GUILTY TN - C.T., 9, Rogersville, 4 May 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Nancy Grace on 5/9 her dad said my sister called me. The bus came and only her little sister got off the bus, who put her hands up and said I don't know where Carlie is at. My sister called the school and then me. I immediately left work and went to the school, no one was there so I called the cops.
NG where is Save A Lot? It's 2 minutes from the school.
NG asked the dad"-does Gary know how to camp, dad said yes he does, he hasn't in years but yes he knows how to camp.
NG asked does Gary have any children? Yes he has a son who is paralyzed and needs 24 hour care.
NG Trent what is your message to Gary? Bring her home Drop her off at a safe place. Go where you want to go but bring her back. Don't destroy her life, anymore then you have already destroyed it.

Hey everyone,

I just finished reading this thread beginning to end and have a few thoughts.

These are clearly the actions of a person who is unwell, regardless of how GS may be excusing/rationalizing it in his own head. What he's done--no matter the reason--is a crime and she is in danger regardless of the backstory.

That said, I truly do think two explanations stand out as most plausible:

OPTION ONE: He has mental illness and/or impulses that have worsened over time, either as his state of mind deteriorated or as the little girl matured. He intends to hide away in a remote area with the girl for some period of time. While he doesn't have a criminal record and we don't know of him buying any weapons or blatantly obvious items (ropes etc.) that might be used as restraints, based on what we know of other public abductions (as well as the warnings from police and his wife that she may be in danger), he may intend to imprison and assault her.

OPTION TWO: Due to his own limitations (such as mental illness or inadequate education), he may have come to believe there is no legal or public path to achieving the outcome he deems to be "the right thing." That outcome he's desiring could be a number of things: that the girl live with him and view him as father, that the girl be protected from parents he sees as neglectful, etc. This could also be the actions of someone who believes THEY did all the work to raise a child, but have now been supplanted by (and are jealous of) the birth father. Even if option two proves true, his choices are inexcusable.

A few other random thoughts in relationship to others' previous posts:

- Some have questioned how much money he might have based on two reports (it's been called both a limited amount and a significant amount, which of course is relative). If those photos of him looking into the camera do turn out to be from an ATM, most ATMS limit a person to withdrawing around $1,000 in a business day.

- Based on my observations as a parent with a similar-aged child, I do NOT think the girl in the video is unusually distressed. Bored or antsy, maybe a little befuddled, sure. But for a child to be lagging behind or have their fingers in their mouth in that sort of scenario: that's like 99% of my shopping experiences with my kids. I also think its possible that he told the school and Carlie two DIFFERENT stories. He may have told the school that Carlie's father had been an accident when he arrived, for example, but NEVER relayed that excuse to Carlie. (After all, the school would not expect him to have that very private and traumatic conversation with her in the pick up area, so it's possible he acted normally once they were in the car. Remember, he'd been asked to pick her up and take her to appointments in the past.)

- I think we should remember that she has had different custody arrangements throughout her life. Unlike my kids who would find it VERY unusual if someone took custody of them and offered a strange explanation, this EXACT scenario may have happened to her in the past where GS or his wife may have suddenly arrived and explained that her father was in jail etc.

-In addition, she may have even gone hunting, fishing, or camping alone with him in the past (as his wife may have stayed home with their disabled son), so it may have taken her a long time to begin to ask questions. And depending on how convincing his stories are, or how many times she's been pulled out of school abruptly or told her custody is changing in the past, it may have some sense of normalcy to her.

- I agree with many posters who have said he's likely to still be in his hometown area, and I would add the most likely second location would be wherever he was raised (someone mentioned War in a previous post). There are several reasons that lead me to believe this: His personality is a homebody, he's lived in the general region his whole life and probably knows many remote locations, and growing up in a rural area probably led to him acquiring some skill as an outdoorsmen. Secondly, traveling farther and in unfamiliar areas (where there would be cameras, tolls, more cars to observe him etc.) would increase his risk of being seen, and there have been no credible sightings yet. Also, WHEN HE DISAPPEARED PREVIOUSLY, THE LONGEST HE WAS GONE WAS 10 HOURS. If it turns out that he was indeed prepping a shelter of some kind, that distance suggests a 4-5 hour radius max as he would have to drive there, prep, and get back within 10 hours.

-I would also add that someone who is outdoorsy might just think two pairs of pants is enough as they could wear them a few days and rinse them off at a water source to be hung to dry.

-It also occurred to me that he might've packed many more supplies, clothing etc. in the back of the van, but stopped only to buy a few items for Carlie in order to both win her favor and also to make it appear they were just going on a simple day or overnight trip.

I think they are staying in the van rather than having a hide out already set up before he took off. Reason being that he waited until the last minute to stock up on things he could've bought and stashed at a hide out earlier. I don't think he had a place to hide it or he would've and he couldn't just leave it in the van or someone would've noticed it. JMO

Just me, but I think Gary is close by their property. Like a 7 mile radius. Somewhere that would be accessible to a low riding van. I wish a proper search would be done.
He might even tell Carlie she is being hidden due to someone being in trouble and the state is going to take her. Call out to her with loudspeakers!

said they have specific and credible information that she is in danger of harm or death

I have feared this ever since the earlier statement "may be in Imminent danger". Please let her be found alive!!!!!

In light of my previous comment and the thoughts of many others, I do think it makes a ton of sense to identify all heavily wooded areas with sources of water (lakes, ponds, creeks) within a 4-5 hour radius. I am sure that would create an enormous search area given the rural area, but its a start. Maybe his wife or siblings, cousins, or friends--if there are any--could at least tell investigators where he or his childhood family camped, fished, hunted, or stayed in the past. Getting search teams on the ground in those areas could save a life.

Just me, but I think Gary is close by their property. Like a 7 mile radius. Somewhere that would be accessible to a low riding van. I wish a proper search would be done.
He might even tell Carlie she is being hidden due to someone being in trouble and the state is going to take her. Call out to her with loudspeakers!

Without a paved road there are not too many places any low riding vehicle could go in that area without being damaged. So it would have to be off a paved road.

We have specific, we have credible information that Carlie Grent is in IMMINENT DANGER of serious bodily harm or death

DeVine was super serious and emphatic when he said this. Enunciating every syllable.

said they have specific and credible information that she is in danger of harm or death

Soooo a week later and they NOW have specific credible information that Carlie is in imminent danger of bodily harm or death? What has changed? I mean, of course she's in danger(!!!) but why suddenly new information? Computer forensics?

I'm sure LE is searching more than we are aware of. I also know of local groups where I live that are coordinating searches around the area she is from.

Link to downstairs, please? I keep getting spam with the old one.

That is so not the presser information I was hoping to hear. :(

I'm hopeful that the TBI's dedication to this case is going to bring Carlie home safe.

We know he set this up in advance. I really hope that he leaked some info to someone. Maybe when he secured the location or ordered some supplies, someone is now looking back and realizing he is the missing kidnapper?

I haven't read since the beginning, and rarely get on here, but how do we know he set this up in advance? Did I miss something, or are you assuming this to be the case? Are there reports of him stockpiling? I was actually assuming otherwise. He took her to the grocery store, right near where he picked her up, which was risky. I would think he would have purchased these items before getting her, lending me to believe he sort of made an impulsive decision. However, the bathing suit tells me that he knew where he was going to go with her, so I kinda go back/forth.

There have been questions about how much $ he had. I don't think this has been pointed out - he didn't work (as far as I know), but he was caregiver to his disabled son. Parents can be paid as support staff/caregivers through the county/state, so that could b from where he gets income. Additionally, I would assume the son receives SSI benefits. He could have been skimming off of that w/o anyone knowing, especially if he handles his son's finances. He could have more $ than anyone realizes.

It appeared to me that he used a debit card to make his purchases. It looked to me like he entered a PIN. There was some discussion about him using a gift card (no PIN for that) or food stamps cards (do you need a PIN for that)? His son would not qualify for food stamps, living at home, unless the entire family was low-income. Not sure if they are or not.

Has LE explained why they think she's in danger (aside from obvious assumptions)? This could also be put out as a plea for help. I think if he was really trying to protect her, he would've also taken the sister, but ya never know. I'm just saying that it certainly gets the public' attention and wanting to find a missing child, if we think she's at harm. If however, we think her daddy is abusing her (not that I think that), it may more likely keep people from wanting her to be found. I'm not sure why LE wouldn't be a little more specific.

There have been reports that his wife also think she's at harm. Why? If she felt that way, she wouldn't likely have left the girls around him. He wouldn't likely be providing care for their adult son. So.....it seems to me that something just happened (or that she became aware of). I wonder what that could be and why it hasn't been reported. ETA: I think this is the "specific and credible" information spoken of - something the wife discovered. Could be Internet searches too.

Soooo a week later and they NOW have specific credible information that Carlie is in imminent danger of bodily harm or death? What has changed? I mean, of course she's in danger(!!!) but why suddenly new information? Computer forensics?

They've said from almost the beginning that she could be in imminent danger. What has changed is he is dispelling rumors that Gary took Carlie to protect her IMO.

What has changed, IMO, is his urges became uncontrollable and now he has to act on them.

I am NOT putting any thing on his wife. She is a victim! His wife'may have enabled' him by-believing his sincerity.It sounds so trivial but she thought they shared a nurturing interest in her nieces well being.That was part of his charade pretending a faux fatherly demeanor cloaking his obsession.

It's obvious he was partial to her and probably justified showering her with small gifts as simply tokens of affection. i.e. polish,lip gloss.

He did not want to get caught in his lie so he feigned a healthy interest all the while secretly objectifying her. The long term goal was cultivating her affection and trust until he could abduct her and act out on his fantasies.

She must be found immediately.Children can heal from terrible betrayals & abuse by a trusted person if professional intervention is sought & followed.

I am very hopeful that he has not lost all touch with reality and that she can manipulate him into returning her. I think she is smart and perhaps can convience him that she just wants to return home to check on her sister. In other words play with the notion if he cared about her -he would do it to please her.

:cow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member