided upon a place of education , that has guidelines, that 98% of U.S. college students would not ever entertain for even nano-second. To me, I'd not have ever thought to put a tracker on this 20 y.o. kid's phone. Which is it? A kid that you have to check in on randomly throughout the day? or The 20 y.o. young man, who is a junior in college? If it's the former, why not send someone out that night when things seemed unusual? If it's the latter, why is the tracking software on there? Were they making sure he was on the straight and narrow?

If so, did he have another life? Seeing someone that would have been unapproved? Something just went wrong that night?

Did you watch the video? His dad said he did not call him at 2 AM because he reasoned that Blake may be staying overnight with a friend who commutes to college and he tried not to worry until the morning when he tried to text and call his son and did not hear back. This seems like a very reasonable response to the situation and in the end his dad was right that something was wrong. Several posters in this thread shared they used these types of apps not to track every movement or due to lack of trust but more as a safety precaution so they know their family members are ok. I posted a link to the app website several pages back and noted that users of the app can choose who sees their location and disable the location function. It was not as if they were tracking him without his knowledge. If he was doing something he didn't want his parents to know about he could have disabled the app or left the phone in his dorm. But he apparently did neither. His instagram is also private but his family can see it. So if he posted that photo, then he was intending to share with his family where he was located. JMO. Maybe he agreed to use the tracking app for safety because he did ministry work visiting criminals in the local jails? His dad also said he liked to hike and maybe it was his habit to visit parks alone. IDK. I don't really understand the use of these types of apps but every friend I have with college age kids worries about them when they go off to school and struggles with when to let them make their own decisions and when to "butt in". That doesn't really seem strange to me. Parents of adult college age kids have to walk a line of trusting and still checking on their kids for the sake of their own peace of mind. I don't think there is anything they could have done to rescue Blake if they HAD called at 2 AM. I think by then he was probably already in the freezing water. JMO.

If you own a smart phone the phone already tracks these types of things unless you disable the tracking. Especially if you have an I-phone: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-list-of-apps-and-youll-see-system-services-4

All that app probably does is transmit the data the smartphone is already collecting so a third party (your family members or whomever you allow) can see it. I'm not a very technically inclined person but I think the app COULD tell your souse where your phone was located and how long you spent there.

*Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with this specific life360 app-- I'm sure someone else who has used it can weigh in (ETA- Sorry, I just saw that Missunderstood answered the question better).

It doesn't sound to me like the parents were being overprotective. In one of the links on page 8 I believe; it m read to me like the family and him had a check in. Possibly becaise the parents are in Alabama and he is in middle Tennessee.

The way I read this is that, he always calls after work but, then after a while (later in the evening) the father tried to call, then he used the app to find he had made it back to the campus, and soon keft again. So, once dad was getting nervous, he tried checking his whereabouts.

Also, it states he had gone back to the dorm and texted his father his w2's to have his taxes filed.

Who would worry about filing your taxes, if you planned to commit suicide. It's not like the parents are going to be able to keep a refund, so why worry witj it. Also the thinhs they found seems hinky go me. I think someone is responsible. It's too weird even foe Websleuths!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It doesn't sound to me like the parents were being overprotective. In one of the links on page 8 I believe; it m read to me like the family and him had a check in. Possibly becaise the parents are in Alabama and he is in middle Tennessee.

The way I read this is that, he always calls after work but, then after a while (later in the evening) the father tried to call, then he used the app to find he had made it back to the campus, and soon keft again. So, once dad was getting nervous, he tried checking his whereabouts.

Also, it states he had gone back to the dorm and texted his father his w2's to have his taxes filed.

Who would worry about filing your taxes, if you planned to commit suicide. It's not like the parents are going to be able to keep a refund, so why worry witj it. Also the thinhs they found seems hinky go me. I think someone is responsible. It's too weird even foe Websleuths!

bbm People do all kinds of normal things when they plan self harm. Leanne Bearden had scheduled a job interview, for example. Cheryl DeBoer was on her way to work, carpooling with others, iirc. That's the tricky thing about suicide, everyone thought the person was acting totally normal and seemed fine.

There are two places called Georges Creek. One is up next to where the bridge connects across the water source. That may be where some confusion is coming in. I think he was found at the "B" Georges Creek, bridge location. Just a hunch.

attachment.php

Does anyone happen to know anything about this creek? When I think of a creek, I think of rather shallow water depth and not too wide across. Would this be accurate for this particular creek?

An autopsy found Smith's preliminary cause of death was "hypothermia/drowning, and his death appears to be accidental," the Blount County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

BCSO spokeswoman Marian O'Briant did not immediately return calls seeking comment on how the death was deemed accidental.

Smith's aunt, Jill Brasher Williams, said in a phone conversation Tuesday afternoon that the family believes Smith's death was not an accident.

"There's false information going around. This was foul play," she said before referring further questions to Smith's mother, who declined to comment.
Crown College, which includes a Bible school and seminary and enrolls about 500 students, held prayer vigils Sunday and Monday for Smith. A memorial service will also be held at a later date, and many students are grieving, said Vice President of Administration Tim Tomlinson.

"His friends are deeply hurt, but they're trusting," Tomlinson said. "We're people of faith. We trust God and we believe he's with the Lord. There's faith that's very strong in the middle of this, but there's also hurt. He was deeply loved."
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...-college-student-confirm-his-death/312100002/

This was no accident lol. It literally made me lol when I read that. And just because he drowned doesn't mean he put himself in the water!

Smh. Sounds like this Sheriff's Department needs some more training in investigations.

Did you watch the video? His dad said he did not call him at 2 AM because he reasoned that Blake may be staying overnight with a friend who commutes to college and he tried not to worry until the morning when he tried to text and call his son and did not hear back. This seems like a very reasonable response to the situation and in the end his dad was right that something was wrong. Several posters in this thread shared they used these types of apps not to track every movement or due to lack of trust but more as a safety precaution so they know their family members are ok. I posted a link to the app website several pages back and noted that users of the app can choose who sees their location and disable the location function. It was not as if they were tracking him without his knowledge. If he was doing something he didn't want his parents to know about he could have disabled the app or left the phone in his dorm. But he apparently did neither. His instagram is also private but his family can see it. So if he posted that photo, then he was intending to share with his family where he was located. JMO. Maybe he agreed to use the tracking app for safety because he did ministry work visiting criminals in the local jails? His dad also said he liked to hike and maybe it was his habit to visit parks alone. IDK. I don't really understand the use of these types of apps but every friend I have with college age kids worries about them when they go off to school and struggles with when to let them make their own decisions and when to "butt in". That doesn't really seem strange to me. Parents of adult college age kids have to walk a line of trusting and still checking on their kids for the sake of their own peace of mind. I don't think there is anything they could have done to rescue Blake if they HAD called at 2 AM. I think by then he was probably already in the freezing water. JMO.

I didn't think that there was anything that they could have done to help him. I just, at the age of 20, and a Junior in college, felt that it was a bit odd, and it didn't help the situation at all. His dad did say he felt it was unusual behaviour for B, but brushed it off. I thought it was odd that the Papini woman had it on hers (It didn't help there either). My cousins two kids have it on theirs but they're in 8th grade and H.S... I don't really see where the app is of much help. Toss the phone in someone else's car and send them on a wild goose chase. It just looks as if they felt they needed control over him for some reason. Maybe they wanted to make sure he followed school rules. I just can't get putting a tracking app on a man old enough to vote and join the military.

I've not seen that about the W2s, and I've heard conflicting stories about going back to the dorm. I must have gotten behind. I've never once inferred that this was a suicide though.

bbm People do all kinds of normal things when they plan self harm. Leanne Bearden had scheduled a job interview, for example. Cheryl DeBoer was on her way to work, carpooling with others, iirc. That's the tricky thing about suicide, everyone thought the person was acting totally normal and seemed fine.

My acquaintence's 14 y.o. daughter stopped in at her Mom's office, and said "Hello" after school, just like always, then went home, and when Mom got home, her child was deceased.

Does anyone happen to know anything about this creek? When I think of a creek, I think of rather shallow water depth and not too wide across. Would this be accurate for this particular creek?

I think that "Also Georges Creek" runs into the pool o water, and then continues out, under the bridge part, and emptying into the next pool. Most of these lake areas have brush and stuff around the edges, can be muddy up next to shorelines. Seems there would be some sort of foot prints leading to the edge if he walked down himself, stumbled, and fell in. The sudden shock of cold water would be what would be worst.

Just catching up. Rest In Peace, Blake. I think perhaps the sheriff is trying to be sensitive to the family’s beliefs by labeling this accidental. If LE has determined there was no foul play, the only other choice is to call it suicide, and that’s not something typically reported. The official wording in the case of a suicide is typically something like, “no foul play is suspected.”

Also, if the family is having a hard time accepting suicide, Blake probably knew that about his family, and therefore tried to stage it so they wouldn’t have to know.

I had guessed accidental on my post early on with no one else involved. I am starting to think my proposed scenario may have been more accurate than I originally thought.
As the family was very religious, I am happy (for lack of a better word) that it appears to have been accidental as opposed to something like suicide and that they were at least able to find some answers fairly quickly.

I know someone who put a GPS tracker on her kid's truck, not because she couldn't trust him, but because she was overprotective. The kid had never done anything to get in trouble.

There's another possibility as well. One of the parents could have severe anxiety, and this may have been the only way they could cope with him being at an out of state school.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member