GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Madisen Keavy‏Verified account @madisenkeavy 2h2 hours ago
Judge McGee says there's another matter that needs to be resolved. #BoydTrial #WATE

The matter is in relation to Adrienne Mathis. That's Boyd's cousin. #BoydTrial #WATE

Mathis said "I don't recall" over and over when asked if she loaned her car to Boyd the first weekend in January. #BoydTrial #WATE

State just the read the report and when asked if she said that, she responded "I do not recall" #BoydTrial #WATE

State wants to introduce the prior testimony to make them part of the record. #BoydTrial #WATE

Picking up there -- the defense objected to that. #BoydTrial #WATE

Cole Sullivan‏Verified account @cole_sull 2h2 hours ago
We're discussing Adrienne Mathis' (Boyd's cousin) testimony (or lack thereof). Her prior testimony needs to be admitted into evidence. State wants it to be. #boydtrial

Legal expert told me without this previous testimony to be submitted, state doesn't have case corroborating anything from Thomas. #boydtrial

This is CRITICAL. State needs previous testimony to be admitted since Mathis claims to no longer remember anything. State is making their arguement to get that submitted now. #boydtrial

State says this consists of "inconsistent statements" and thus the previous statements should be admitted. State wants Mathis' federal testimony from 2008 to be admitted. #boydtrial

The state is arguing that Mathis' prior testimony about the loaned car and the sandwich bag full of bullets .#BoydTrial #WATE

State says it qualifies as proof. #BoydTrial #WATE

She gave the testimony during Boyd's federal trial. #BoydTrial #WATE

She was under oath on those previous statements. #BoydTrial #WATE

Mathis has testified multiple times in state court, and once in federal court -- during Boyd's first trial. #BoydTrial #WATE

"Were you in your car, did you have control of your car, or did somebody else borrow it?" Is part of testimony they're hoping to introduce. #BoydTrial #WATE

State and defense are discussing whether or not Mathis' testimony should be allowed, that came from previous trials. #BoydTrial #WATE

Defense is concerned about the trustworthiness of the testimony. #BoydTrial #WATE

State says they can redact everything out of her transcript, only submit the parts they've been referencing relating to whether the car was loaned or if there were bullets found in a sandwich bag.
State will retintroduce the statement on Monday. #BoydTrial #WATE

Without Mathis', state doesn't have the white Pontiac in Boyd's possession. Without that...only evidence trying him to Chipman St. is Thomas' testimony and *maybe* Jenkins *thinking* he saw 4 black men in Channon's car. And thinking he saw the white car on Chipman #boydtrial

This legal nuance could be make it or break it for the state. #boydtrial

Judge McGee has requested a special assistant for this case, she usually helps with death penalty cases across the state of Tennessee. She assisting him with this matter. #boydtrial

Judge says state court transcripts are off table in terms of being admitted into evidence.
Judge says federal court the state can bring in. Fraizer says whoa can I make my argument. Judge allows him to do so. #boydtrial

Could Mathis' claim she doesn't remember what happened sink everything? Judge will now decide. #boydtrial

Gary Christian is leaning far forward to hear this.
Judge rules in state's favor when it comes to federal court transcripts.
State proposes redacting everything not about the car.
t's in. #boydtrial

Counsel will remain to reach an agreement as to the instructions to put together. #WATE #BoydTrial Says to meet back at 9AM on Monday.

Prosecution won't rest until Monday until they can submit this transcript as evidence. Court adjourns until Monday. #boydtrial

Boyd trial, Day 4 | Medical examiner testimony wraps up state case, expected to rest on Monday

August 9, 2019

"KNOXVILLE, Tenn. —...Friday marked day four of his trial...

Judge Bob McGee dismissed the jury at about 3:23 p.m., but kept everyone else behind to discuss the Adrienne Mathis testimony. Prosecution is not expected to rest until Monday. The defense will also begin questioning their witnesses.

KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM TODAY..."

Boyd trial, Day 4 | Medical examiner testimony wraps up state case, expected to rest on Monday

Eric Boyd Trial Day 4 Witnesses Ricard Leal, Tim Gray, Jason Mynatt, Danielle Lightfoot, Taylor Shadix

Aug 9, 2019

---

Jesse Weber & Defense Attorney Ecleynne Mercy Discuss the Eric Boyd Trial 080919

---

Jesse Weber & Trial Attorney Byron Browne Discuss the Eric Boyd Trial 080919

Eric Boyd Trial Day 4 Witnesses: Linda Littlejohn, Lisa Greer, Kadietu Kamare & Jennifer Millsaps

Aug 9, 2019

---

Brian Buckmire Norman Williams & Latonia Hines Discuss the Eric Boyd Trial 080919

---

Brian Buckmire Judge Brandon Birmingham & Norman Williams Discuss ME Testimony in Eric Boyd Trial

Aug 9, 2019

Thanks for the posts @YESorNO. I'm listening from work and missing a lot so these are helpful.

Kind of O/T, my husband said I was talking in my sleep last night and was looking for Chris and Channon. I'm afraid he might ground me from websleuths. :eek:

tenor.gif

Hope you don't have bad dreams tonight because today's ME testimony was hard to listen to (and the tweets were bad too):

today-has-been-ruff-quote-1.jpg

I truly don't think he'll be convicted unless the jurors are just so shocked by the brutality of the crime that they decide he's guilty by association. The state entered absolutely nothing to implicate him but a statement from a guy that maybe 4 black men were in the 4 runner and the testimony of the convicted participant who states he didn't see or hear either of them being raped which is impossible. That alone may make them throw out everything he said. Even if the cousin's statement is read Monday morning about her loaning him the car and finding bullets in it when she got it back, it means absolutely nothing unless they have the bullets and can match them to the body and they don't.

I think he knew about it and may have even been there for some part of it but he sure didn't leave any evidence. The state will have to have one hell of a closing argument to tie everything together and to him to make me see how he can be convicted.

And did anyone else notice the 2 offices placed in front of Gary Christian there at the end. They hadn't been there before so I'm betting they were thinking he might make a lunge for Boyd.

I didn’t buy Thomas’ testimony one bit; his words and mannerisms reminded me of when my teenager is lying to me.

I think EB was with them all evening because if he wasn’t then the scenario plays out as if he was hanging out with them all, then he went off on a walk alone, and then hooked back up with the crew after the crime. That’s a pretty convenient time to take a walk, KWIM.

I did notice there was an officer sitting in front of Gary. The fact that these families have made in through so many trials without any violence is a victory in of itself. This case is so devastating and has destroyed their lives.

All JMO.

Michel Bryant, Joseph Scott Morgan & Judge Brandon Birmingham Discuss the Eric Boyd Trial 080919

Eric Boyd Trial Day 4 Witness: ME Dr. Darinka Mileusnic-Polchan

Aug 9, 2019

---

Eric Boyd Trial Day 4 Witness: Cross Examination of ME Dr. Darinka Mileusnic-Polchan

Aug 9, 2019

Why have none, not one of the defendants in this horrible crime, ever come clean and named the sources of the two unidentified semen samples taken from Channon's panties? There were at least two more rapists in addition to the four we know about. How many animals were really involved in this hideous crime? The five we know about are all withholding information and should be given no mercy for that alone. And that includes that pig vanessa. DNA test in Channon Christian's slaying raises new questions

Why have none, not one of the defendants in this horrible crime, ever come clean and named the sources of the two unidentified semen samples taken from Channon's panties? There were at least two more rapists in addition to the four we know about. How many animals were really involved in this hideous crime? The five we know about are all withholding information and should be given no mercy for that alone. And that includes that pig vanessa. DNA test in Channon Christian's slaying raises new questions

Exactly. When I really allow myself to think about this, I get paralyzed. Channon endured such horrendous, atrocious, evil acts. I can only imagine the terror she experienced. The 2 unidentified rapists must have lived around Chipman Street. I wonder if Davidson was "selling" Channon for money during the early morning and afternoon of January 7th. Someone brought that theory up awhile back on some website. We know she had at LEAST 4 Rapists- Cobbins, Davidson, and the unidentified two. Who knows if there were more and just no DNA was left. I'm surprised her parents have never spoken about that aspect of the crime but maybe their minds cannot even go there and try to process it.

I believe the tremendous blunt-force trauma Channon suffered in her anogenital region was a vicious, vicious attack by Vanessa Coleman. Could never be proven ofcourse. Her boyfriend Cobbins raped Channon orally and Vanessa got jealous (that is how sick these people are). Instead of saving Channon, she brutalized her too.

All 5 should have got the Death Penalty.

Cole Sullivan‏Verified account @cole_sull 10h10 hours ago
Good morning. We’re back in court today for what *could be the final day of arguments in the Eric Boyd case. Prosecution is likely to rest first thing and then we’ll have the defense proof. Follow along #boydtrial

Madisen Keavy‏Verified account @madisenkeavy 9h9 hours ago
DAY 5 of Testimony begins any minute. #BoydTrial

Cole Sullivan‏Verified account @cole_sull 9h9 hours ago
FYI: The lawyers spent about 25 minutes with the judge this morning going over jury charging instructions. #boydtrial

Mr. Boyd is now in court. He's wearing his dark color suit with a blue tie. His lawyer, Clint Frazier, is going through a box of files on the defense desk. #boydtrial

State plans to rest after introducing evidence, remember that's Andrienne Mathis' testimony from Boyd's federal trial. Mathis took the stand last week and said "I don't recall" on most answers. Judge calls her an unavailable witness, allows previous testimony. #BoydTrial #WATE

As the jury comes in, the prosecution says it plans to read Mathis’ federal testimony into the record and submit three more photos as evidence. Then the state will rest. #boydtrial

Jury is coming into the courtroom. #BoydTrial #WATE

State is moving Mathis' federal testimony in, now. #BoydTrial #WATE

The state is doing some role playing here. Asking its investigator to play the role Adrienne Mathis, Boyd's cousin. This way the jury will hear her testimony out loud. #boydtrial

It's a little surreal, but important because Mathis ties Boyd to the crime if he has her car. It's the white Pontiac used by the suspects to get to apartment complex where they carjacked Channon and Chris. #boydtrial

Investigator Childers is back on the stand, he'll be playing the role of Adrienne Mathis in this testimony. #BoydTrial #WATE

The state will rest after this testimony is entered. #BoydTrial #WATE

The state has rested its case. The jury will be asked to leave. First, Judge McGee is reading aloud instructions as to how the jury should handle Mathis' testimony. It's not the most clear, but legally important. #boydtrial

Judge Bob McGee is reading a statement to the jurors regarding Mathis' testimony, reminding them that Mathis' testimony last week is NOT what they should go by, because it hasn't been introduced as exhibit. #BoydTrial #WATE

Jurors have left courtroom. #BoydTrial #WATE

Frazier is moving to dismiss the case. He doesn't think the state has presented evidence in the case to back up the charges. #boydtrial

Defense says "we don't feel they have shown he is present..." #BoydTrial #WATE

Defense: "Your honor, there is no, absolutely no, evidence presented by the state that he participated..." -in regards to Boyd's role in the rapes. #BoydTrial #WATE

Defense: "The proof in this case, specifically as to Ms. Christian's time of death, is sometime between Sunday and Monday..." said there is no evidence that Boyd was present. #BoydTrial #WATE

Defense is asking for court to dismiss. #BoydTrial #WATE

The state is making its case to the judge that the crimes were committed against the victims. We haven't gotten to proof of whether Boyd was involved. #boydtrial

State: "All the testimony taken together establishes that there were 5 individuals present at Chipman Street that are responsible for the crimes against Ms. Christian and Mr. Newsom." #BoydTrial #WATE

"All the testimony taken together establishes that there were 5 individuals [...] responsible for the crimes" Fitzgerald says She mentions Jenkins' seeing the white car at the house. The same car lent to Eric Boyd. Plus Thomas' testimony. That's the state case. #boydtrial

Crucial moment from the judge right now. #boydtrial

State is walking the Judge through the proof the state has given that Boyd was present for these crimes. #BoydTrial #WATE

State: "If it were not for him, they would not have had a car to get to Washington Ridge Apartments." Referring to Boyd. #BoydTrial #WATE

Judge McGee rules "it is a fair inference that Boyd was a part of the entire matter and is responsible. Criminally responsible for everything that happened." #boydtrial

Boyd is about to speak. #boydtrial

Frazier is walking him through the decision whether he wanted to testify or not. This is a standard procedure. Boyd is answering, "yes sir" when asked if he understands he has the right to testify. #boydtrial

Defense is asking if Boyd wants to testify, this is procedure the defense always does, but Boyd has the right not to testify. The court cannot draw inferences from that choice. He also has the right to testify. #BoydTrial #WATE

Boyd and his attorney Clinton Frazier have discussed the advantages or disadvantages to testifying. #BoydTrial #WATE

Boyd says he will not testify in the case. #boydtrial

Boyd will NOT testify. #BoydTrial #WATE

The lawyers are now arguing. It's all a hypothetical. IF Boyd had decided to testify, this argument would matter. But he's not. So the judge is like my guys why are we fighting about this. #boydtrial

There will be no proof from the defense. Closing arguments will be begin NOW with the prosecution going first. We await the jury’s return to court. #boydtrial

Judge asks if state and defense are ready to do closing arguments. They're bringing the jury back. #BoydTrial #WATE

Jurors are coming back into the coutroom. #BoydTrial #WATE

DEFENSE RESTS. .#BoydTrial #WATE

The defense will NOT call any witnesses. #BoydTrial #WATE

Closing arguments START. Phillip Morton, Asst. DA for the state, is leading the closing arguments now. #BoydTrial #WATE

Morton is doing a minor legal class for the jury. Says they must start with the most serious crime first and then go on from there. #boydtrial

We're getting the definition of direct and circumstantial evidence. #boydtrial

State has slide going over what Xavier Jenkins saw: -activity at house -Channon's car -Pontiac Sunbird parked behind -4 black men in Channon's car. #boydtrial

State reminding Jurors of Xavier Jenkins' testimony, he saw activity at the Chipman St. house, including a car with 4 black males around the same time as these crimes. #BoydTrial #WATE

Adrienne Mathis' testimony about giving Boyd her white Sunbird the same weekend. #BoydTrial #WATE

Now slide from Mathis' testimony:
-Loaned defendant her Pontiac for weekend in question. "He is the fourth black male that is involved in the activities and crimes committed at 2316 Chipman St." #boydtrial

Thomas:
-Saw Boyd with Sunbird.
-Saw Boyd bring victims into house
-Saw Boyd take Chris to tracks
-Saw three flashes from gun
-Saw Boyd get gas can and heard whoosh. #boydtrial

Now on to circumstantial evidence.
-Boyd is only one of 5 ppl with car.
-None of 5 had money. -Guns recovered.
-Gas cans recovered.
-Condition of bodies
"Ladies and gentleman you have seen images you cannot unsee [...] You have to see the photos to understand the gravity"

-DNA evidence of rape
-Attempt to destroy evidence (bleach)
-Boyd's DNA on holster. #boydtrial

Thomas' testimony that he saw Boyd bringing Newsom inside the house blindfolded and bound. #BoydTrial #WATE

State reminding jurors of Thomas' testimony that he saw Boyd take Newsom to the railroad tracks where he saw "Three flashes" from a gun. #BoydTrial #WATE

State giving jurors the direct evidence v. circumstantial evidence. I.E. that Boyd is the only one who had access to a car. #BoydTrial #WATE

State: "You've seen them, you can't unsee them. You'll remember them for a long long time." On the graphic autopsy photos. #BoydTrial #WATE

Morton also talking about Boyd hiding Davidson after the crimes committed. #boydtrial

Boyd's fingerprints found on a holster in the Sunbird. #BoydTrial #WATE

The same car the state says was used to transport the co-defendants. #BoydTrial #WATE

State: Don't forget about Mr. Boyd's assistance to Mr. Davidson after these crimes. #BoydTrial #WATE

Morton now has slide up with definition of reasonable doubt. He reads aloud "absolute certainty of guilty is not required by the law" just beyond a reasonable doubt. #boydtrial

State onto reasonable doubt. #BoydTrial #WATE

Closing arguments are the opportunity for the state and defense to remind jurors of what they've heard and how it relates to each of these respective cases. It's the state's job to prove Boyd is guilty, aka burden of proof. #BoydTrial #WATE

State is using a metaphor of a jigsaw puzzle to explain this case, that instead of a "photo" on the front, there are pieces missing. "You start out with a bunch of pieces and start putting it together." #BoydTrial #WATE

Morton using metaphor of a jigsaw puzzle to say the jury can have missing pieces but still see enough of the whole picture to convict. #boydtrial

State: "We don't have video, we don't have all the answers to the questions of what happened in those 36 hours,...until we know Ms. Christian was found inside the garbage can. #BoydTrial #WATE

DA Charme Allen is in the courtroom. As is George Thomas' lawyer. The families of Chris and Channon are here as well, as they have been for every day of the case. #boydtrial

Morton: they come up with this plan to steal a car, but Mr. Boyd is the only one with transportation. "How are they going to get there? It's miles away?" Boyd's car is the answer. #boydtrial

Morton is walking through each charge in chronological order, laying out evidence the state has for each charge. We've been through carjacking, theft and robbery so far. #boydtrial

State is reviewing chronological order of the crimes. There are 36 counts to consider against Boyd, 9 for each Christian and Newom's murders. #BoydTrial #WATE

Now to kidnappings as the two are "marched into the inside of that house." "we know they were kidnapped because Chris Newsom's body was found bound and gagged." Channon's body was found in the trashcan. #boydtrial

State: The circumstantial evidence strongly suggests that he was in it from the git go." #BoydTrial #WATE Citing that Boyd provided the transporation to Washington Ridge Apartments.

State: "It didn't stop there..." When describing the plan to take the car, but also then, kidnapping Channon and Chris. #BoydTrial #WATE

Now details of the rapes. "Now the inevitable. The murders." #boydtrial

State: "They had no idea what was coming." when referring to Channon and Chris on the Jan. 2007 night. #BoydTrial #WATE

Remember, this is the chronological order of events -- not by the severity of the charges. State has taken jurors through the carjacking, the kidnapping, moving back to the Chipman St. house and how Thomas' testimony relates. #BoydTrial #WATE

State: You know where I'm going... when referring to the order of events and how the night in Jan. 2007 escalated to rape and murder, not just the carjacking. #BoydTrial #WATE

Going back over Thomas' testimony, a big part of the case. Perhaps the bigger part: responsibility. The state knows it can't tie Boyd to every crime in the count, but it alleges he was responsible. #boydtrial

State: "They could've chosen not to kill them" #BoydTrial #WATE

The concept of criminal responsibility. Morton says it comes back the concept of choosing your friends carefully, giving an example of when he got in trouble in high school of TPing someone's yard. #boydtrial

It's an example of criminal responsibility, even though a young Morton didn't throw any toilet paper, he still got in trouble because he drove the car to the house. #boydtrial

The criminal responsibility part is critical language, Morton says. "It is not necessary that you find the defendant present or the defendant took part in any of the crimes," Morton reads. #boydtrial

Now going through timeline of Chris and Channon's kidnapping, rapes and death. #boydtrial

Boyd is looking up at the projector screen as the legalese definitions appear. #boydtrial

"He had a choice" Morton says about Boyd. "He provided the transportation to his co-defendants to commit maybe he thought it was going to be a part of the carjacking. [...] but it's like dominoes." Once you start, you're responsible for the last one that falls. #boydtrial

"He set the wheels in motion, literally and figuratively for all of this to happen." #boydtrial

Now Boyd is looking directly at the jury. #boydtrial

"They could go this way or that way with their choices. They could go the legal way or the illegal way" Morton says. "They became a team of robbers at that moment" when the suspects decide to take the car. #boydtrial

"They chose not to drop them off, they chose to bind them, gag them, [...] take them to Chipman street." Now, Morton says, they're a team of kidnappers. #boydtrial

"It was there for just unimaginable reasons, they decided to brutalize these kids. They decide to rape these kids," Morton says. "Team of Rapists" is now displayed on screen. Morton is going over details of Chris' rape. #boydtrial

"This defendant shot him in the back of the head, this defendant set him on fire, this defendant drove that SUV back to Chipman Street. This defendant told Mr. Davidson 'it’s done'" Morton says, pointing to Boyd. #boydtrial

"Once you are a part of that team, unless for forfeit and withdraw from that team, you are responsible under the law for everything that team does." "But for..." Boyd and his car, Channon and Chris would not have suffered what they suffered, Morton says. #boydtrial

State says it's been 4,600 days since the crimes occurred. State is explaining why they couldn't use Mr. Thomas' initial statement against Mr. Boyd--why it took so long to bring the case. #boydtrial

4,595 days since George Thomas told Sheriff Hutchison that this defendant marched Chris Newsom into that house on 2316 Chipman St. -- state #BoydTrial #WATE

State: "That's why Mr. Thomas was here, to give you a couple more pieces of this puzzle." #BoydTrial #WATE

They couldn't use Thomas' initial statement until he gave permission to do so. Says that he answered questions openly. #BoydTrial #WATE

State acknowledges that Thomas' testimony didn't include every detail of the night, but it included what is needed for this case against Boyd. #BoydTrial #WATE

State is getting ahead of the defense by citing that Thomas is indeed a convicted murderer, but it shouldn't keep the jury from believing his testimony. #BoydTrial #WATE

"I'm not impressed with Mr. Thomas whatsoever, he's a convicted murderer." Morton says he knows Thomas is still holding back, but key elements were corroborated by other elements of the case. #boydtrial

Morton ends his closing arguments, I'll add, with a photo of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom on the screen in the courtroom. #BoydTrial #WATE

Photo of Channon and Chris on screen. Morton is done with his closing. Frazier begins. #boydtrial

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back