Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging Near University of Memphis #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been lurking on WS on and off for a few years, but it was the first place I came to after hearing the EF news. After catching up and feverishly refreshing the past 24 hours, I figured it was time to make an account and chime in.

As a woman, a runner currently in training, and just a regular person — this story hits hard. I’ve been out at 5 am with a light vest and watching every corner in order to hit my miles for the day. The fact we have to worry about shifting routes, keeping one headphone out, etc (anywhere we go) is just heartbreaking.

One final note: LE and local media will be out there today obviously, but it is a holiday. Don’t be surprised if there are different local reporters on the story and if they get facts crossed. Local newsrooms are disgustingly understaffed, and the senior most people got today off. Memphis is a decently sized tv market, but things happen.

God, this turned out longer than intended. Please correct any mistakes, I read so many articles and threads about this, facts get crossed.
SBM

Welcome to WS! I followed the same path you did during the Mollie Tibbetts case and then joined and never looked back. It's a great community.

No corrections needed - you hit it right on the head. It's a very sad and scary social commentary indeed when women have to take that many precautions when just going out for a run.

It's looking more and more to me that this guy stalked Eliza purposefully for sexual assault purposes and this will end up being a kidnap, SA, murder and dispose case. I pray I'm wrong but have seen too many of these to not think otherwise.

He is a career criminal who has gotten numerous second chances and has screwed away every one of them. Just an absolute waste that makes me SMH.

What does it mean to take someone into custody for questioning? Is that a step above “meeting with the police” like her family described doing in the press conference? Perhaps there is no implication I am just woefully unfamiliar with the nuance.
Usually it means that person is "detained" for a short time for questioning. Depending on the situation, that person may be ultimately released or arrested.
So yes, I think it is different than the initial interviews with family. Imo

I’ve been lurking on WS on and off for a few years, but it was the first place I came to after hearing the EF news. After catching up and feverishly refreshing the past 24 hours, I figured it was time to make an account and chime in.

As a woman, a runner currently in training, and just a regular person — this story hits hard. I’ve been out at 5 am with a light vest and watching every corner in order to hit my miles for the day. The fact we have to worry about shifting routes, keeping one headphone out, etc (anywhere we go) is just heartbreaking.

I went back to the timeline and saw she left home at 4, with the incident happening around 4:30. Didn’t see anywhere confirming she was training for a race, but sounds like she was running 5-7 min/mile if she’s 4-5 miles from home at that point. It sounds like she fought like hell, which somehow makes me even more solemn.

One thing that stood out to me in the affidavit is that a cyclist found her phone and then return it to EF’s family. The document didn’t mention sending anyone out to look for her ahead of time (husband definitely could’ve if he was expecting her home earlier and it just wasn’t mentioned in the filing). Maybe the cyclist knew EF, maybe even considered her a fitness friend/paced her for some training runs? I keep trying to piece together how this cyclist knew it was EF’s phone in the first place, I’m guessing she kept her cards in a wallet on the back of her phone, showing her ID? Or an emergency contact card tucked in between phone and phone case. Or she had a photo phone case and he put a face to the name.

Previously working in TV news for 5 years, I would guess Pine Hill was a staging area and that they might use it again today. However, they could move it closer to a more specific dumping ground if they think they’re getting somewhere. LE being relatively quiet usually means they think they’re close to a big break, whether it be finding EF or getting CA to crack. I would also assume they’re feeling internal pressure with the family’s community status and want to keep tight lips so something doesn’t fall through the cracks and puts anything in jeopardy.

I’d also love to log into the court records to dig into this Henderson confusion, but the link is buried in here somewhere and google doesn’t help. It just sounds like a family alias with the brother’s usage of it.

One final note: LE and local media will be out there today obviously, but it is a holiday. Don’t be surprised if there are different local reporters on the story and if they get facts crossed. Local newsrooms are disgustingly understaffed, and the senior most people got today off. Memphis is a decently sized tv market, but things happen.

God, this turned out longer than intended. Please correct any mistakes, I read so many articles and threads about this, facts get crossed.
Welcome to Websleuths, even though you’ve been around for a while! I lurked too for a number of months before jumping in. Great first post!

I know. Horrendous. I'm quite shocked he put her in the passenger seat at first, why not the back? Or does this info mean only passenger side into the back?

I wonder if he knocked the daylights out of her and propped her in the passenger seat? Then drove where more privacy to move her to the back?

Sadly reading these details, I think she put up quite a fight which maybe made him panic. Sounds like she was in the back at some point and tried kicking out the back lights? Ugh. I hope this creep gets what he deserves. BBM, and sorry it's NY Post!!

Tennessee authorities obtained surveillance footage of the kidnapping, which allegedly showed Abston running “aggressively toward the victim, and then force the victim Eliza Fletcher into the passenger’s side of the vehicle,” the documents said.

“During the abduction, there appeared to be a struggle,” according to the affidavit, which cited “noticeable damage to the back-passenger taillight area” of the GMC Terrain.

“Passenger side” does not mean “front passenger seat,” though.

One thing that stood out to me in the affidavit is that a cyclist found her phone and then return it to EF’s family. T
Check the beginning of the thread for when a timeline goes up. IIRC The finder reported the items to the police, the husband called in when his wife was late, and he was told about the phone and shoes, then made contact with the cyclist o see if it was the wife's property.
Correct me if I'm wrong, pls.

He would also be within a 5 mile range of the Mississippi River.

If he planned ahead at all, that's where she might be. In the river.

Who knows what kinds of things/ideas he learned in his previous prison stint. Maybe he'd been told it was best to dump a body in the river. Who knows?

I don't think he specifically targeted her--I just think he'd been thinking about grabbing/raping a woman and she ran into his world one morning early. Maybe he didn't even get up early to stalk--maybe he'd been up all night and was prowling.

At any rate, I hope he doesn't make bail and never sees the outside of a facility again.

I'm sorry to wake up to hear Eliza has still not been found. Someone as sick and evil as this criminal would have no reason to tell the cops the truth of where she is. Kidnapped someone and put them in the trunk where they could die and he was out in 20 years. Not to mention all the other crimes. A lot of 'authorities' have blood on their hands.

Im afraid this seems to be a sexual assault.
Surely the perp didn't think a jogger carried a bank card?
Or he somehow knew about the family fortune??
Or there is still another twist.

What a terrible shame.
Instead of appreciating the 2nd chance of life outside prison, he did it again.

But I still hope for a positive outcome.
Naively, I guess.
There are so many twists , I dont know if it's reporting or or what but new tidbits every time I see the news .

If he was high, IMO it would more likely have been meth, not heroin/opiates. Lots of crimes committed when high on amphetamines.
His brother was arrested for having (and possibly making) heroin and fentanyl, and given that CA apparently spent a lot of his time with said brother, it seems highly likely CA would do the drugs to which he had easy access than some other drug.

What does it mean to take someone into custody for questioning? Is that a step above “meeting with the police” like her family described doing in the press conference? Perhaps there is no implication I am just woefully unfamiliar with the nuance.
Pretty sure that "taken into custody" is a locution involving having cuffs slapped on your wrists... which would not be the case for family members.

Hate to harp on this. But from what I read, Eliza was reported missing to the police at 7:45am. Is this time correct?
Assumed to have left for her run around 4:00am. I know I need to stop and not everyone worries like I do when their SO is out on a run, but maybe she was reported missing in less than 3 hours 45 mins and I am missing something. A pre-K teacher with her own little ones would be very busy at home and getting out the door in time to start teaching between the 7-8am hour ? Sorry and thanks.

Hate to harp on this. But from what I read, Eliza was reported missing to the police at 7:45am. Is this time correct?
Assumed to have left for her run around 4:00am. I know I need to stop and not everyone worries like I do when their SO is out on a run, but maybe she was reported missing in less than 3 hours 45 mins and I am missing something. A pre-K teacher with her own little ones would be very busy at home and getting out the door in time to start teaching between the 7-8am hour ? Sorry and thanks.
Affidavit says LE responded to the missing person’s call at 7 am.

I’m starting to wonder if she was supposed to be home by let’s say 5 (unless she was doing a Friday morning long run ahead of holiday plans), husband woke up and started getting ready for work thinking she took it slower. When she wasn’t home by ~5:30-6, he maybe called family/friends to see if she reached out or if they heard from her.

Also, is school in session already in Memphis? Where I’m at, schools open tomorrow (they wait until after Labor Day).

Affidavit says LE responded to the missing person’s call at 7 am.

I’m starting to wonder if she was supposed to be home by let’s say 5 (unless she was doing a Friday morning long run ahead of holiday plans), husband woke up and started getting ready for work thinking she took it slower. When she wasn’t home by ~5:30-6, he maybe called family/friends to see if she reached out or if they heard from her.

Also, is school in session already in Memphis? Where I’m at, schools open tomorrow (they wait until after Labor Day).
Yes, her school was already in session. That's why as a teacher plus a Mom of little ones, she probably would make sure to be home during 6:30-8am-- that busy getting ready time, I would assume. I did not see the missing person call came from her husband at 7am. Thanks for that. Earlier on here I had read 7:45am I also wonder if he was calling family members first before the cops to see if anyone heard from her ...

My speculation here, I've been trying to think why he hasn't offered up a location. Their is only two I can really think of, the first he thinks he's hidden her very well and she won't be found or the second is that he has handed her off to someone else and will keep tight lipped to avoid any blow back from the secondary person
I think that's just him. He took a 5 years longer sentence rather than sign anything.

From the Memphis Flyer story about the Kemper Case, Abston took 5 extra years not to admit guilt: "On Monday, Abston pled guilty just before he was scheduled to go to trial and was sentenced to 20 years in prison without parole. He had earlier turned down an offer of 15 years on the same charge but, according to Durand, told the court Òhe did not want to sign his name giving himself the time.Ó Abston has a long juvenile record of theft and aggravated assault." A SAMARITAN’S TALE

I personally think it's doubtful he will be helpful.

Regarding her clothes in the McDonald's dumpster. An MSM reporter stated something along the lines of "an employee reports clothes matching the description Eliza's were found in the dumpster". It's in one of these threads. I'll see if I can find it.

Here's one which contributed to that info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members