TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed my posts...was a panic reaction. Not finding anything to back it up. Sorry :(

I think most of us are thinking about this in the context of our own lives, where we live, and how we would react. But, this family is from a very small town. Much smaller than most of us can comprehend. How many of us have the first idea what it's like to live in a town so small you could know the entire police department by name?

When you live in Seattle, or Portland, and possible suspects are greatly more anonymous and far flung than they would be here, going on GMA or Today, or Nancy Grace, may help find your child. When you live in tiny little Parson's, your child disappeared from your own yard in the woods, and your everyday world consists of 2500 people, most of whom you know (or think you do), going on GMA is probably not going to have much of a payoff compared to the amount of criticism you'll receive on everything you say and do. Or don't say and do.

Think about the word parsing that went on, both here and elsewhere, after every press briefing by LE. Can you imagine how thoroughly (and in some cases heartlessly) their every word would be dissected?

After thinking it over for quite a while, I don't think I would recommend someone in their particular situation put themselves through an MSM feeding frenzy. Your mileage may vary of course. :innocent:

I do agree when you put it that way... however I must say, & with great hesitation because I mean absolutely NO disrespect & I am not making any direct comparisons as to possible outcomes!! but it hasn't been since Nicholas Francisco going missing that I have been so confused as to the way family/friends have been acting a month into a disappearance. & again, my heart has been with Holly from day one so I am not attempting to imply anything, I just can't figure this one out :(

HLN reported it, but I can't find a link.. Maybe i misheard as I am watching the jury selection going on as well.

They found Sara Townsend's body in the river near her car. Maybe that was what you saw?

I do agree when you put it that way... however I must say, & with great hesitation because I mean absolutely NO disrespect & I am not making any direct comparisons as to possible outcomes!! but it hasn't been since Nicholas Francisco going missing that I have been so confused as to the way family/friends have been acting a month into a disappearance. & again, my heart has been with Holly from day one so I am not attempting to imply anything, I just can't figure this one out :(

I am not saying the family should be giving interviews. But to show their faces, ask for help in a more public way, show more photos of Holly, something, to a local reporter would not be overly invasive and they would not have to take questions or even really speak. But the way it stands, it almost seems that they do not want the public's help which makes some think it is not needed, which starts rumors...etc...

Again, I thought Will Nunley would be the perfect liason, but he was rebuffed by them as late as yesterday. It is hard to understand, that's all.

I was only thinking about Will Nunley's baffled -sounding tweet yesterday that they would not talk to him. He seems like the best possible media option, from what I've seen, for any size town. I don't think Holly ever left TN so I don't think national coverage is really going to help anyway.

Sometimes he is responding to something others have tweeted to him and, if you don't see both sides, it can make the tweet sound like something besides what it is. In this instance, he was replying to this:

"SEMcGowanJr Sam McGowan
@willnunley Thanks for the news Will. They seem to be shying away from the limelight."

and Will replies with "Even a month later, family members have declined to speak with me thus far. I continue confirm whatever I can. Hang in there."

I think we have to be careful not to read too much into a 140 character message.

I am not reading into WN's tweets. Just feel that he has been discreet, used quotes when possible and that I find him credible and discreet. An opinion.

sniped:
I am not saying the family should be giving interviews. But to show their faces, ask for help in a more public way, show more photos of Holly, .....

I think the answer to this is in what's been said by the TBI:

"Tennessee Bureau of Investigation officials said they are getting more leads than they can handle, including hundreds of calls about rumors. They ask only people with serious information to call 800-TBI-FIND."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...68-504083.html

Results back on a piece of evidence would not really be a clue in my book. Since they still want that "one lead" that might come from the public, I am not getting that this is all about awaiting test results.

You misunderstood me. Confirmation on evidence does not equate to waiting for results.

Yes, Boulder is just a DNA match away from solving a case too...

A DNA match would be evidence, not a clue, at least in my opinion. However, they need something to compare the DNA to. If the blood found was Holly's, then maybe they are looking for some discarded clothing or shoe that has blood on it.

I think most of us are thinking about this in the context of our own lives, where we live, and how we would react. But, this family is from a very small town. Much smaller than most of us can comprehend. How many of us have the first idea what it's like to live in a town so small you could know the entire police department by name?

When you live in Seattle, or Portland, and possible suspects are greatly more anonymous and far flung than they would be here, going on GMA or Today, or Nancy Grace, may help find your child. When you live in tiny little Parson's, your child disappeared from your own yard in the woods, and your everyday world consists of 2500 people, most of whom you know (or think you do), going on GMA is probably not going to have much of a payoff compared to the amount of criticism you'll receive on everything you say and do. Or don't say and do.

Think about the word parsing that went on, both here and elsewhere, after every press briefing by LE. Can you imagine how thoroughly (and in some cases heartlessly) their every word would be dissected?

After thinking it over for quite a while, I don't think I would recommend someone in their particular situation put themselves through an MSM feeding frenzy. Your mileage may vary of course. :innocent:

Eggs-zactly!! I live in a town just about that size, or just a little ways outside of it, actually. I know most of the residents, and a lot of them are kinfolk. I used to know the entire police dept.... all 4 of them, including the chief. I don't know anyone who would want to put themselves through that.

Small town people like to look out for each other, but they sometimes resent outsiders coming in and prying into their lives and their homes and their business, and we all know that happens in every case. I can well understand why the Bobos have not made any appearances on national t.v.

can anyone recall a case where suspects have been cleared by LE and LE has specifically not released that information to the public? thanx for any info regarding incidents of this.

can anyone recall a case where suspects have been cleared by LE and LE has specifically not released that information to the public? thanx for any info regarding incidents of this.

In Portland, MCSO has said that they have been able to clear some people but in a year, they have never named anyone as being cleared, nor named anyone as being a POI.

sniped:

I think the answer to this is in what's been said by the TBI:

"Tennessee Bureau of Investigation officials said they are getting more leads than they can handle, including hundreds of calls about rumors. They ask only people with serious information to call 800-TBI-FIND."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...68-504083.html

They don't seem to have the clue that tells them where Holly is...and that is what I would be wanting, more than knowing who did it, if I were her parent. How any agency can say they have too many clues (more tips than they can handle) when there is no known arrest and no victim is beyond me.

The way JonBenet Ramsey's parents and brother were put under the microscope and held under so much suspicion by millions of people, it's understandable why the Bobos or the relatives of any missing or murdered victim of an unsolved crime would be camera shy.

Eggs-zactly!! I live in a town just about that size, or just a little ways outside of it, actually. I know most of the residents, and a lot of them are kinfolk. I used to know the entire police dept.... all 4 of them, including the chief. I don't know anyone who would want to put themselves through that.

Small town people like to look out for each other, but they sometimes resent outsiders coming in and prying into their lives and their homes and their business, and we all know that happens in every case. I can well understand why the Bobos have not made any appearances on national t.v.

Holly's brother has already been suspected and blamed by some, so it is understandable why they might not want to go on TV, or to even inflame some serial killer. It will probably be solved within a 100 mile radius or even turn out to be someone visiting a relative when he spotted Holly and targetted her for abduction. Kristi Cornwell's abductor was visiting from out of state and had previously done strange things. It's probably someone like that, and the same guy who tried to grab the other girl. That's where the focus needs to be.

The way JonBenet Ramsey's parents and brother were put under the microscope and held under so much suspicion by millions of people, it's understandable why the Bobos or the relatives of any missing or murdered victim of an unsolved crime would be camera shy.

Jon Benet wasn't missing and she was known to be dead. As far as we know, Holly's parents believe she is alive and could be anywhere. And it is hard to think of too many other parents who refused even local airtime/media when their child was missing.

I too feel this is local, at least to the state.

If LE can't handle all the tips coming in, they should get some help from other agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice