TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chistians being interviewed, saying this isn't over, and they were going to work for victims rights:
1zewn09.jpg

Mary's tears were tears of joy.

Hugh, was very nervous waiting for the jury to come back. He was talking to anyone who would talk to him. He was even talking to janitorial staff.

When i heard the tweets that some jurors were crying when they came in and one was praying, I knew it had to be a death sentence. Not easy for decent people to sentence someone to death, even an animal like Slim.

This Mr Hugh Newsom saying earlier that they would be setting the record straight about the incident the judge chastised them for on the first day when words passed between the family and Trant (defense atty), saying they were good, polite people...
4tmxvk.jpg

Just now, the reporter just read a note handed to her, said the incident in question was that one of the family members called Trant a jerk. I got the impression the note was from Trant himself or someone from the court disagreeing with Hugh, or heading off whatever he was going to later say as explanation.

I just love Hugh Newsom... not a vengeful bone in his body, such a patient, gentle soul yet strong, he and his lovely wife considering the impact even on the jury... wonder if he and Mary would adopt me as their daughter lol :blushing:

:parrot:

Now interviewing just Mary and Hugh Newsom, saying that the jury nailed it with their question: cut out all the psych mumbo jumbo - it all boils down to the fact that he knew right from wrong:
2qc4703.jpg

Hugh says, "when you examine the other children in LD's family, there were only the two bad apples."

:parrot:

Hugh nails it here again, saying that out of all 6 kids, only 2 turned out bad; the rest worked hard and made something of themselves. The two bad ones, Cobbins and GutterSlime, were filled with hate and bad choices.

I can tell you this. These jurors' lives will never be the same. This trial and what they have heard and seen and the fact that someone's life was balanced on their decisions will affect many decisions for the rest of their lives. Living through this is vey traumatic and some of them will have a very hard time getting through this. I have great respect for these jurors for doing the right thing.

I can tell you this. These jurors' lives will never be the same. This trial and what they have heard and seen and the fact that someone's life was balanced on their decisions will affect many decisions for the rest of their lives. Living through this is vey traumatic and some of them will have a very hard time getting through this. I have great respect for these jurors for doing the right thing.

Absolutely. They could have taken the easy road and given LWOP and moved on with their lives. But took on this additional burden on their souls because it was the right thing to do.

The Newsoms talking about their grandkids' memories of Chris, and saying they will continue with the baseball tournament and scholarship in his name...

Truly, wonderful people. What a cruel world that they should endure so much horror. :(

Their legal analyst speaking:

In next 6 months, LD will be sentenced for lesser counts.

Defense will look for grounds for appeal.

If they find any, Judge will rule on them - almost sure to deny, then they'll for sure appeal to higher court.

Legal analyst: Even if death penalty stays in Tennessee, and he expects it will, it will still be several years before it's carried out.

Buzzkill. :cool:

Not a lot of good issues for appeal here that I can see. So many rulings went in favor of the defense. I just cant see where there were any reversable errors.

:rose:Rest in Peace, Channon and Chris :rose:
14v0aww.jpg
nf5lrn.jpg

It will never be complete, but today was a big step.

The courts could just rule that the death penalty is unconstitutional and give all the death row inmates, life without parole. It takes so long to actually carry out the death penalty, this could easily happen. Certainly hope not.

Just wanted to say "Thank You!" to all the wonderful posters on this thread. I only recently started following this case and have been daily horrified as I learned more and more about it. I realized I have never really followed a criminal trial and, although I work in the legal profession, I have little knowledge of the criminal trial process. My eyes have surely been opened!

What I have seen of this trial and what I have heard of the previous one, I think our justice system has gone completely out of balance. I understand the great ideal in this country of protecting the innocent from the power of the majority and the awesome power of the state but IMO we have gone way too far in the other direction.

Government's first and most important role is generally recognized to be to protect the people. A legal system that endangers the public is not acceptable. The protections on display here were not those designed to protect someone wrongfully accused but rather to protect someone from the truth and the consequences of their actions which were so far outside the bounds of human behavior to be difficult to believe.

To bear witness to what these families have gone through is truly heartbreaking. That they have had to spend years, YEARS of their lives in courtrooms so that the accused could be treated fairly is itself an outrage. The procedural rules that demanded separate trials are an outrage. The ability of the defense to lie and suggest conclusions that are completed unsupported by any evidence is an outrage. To put brutalized, dead victims on trial while not being able to tell the simple TRUTH about the defendant is an outrage. I especially feel for the fathers here as they seem so devastated (not that the mothers aren't!) that they failed somehow to protect their children. Gary especially seems to have no moment of peace. You just want to do something to heal him but you can't. Honestly, there probably is no peace or healing after this happens to your children.

I am so relieved that this small justice has been done. It is not enough given what the victims endured and the years it will take for the sentence to be carried out. But it is something. Again, thanks to you all for bearing witness to this tragedy and travesty of justice. I wish this story were more widely known. I bet it would work wonders for the reform of our system.

Again, great thanks to all of you here who were so diligent in keeping the rest of us up to the minute informed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89