GUILTY TN - Emma Walker, 16, fatally shot, Knox Co, 21 Nov 2016 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just watched this on Dateline . So, when her father checked on her, she had already been shot? Was it ever said that she could have been saved if he had known, or was she killed immediately?

Just watched this on Dateline . So, when her father checked on her, she had already been shot? Was it ever said that she could have been saved if he had known, or was she killed immediately?
My understanding is that Dad heard a noise he thought was a door slamming, so he peered in her room where she appeared to be asleep. I don’t recall seeing TOD or COD, but it was reported early on the ex BF knew exactly where to aim through the siding to kill her. Very careful & calculated. Horrible.

William Riley Gaul Now: Where Is Emma Walker’s Ex-Boyfriend Today?

"In May 2018, Gaul was found guilty by the Knox County jury of first-degree murder, stalking, reckless endangerment, theft, tampering with evidence and possession of a firearm during the commission of a dangerous felony. He received a mandatory life sentence but he will be eligible for parole after 51 years, at the age of 71 years old, Knox News reported.

At his sentencing, Gaul told Walker’s family, “I’m sorry I took Emma away from you. I loved Emma — there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about her or what I did,” the outlet reported.

Gaul is serving his sentence at the Northwest Correctional Complex, a state prison in Lake County, Tennessee, public records show."

So I believe she was already shot. He shot through her wall and it went into her head right above her left ear/towards back of head which means Emma’s face was facing towards the door to her room. It seems it killed her instantly and when her dad entered he just saw her “sleeping”. That was my take on the evidence and watching the Dateline special. I’m sure he beats himself up daily on the “what if’s”. I know I would have. But there’s really no way to tell if he could have saved her :(

William Riley Gaul is hoping for a retrial, but I'll be surprised if he succeeds.

Man convicted of murdering Emma Walker seeks new trial | WATE 6 On Your Side

Updated: May 27, 2021

"Riley Gaul, the college football player convicted of murdering Central High School cheerleader Emma Walker in 2016, has filed a motion for a new trial.

According to court documents, Gaul is seeking an acquittal based on insufficient evidence. If the acquittal is not granted, he’s asked for a new trial.

A motion hearing has been set for June 4 in Knox County Criminal Court."

William Riley Gaul retrial for 2018 murder of Emma Walker denied

Published: Jun. 4, 2021

"William Riley Gaul is back in court for his requested retrial of the 2016 Central cheerleader murder case. The case involved Riley Gaul’s connection in the shooting and killing of his ex-girlfriend Emma Walker. Riley Gaul fired a 9mm handgun into Walker’s bedroom while she was asleep on November 21, 2016, according to the Knox County Sheriff’s department.

Riley Gaul was originally found guilty of stalking, theft, tampering with evidence, reckless endangerment, possession of a firearm during the commission of a dangerous felony and guilty of felony murder in 2018. He has since requested a retrial, which is expected to begin today."

Friday, June 4th:
*Motion Hearing (@ ET) – TN – Emma Jane Walker (16) (Nov. 21, 2016) – William Riley Gaul (18) charged with 1st degree murder, murder, aggravated stalking, stalking, theft, tampering with evidence, reckless endangerment, employing a firearm during a dangerous felony, possession of firearm during commission of a dangerous felony. Plead not guilty. No bond.
5/8/18: was found guilty of 1st degree murder, not guilty of aggravated stalking, but guilty of stalking, guilty of theft, tampering with evidence, reckless endangerment, not guilty of of employing a firearm during a dangerous felony, guilty of possession of firearm during commission of a dangerous felony & guilty of murder.
7/15/18 Update: Defense files motion to continue his sentencing from 7/20 to 9/14.
9/14/18 Update: Judge sentences him to the mandatory life sentence. (TN law must serve 60 years of a life sentence, parole after 51 years). Sentencing is related to evidence tampering, stalking, theft & firearms possession. Hearing on 9/28.

9/28/18 Update: Gaul will serve no extra prison time besides a mandatory life sentence for killing his ex-girlfriend. His sentence allows the possibility of parole after 51 years — at age 71. The sentence imposed for the additional convictions adds up to a little more than a decade - but will run at the same time as the life sentence, making it essentially symbolic.
6/4/21 Update: Riley Gaul has filed a motion for a new trial. According to court documents, Gaul is seeking an acquittal based on insufficient evidence. If the acquittal is not granted, he’s asked for a new trial. A motion hearing has been set for June 4 in Knox County Criminal Court."

October 6, 2023

Is it the end of the legal road for William Riley Gaul? The former Maryville College football player who was found guilty in 2018 of first-degree murder for shooting his ex-girlfriend, cheerleader Emma Jane Walker, has lost yet another attempt at overturning his conviction.

Gaul, who is now 25, is serving a 51-year sentence for the Nov. 21, 2016, shooting off Walker. Attempts to overturn the conviction and secure a new trial failed at multiple levels, with the state Supreme Court last month denying a request for a review.

i remember hearing about this case back in 2018 but had forgotten about it until i was reminded of it on a true crime podcast recently.

If he had gotten rid of the gun on his own and not told any of his friends about it - does he get away with it? Or do they nail him with a circumstantial case? They might have been able to nail him with phone records alone. That and his grandpa reported the gun missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic
Back