TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped by me.....

I agree there is definitely a suspect, LE is watching him, searchers are needed to find Holly and evidence to tie to the suspect, because those are the 2 elements missing that they need to make the arrest. The 'painful' part is that it is someone who was close to Holly.

IMHO

My fingers are crossed that Holly will be found very soon. My fingers are crossed that LE will have enough information after Saturday's search to make an arrest. BUT we still may have to wait for any found evidence to be tested before an arrest is made. :banghead:

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how knowing that Holly's phone pinged a mile away 'after her abduction' (what time?) is such helpful info.

Is it rumor that LE has Holly's phone? That it was found? If it was found, where was it found? (I read it had been found on older threads.)

One good thing though, LE can obtain Holly's phone info.

I'm sure LE knows exactly what time that ping was...which could be helpful....if that ping was within a mile 20 minutes after the abduction, likely they were still on foot at that time....if she left the house at 7:30 and the phone pinged a mile away at 7:35 then clearly the guy had some type of vehicle to cover that distance in that amount of time.

A thought I had about the phone...possibly it pinged more than once but LE is holding that info back....also possibly it could have stopped pinging because
maybe they entered an area where there was no tower to ping off of.
See this site:

http://www.cellreception.com/search.php?page=1

If you search by ZIP code it does indicate that there seem to be places in that general area where coverage is not so great.

I definitely agree with that. Of course predators live in all types of cities, but I tend to believe that a stranger abduction would be less likely in a smaller community and at a remotely located house (statistics may completely refute that, I admit). Add that to her observed behavior standing with the perpetrator and I'm more inclined to believe it is someone she had met before.

I've thought the same thing about abductions in smaller towns. I think small, close knit communitites have fewer stranger abductions. I know this has been discussed before but I'd really like to know if Holly had recently gotten any strange emails, phone calls, messages on FB, that kind of thing?

The NG page says "soon after" her abduction...for the ping, not for the text. If it only pinged the once, the battery must have died or been removed shortly thereafter.

Or it could have dawned on the guy that she had a cell phone so he took it from her and turned it off. :maddening: I'm thinking that Holly was starting off her day so her cell phone would be fully charged.

If he is known to Holly and her family, he would almost have to be searching, as what would be his excuse, if the whole town is volunteering?

But if he is just known to her by face, as someone she saw around campus or in the bars, for example, he wouldn't be "obligated" to search or make up an excuse, if no one knew about his "relationship" with her.

With this many searchers, even if he is out there, not sure how much damage he could do; I am sure they are searching in fairly large groups and there is no way he could choose which parts of town to search, he would be assigned to a group, wouldn't he (Sarx?)

What is worse to me is if he is searching, due to community pressure, real or imagined, then Holly is not with him and not being fed, etc...and probably not alive.

The request for massive # of searchers, to me, kind of screams of desperation to me. It's like they know they have to begin to wind down the daily searching-this is about the same point when LE stopped the continual searching for Kyron IIRC-so they are hoping to find her this weekend before they have to rethink the case.

Abstract thought:

The call for 1500 searchers just makes my hinky meter go crazy. LE calls for 1500 searchers on a Saturday. That's a lot of searchers. IF IF IF the perp lives in the area, knows the Bobo family or friends, or even friends of friends, how is he gonna get out of searching ? (assuming he wanted to get out of it). Work would be the only really good reason, otherwise most anyone could give up at least a few hours tomorrow. If the perp does go search tomorrow, that leaves his house/land unattended for a while at least. Hmmmm

ETA: Well of course a Saturday is the perfect day to call for a large search, I didn't mean that part was unusual, lol

I think LE knows who the perp is and wants him to show up for the search - that's why they're calling for so many people. He can't very well refuse when so many are needed.

Oh no! This just made my heart thud in my stomach..
Sources say nursing co-ed Holly Bobo's cell phone pinged soon after her abduction within one mile of her home! Her boyfriend allegedly claims he got a text from her phone that same morning sounding fine.
I mean just literally a big ol' thud!! I posted the other night about my strong gut instincts that had kicked in with this case and posted a couple of IMO extremely important and "telling" details of the case that had never left the forefront of my mind..therefor really had my instincts going in a particular direction[posted in Thread#8]..but am not over stepping my boundaries by giving my full opinion but rather waiting for more of the case to play out...

and it certainly seems IMO to be doing just that...Of course these are just instincts and nothing more at this point and I am in no way pointing a direct finger nor laying direct blame on an individual at this time..only stating my opinion of what we know thus far.. but my oh my what is this of boyfriend stating that he got a text from Holly early morning of the day in question and "she was absolutely fine".. great...couldn't have been better..I am hoping it is just my hinky meter going bezerk because so very many times "it" is just who "it" seems to be[i.e. the very one that is supposed to have been there to love and cherish her more than anything]..but God how many times does it turn out to be that the one that supposedly loved more than anything in this world is the very one who caused "her"[as in so many different female cases that we've followed/seen]the pain and anguish in her last moments preceding her death...

I pray that I am totally 100% wrong and totally off base and that Holly is alive and able to come back home..God how I pray that to be the case but my instincts definitely have kicked in..only time will tell..

Prayers for Holly and those who love her are going out fervently tonight...

Or it could have dawned on the guy that she had a cell phone so he took it from her and turned it off. :maddening: I'm thinking that Holly was starting off her day so her cell phone would be fully charged.

I'm pretty sure it still pings when turned off, unless battery is removed. At least that is what has come up as a fact in several other cases. A phone supposedly will ping as it passes towers, even if turned off.

I think LE knows who the perp is and wants him to show up for the search - that's why they're calling for so many people. He can't very well refuse when so many are needed.

Good Point. Also, with Sunday being Easter, they might figure that fewer people would be searching on that day, people might want to go to church or might be out of town visiting family. So maybe they are doubling up efforts on Saturday knowing that the Sunday crowd could be significantly smaller.

Where her phone pinged is either 1. Holly's actual location or
2. where the perp was if he/she had Holly's phone.

Where that phone pinged is very important. imo

From what I understand, pings allow a range of location to be known.
I hear what you're saying but it was only shortly after she was missing.
I'm thinking he took her phone then to turn it off.
At least LE would know what direction he took her to start and go from there.
Also, someone else posted that LE could possibly tell by the time of the ping if they were still on foot or hanging out in that spot - different scenarios.

I'm pretty sure it still pings when turned off, unless battery is removed. At least that is what has come up as a fact in several other cases. A phone supposedly will ping as it passes towers, even if turned off.

I'm not so sure about that. Once a phone dies, it is useless for tracking iirc.
Except they're coming out with new ones that will have tracking devices on them but I doubt Holly had one of those already. Maybe the Iphone has a tracking device currently.

FWIW, cell phones ping continuously. There does not need to have a call or text happen for the phone to ping. I haven't looked at a cell tower map for the area, but cell tower coverage can be triangulated and phones have at times been pinpointed within a couple of hundred feet. If the phone has GPS on it, they can tell within ten feet where the phone is. Mine shows me in the front yard instead of my house. Also a phone will ping and gps works as long as a working battery is in the phone, even when the phone is turned off.

I agree, probably fully charged.

Two things rolling around in my head:

1) You realize your daughter/sister has just gone missing. Besides calling 9-11 wouldn't a knee-jerk reaction to be to call her phone? Maybe mom/brother start calling looking for her and he realizes she has the phone and makes her get rid of it.

2) I'm wondering if this lends some support to the rumor that her phone has been found by LE. Remember a phone maybe found in a car? Was that ever fully ruled out? I know its on Hollye's map....If you think about it, if that phone only passed one tower and then stopped moving entirely, it would just keep pinging off of that one tower until it died. Only the first ping would be useful to the investigators. I know sometimes phones triangulate and ping between towers, but maybe there was only one tower close enough to ping off of?

Does LE need her actual phone to get ping info? I can't remember anymore...

No, just a phone number and a search warrant or permission to access that information from the carrier.

I'm not so sure about that. Once a phone dies, it is useless for tracking iirc.
Except they're coming out with new ones that will have tracking devices on them but I doubt Holly had one of those already. Maybe the Iphone has a tracking device currently.

FWIW, cell phones ping continuously. There does not need to have a call or text happen for the phone to ping. I haven't looked at a cell tower map for the area, but cell tower coverage can be triangulated and phones have at times been pinpointed within a couple of hundred feet. If the phone has GPS on it, they can tell within ten feet where the phone is. Mine shows me in the front yard instead of my house. Also a phone will ping and gps works as long as a working battery is in the phone, even when the phone is turned off.

Oh I see. You guys are making the distinction between the phone being turned off but with a good battery versus a drained battery or no battery.

Since her battery would probably last a day or two, he must have removed the battery if it didn't ping after that. Or did they find the phone as was rumored earlier on? Maybe that ping allowed LE to locate the phone if he just dumped it.

I did a search for cell phone towers in that area - there was only one south of Parsons, in Decaturville. Others were much further out. FWIW.

Serial killers don't kill themselves. And, I hate to say this, but this is where I think it is. And, I think that Heather Sullivan was a failed abduction by the same man. I sure hope I'm wrong...
I agree with you and I'm thinking that's why the reward money is so high, so quickly. HS came forward to the media BUT.....I'm wondering if there are more cases like HS & HB that LE is aware of but those that may have managed to get away from this guy don't want to step forward or let it get out in the media. They were probably afraid anyway and now that HB has been abducted & HS went public.....they're probably even more afraid and don't want anyone to know who they are.

I could well be off base with that theory but if I'm not and LE suspects there is a serial offender involved I think at some point in the very near future they need to let the public know. This guy is obviously dangerous and IF HB & HS's cases are connected.....he's obviously not going to stop stalking women and God knows what else.

I just hope the abductor had a cell phone. If he doesn't know about pings, his should have pinging the same tower as Holly's. Its not a heavily populated area, so may they could isolate some other pings to see if there are any suspicious. jmo

The "sources" on the NG blog page don't really say it only pinged once, just that it pinged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties