TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden; believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/holly-bobo-missing_n_1858592.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
Holly Bobo Missing: Student's Family Hopeful Renewed Efforts Will Bring New Tips
The tip box is inside an unmanned booth at the Decatur County Fairgrounds, according to Chris Williams, director of operations for Southeast Canine Search and Rescue.
"They put it in an area where there is not a whole lot of foot traffic so if somebody wants to put a tip in, they can do so [anonymously]," Williams told The Huffington Post. "The thought is that if somebody has some information and they are afraid to come forward, maybe they will put a tip in the box."
The fairgrounds are about 10 miles from the community where Bobo disappeared. Her family has placed similar boxes at fairs in Harry, Chester and Huntington counties. The boxes have resulted in some tips, but the value of that information is unknown, Williams said.
Williams has been leading searches for Bobo, and plans to hold another this weekend and on Sept. 22 and 23.
"One of the areas we plan to search is in Holladay. I can't really go into why, but we have a real good reason we are searching that area," Williams said.

Well... here's the way its going to be...

We are NOT going to discuss Clint or the family as suspects. We are not going to bash this family. They will not be discussed as POI's or suspects.

You can discuss what they say and what they've said but you are not going to speculate on why its different in your opinion or why they even said it this way one time and that way another.

Last warning, you all know what can and can't be discussed here. You all know what's meant by 'we are a victim friendly site' you all know who that is. Rumors will not be allowed!

If needed time outs will be given.

Ima
bumping this up AGAIN. Please heed the part about timeouts.

Hurray! Bunni the SAR dog was found safe! =) How I wish Holly would have the same fate!

I was wondering why the organized searches started again after a year. The searches stopped two or three weeks after Holly disappeared and it seems like there has been little activity since. Are they searching places where Holly might be found alive?

This whole case has been so weird.

Delighted to hear Bunni has been found

Sent from my Rezound

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1893484.html
Help find Holly -- Bobo family partners with Elizabeth Smart

"(We ask that residents) be on the lookout for anyone who might be Holly," said Holly's mother, Karen Bobo. "And to look for anything or anyone that looks out of place or unusual."
"TBI reached out to (the Smart family)," said Bobo. "The first time I spoke with (Elizabeth) was the day of her abductor's sentencing in May 2011. Elizabeth told me what kept her going was the hope that one day she would be reunited with her family. (Elizabeth's father) Ed (Smart)'s advice was to keep the faith and get Holly's picture out in the media. I appreciate everything they are doing to keep Holly on everyone's mind."
"She came to Holly's high school," said Bobo. "We are very appreciative. And I appreciate Mr. Smart always taking the time to speak with me whenever I call him. I do sometimes call him for advice when things come up."
The Bobo family just mailed out 20,000 flyers with information on Holly's schedule to prompt residents to think about events in the days prior to her abduction. Bobo encourages residents to report anything unusual, even if they have already submitted the tip.

I happened to drive through pretty much the entire state of TN last week and saw at least one billboard looking for her :( I had just been browsing on here in the car reading threads and it was eerie, to say the least. Being from the desert I remarked to my mom that it was almost claustrophobic how much forest land is in that state.

I live in Florida and have seen Holly on the missing persons board in at least Wal Mart and have gotten her picture in the mail on I think a Red Plumb coupon flier that has a page dedicated to a missing person case.

I felt bad jumping in and asking questions about a case I hadn't read up on, so I just got done catching up. One of the things that caused me to go back was all the talk about stories changing, so I paid particular attention to what the Bobo's were saying and what they weren't.

I will say this, if I ever go missing, I have told my family to never, ever, consider going on a Nancy Grace/JVM type show. I understand there is a thread for complaints about them, but I think my post has some relevancy to this thread. It goes without saying that those type of shows are all about sensationalism and one liners. They are not conducive to having a coherent conversation about a case. Also, at the risk of being over simplistic, I have learned that lawyers use 2 different general styles when questioning a witness. One is to walk them, step by step, chronologically through the sequence of events in order to get the best version of what transpired. The other style is to jump all around in the order of questions to create confusion and leave holes in peoples stories to be attacked later. The shows referenced above obviously use this latter tact. In fact, many times they will go on and on about one subject just to ask a question on a different subject, leaving the person answering unsure of what they should address, the question or the inaccuracies in the rambling.

Having said that, like I said, I took a closer look at all of the family's statements. I certainly could have missed some if they weren't posted on WS. I broke each statement down, fact by fact. I then marked each individual statement of fact as either consistent or inconsistent or neither consistent/inconsistent. The reason for the last category is because if I tell you today that I wore a blue shirt last Friday, that doesn't mean I didn't wear pants also. And if tomorrow I tell you I wore blue jeans last Friday, it doesn't mean I lied or my story changed when I told you I wore a blue shirt. Even if I had the opportunity to sit down with the Bobo's and ask every question I wanted, at the end of the day there would undoubtedly be something I didn't ask and just because that fact didn't come out in my questioning doesn't mean their story changed if it comes to light later.

After looking at all of the family's statements, I was AMAZED at how few inconsistencies there were. Using the Jackson Sun article as the basis because it was the most in depth, I compared the other statements to that one. I came up with a grand total of TWO inconsistencies. One came from a Tennessean article discussed on June 3, 2011 in which the information apparently came from TBI spokeswoman HELMS (not a family member) and talks about how CB, after seeing the blood, ran inside the house, called 911, called his mom and then ran to the woods. Since they weren't actual quotes, it's possible it's poor reporting too. Running back into the house is inconsistent, though, with any other version provided. CB did call 911 and he did attempt to call his mother, but this is the only version to say he ran back into the house.

The only other inconsistency I could find was from a discussion on 7/23/11 regarding a 2 page article where the family itself was talking. While I couldn't pull up the article any more, based on reviewing the quotes provided in the posts, it stated there were 4 911 calls made, one from school, one from a neighbor and two from KB. This is inconsistent with all other versions the family has given. However, in fairness to the Bobo's, it is not clear if the family actually stated there were 4 911 calls or if that was just a report from the paper.

I know I have seen some criticize the Bobo's, particularly CB, for an ever changing story. Some even go so far as to be accusatory, particularly towards CB, and use "his story changing" as one of the reasons they question him. I just don't see it. Please tell me if I'm missing something. Otherwise, I'm not sure how one can use something that never happened (changing stories) as the jumping off point in criticizing/being suspect of a person. Having said all that, I certainly realize that there have been rumors galore, inconsistencies in reporting and some can argue inconsistencies in LE reports, but I haven't found many of those because LE speaks so little. Regardless, I'm not sure how inconsistencies on those individual's behalves can be attributable to the Bobo's or CB.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to get some initial thoughts down before they all go out of my head.

The SAR group that has been searching since last year, search again Aug 11 & 12.

They don't release any information to the public about what they find, and they don't even put out the info on where each new upcoming search will be, until just before the search is scheduled. I would imagine to keep others from going to the area ahead of time, and possibly contaminating a possible crime scene. (If that makes sense.)

I don't know if they found anything.

In light of the fact that they have searched appx twice a month for 16 months, it is my opinion from what I have heard, that they will continue to come here regularly.

Monica will be here this month too.

BBM. I thought I would bump this back up-Karen Anne confirmed that there have been consistent and persistent searches since Holly disappeared. there was no sudden resurgence-the searches have been ongoing.

hth

I felt bad jumping in and asking questions about a case I hadn't read up on, so I just got done catching up. One of the things that caused me to go back was all the talk about stories changing, so I paid particular attention to what the Bobo's were saying and what they weren't.

I will say this, if I ever go missing, I have told my family to never, ever, consider going on a Nancy Grace/JVM type show. I understand there is a thread for complaints about them, but I think my post has some relevancy to this thread. It goes without saying that those type of shows are all about sensationalism and one liners. They are not conducive to having a coherent conversation about a case. Also, at the risk of being over simplistic, I have learned that lawyers use 2 different general styles when questioning a witness. One is to walk them, step by step, chronologically through the sequence of events in order to get the best version of what transpired. The other style is to jump all around in the order of questions to create confusion and leave holes in peoples stories to be attacked later. The shows referenced above obviously use this latter tact. In fact, many times they will go on and on about one subject just to ask a question on a different subject, leaving the person answering unsure of what they should address, the question or the inaccuracies in the rambling.

Having said that, like I said, I took a closer look at all of the family's statements. I certainly could have missed some if they weren't posted on WS. I broke each statement down, fact by fact. I then marked each individual statement of fact as either consistent or inconsistent or neither consistent/inconsistent. The reason for the last category is because if I tell you today that I wore a blue shirt last Friday, that doesn't mean I didn't wear pants also. And if tomorrow I tell you I wore blue jeans last Friday, it doesn't mean I lied or my story changed when I told you I wore a blue shirt. Even if I had the opportunity to sit down with the Bobo's and ask every question I wanted, at the end of the day there would undoubtedly be something I didn't ask and just because that fact didn't come out in my questioning doesn't mean their story changed if it comes to light later.

After looking at all of the family's statements, I was AMAZED at how few inconsistencies there were. Using the Jackson Sun article as the basis because it was the most in depth, I compared the other statements to that one. I came up with a grand total of TWO inconsistencies. One came from a Tennessean article discussed on June 3, 2011 in which the information apparently came from TBI spokeswoman HELMS (not a family member) and talks about how CB, after seeing the blood, ran inside the house, called 911, called his mom and then ran to the woods. Since they weren't actual quotes, it's possible it's poor reporting too. Running back into the house is inconsistent, though, with any other version provided. CB did call 911 and he did attempt to call his mother, but this is the only version to say he ran back into the house.

The only other inconsistency I could find was from a discussion on 7/23/11 regarding a 2 page article where the family itself was talking. While I couldn't pull up the article any more, based on reviewing the quotes provided in the posts, it stated there were 4 911 calls made, one from school, one from a neighbor and two from KB. This is inconsistent with all other versions the family has given. However, in fairness to the Bobo's, it is not clear if the family actually stated there were 4 911 calls or if that was just a report from the paper.

I know I have seen some criticize the Bobo's, particularly CB, for an ever changing story. Some even go so far as to be accusatory, particularly towards CB, and use "his story changing" as one of the reasons they question him. I just don't see it. Please tell me if I'm missing something. Otherwise, I'm not sure how one can use something that never happened (changing stories) as the jumping off point in criticizing/being suspect of a person. Having said all that, I certainly realize that there have been rumors galore, inconsistencies in reporting and some can argue inconsistencies in LE reports, but I haven't found many of those because LE speaks so little. Regardless, I'm not sure how inconsistencies on those individual's behalves can be attributable to the Bobo's or CB.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to get some initial thoughts down before they all go out of my head.

thank you for this. your work and determination are very helpful. i agree with you that part of the issue with the string of events is that no one has been able to sit the family down and get everyone involved to tell the facts, in order, about what happened. le probably has a complete version but us poor sleuthers only get the scraps.

TxLady2, he is either TBI, THP, or DCSO. His uniform has a Tennessee State Map Emblem. I tried to read his name tag but the more I enlarged, the more fuzzy it became.

Elizabeth Smart also spoke in Nashville. My hunch would be THP for security reasons.. Just a guess, though.

Could you imagine if Elizabeth Smart, or any one else came up missing while she was visiting TN? The political ramifications would have been devastating...

Ok, I looked at the picture again and I can't figure out what agency he is from. He isn't wearing his gun nor his walke talkie on his shoulder, so I don't know what he is. Maybe TBI, but I think here they wear suits, not uniforms. Could be a security guard, I guess. Doesn't look like a sheriff's uniform to me, but possible, it just doesn't have that crisp, starched look and he is not wearing any of the paraphenalia they normall wear. Is THP highway patrol? Here, it's DPS.. Dept. of Public Safety. Highway patrol is what they do, state troopers are what they are.

Just to note, in TX, our sheriff's deputies have to wear their guns and walkie talkies as long as they're wearing the uniform, even if they're off duty. My son went to a family visitation when a relative died, and had just come off duty, and he wore his gun, holstered and with the safety on, into the funeral home. I saw several people eyeing him rather strangely, but it's a rule. The gun is part of the uniform and he can't leave it in the vehicle. I don't know for certain, but I assume city cops and state troopers have the same rule.

Do you think the Smarts have paid security with them everywhere they go?
If so, that's got to get expensive.

You obviously spent a lot of time researching the threads before you posted, and that is admirable. I agree with you, some of these inconsistencies could be attributed to the media, and possibly some to misundertanding.
I hope you will stick around to offer some more insights, we need more people who think with a logical mind. I quit posting here very often because it gets tiresome reading posts that are so negative toward the family.
Oh, and I totally agree with you about not going on the NG show. 'Nuff said.

thank you for this. your work and determination are very helpful. i agree with you that part of the issue with the string of events is that no one has been able to sit the family down and get everyone involved to tell the facts, in order, about what happened. le probably has a complete version but us poor sleuthers only get the scraps.

So true. I really don't think LE did the Bobo's, particularly CB, any justice with the way they handled this matter, from a media perspective at least. From what I had read, the resulting confusion led to a lot of accusations/questioning being directed towards the family, particularly CB. That is why I went back to read all of the statements, expecting to find some glaring inconsistencies. Like I said, I was shocked to hardly find any. LE doing something as simple as explaining their semantics would have been helpful, particularly to the family, and may have cut down on so much of the rampant speculation and conjecture. I also think by LE not addressing the media, they allowed an atmosphere to be created where rumors and false leads became more rampant than in many cases, actually causing more time spent by LE running down false leads than focusing their investigation. I understand LE playing things close to the vest, but I also think that managing the media and flow of information is vital in cases like this and LE chosen course of action didn't help Holly's or their cause. All JMO.

You obviously spent a lot of time researching the threads before you posted, and that is admirable. I agree with you, some of these inconsistencies could be attributed to the media, and possibly some to misundertanding.
I hope you will stick around to offer some more insights, we need more people who think with a logical mind. I quit posting here very often because it gets tiresome reading posts that are so negative toward the family.
Oh, and I totally agree with you about not going on the NG show. 'Nuff said.

I found WS as a result of the Mickey Shunick case, and had found Holly's case here frankly because it was listed under the Hot Cases so I had started following the posts. How something like this could happen at such a remote location was shocking and scary. I was always confused on who was who and who said what though, and didn't feel it was fair to throw out any thoughts or opinions without knowing what happened from the start, so I went back to the first thread and worked forward. In all honesty, I skipped posts that apparently only discussed rumors or theories, because at the time I was only interested in noting what facts had been discussed and it was difficult to tell that when one poster says "x" and another poster says "not x" happened. The sad and unfortunate thing is, none of it brings any answers. I just feel for the family and what they have gone through, not only with having a family member go missing, but to be in the middle of this storm that grew around it.

I know it's been said before, but the one thing that stands out to me so much is the remoteness of where Holly lived. The person who took her would have to have known 1. That there was even a house down that road 2. That a woman, or more particularly Holly, lived down that road 3. And that that time of the day was the time of opportunity. No one just happened upon her at that time of the morning in that remote of a location. The two most likely scenarios that jump out to me are an RSO or someone at least vaguely familiar with Holly.

Regarding RSO's, I would certainly think they are capable of stalking or following a victim to learn where they live and what their routine is. After that, I would think that the RSO is someone who is familiar enough with the area. In my mind that could potentially be any RSO within an hour or so. I know some have been discussed and some arrested on other charges. The one thing I didn't see is whether there were any possible ties between any of the RSO's and Holly. For example, are we able to determine if any worked at the school, next door to the school, etc...anything that would give them an opportunity to encounter Holly at some time. Obviously, if it's a random encounter, I don't know that there is much to sleuth.

Regarding the latter, I don't think it would be anyone like immediate family and very close friends. I think that most of those people's whereabouts have been accounted for and if there were any discrepancies between where they claim to have been and where the evidence says they actually were, there would have been an arrest already. I would think that more likely it would be someone further removed from Holly than her inner circle. From there, one would think that LE can eliminate (for themselves even if not to the public) a vast majority of them, making the number of potential options rather few.

I see no way that it was a random abduction. Short of an RSO who encountered Holly elsewhere and stalked her back to her house, I just can't envision a perp committing a random abduction trolling through the back roads of Tennessee.

I know it's been said before, but the one thing that stands out to me so much is the remoteness of where Holly lived. The person who took her would have to have known 1. That there was even a house down that road 2. That a woman, or more particularly Holly, lived down that road 3. And that that time of the day was the time of opportunity. No one just happened upon her at that time of the morning in that remote of a location. The two most likely scenarios that jump out to me are an RSO or someone at least vaguely familiar with Holly.

Regarding RSO's, I would certainly think they are capable of stalking or following a victim to learn where they live and what their routine is. After that, I would think that the RSO is someone who is familiar enough with the area. In my mind that could potentially be any RSO within an hour or so. I know some have been discussed and some arrested on other charges. The one thing I didn't see is whether there were any possible ties between any of the RSO's and Holly. For example, are we able to determine if any worked at the school, next door to the school, etc...anything that would give them an opportunity to encounter Holly at some time. Obviously, if it's a random encounter, I don't know that there is much to sleuth.

Regarding the latter, I don't think it would be anyone like immediate family and very close friends. I think that most of those people's whereabouts have been accounted for and if there were any discrepancies between where they claim to have been and where the evidence says they actually were, there would have been an arrest already. I would think that more likely it would be someone further removed from Holly than her inner circle. From there, one would think that LE can eliminate (for themselves even if not to the public) a vast majority of them, making the number of potential options rather few.

I see no way that it was a random abduction. Short of an RSO who encountered Holly elsewhere and stalked her back to her house, I just can't envision a perp committing a random abduction trolling through the back roads of Tennessee.

i couldn't agree more. i posted a few weeks back about trying to focus on the most likely scenarios based on what we KNOW and i think you managed to say what i was thinking even more clearly. if she was abducted by aliens then there's no point sleuthing any further. if what happened to her is in line with the information we have then thinking of the most likely scenarios seems to make the most sense. as you said, they live in the middle of nowhere and even their middle of nowhere is in the middle of nowhere. imo she was taken by someone who had been watching her. it makes more sense than a) family/friends who have been vetted by le or b) the unlikelihood of a random kidnapper hunter happening upon her in the ten seconds it takes her to walk outside and get in her car. whoever did this knew her routine, likely thought she would be home alone (and thus they'd have time before anyone realized she was missing) but even when their plan went awry (clint being home) they had planned it out well enough that they didn't end up getting caught.

to me, that's where we start to look - people with at least a third degree (of kevin bacon) relationship to her who had the ability to be gone for periods of time (stalking her, watching her, etc) who could blend back into that small town environment without raising suspicions. i can't believe that list of people will be very long.

Most who post here are past trying to break down every little nugget of info that has been given in this case. I saw the word consistency used to describe what is known about this case, specifically relating to info the Bobo's have shared, and that is an interesting choice of a word, especially considering it was given by someone who hasn't been bogged down following this case since the beginning. The ongoing narrative is murky and that does not suggest anything nefarious, only confusion and possibly the narrative was arranged that way on purpose. Without trying to create a chronological timeline, there are aspects of this case that do not mesh very well together, let alone stand up on their own.
Let's work from the most simple way of retelling any version of events from that morning. Ready? Here it is- CB saw HB walking away with an unknown man in full camo clothing and he believed it to be HB boyfriend. End of story. Everything else added is irrelevant from the standpoint that it does not offer any insight into where HB ended up.
When you work backwards from that premise, not much of the info provided makes any sense. I do not wish to waste time rehashing what has been discussed countless times for people to read back on, but maybe by bringing forward some of the oddities of this case we can take another swing at making sense of it. Here are a few and I welcome any more that people care to toss into the mix- (no bias here, only facts as they have been presented)
Supposedly the first 911 call is made after KB is alerted to the situation, which would be aprox. 7:50 AM, or after CB alerts her to happenings at their home.
The sheriff has stated that the first 911 call came in at 7:27.
In the Jackson Sun article, it is said the flurry of phone calls about the hunting dispute wouldn't of happened until 7:35~
The neighbor and later by extension his mother, heard a scream(s) from the Bobo home at aprox. 7:40
CB wakes up around 7:50 and believes that there are strangers in his garage and calls his mother to see if she knows anything. CB and KB have both stated they were the first to call the other. I am okay with chalking that up to innocent confusion, but CB's version is more compelling because after all, he is the one in close proximity to HB and assumed strangers in the garage.
CB is concerned about what is happening at his home. He hears arguing and eventually sees HB car there and also describes silhouettes kneeling in the garage. He has never stated who he believes these people are, in this specific sequence. While he is playing phone tag with his mother, he sees HB and camo man walk away. His mother eventually relays her concerns to CB to get a gun and go check it out. CB sees blood in the garage, where the silhouettes were, but according to his statement he is not concerned because he believes this to be the blood of a turkey. Soon after the neighbor lady and LE pull into his driveway.
CB after being told camo man was not DS, being told to get a gun and seeing blood where he saw silhouettes has stated that he was still not concerned. This is in direct contrast to his mother, who is reported by witnesses, to have been in a panicked state where she fell to the ground, while still at the school. (IMO this is a key aspect in the story as we know it. KB is witnessed by others having a breakdown while CB is basically claiming ignorance to the situation, but there are no other witnesses to what CB says/does. This is what tips me off that the story is not accurate as we know it.)
We can safely assume there was more than one phone call between CB and KB while HB is still on the property. In one version CB relays this info to KB and there is no more info provided after that. In the other version, KB tells CB to hang up, get a gun and to call 911.
CB believes that it is HB boyfriend, DS, who is there and he also believes he was showing her a turkey in the garage. That is offered in conjunction with a description of camo man that is not in the ballpark of DS. There also is no evidence of a turkey.
LE stated she was dragged away, which was changed to forcefully lead with her arm being held which was then rebutted by CB, when 3 months after HB was taken, stated that there was no dragging or leading or arm holding, they were casually walking away together.
Locals on the scene after HB is gone have commented that the scene was chaotic and unorganized. People were trampling all over the place on foot and vehicles.
DB himself tapes of the garage where blood is found.
The TBI has stated they are confident that the scene was completely under control and the local LE did what was expected of them.
CB discourages people from entering into the woods where HB was last seen because he wants to preserve any evidence and also writes up a statement for LE. CB is also quoted as saying that he believes they will not get HB back anytime soon.

There are other oddities in this case, but I think this sufficiently gets the point across. If anyone has info to add or correct, then by all means.

Glad people are discussing Holly's case in a useful way again. :)

Maybe it would be helpful to think along the lines of what we are missing (using current cues) vs what we know to be true?
Just so we can think outside of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne