TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me out memory wise? Today I was mulling over Gail's action of suddenly upping from the lake at 6:30 am to return to SM on 4/30. Do we have record of a phone call between she and MP per MP, per her sister, per LE, per media, per the attorney, per someone? I don't remember reading any definite statement on this.

How did Matt know NOT to head down to the lake? For some reason, he was NOT on the road driving to the lake as planned. Did he call Gail, did Gail call him? Did he only know because the kids called him to let him know they were dropped off? Was he not planning to to head to the until lake later in the day, and Gail knew she would beat him home? Was he tipped off by someone following Gail at the lake?

What was the communication point that MP didn't start driving to the lake? It may or may not be important. But to me it would show me who had "power" so to speak that day. Did Gail call and say forget it, I am coming there, and she had her own agenda. Or did Matt hold the "power" by saying forget it I have to do errands with my mom, we'll talk here in SM.

Why was Matt still in SM when Gail came home? If they spoke on the phone, then I would think this call should be investigated and the particulars known. It is an important call because it set things in motion that day. IF a call took place.

What do you all remember?

I do recall one article in the beginning, where MP stated that GP was coming so they could talk about THINGS. or some such wording.

He's never stated he talked to her that day and I've seen no one state that either.

We do know GP talked to her sister at least twice that day, one at 6:30 a.m. and once shortly after leaving the residence. Then ~silence~

fwiw,
fran

PS....I THINK I recall AD saying MP was supposed to come to the lake to tell the kids about their separation. But nothing about a phone call between MP and GP....

Mike Mathis seems to be somewhat of an expert at finding missing children, so I think he would be very good at finding missing adults also. The fact that Matt hired him seems to indicate that Matt is sincere in his desire to find Gail. He may not be out searching in the bushes or responding to FB posts, but he hasn't really shown the complete lack of interest that most accuse him of.

I genuinely don't understand this. This PI is someone who works for the law firm Matt has hired, and for all we know the lawyers suggested Matt utilize the PI and Matt simply agreed to it. That's hardly much of anything to indicate Matt "is sincere" about finding Gail in my opinion.

Of all the people Matt hired, Mathis is the only one possibly looking to find Gail, but we have witnesses who claim Mathis has been sending letters to Arlene about DVRs and taking boxes of stuff from homes before LE can search them. So he's not JUST looking for Gail, he's looking out for his client, too.

Wonder who GP's PI is?

Oh, and fwiw, I'm wondering just how much this PI, MM has really looked for GP? I mean, he's been so busy running around collecting the things that GP left with her friends, making sure there's nothing in the searched residences that could hint at foul play, and accompanying LE when the searched the residences?

Seems his time has been pretty well spent following LE around.

Also wonder how many of Jammer's questions were given to him beforehand, but the criminal defense attorney for MP? I mean, how many times, at least in the first interview (that I did hear), did he ask AD about GP's other friends, names, etc?

Just curious how he asked some things. Almost like trying to figure out WHO? could know what. Kinda' like............................

Oh, nevermind. :confused: Now I'm starting to sound like I think the husband did something or whatever! :rolleyes:
fran

Is Mike Mathis mentioned in the book? If so, I'll buy it.

Not sure, but he is here - FWIW...not everything is always as rosey as it appears!

Federal Lawsuit Filed In Prater Case Charges Excessive Force

Defendant Mike Mathis is a City of Chattanooga Police Officer, who was a police officer employed the Defendant City of Chattanooga at the time of the death of Leslie Vaughn Prater and remains as such. At all times relevant to this action, Defendant Mathis acted under color of law.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_59853.asp

Can someone help me out memory wise? Today I was mulling over Gail's action of suddenly upping from the lake at 6:30 am to return to SM on 4/30. Do we have record of a phone call between she and MP per MP, per her sister, per LE, per media, per the attorney, per someone? I don't remember reading any definite statement on this.

How did Matt know NOT to head down to the lake? For some reason, he was NOT on the road driving to the lake as planned. Did he call Gail, did Gail call him? Did he only know because the kids called him to let him know they were dropped off? Was he not planning to to head to the lake later in the day, leaving SM say around 1 pm and Gail knew she would beat him home? Was he tipped off by someone following Gail at the lake?

What was the communication point that MP didn't start driving to the lake? It may or may not be important. But to me it would show me who had the "power" so to speak that day. Did Gail call and say forget it, I am coming there, and she had her own agenda. Or did Matt hold the "power" by saying forget it I have to do errands with my mom.

Why was Matt still in SM when Gail came home? If they spoke on the phone, then someone should know the particulars of that conversation. I would think this call would be investigated and is very important because it is the call that set things in motion. IF a call took place.

What do you all remember?

Matthew Palmgren said in an affidavit filed in Chancery Court

He said he proposed to meet Mrs. Palmgren at the residence on April 30, but when he arrived she was gone, having left the two children "by themselves without any supervision."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_200931.asp

Unknown when that conversation took place. In the radio interview with Arlene that some of us just listened to this afternoon, Arlene said on the night of the 29th, Gail told her and I think Arlene's son that Matt would be coming to the lake to take the kids fishing and to talk to them about the upcoming separation.

I want to say that Gail was with Arlene that night until 11, but I can't remember where I got that from - could be my imagination. :) Anyway between sometime the night of the 29th, and sometime the next morning, Gail decided to head back to Signal Mountain, so that phone call would have taken place sometime in there.

By 6:30am the next morning, looks like Gail had made a decision to return to Signal Mountain, but article doesn't say what that decision was based on:
Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, last spoke to her sister Diane Nichols around 6:30 a.m. April 30, telling her sister that she was leaving her Lake Jordan home heading to her home in Signal Mountain.

http://www.thewetumpkaherald.com/news/article_be9da4a6-832f-11e0-990c-001cc4c03286.html

I believe in this same radio interview this afternoon, Arlene said his statment to LE, which Arlene was reading from, that Matt said he had called Gail, and asked her to bring the kids back to Signal Mountain, because he hadn't seen them since Friday.

I really hope someone recorded that interview. There was so much info, I can't guarantee I got it all, or got it all correctly, even with my notes. Perhaps someone else can jump in with their notes or memory?

Not a definitive answer, but I hope this helps!

Not sure, but he is here - FWIW...not everything is always as rosey as it appears!

Federal Lawsuit Filed In Prater Case Charges Excessive Force

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_59853.asp

So what did Mike Mathis do in regards to this case? That print is really tiny, or I've accidentally changed my computer settings again. Help an old lady out here?

TIA

ETA: Oh! Never mind. It was my settings. I can read now lol.

Found it. Mike Mathis investigated the incident, along with another detective (Mathis was a detective at the time), while Internal Affairs conducted a parallel investigation.

Long story short: The family was awarded $1.5million, CPD had to clean up of policies and practices and so forth.

Mike Mathis was promoted to head of Internal Affairs.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_48548.asp

See my linked in link from earlier for the promotion to head of internal affairs. Sept 2007

ETA again: Here's another case where Mike Mathis testified against a fellow police office for using violence against an elderly person:

The Tennessee Court of Appeals has upheld the firing of former Chattanooga Police Officer Kenneth Freeman.

Chattanooga Police Department Internal Affairs Capt. Mike Mathis had testified at his hearing before the City Council that he "should have gone to jail" for an incident in which he shoved a 71-year-old greeter at the Collegedale Wal-Mart.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_197932.asp

Oh..forgot to mention. CC, who allegedly had the sighting of GP, is a former writer for the TPF (Times Free Press)

Jammer (who is also a reporter of sorts) appears to think that makes her completely credible, seriously? why???? :twocents:

So what did Mike Mathis do in regards to this case? That print is really tiny, or I've accidentally changed my computer settings again. Help an old lady out here?

TIA

You're great! It is more covering up of police brutality it appears, and he is named along with many other officer's that in fact have been named in numerous cases such as this. Nothing related to GP, but cover up's do happen here in chattvegas! :twocents:

Jammer (who is also a reporter of sorts) appears to think that makes her completely credible, seriously? why???? :twocents:

Odd. She probably IS credible, but being credible doesn't automatically confirm that she saw Gail. I don't personally have an opinion on that sighting because I have no idea whether that was Gail or not, but I DO know that it's not officially confirmed, no matter what Jammer claims.

You're great! It is more covering up of police brutality it appears, and he is named along with many other officer's that in fact have been named in numerous cases such as this. Nothing related to GP, but cover up's do happen here in chattvegas! :twocents:

Just adding to this info (still not about Gail but about Mike Mathis), the lawsuit was settled out of court without admitting fault for $1.5M.

Thanks BeanE. Your statement:

"I believe in this same radio interview this afternoon, Arlene said his statment to LE, which Arlene was reading from, that Matt said he had called Gail, and asked her to bring the kids back to Signal Mountain, because he hadn't seen them since Friday."

This shows me that Matt was in control pulling the strings. Why change the lake plan on such an important conversation with the kids. Did he ever really plan to go to the lake? Or did he need Gail back in SM for some reason. Perhaps the "lake plan" was a tentative plan and it got firmed up to SM instead.

Now if Gail was in control and decided to head back to SM, then I might think she was enacting her own plans for disappearing for awhile and maybe set things up to leave the kids and meet with people who would help her.

But it seems she was drawn back to SM by Matt and was not comfortable meeting Matt alone at the house, wanting police presence. Unless she decided she wanted to police to be there for her kids because she decided to flee out of fear.

Gail had "lake plans" from what it seems and Matt ultimately had "Signal Mountain plans".

Just my thinking.

I wish AD would write everything down, in a time line form, and put it on C's facebook. All of these interviews and GP's visits to the lake, with MP, without MP, expecting MP, MP not showing up or showing up HOURS after he was due........who said what, when gets confusing.

One time she's talking about 4/23 then 4/29 then back again, phone calls.....each time you think you have it figured out, it changes or seems it could be something else. LOL, I think BeanE should give her a format and have her fill in the blanks! :)

FWIW, I know MP doesn't like AD snooping around and talking. Davis doesn't want her saying anything, that's for sure. But, who's looking for Gail? AD, that's who! and Clive!

Maybe people think these two are being nosey. But if not for them, this case would fall between the cracks! :banghead:

Where is Gail?

JMHO
fran

It sure doesn't look like a cover-up to me when the family receives a $1.5million settlement, and CPD had to clean up policies, practices, etc.

What leads you to believe that Mike Mathis was covering something up?

I just want to make a comment about how GP would say one thing and turn a 180 and head on out, completely out of charactor.

I know a couple who's presently going through a separation and the divorce is in the 'waiting period.' Or whatever it's called before final.

One spouse cheated, the other finally left, now the one who cheated keeps calling the other one. Sometimes, it gets so contentuous, the one who keeps getting called, will take off for parts unknown, stay with friends and won't tell 'me' where they're going. Their statement is, "It's better you don't know." IMHO, that's because the other spouse knows where I live and does come at any time. It's like they're stalking them when they're at my house. I've had them show up within 2 minutes of calling! (it wouldn't matter to me, except I denied the other person was there! LOL) gotcha! :rolleyes:

So, IMHO, it's POSSIBLE, that MP was this way with GP. Calling, calling, calling, until GP reacted.

Don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I see GP at that time. Just didn't know which way to turn.

Now, Where is Gail?
:(
fran

Thanks BeanE. Your statement:

"I believe in this same radio interview this afternoon, Arlene said his statment to LE, which Arlene was reading from, that Matt said he had called Gail, and asked her to bring the kids back to Signal Mountain, because he hadn't seen them since Friday."

This shows me that Matt was in control pulling the strings. Why change the lake plan on such an important conversation with the kids. Did he ever really plan to go to the lake? Or did he need Gail back in SM for some reason. Perhaps the "lake plan" was a tentative plan and it got firmed up to SM instead.

Now if Gail was in control and decided to head back to SM, then I might think she was enacting her own plans for disappearing for awhile. But it seems she was not comfortable meeting Matt alone at the house on his terms and wanted the police to be there. I don't think she wanted police to be there to watch her kids.

Just my thinking.

It could have been a control attempt on Matt's part. Gail was free to say no, she wasn't coming back to SM though.

She called Diane, according to Arlene (last Jammer interview?) and asked her to call LE and ask them to meet her at the house.

Diane called LE, and LE and Gail talked. So far as we know, LE didn't meet Gail at the house. LE has never told Diane what they and Gail spoke about in the phone call.

She did, however, at that point, seem to me to take control, or to attempt to take control - rather than meet Matt as he asked, she seems to have turned the tables and took off.

My fear is that at this point, Gail may have felt abandoned, alone, and desperate. Previously I theorized she may have committed suicide.

After listening to the last Jammer interview though, I'm about 50/50 - I think she may have been doing exactly that - exerting control over her life - and decided to leave, and is alive out there. This is what I am very much hoping for.

BeanE:

"After listening to the last Jammer interview though, I'm about 50/50 - I think she may have been doing exactly that - exerting control over her life - and decided to leave, and is alive out there. This is what I am very much hoping for."

That would be great. Wishfully thinking that with her Catholic background, maybe Gail checked into a convent/retreat center for a period of rest, restoration, regrouping. Those nuns in Sound of Music were very tight lipped about who was staying at their abbey. ;) That surely would seem a better place to go than a Safe House.

It could have been a control attempt on Matt's part. Gail was free to say no, she wasn't coming back to SM though.

She called Diane, according to Arlene (last Jammer interview?) and asked her to call LE and ask them to meet her at the house.

Diane called LE, and LE and Gail talked. So far as we know, LE didn't meet Gail at the house. LE has never told Diane what they and Gail spoke about in the phone call.

She did, however, at that point, seem to me to take control, or to attempt to take control - rather than meet Matt as he asked, she seems to have turned the tables and took off.

My fear is that at this point, Gail may have felt abandoned, alone, and desperate. Previously I theorized she may have committed suicide.

After listening to the last Jammer interview though, I'm about 50/50 - I think she may have been doing exactly that - exerting control over her life - and decided to leave, and is alive out there. This is what I am very much hoping for.

Oh, how I wish I shared your enthusiasm..Right now I'm just seeing waters being muddied..JMHO

Note: This is about the first Jammer interview, not the second one.

I had some problems with Jammer's interviewing technique, and I'll be interested to see how he acted on the second interview if I get a chance to hear it. Some of my issues:

1. Jammer claiming Lee Davis' opinion of Matt is "public record information":

Matt Palmgren's counsel, Lee Davis, I spoke with this morning, all of this is public documentation, public record information, he has painted his client Matt as nerdy, not nearly as bright or intelligent as Gail, a little bit on the messy side. If we were to suggest that somebody committed a crime or a heinous thing such as murder and tries to cover it up, this is not the guy.

Since when has "Matt is nerdy and dumb" been classified as "public record information"? And what public record? Until Davis told Jammer to tell everyone Matt would never commit a crime, I had never heard this so-called public fact.

2. Jammer failed to follow up on obvious questions, opting instead to push the idea that Arlene wasn't Gail's best friend:

A: Whatever she did, he knew what she was doing. Every move she made. That's why I sent my computer up there with her so he couldn't find out everything she was doing.

J: So your computer ... did she ever talk about other friends? I mean, were you her only friend in the whole world?

Following up on the location of the computer would have been infinitely more useful, more appropriate. Instead, Jammer gets semi-sarcastic and attacks Arlene for being Gail's friend again. I assume Jammer was trying to discredit Arlene. That's my personal opinion because I don't know any other reason to go down that "only friend/best friend" questioning.

3. His tendency to insist that things which are not proven are absolute fact. One thing is him claiming that C's sighting on the trails is verified when it's not. Another was his obvious belief that everything Lee Davis told him is absolute fact:

J: Tammy has been documented at a softball weekend tournament in Mississippi and was not possibly on Signal Mountain.

A: The way I understood it, her softball tournament wasn't until a couple of weeks after that.

J: Well, I don't know about that, but that is the word I have from the other side. ... [Tammy] was documentable in Mississippi...

He does this flip-flopping thing other times, too. He'll say "I don't know about that" to Arlene questioning whether he has his facts right, but then continue on as though he does know.

4. Overall tone: He repeatedly bashed Titus, Mississippi. It was immature and silly, in my opinion. When Arlene said she didn't know how the court system was in Tennessee but it might take a while for Gail to get access to her accounts once a divorce was started, Jammer scolded Arlene for not realizing the divorce would be in Tennessee -- even though she had just said so. He also snotted off again about Alabama, saying "I think we're a little better off in Hamilton County than Alabama then."

Also, he made some tasteless comment about how Gail might not be depressed because of her job, but "I got to believe a suicide by your brother will get your attention." That is just completely tacky.

This is all just my opinion, of course, which I feel I should mention that again to make it perfectly clear. I don't know how the second interview went, but I wonder why Arlene would even DO a second interview with Jammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member