GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this will help us foresee how the judge will sentence Coleman. This is from Cobbins sentencing hearing when he got an extra 100 years.

"In the end, Judge Richard Baumgartner decided to merge several of the kidnapping, rape and robbery counts.

He then said Cobbins should receive the maximum sentence for those crimes.

"To think that people could do that to other people just...it's not understandable, it's not human," Judge Baumgartner said. "If there's ever been exceptional cruelty, what was done to Ms. Christian is exceptional cruelty. What was done to Mr. Newsom was exceptional cruelty."

The judge tacked on additional 100 years to run consecutive to Cobbins' life term, essentially ensuring the convicted killer would remain behind bars for years to come even if the murder conviction is someday overturned."

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=114120

I guess the jury likes fun adventures in TN.

praying now for consecutive sentences rather than concurrent sentences.

Maybe this will help us foresee how the judge will sentence Coleman. This is from Cobbins sentencing hearing when he got an extra 100 years.

"In the end, Judge Richard Baumgartner decided to merge several of the kidnapping, rape and robbery counts.

He then said Cobbins should receive the maximum sentence for those crimes.

"To think that people could do that to other people just...it's not understandable, it's not human," Judge Baumgartner said. "If there's ever been exceptional cruelty, what was done to Ms. Christian is exceptional cruelty. What was done to Mr. Newsom was exceptional cruelty."

The judge tacked on additional 100 years to run consecutive to Cobbins' life term, essentially ensuring the convicted killer would remain behind bars for years to come even if the murder conviction is someday overturned."

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=114120

this gives me hope that he will do the right thing and give her the max!!

the state should be aloud to appeal due to an ineffective jury.

I think that Coleman's laugh was a smirky laugh because she thinks that she pulled something over on the jury. In fact, she did.

She's facing anywhere from 15 years to life depending on if the judge stacks the charges.

Well I am hoping that the judge does the right thing and stacks them! I know he had to have seen her smiling and practically jumping for joy.

Well, my predictions turned out to be true, I am sorry to say. They were based on seeing the jury in person for 3 days last week.

I believe the not guilty group was intransigent and the others, assuming there were some, submitted to them. They refused to even vote guilty on Channon's murder. If it was a compromise verdict, it was weighted to one side.

I also wrote this morning that if jurors don't want to convict, they will not convict. Simple as that.

In the sentencing hearings for Cobbins and Thomas, the judge stacked the charges. He may (and may not) do so with Coleman. She is going to walk out of prison some day, quite likely still a young woman.

David from TN

Thank you all for being here. I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack or something so I'm promising myself not to look at websleuths for the rest of the day.

Update: Death penalty off the table for Vanessa Coleman

-snip-
The rundown: What the jury found

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Hugh Christopher Newsom during the perpetration of kidnapping of Hugh Christopher Newsom. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Five.

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Hugh Christopher Newsom during the perpetration of kidnapping of Channon Christian. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Six.

•Guilty: Facilitation of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian during the perpetration of kidnapping of Hugh Christopher Newsom. Not guilty of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian, the basis for Count Seven.

•Guilty: Facilitation of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian, during the perpetration of kidnapping of Channon Christian. Not guilty of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian, the basis for Count Eight.

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Hugh Christopher Newsom during the perpetration of rape of Hugh Christopher Newsom. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Nine.

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Hugh Christopher Newsom during the perpetration of rape by oral penetration of Channon Christian. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Ten.

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Channon Christian, during the perpetration of rape of Hugh Christopher Newsom. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Eleven.

•Guilty: Facilitation of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian, during the perpetration of rape by oral penetration of Channon Christian. Not guilty of first degree felony murder, the basis for Count Twelve.

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Hugh Christopher Newsom during the perpetration of theft of Hugh Christopher Newsom. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Thirteen.

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Hugh Christopher Newsom, during the perpetration of theft of Channon Christian. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Fourteen.

•Not guilty: First degree felony murder of Channon Christian, during the perpetration of theft of Hugh Christopher Newsom. Not guilty of any lesser included charges in Count Fifteen.

•Guilty: Facilitation of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian, during the perpetration of theft of Channon Christian. Not guilty of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian, the basis of Count Sixteen.

•Guilty: Facilitation of premeditated first degree murder of Channon Christian. Not guilty of premeditated first degree murder of Channon Christian, the basis of Count Eighteen.

•Not guilty: Especially aggravated robbery of Hugh Christopher Newsom. Not guilty of any lesser included charges of Count Nineteen.

•Not guilty: Especially aggravated kidnapping of Hugh Christopher Newsom, accomplished with a deadly weapon. Not guilty of any lesser included charges of Count Twenty-one.

•Not guilty: Especially aggravated kidnapping of Hugh Christopher Newsom, with serious bodily injury. Not guilty of any lesser included charges of Count Twenty-two.

•Guilty: Facilitation of especially aggravated kidnapping of Channon Christian accomplished with a deadly weapon. Not guilty of especially aggravated kidnapping of Channon Christian, accomplished with a deadly weapon, the basis of Count Twenty-three.

•Guilty: Facilitation of especially aggravated kidnapping of Channon Christian accomplished with serious bodily injury. Not guilty of especially aggravated kidnapping of Channon Christian, with serious bodily injury, the basis of Count Twenty-four.

•Not guilty: Aggravated rape of Hugh Christopher Newsom, by coercive anal penetration while armed with a weapon. Not guilty of any lesser included charges on Count Twenty-six.

•Not guilty: Aggravated rape of Hugh Christopher Newsom, by anal penetration with bodily injury. Not guilty of any lesser included charges on Count Twenty-seven.

•Not guilty: Aggravated rape of Hugh Christopher Newsom, by coercive anal penetration while aided and abetted by one or more persons. Not guilty of any lesser included charges of Count Twenty-nine.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian, by coercive anal penetration while armed with a weapon. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive anal penetration while armed with a weapon, the basis of Count Thirty-three.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian, by coercive oral penetration while armed with a weapon. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive oral penetration while armed with a weapon, the basis of Count Thirty-four.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian, by coercive vaginal penetration while armed with a weapon. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive vaginal penetration while armed with a weapon, the basis of Count Thirty-five.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian, by anal penetration with bodily injury. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian, the basis of Count Thirty-six.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by oral penetration with bodily injury. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by oral penetration with bodily injury, the basis of Count Thirty-seven.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by vaginal penetration with bodily injury. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by vaginal penetration with bodily injury, the basis of Count Thirty-eight.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive anal penetration while aided and abetted by one or more persons. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive anal penetration while aided and abetted by one or more persons.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive oral penetration while aided and abetted by one or more persons. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive oral penetration while aided and abetted by one or more persons, the basis of Count Forty-three.

•Guilty: Facilitation of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive vaginal penetration while aided and abetted by one or more persons. Not guilty of aggravated rape of Channon Christian by coercive vaginal penetration while aided and abetted by one or more persons, the basis of Count Forty-four.

•Not guilty: Theft of property of Hugh Christopher Newsom, valued at $500 or less.

•Guilty: Facilitation of theft of property of Channon Christian, valued at $10,000 or more but less than $60,000. Not guilty of Theft of property of Channon Christian, valued at $10,000 or more but less than $60,000, the basis of Count Forty-six.

-snip-​

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=121458&catid=2

So, according to the media, she could get as little as 15 years for her participation in this horrific case. Same as Hope Sykes for selling/buying drugs! Mind boggling.

In this Country any crime involving drugs or animals will receive a harsher sentence than the lose of life. Women and children matter little in this Country.

I am sickened by the jury's verdict. What were they thinking????

I am going to go for a walk before I throw something.

I seriously can not see how that jury didn't find her guilty on all charges.

Well, my predictions turned out to be true, I am sorry to say. They were based on seeing the jury in person for 3 days last week.

I believe the not guilty group was intransigent and the others, assuming there were some, submitted to them. They refused to even vote guilty on Channon's murder. If it was a compromise verdict, it was weighted to one side.

I also wrote this morning that if jurors don't want to convict, they will not convict. Simple as that.

In the sentencing hearings for Cobbins and Thomas, the judge stacked the charges. He may (and may not) do so with Coleman. She is going to walk out of prison some day, quite likely still a young woman.

David from TN

And God help this Country then. She was so mean and had such evil in her at 18. Just imagine how much worse she will be after being locked up for years. She isn't even one bit remorseful. I am hoping the good lord intervenes and she is never allowed out of prison. One way or the other, it doesn't matter to me. I hope the jury realizes that they were played. I also hope they realize she could be their neighbor one day.

Ireally hope she gets the maximum sentence. She should never be out and allowed to produce children.

HOW is facilitating a murder not the same as the murder itself?

If the person KNOWS that a murder is taking place, facilitating is ALLOWING it to happen. She HAS to get life or something close to it. Praying for the judge to stack like firewood.

So if I drive someone to a murder, and I knew it was happening/going to happen... would I be not guilty of the murder? I am disgusted beyond comprehension.

Apparently not, if you can get a jury like this one.

Better stop posting now... because the curse words would probably fall like a hard rainstorm :furious: .

So, no one has ever been held accountable for the rape of Chris Newsom. And no one would ever explain how those horrific injuries occured to Channon. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove