TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to add a statistic that I found interesting. "National clearance rates for murder and manslaughter have fallen from about 90 percent in the 1960s to below 65 percent in recent years."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20100530/ai_n53834829/

Wanted to add my 2 cents on this statistic, I apologize if it's OT - we don't know how many of those cases were later overturned and exonerated due to DNA evidence years later, and or faulty eyewitness identification. In those days, all cops had to go on were eyewitnesses or fingerprints. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of LE and come from several generations of cops, but I think of all these guys who have been exonerated in recent years who were convicted back then, and I have to think that old-school racism played a big factor in some of these convictions from the 1960s as well. Also, think of how many rape cases went unreported or unprosecuted. Very often you couldn't convict a rape case back then, prior to DNA, and you had prosecutors who didn't think it worth the time to take to trial. On the flip side of the impact that DNA evidence has had, I think prosecutors are more aware of how important physical evidence is to a jury now, and there may be less of a rush to go to trial without DNA - a case could wait years to get the right evidence. All of this is IMO, of course.

Originally Posted by lishac23
Like heat sensory stuff?
This is already readily available. Military grade...you're not hiding from anyone even in building far away from the viewer.

We were told the FLIR would not work well in an area as heavily wooded as this.

Originally Posted by greengreen
Was it ever confirmed there was a restraining order against him? I heard it as a rumor but never as fact. I know it was never mentioned to us at the fairgrounds on the days I searched.
If it was issued on a minor it's expunged when they turn 18.

Then that would have been 3 years ago? I thought this was more of a recent ex? If any local besides myself can confirm/deny this, please do. Because we can't talk about a rumor and right now that is EXACTLY what it is.

FLIR - working well, and what grade they have is an issue I cannot answer. But it will pick up on a target pretty easily provided enough angles are covered. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiSfPwYq5Uw

I can't speak to the age of anyone involved/whether it did or didn't happen. Just saying if it was on a minor you aren't going to find that record.

Yep working well. And grade/age doesn't matter. ISP's do. Minors, well that's up to someone else I guess.

FLIR - working well, and what grade they have is an issue I cannot answer. But it will pick up on a target pretty easily provided enough angles are covered. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiSfPwYq5Uw

I can't speak to the age of anyone involved/whether it did or didn't happen. Just saying if it was on a minor you aren't going to find that record.

WOW - This is amazing! Did you put all of this together yourself? My hats off to you.

After looking through all of those photos, I can't help but come back to the feeling that SOMETHING has indeed happened that's been a "game-changer".

How can you go from 1500+ volunteers and making pleas to the public for more...to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING???? An entire community (and surrounding communities) completely committed to doing anything that was asked of them is now left in the dark.

Even the people who have been very close to this case have changed. Check out Whitney Duncan's tweets - or Will Nunley's tweets...and Bill Way's mysterious 3 days have come and gone.

Additionally, if they're intent on raising more money (for whatever the cause), why doesn't Ms. Duncan offer a benefit concert and bring along some friends?

I feel they must be compelled to speak to the public soon. If nothing more than to publicly state the reason that they've stopped using volunteer search teams is because they believe that any evidence that may have been found would have been washed away from the storm? How about letting us know if they believe for certain that this was somebody who was closely involved with Holly and not a random act?

But they're just not saying anything at all, which is leading me to believe that some of the rumors may be correct, and they may know exactly where Holly is today.

The silence must be broken.
:twocents:

Yep working well. And grade/age doesn't matter. ISP's do. Minors, well that's up to someone else I guess.

Are you involved in the case to know they are working well? Just curious as everyone seems to be getting conflicting information. What does the grade/ age and ISP together mean?

Honestly I've only been at this for a short while now and I am exhausted and kind of defeated. I dont see how you guys can do this so long without rumors and/or new information.

I really like the last few posts. The FLIR brings me back to earlier. I was thinking about a perp who was known, but for lack of probable cause could not be resonably pounced on (by LE).

Anyway I remembered reading a few months back about LE using helicopters to detect the presence of a body underground. So I was researching this earlier and it seemed they have ground penetrating radar as well as FLIR. I also thought they had some other methods that might be useful but I dunno what. From some of the stuff I was reading it made it sound like "less than perfect" technology, but Im encouraged that some think the opposite.

I liked ENSHTs posted comments seeming to think we will be talking about this in a year but not in the negative way some are thinking (I hope thats what you meant). Also the comment about "catch me if you can" perp.

Its hard for me to believe LE thinks she is being "taken and run with, or taken and hidden" because it just seems natural in that case for them to get everyone on constant lookout for her and a perp(talking to the press). That said, I want to believe that is a possibility.

I dunno what to think...some "local/closer to issue/professionals" seem to think this absolutely awaiting a tragic and simple (negative) outcome, and a few seem to think LE is quietly solving the case toward a positive outcome.

To me nothing about this makes sense unless: a) this is a stranger than fiction story or b) LE is pretty much working on it but has no real idea yet where they will land until they work all the leads possible.

Its just so disheartening in these cases. Like with Kyron or Hailey where I thought for sure they would figure them out quickly and nothing is happening toward knowing what happened exactly.

It seems to me that one of two things is happening;

either LE is busy trying to find their POI, who they have identified but probably are unsure of Holly's status, and does not need the public's help at this time, OR they don't have any specific tasks or requests for the public because they have reached a point of no new information coming in, nothing panning out.

It doesn't make sense to shut down command center, cease searching etc. unless it is one of the two, at least to me.

AmandaReconwith...I just want to see one more picture at the end of that list. Holly home hugging her mom and you'd have a priceless collection there!

It seems to me that one of two things is happening;

either LE is busy trying to find their POI, who they have identified but probably are unsure of Holly's status, and does not need the public's help at this time, OR they don't have any specific tasks or requests for the public because they have reached a point of no new information coming in, nothing panning out.

It doesn't make sense to shut down command center, cease searching etc. unless it is one of the two, at least to me.

perhaps they have found their POI, but like other cases we are familiar with at WS...they haven't yet made a case for arrest.

:dunno:

it all makes me think how they could simply be stymied by lawyers and burdens of proof and junk like that.

I'm not buying into it being a coincidence that a cone of silence has seemed to come down from the sky and enveloped everybody at the same time. Which, by the way happens to coincide with the end of the use of the volunteer search teams.

Finally, the word "unfortunately" doesn't sit well with me at all. As emotional and outspoken as she has been over the past two weeks. I would expect to hear words like DEVASTATED or even if she had left it at No, Holly has not been found...PERIOD..

I don't know. It could be just a matter of semantics - like everything else in this case. It's UNFORTUNATE that I step in a mud puddle wearing my new shoes. It's UNFORTUNATE that I forgot something on my shopping list. It's UNFORTUNATE that I can't meet you Friday night because I have other plans.

Not finding my cousin that I am closely bonded with that was abducted 2 weeks ago is IMO a bit more than unfortunate.

I believe that SOMETHING came to light. I believe they now have some kind of solid evidence of SOMETHING.

It could be that they do know where she's at, or at least that she's alive and able to communicate with them in some manner - or somebody is communicating on her behalf.

OR...(God forbid), it could be that they now have evidence that's she is no longer alive.

OR...it could be that the family has been told they would no longer be actively searching for Holly in the manner they have been searching the past two weeks.

I don't know, but SOMETHING has changed.
P.S. The weather here has been wonderful here the last two days.

I don't think there is even a chance she has been found and it is not being reported. With an $80K reward, people will still search on their own, for one thing, and I don't see how it would not have leaked out by now.

Sometimes these cases go in to a phase of "nothingness" and there is little LE can do. Even if someone had "lawyered up" in that small town, seems it would have leaked (I hate that phrase.) Or if someone had been taken in to be interviewed twice or three times. Media supposedly hangs around police stations, even if investigative reporters no longer exist. And any search warrants would have been uncovered, it seems.

I am one who believes if nothing at all is coming out, then there is nothing to come out. I do not buy into entire towns zipping their lips at LE's orders, as has been suggested in this and other cases. Sometimes there really is just nothing to report.

I don't think there is even a chance she has been found and it is not being reported. With an $80K reward, people will still search on their own, for one thing, and I don't see how it would not have leaked out by now.

Sometimes these cases go in to a phase of "nothingness" and there is little LE can do. Even if someone had "lawyered up" in that small town, seems it would have leaked (I hate that phrase.) Or if someone had been taken in to be interviewed twice or three times. Media supposedly hangs around police stations, even if investigative reporters no longer exist. And any search warrants would have been uncovered, it seems.

I am one who believes if nothing at all is coming out, then there is nothing to come out. I do not buy into entire towns zipping their lips at LE's orders, as has been suggested in this and other cases. Sometimes there really is just nothing to report.

I agree. News travels fast in a small town. It there were some news someone would have told.

Could anybody tell me what became of the car that was found with gloves, cell phone and camo gear on 4/15?

Thank you.

Emma's post about the ransom demand could make sense-that would cause Holly's mom to have hope. I was also thinking perhaps Holly left a memo on her phone and then managed to toss the phone. I know my kids can type messages without even looking at the phone-while driving or with their hand and phone in a pocket. If she managed to type a memo and drop the phone, and it then was found...

IMO, I think LE believes its someone from the community specifically because the family lived in a relatively remote location. I think the facts clearly point to someone targetting her specifically, not that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The perp had no other reason to be there at that exact moment she was leaving other than to abduct her (as opposed to a perp who attacks a female living in a densely populated area--who is in the wrong place at the wrong time in an empty parking garage, jogging in the park, etc.). He's just waiting for the next potential victim to come along. This guy was laying in wait for her to come out of the home, and probably knew she was home because he knew which car she drove. Also, LE might think it's someone from the community because he would know that camouflage wouldn't raise red flags, and neither would his appearance in the woods during hunting season.

IMO, the only chance this would be a serial killer/stranger abduction would be if someone was trolling around a college campus looking for a victim to stalk, saw her, and followed her home one day. Even so, I think it would be hard to follow someone on remote country roads without raising alarms (another factor that points to someone whom she had met before--someone who could find out where they live from mutual acquaintances, friends, the church, etc.).

FYI:The weekend before this happened (maybe two weekends) Decatur Co. was host to St. Jude's World's Largest Coon Hunt. This event bring in strangers from all over the US. There are a lot of events that go on during this time, and most locals either participate in events or volunteer at this time. While I know they think it is someone local, I wonder if they have thought of the possibility of someone seeing her at this event and choosing her as a victim and possibly start following her then. I have seen or heard no talk about all the strangers who were recently in this town. This is not a rumor, just a question that has been in my mind, that has not gone away with any of the information that has been given.

While I am no longer a local, I lived in Parsons for 20 years and speak with someone or another from there on a daily basis. Holly is the very first thing that comes to my mind when I wake up in the morning, and the reason I am not asleep right now. I know how this is affecting her poor family, and I hope they get some answers soon.

Could anybody tell me what became of the car that was found with gloves, cell phone and camo gear on 4/15?

Thank you.

Bonnie, that was a rumor.... or rather it was a rumor that it was connected to this case. There was a car with camo and cell phone but it was found to belong to a hunter who was found turkey hunting in the woods. A poster here was searching at that time and reported this in a post earlier in this thread.

If it was issued on a minor it's expunged when they turn 18.

Sorry to go off track here for a second, but this is not always correct.

Now I'm not sure what the laws are surrounding this issue in the US, but here where I am in Australia it's not correct.

When someone turns 18 here, the records are not 'wiped clean' as many would believe. Instead, that happens at the age of 28.

During the ages of 18-28, convictions recorded whilst the person was a minor can be brought up in court if they are relevant to the matter currently being trialled. I'm interested to find out if this is the case in other jurisdictions.

Anyway, I hope Holly gets to come home soon. She is never far from my thoughts.

FYI:The weekend before this happened (maybe two weekends) Decatur Co. was host to St. Jude's World's Largest Coon Hunt. This event bring in strangers from all over the US. There are a lot of events that go on during this time, and most locals either participate in events or volunteer at this time. While I know they think it is someone local, I wonder if they have thought of the possibility of someone seeing her at this event and choosing her as a victim and possibly start following her then. I have seen or heard no talk about all the strangers who were recently in this town. This is not a rumor, just a question that has been in my mind, that has not gone away with any of the information that has been given.

While I am no longer a local, I lived in Parsons for 20 years and speak with someone or another from there on a daily basis. Holly is the very first thing that comes to my mind when I wake up in the morning, and the reason I am not asleep right now. I know how this is affecting her poor family, and I hope they get some answers soon.

I know how you feel. I am not sleeping either tonite. I really hope her family does have some comforting information. I don't think it is so important for us to have this information at this time but her family sure does need it. It is early in the morning now in Parsons, and I hope today will be a good day for Holly and her family. Last night I read where Phillip Garrido and his wife plead guilty yesterday to the kidnapping and detaining of Jaycee Dugard for 18 years. 2 years ago any of us here would have bet big that it was a sure thing that poor little Jaycee had died at 10 yrs old. I imagine only her mother would have been holding out the hope of her being alive somewhere. We really should all be praying with Holly's mom right now that she is out there staying strong and having faith in us coming to get her. I'm not giving up on Holly after only 2 weeks. I am not giving up on the power of prayer. Now, its 1:37 am in Alaska and I am gonna try again to sleep. I will check in here as soon as I wake. Ya'll find her sluethers, before I get up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth