TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to treat info from psychics just like info from anyone else?

Yep, LE has to process every tip, even the ones that waste their time and money, and take their efforts away from the investigation. They have to log them and account for how they followed up on them.

An example of one of these psychic tips given in the video with the article that was "Holly is in a blue house with a blue chicken".

Some good articles

The Klaas Act
Friday, April 15, 2011
A Modest Proposal

Psychics don’t solve missing person cases, yet they insist upon injecting themselves whenever a missing person report reaches the media.

http://theklaasact.blogspot.com/2011/04/modest-proposal.html

KlaasKids
Hazards

Psychic Detectives are the vanguard of a second wave of predators that also includes tabloid journalists, cheesy defense lawyers and photo-op politicians.

http://www.klaaskids.org/pg-mc-hazards.htm

INSIDE EDITION Investigates Psychic Detectives Who Claim to Find Missing Persons
3/2/2011

http://www.insideedition.com/news/5...ctives-who-claim-to-find-missing-persons.aspx

Psychics: Insert Predicted Headline Here
June 26, 2008
David Lohr, Investigation Discovery

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2008/06/psychics-insert.html

I am starting to believe that this was a random abduction by a sexual predator, maybe someone recently released from prison, for example. He wouldn't have to be from TN, even, if he was passing through and followed her home a day or two before to check out the lay of the land. If so, she may have been taken out of state and could have been disposed of anywhere. No one had any sort of a vehicle ID that we know of, road blocks were days later, if not longer. I know they keep saying this is a local crime, but I am not sure they are basing that on anything substantial.
I can't disagree with what your saying, but if some reports/rumors are true that an item or items belonging to HB were found based on a tip or tips, whether anonymous or sent directly to somebody, I cant think of a scenario in which a random abduction by a serial predator would do that. Why would the predator risk further exposing themselves?
I'd guess that a random stranger abduction would be more in line with finding ALL items of HB along the "tree lines",which this most recent report could suggest, but either way this story has become more confusing as time goes on.

I think most people can accept that the police have a difficult case on their hands with limited information or evidence with which to work, but the inconsistent reports given to the public are starting to look more like incompetence than any real strategy.

The police need to be concerned about their strategy (if it is one) backfiring and causing not just Holly's abductor, but sex criminals throughout the area into getting the impression that the police are confused and befuddled. The image the police is projecting could embolden criminals into committing crimes in a newfound hope and confidence that they can get away with their crimes. The various police agencies working this case need to coordinate with each other and try to get on the same page in order to look more organized, more professional, and more capable in order to deter criminals and potential criminals from attempting crimes.
This is a nice post and I think there isn't an answer to the issue of criminals getting an impression that you can get away with crimes because the LE is or has acted incompetent in any given area. IMO it's a catch 22. Is it possible the way LE has acted in this case to play everything down goes along with not wanting to draw attention or single out any of their own current or potential shortcomings? There are two sides to every coin. Also, there will always be the possibility of a copy-cat to any crime, monkey see monkey do. I agree the communication in this case seems lacking, but it wouldn't be the first time LE agencies operated with their own agendas. If the LE in this case didn't have some type of strategy for finding HB, then what have they been doing the last three months? There have been reports in the media about meth labs being busted and other criminals being found during the search for HB and that is encouraging, but certainly not enough to justify the shroud of mystery in this case. Also, I'm pretty sure that for the most part, serious criminals already feel confident they can get away with any given crime. I don't think they believe it would be fun getting caught.

Looking at all the young, beautiful girls who just vanish;

Kara Kopetsky, Lauren Sperier, Holly Bobo, Brittanee Drexel

and that's only four who have gotten some media attention,
does anyone think that a prostitution cartel could be kidnapping these girls? And maybe they aren't just taking females, there are so many males who go missing too, maybe they are falling victim to it too. People don't just vanish without a trace. What else could it be? Are these cases really not connected at all? They seem way too alike to not be, I mean young, beautiful, and poof, gone. No evidence. No witnesses. Idk, maybe I'm reading too much in to this. Any thoughts?

In the recent interview given, the Sheriff mentioned US Marshalls have been involved. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that suggest there is a someone - a fugitive, or someone out-of-state they are looking for? I thought the Marshall's were mostly a fugitive locating/arresting, as well as an auctioning agency....

http://www.usmarshals.gov/

It wouldn't be a bad idea to hypnotize clint and see if they can get a better description of the suspect.

The company that made the shirts will now be making decals for commercial trucks and personal vehicles with Holly's picture and the TBI phone number. Basically a missing persons poster that can be seen by more people. This project started with the idea of placing them on the backs of commercial trucks nationwide to spread the word, but they have now decided to create them for personal vehicles, as well. More info is available on the Bring Holly Bobo Home Safe FB page.

The company that made the shirts will now be making decals for commercial trucks and personal vehicles with Holly's picture and the TBI phone number. Basically a missing persons poster that can be seen by more people. This project started with the idea of placing them on the backs of commercial trucks nationwide to spread the word, but they have now decided to create them for personal vehicles, as well. More info is available on the Bring Holly Bobo Home Safe FB page.

That's a great idea!

In the recent interview given, the Sheriff mentioned US Marshalls have been involved. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that suggest there is a someone - a fugitive, or someone out-of-state they are looking for? I thought the Marshall's were mostly a fugitive locating/arresting, as well as an auctioning agency....

http://www.usmarshals.gov/

United States Marshals Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The service assists with court security and prisoner transport, serves arrest warrants, and seeks fugitives.
The Marshals Service is responsible for apprehending wanted fugitives, providing protection for the federal judiciary, transporting federal prisoners, protecting endangered federal witnesses, and managing assets seized from criminal enterprises.

So would you agree that there (Marshalls) being involved says something ?

I don't know; in Lauren's case they used mashalls to help check the sex offenders in the area. They may use them differently in each case.

The US Marshall service seems to be the bridge between federal and state laws, as in being able to operate in between local LE and FBI in any investigation, in any area.
From WIKI- Title 28 USC Chapter 37 § 564. authorizes United States marshals, deputy marshals and such other officials of the Service as may be designated by the Director, in executing the laws of the United States within a State, may exercise the same powers which a sheriff of the State may exercise in executing the laws thereof.[9]
One federal marshal had a staff of 300 and jurisdiction over 35 counties. He earned $150,000 annually.
United States Marshals Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

does anyone think that a prostitution cartel could be kidnapping these girls? And maybe they aren't just taking females, there are so many males who go missing too, maybe they are falling victim to it too. People don't just vanish without a trace. What else could it be? Are these cases really not connected at all? They seem way too alike to not be, I mean young, beautiful, and poof, gone. No evidence. No witnesses. Idk, maybe I'm reading too much in to this. Any thoughts?

I think a lot of missing women in the USA have been abducted for the purpose of being raped strictly by the abductor, but I also think there's a significant percentage of the missing women who have been abducted and trafficked for commercial purposes. I don't think this would've been the case 20 or 30 years ago, but today, yes.

I can't disagree with what your saying, but if some reports/rumors are true that an item or items belonging to HB were found based on a tip or tips, whether anonymous or sent directly to somebody, I cant think of a scenario in which a random abduction by a serial predator would do that. Why would the predator risk further exposing themselves?
I'd guess that a random stranger abduction would be more in line with finding ALL items of HB along the "tree lines",which this most recent report could suggest, but either way this story has become more confusing as time goes on.

Shannon Melendi.

She worked at the same location as her killer. That was her connection to him. The ONLY reason he was convicted is because of the item of Shannon's he left for police. No body, no crime scene... it was the only physical evidence.

He had served 2 years for abducting and attacking a 14 year old when he was a teenager. He was accused two other times of abducting women.

Then you have the cases where they think it's a game... and taunt the police.

BTK, The Zodiac and the D.C. Snipers for example.

Shannon Melendi's case

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006...19166_page2.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

For almost two weeks, there was no sign of Shannon,
until April 6, 1994, when an anonymous male caller phoned the Emory University counseling center with a message.

"In that call, which was very brief, he said that he had Shannon and she was OK. And that he would make his demands later and hung up the phone," says DeKalb County prosecutor Mike McDaniel.

The FBI traced the call to a pay phone and found evidence intentionally left behind by the caller
that would link him to Shannon. It was wrapped in masking tape.

Wrapped inside the masking tape was a bag, and inside the bag was a ring,
which Yvonne Melendi says was Shannon's, given to her by her godmother.

The mysterious phone call and the bizarre discovery of Shannon's blue topaz ring confirmed what the Melendis had believed all along: that their daughter had been taken against her will.

----------------------------------------

Ice says they found wire ties, cleaning utensils, female sweaters and plastic pants that investigators wear at crime scenes to prevent blood from getting onto clothing.

Investigators found eight to 10 women's sweaters, along with other women's clothing. None of it belonged to Hinton's wife at the time or to Shannon. Whom they belonged to remains a mystery. But authorities say they have a pretty good idea why they were buried there, calling them trophies of what might be many other crimes.

"A very distinct possibility," says Ice. Asked if he thinks there are other victims, Ice says, "There have to be."

-----------------------------------------

But what police had discovered, while investigating Shannon's disappearance, was that Hinton had a violent criminal past, a disturbing rap sheet with attacks on several women, beginning when he was just a teenager.

Among his victims is a woman named Tammy, who asked 48 Hours to obscure her identity. She was just 14 years old when Hinton kidnapped and sexually attacked her in 1982.

--------------------------------

The jury had found Colvin "Butch" Hinton, III, guilty for the kidnapping and murder of Shannon Melendi.

Just wanted to mention that I found out today that FedEx does provide free copies of missing persons posters. They gave me 100 free copies of Holly's flyer, but in black and white. Fortunately, it still looks clear, and I was glad to have any at all. Of course, if someone wanted to get even more you'd just have to go to another FedEx location. It sounded like 100 was their standard number. Now I just need to find people in my area to help distribute them!

ETA: I'm in Houston, so if interested PM me (mods, I hope it's okay to say that here since it's not directed at a specific person. If not, feel free to let me know how to word it better : )

I so followed this case initially and am glad to see it's still around; I hope something breaks soon.

Shannon Melendi.

She worked at the same location as her killer. That was her connection to him. The ONLY reason he was convicted is because of the item of Shannon's he left for police. No body, no crime scene... it was the only physical evidence.

He had served 2 years for abducting and attacking a 14 year old when he was a teenager. He was accused two other times of abducting women.

Then you have the cases where they think it's a game... and taunt the police.

BTK, The Zodiac and the D.C. Snipers for example.

Shannon Melendi's case

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006...19166_page2.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

For almost two weeks, there was no sign of Shannon,
until April 6, 1994, when an anonymous male caller phoned the Emory University counseling center with a message.

"In that call, which was very brief, he said that he had Shannon and she was OK. And that he would make his demands later and hung up the phone," says DeKalb County prosecutor Mike McDaniel.

The FBI traced the call to a pay phone and found evidence intentionally left behind by the caller
that would link him to Shannon. It was wrapped in masking tape.

Wrapped inside the masking tape was a bag, and inside the bag was a ring,
which Yvonne Melendi says was Shannon's, given to her by her godmother.

The mysterious phone call and the bizarre discovery of Shannon's blue topaz ring confirmed what the Melendis had believed all along: that their daughter had been taken against her will.

----------------------------------------

Ice says they found wire ties, cleaning utensils, female sweaters and plastic pants that investigators wear at crime scenes to prevent blood from getting onto clothing.

Investigators found eight to 10 women's sweaters, along with other women's clothing. None of it belonged to Hinton's wife at the time or to Shannon. Whom they belonged to remains a mystery. But authorities say they have a pretty good idea why they were buried there, calling them trophies of what might be many other crimes.

"A very distinct possibility," says Ice. Asked if he thinks there are other victims, Ice says, "There have to be."

-----------------------------------------

But what police had discovered, while investigating Shannon's disappearance, was that Hinton had a violent criminal past, a disturbing rap sheet with attacks on several women, beginning when he was just a teenager.

Among his victims is a woman named Tammy, who asked 48 Hours to obscure her identity. She was just 14 years old when Hinton kidnapped and sexually attacked her in 1982.

--------------------------------

The jury had found Colvin "Butch" Hinton, III, guilty for the kidnapping and murder of Shannon Melendi.
I'm going to assume you are addressing this part of my post " I cant think of a scenario in which a random abduction by a serial predator would do that. Why would the predator risk further exposing themselves?" I am also going to assume you are trying to support this part of my post since every criminal except, The Zodiac Killer, you mentioned was eventually apprehended.
Colvin "Butch" Hinton, III had left the ring for LE to find and like you said, in the end it was the link back to him. Also witnesses saw him paying unusual attention to her while he was umpiring a game and she was the scorekeeper. The pitcher on the mound that day says, "The home plate umpire, he would not pay attention to me while I was pitching. I would throw a pitch and then, mid-stride, he would turn around and look at the scorekeeper behind the fence"
BTK aka Dennis Rader- Known murders between 1974-1991. In 2005, The BTK killer's last known communication with the media and police was a padded envelope that included among other items, a floppy disk. Unknown to BTK, the floppy contained "Christ Lutheran Church", and the document was marked as last modified by "Dennis". A search of the church website turned up Dennis Rader as president of the congregation council. Sometime during this period, police obtained a warrant for the medical records of Rader's daughter. A tissue sample seized at this time was tested for DNA and provided a familial match with semen collected at an earlier BTK crime scene. This, along with other evidence gathered prior to and during the surveillance, gave police probable cause for an arrest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader#Arrest
D.C. Snipers ( John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo) - D.C. snipers have never abducted anyone that we are aware of.
On the phone call, the sniper, boasting of his cleverness, also mentioned a previous unsolved murder in "Montgomery". This was identified as the September 21 shooting at a liquor store in Montgomery, Alabama. On October 17 authorities said they matched Malvo's fingerprint found at the Benjamin Tasker Middle School site with one lifted from the liquor store scene. After further research into Malvo's background it was discovered he had close ties to a John Allen Muhammad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks#Arrest
Zodiac Killer- The Zodiac coined his name in a series of taunting letters he sent to the press until 1974. His letters included four cryptograms or ciphers, three of which have yet to be solved. The Zodiac Killer was a serial killer who operated in Northern California for ten months in the late 1960s. His identity remains unknown.
Zodiac Killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer_letters
Other notorious people who taunted LE/victim's family- Jack The Ripper, Son of Sam, Long Island Serial Killer.

This was my reply to this question you asked in another thread.
I think anyone who follows missing person cases will tell you this same thought has crossed their mind before. Then I ask myself this question. Which is more likely, organized sex traffickers randomly targeting young women or isolated incidents where somebody takes advantage of a vulnerable person. Then ask yourself, besides being young and attractive(which could describe A LOT of people), what do these missing persons have in common? Also, why would traffickers consistently target people who will be looked for with strong LE presence, when they are are A LOT of teens and young adults who may not have many options in life (runaways, orphans, etc..) and can be easily coerced or kidnapped and also wouldn't have loved ones constantly looking for them and also may not ever had a missing person report filed.

Actually, The Zodiac has never been caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214