GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another article about today.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=121458&catid=2

I found this little statement at the end very interesting!

"The prosecutors say the investigation is ongoing. They did not address suspect Eric Boyd specifically. He was convicted in federal court for the carjacking but not tried in connection with the rapes and murders."

They may not have addressed Boyd directly, but there's no other reason for the investigation to still be ongoing! This gives me even more hope!

Of why people like the members of WS should NEVER try to get out of jury duty.

Every time I am called I go down there. Granted, the defense attorneys never like me and I've never been on a jury, but I think if I had to face a jury I'd prefer one with people like me on it.

Amen! Couldn't agree with you more!

If the judge stacks the sentences, it may be around 25 years. However, Tennessee procedure is not to stack sentences when the defendant does not have a long record or is young. A 15 year sentence for facilitiation usually results in parole after a third of the sentence. The same for a 25 year sentence.

Coleman has already been in jail for 3 years and I believe this will count against whatever the sentence turns out to be. She may serve around 8 years or less and be free well before her 30th birthday.

David From TN

Although she is young, she is extremely evil. I hope they give her the max regardless of her age. Channon and Chris were very young too!

I wonder what she will have to say if anything at her sentencing hearing. After sitting back and really thinking about it (not that I like it) I don't think the jury had a choice but to sentence her the way they did.....don't jump me because I don't like it either, but you do have to go by the law and that was the way it was explained to them. Maybe we just need to change the law.

See this is what I don't understand. If you are with someone and they rob a bank...your just as guilty. If that person robs someone then kills them...you are just as guilty. Just for being with them. So I can not figure out how VC could be in that house knowing they were going to rob a bank and they bring two white people in the house blindfolded. (I believe Chris was brought in that house because Cobbins said he was). She was there in that house the whole time and watched and or heard Channon being tortured and saw her being killed. Yet she isn't guilty. I think the jury didn't want to find her guilty because she is young and has a sweet voice. I don't think they cared about Chris or Channon. I have not watched or read any trials except this one. There was plenty of evidence. This jury just did not want to see it! As far as the police not knowing she was involved for days, weeks. what does that have to do with anything? There are cold cases that are solved after years and years, does that make them less guilty? VC lied to the police. They took her at her word until things started not adding up. I believe this jury had made up their mind before the trial ever began.JMO

If the judge stacks the sentences, it may be around 25 years. However, Tennessee procedure is not to stack sentences when the defendant does not have a long record or is young. A 15 year sentence for facilitiation usually results in parole after a third of the sentence. The same for a 25 year sentence.

Coleman has already been in jail for 3 years and I believe this will count against whatever the sentence turns out to be. She may serve around 8 years or less and be free well before her 30th birthday.

David From TN

This is probably a vain hope but what if she gets into lots of trouble in prison and is not a model prisoner and so forth, jail time can then be extended perhaps? After this pathetic decision by the jury it is all I can hope for now, unless the judge is able to give her as much time as possible - which is my last hope. He has sat through all the trials so surely he will give her the maximum possible, irrespective of usual practices, as this is not your normal case.

As the words “not guilty” reverberated against the walls of a Knox County courtroom Thursday, the faces of those gathered told the tale behind the otherwise silent reaction.
Slaying victim Christopher Newsom’s loved ones looked on with shocked grief; Channon Christian’s family with disgust; and suspect Vanessa Coleman’s parents with bittersweet disappointment.
The judge looked exhausted; the jurors stoic. Prosecutors appeared subdued; the defense team relieved.

More at link:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/may/14/coleman-acquitted-first-degree-murder/

Very good video with comments from Price and TK, as well as the Christians and Newsoms.

http://media.scrippsnewspapers.com/...acquits-vanessa-colemand-of-first-degree-murd

Bruce Poston, the most high-profile defense attorney in Knoxville, did some commentary for a Knoxville TV station. Poston, you might recall, was Eric McLean's attorney. Poston said the key to the verdict was Daphne Sutton.

David From TN

From WLTV (http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/93676954.html), Bruce Poston said, "It's shocking but yet you can justify those verdicts."

Poston, himself a defense lawyer, believes the verdict is tied to controversial state witness Daphne Sutton not facing charges.

"Giving the makeup of the jury and questions, I think it played a good role," he said.

David From TN

I'm not an attorney, but I don't see how the verdict is justified. Comparing Daphne Sutton and Vanessa Coleman, in my eyes, is like comparing apples and oranges. Daphne didn't see Chris and Channon brought into that house, she didn't know that there was a plan to carjack, she was there for minutes with Channon out of her view. Vanessa was there the entire weekend, knew of the planned carjacking, saw Chris and Channon brought into the house...well, we all know the differences.

I'd like for that jury to do an interview.

I'm not an attorney, but I don't see how the verdict is justified. Comparing Daphne Sutton and Vanessa Coleman, in my eyes, is like comparing apples and oranges. Daphne didn't see Chris and Channon brought into that house, she didn't know that there was a plan to carjack, she was there for minutes with Channon out of her view. Vanessa was there the entire weekend, knew of the planned carjacking, saw Chris and Channon brought into the house...well, we all know the differences.

I'd like for that jury to do an interview.

The jurors used Daphne Sutton as an excuse. As I wrote yesterday before the verdict, a former prosecutor told me that if a jury does not want to convict, they will not convict. The evidence will not matter.

The majority of the jury wanted to acquitt on both murders. They compromised with the others by convicting on the lesser charge of facilitation regarding Channon. Then they boarded the bus and went back to Nashville.

David From TN

CBS/AP Crimesider section covering it, but they got some facts wrong.

Christian/Newsom Murders: Vanessa Coleman "Not Guilty" on Most Serious Charges

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (CBS/AP) After a day and a half of deliberation, the jury acquitted Vanessa Coleman of all murder charges in the torture slayings of a young Knoxville couple. Although she was not found guilty on the most serious charges and won't face a life sentence or the death penalty, Coleman was convicted of facilitating crimes against one of the victims.

As Criminal Court Judge Richard Baumgartner read the counts, the jury found Coleman "not guilty" on the first fourteen, stating "guilty" only on 17 counts that tied Coleman to the murder, rape, and robbery of 23-year-old Channon Christian.

The conviction of Coleman ends a string of trials that have been underway since Christian and her 23-year-old boyfriend Christopher Newsom were found murdered, raped, and robbed in January 2007.

Full story here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20005003-504083.html
I hope they're wrong about the teal part. :cool:

WATE and Knoxnews both have polls up.

WATE's (requires registration to vote):

Do you agree with the jury's verdict in the Vanessa Coleman trial?
http://wate.net/news/6-listens/do-you-agree-with-jurys-verdict-vanessa-coleman-trial

Knox' poll is open to all:

Poll: Were the Vanessa Coleman verdicts just?

The defendant was left smiling; the families of the slain felt let down.
[...]

Facilitation of Christian’s slaying comes with a possible penalty range of 15 to 25 years. The lesser crimes carry penalty ranges of eight to 12 years.

Judge Richard Baumgartner will decide the sentences and whether those should be served concurrently. He has set a July 30 sentencing hearing.

Do you believe the verdicts were just? Read reporter Jamie Satterfield's article and watch the related videos about the verdict and then take our poll.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/may/14/poll-was-vanessa-coleman-verdict-just/

Has anybody sent the Christian family any cards? I think I found out where they live But I'm not sure.

I'd like to send them a card.

I just typed in Gary Christian Tennessee on Google and the address came up.

The jurors used Daphne Sutton as an excuse. As I wrote yesterday before the verdict, a former prosecutor told me that if a jury does not want to convict, they will not convict. The evidence will not matter.

The majority of the jury wanted to acquitt on both murders. They compromised with the others by convicting on the lesser charge of facilitation regarding Channon. Then they boarded the bus and went back to Nashville.

David From TN

I believe someone on this jury knew more about this case than they were suppose too. I believe they came into this trial with preconceived ideas and how they were going to vote. VC 's trial is the only one I watched or read about and I didn't see Daphne like this jury did. I read some comments after a article and someone said Sutton was just as guilty as Coleman....she visited the house and she had some of Channon's things. Some people on that jury must have felt the same way. If so, they disregarded the fact that VC was in the middle of this the whole time. They disregarded that she had a adventure in the big TN. I also read where someone thought if Chris being a male couldn't get away why would anyone think VC could get away? Again, if the jury felt this way too, they disregarded the fact that VC was their friend and in the middle of this with them. The fact that VC sat there and laughed while the verdicts were read (I could understand her looking relieved but not laughing and smiling), shows the absolute lack of remorse for anything she did or didn't do. I hope the judge takes that into account when he sentences her.

My wish is that the judge uses his power to sentence to the maximum afforded by law on each charge and that if there is even a parole hearing in the distant future, the tapes of this girl laughing and smiling in court will be played at every hearing by the prosecution as a reminder at how lightly she took the whole trial and the events that led to the deaths of two young people in a most gruesome manner.

I think Coleman laughing is just another way of showing her guilt. I mean if she really was held against her will (Which we all know not true) and made to stay in that house while Chris and Channon were there she would be upset at this out come. At first I seen it as a relief, she was laughing as a relief then I noticed she kept it up and you could tell she was watching out the corner of her eyes as Gary was watching her, that's when it seemed she put on a bigger show by patting her lawyers on the back. I would have liked to kick her butt for that one, it just made me sick.

And now these poor families have to wait at least another two months for the sentencing...it does not seem fair. Justice is never in favor of the victims, the survivors just keep on getting punished by the system.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a week or more. Lots of personal issues going on. I've got a bit of reading to catch up on and will then post my thoughts.

Again thanks to you all for covering the trial. :)

OMG I am just sick to my stomache. :( I feel so sorry for Chris & Channon's families. I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

As for VC, I hope she gets the max available and never gets parole. I also am a firm believer in you reap what you sow.....in time she will get hers. Although that is no help to the victims families.

Thanks to you all for covering the trials so well :)

I think Coleman laughing is just another way of showing her guilt. I mean if she really was held against her will (Which we all know not true) and made to stay in that house while Chris and Channon were there she would be upset at this out come. At first I seen it as a relief, she was laughing as a relief then I noticed she kept it up and you could tell she was watching out the corner of her eyes as Gary was watching her, that's when it seemed she put on a bigger show by patting her lawyers on the back. I would have liked to kick her butt for that one, it just made me sick.

Someone should ask Coleman (or her lawyers and parents) if she was held against her will by this gang of killers, why wasn't she beaten up at the very least?

David From TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member