TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you. I need to look into it and call this in... I think there is a possibility because this is the only murder like this. The police didn't catch the guy despite trying very hard, so the most logical reason for both those things is it was done by someone just passing through.

Just bumping this thread... Just in case.

I've just power read the thread and may have missed some bits, but did you ever get a response from LE on the Debardeleben theory?

Not yet. I haven't been able to do that... There's a lot of stuff going on right now...

Not yet. I haven't been able to do that... There's a lot of stuff going on right now...

Ping them a quick email if you get chance. They may have already ruled him out.

PS great sleuthing, Arnie!

47 years later, girl’s death near Woodbine skating rink remains mystery

http://wkrn.com/2016/11/17/47-years-later-girls-death-near-woodbine-skating-rink-remains-mystery/

It’s a murder that’s gone unsolved for nearly 47 years.

Kathy Jones was 12 years old when she was walking to a roller skating rink in South Nashville, but she never made it.

Her body was found less than two days later not far from the rink.

Investigators say they’re still getting calls about the case and actively looking for Kathy’s killer.

The original theory was that Kathy was later placed at the empty lot nearby, but Postiglione doesn’t buy it.

“She wasn’t placed there three or four days later. She was there the whole time. She was in real high weeds; it’s possible civil defense just missed her,” he told News 2.

Dozens of suspects were interviewed, but none were brought to justice.

Still, the retired detective believes Kathy’s case can be solved. Postiglione hopes new DNA technology will help.

“That’s how you solve a case–when the technology catches up with the crime and you’re able to solve these cases,” he said. “And you hope that the person who did it is continually looking over their shoulder, especially when you have a cold case unit breathing down their neck.”

Hello. I’m super late to this discussion but heartbroken nonetheless. I studied this case briefly a few years ago when I first began visiting Nashville for unrelated reasons. I see that there is at least one other LEO who posted to the other thread. I’m also retired LE, federal from another state. I’m not a homicide investigator but have dealt extensively with violent sex offenders and studied many a case narrative in the process of tracking RSOs. Anyhow, as the anniversary of this case is in just a few days, and I happen to be in Nashville at the moment, I just wanted to chime in briefly and pay my respects.

It goes without saying that there is just no way to reliably speculate on specifics of the investigation without access to file material. But I wanted to offer my inclination as to what generally happened, because this beautiful girl’s terrible ending moves me in the same way as it does everyone here. I have to say that I am in agreement with those that believe the assault and homicide were most likely committed at or near the site where she was found. My belief is that this was a crime of opportunity, possibly preplanned to the extent that the killer was looking for an opportunity and found it at a Krispy Kreme in the form of young Kathy and a dark overgrown vacant lot next-door. My only deviation from the previous LEO’s hypothesis is the seeming assumption that this was a crime of inner rage, precipitated by a triggering event. It may very well have been. But sometimes these acts are just committed by individuals out to satisfy their depraved soul. They are literally wired differently than most of us. Often it is a combination of that sociopathic depravity and triggering events that spell serial killer.

As to the stranger versus known person, I would say it was very likely a stranger, but of course anything is possible. It’s also possible that the perpetrator locked in on her as she made her way to/from the Krispy Kreme and skating rink, and seized upon her at the first available opportunity. In terms of an organized versus disorganized crime, there are often charactaristics of both, and with what has been made publicly available about this case, is what I would describe it as having. The killer may not have been prepared at the moment but once he made the decision to act he knew what to do, and did it quickly. The using of clothing articles for gagging and tearing them into strips for restraints on the surface seems impulsive but would not likely be an effective method for a beginner in a public setting.

When I say the assault happened at that site, it’s not to say that he didn’t get her inside of a vehicle at some point in furtherance of his plan. It may have been a part of his plan actually. However, the idea that he would have abducted her, driven to another locale, assaulted and killed her, and then brought her back to that site would be unnecessarily risky and highly unlikely. Thus, if anything took place inside of a vehicle I expect that it would have been close by. I do not believe she was taken to another location.

There are many more points to ponder and I’ve blown much more wind here than I intended, given the lack of certain details. I hope to get caught up with some of the other unsolved cases before my next stay in Nashville. There’s always a possible connection. With the advancements of DNA testing and seemingly no recent developments, the inclination is to believe that the likelihood of this case being solved at this point is not particularly high. But it is higher than zero. Nashville has some very capable detectives. And it’s quite possible that investigators are closer than it appears. Which to me makes it VERY solvable. These are just a few of my thoughts as a current outsider and as the anniversary of this innocent little girl’s murder draws near. God Bless you Kathy.

Hello. I’m super late to this discussion but heartbroken nonetheless. I studied this case briefly a few years ago when I first began visiting Nashville for unrelated reasons. I see that there is at least one other LEO who posted to the other thread. I’m also retired LE, federal from another state. I’m not a homicide investigator but have dealt extensively with violent sex offenders and studied many a case narrative in the process of tracking RSOs. Anyhow, as the anniversary of this case is in just a few days, and I happen to be in Nashville at the moment, I just wanted to chime in briefly and pay my respects.

It goes without saying that there is just no way to reliably speculate on specifics of the investigation without access to file material. But I wanted to offer my inclination as to what generally happened, because this beautiful girl’s terrible ending moves me in the same way as it does everyone here. I have to say that I am in agreement with those that believe the assault and homicide were most likely committed at or near the site where she was found. My belief is that this was a crime of opportunity, possibly preplanned to the extent that the killer was looking for an opportunity and found it at a Krispy Kreme in the form of young Kathy and a dark overgrown vacant lot next-door. My only deviation from the previous LEO’s hypothesis is the seeming assumption that this was a crime of inner rage, precipitated by a triggering event. It may very well have been. But sometimes these acts are just committed by individuals out to satisfy their depraved soul. They are literally wired differently than most of us. Often it is a combination of that sociopathic depravity and triggering events that spell serial killer.

As to the stranger versus known person, I would say it was very likely a stranger, but of course anything is possible. It’s also possible that the perpetrator locked in on her as she made her way to/from the Krispy Kreme and skating rink, and seized upon her at the first available opportunity. In terms of an organized versus disorganized crime, there are often charactaristics of both, and with what has been made publicly available about this case, is what I would describe it as having. The killer may not have been prepared at the moment but once he made the decision to act he knew what to do, and did it quickly. The using of clothing articles for gagging and tearing them into strips for restraints on the surface seems impulsive but would not likely be an effective method for a beginner in a public setting.

When I say the assault happened at that site, it’s not to say that he didn’t get her inside of a vehicle at some point in furtherance of his plan. It may have been a part of his plan actually. However, the idea that he would have abducted her, driven to another locale, assaulted and killed her, and then brought her back to that site would be unnecessarily risky and highly unlikely. Thus, if anything took place inside of a vehicle I expect that it would have been close by. I do not believe she was taken to another location.

There are many more points to ponder and I’ve blown much more wind here than I intended, given the lack of certain details. I hope to get caught up with some of the other unsolved cases before my next stay in Nashville. There’s always a possible connection. With the advancements of DNA testing and seemingly no recent developments, the inclination is to believe that the likelihood of this case being solved at this point is not particularly high. But it is higher than zero. Nashville has some very capable detectives. And it’s quite possible that investigators are closer than it appears. Which to me makes it VERY solvable. These are just a few of my thoughts as a current outsider and as the anniversary of this innocent little girl’s murder draws near. God Bless you Kathy.

Cornfed, welcome back and thanks so much for the great post. It's heartwarming to know other pros in law enforcement are touched by Kathy's case, like so many of us amateurs. Your information about sex offenders is very helpful, IMO. Your opinion that it was a stranger, though an experienced one is very helpful. They saw an opportunity and took it, expertly using items of Kathy's clothing, etc. to bind her. That does sound like something only an experienced criminal would do, especially in an area where others were not very far away. Very bold and skilled.

Also good to hear your compliments of the Nashville detectives. They are exceptional in the way they've pursued this case and kept it before the public for so many years.

:tyou: :grouphug:

Hi December (and all).. I just wanted to check in and bump the thread. I am not on here much these days but always think about Kathy and wonder if there are any new leads. Anything you can share, December?

I've been working on researching Kathy's case on and off for almost two years. I'm a podcaster (true crime), and I'm going to be creating an entire long-form investigative podcast on Kathy's case this year. I got a little write-up on the Nashville Scene website about it the other day, if you're curious: Something's Not Right Co-Host Aims to Kickstart Podcast on Unsolved Nashville Murder

If you have some information that you feel might be useful, I periodically check in here to see if there have been updates. Or you can email me/find me via social media - all the pertinent info is at flatrockpod.com

I've been working on researching Kathy's case on and off for almost two years. I'm a podcaster (true crime), and I'm going to be creating an entire long-form investigative podcast on Kathy's case this year. I got a little write-up on the Nashville Scene website about it the other day, if you're curious: Something's Not Right Co-Host Aims to Kickstart Podcast on Unsolved Nashville Murder

If you have some information that you feel might be useful, I periodically check in here to see if there have been updates. Or you can email me/find me via social media - all the pertinent info is at flatrockpod.com

Just a suggestion, but you may want to reach out to December. December is a verified insider on this case and is probably much more knowledgeable of the facts of this heinous crime than anyone else on this board.

Welcome Jane!
This is the one case I think about a lot. We've done a lot of research, and there seemed to be some behind the scenes work going on, but I have not heard anything in a while. I will look forward to hearing your podcast!

Just wanted to update everyone — my podcast about this case, Flatrock, premieres tomorrow. Over the course of the series, I’ll be giving some very significant information that was not reported on this case. You can listen through any of the major podcast platforms, or you can listen via the website — flatrockpod.com

Will try to remind myself to listen when it becomes available tomorrow. Correct?

In addition to my earlier post (years ago)
Offender:
-Most often a White Male
-Between 20-30 usually around 26-27 years old at time of event.
-Single
-Lived (lives) /worked (works) nearby
-Most likely a stranger, to the victim but may be a vague acquaintance
-Unemployed or underemployed at time
-Blue collar unskilled or semi skilled work most common
-Victim is selected due to opportunity (Almost none are selected based on physical attributes)
-Was not planned
-Most Likely criminal history involving crimes of a deviant sexual nature almost certainly involving children
-In this case, I would not rule out some type psychological treatment in his past.
-Issues reflective of poor impulse control will be prevalent
-Considered "odd" by those who know him
-Lives with parents to a lesser extent may live alone
-History of frequent residential changes, usually 1 within 12 mos prior to the event.
-Though triggering events play little role in most abduction murders of children in this case, I feel the offender had some precipitating event prior to the abduction.
-Motive was sexual (almost always is )
-Familiar with the site here she was recovered (murder/recovery site same location)
-May have returned to the site where she was recovered prior to her body being discovered (investigative consideration for anyone seen in the area prior to her discovery)
-LE has most likely interviewed him
-May have left the area once the intensity of the case, died down
-Of all the murder types those who commit abduction murders of children for sexual purposes , have the highest propensity of all killer types to become serial offenders
-VERY high possibility that this individual has committed further crimes, they may however be short of murder, though i would have zero trouble believing this particular individual has

The first episode was interesting. It does have some more information about Kathy, her family and background. Apparently, her family situation wasn't ideal, even a little unsettled. At this point, it's hard to say if that was related to her murder. I was somewhat confused about whether or not Kathy typically walked to the roller rink on her own. Some inconsistency in those statements.

Kell1 have you listened to it?

The podcast is good at telling a story, but not so much at helping listeners organize facts and evidence. That's common, though, in many true crime podcasts as the people producing them understandably want to attract many listeners. It sounds like the people presenting the podcast are locals to Nashville and lived there many years, so that is very helpful.

Listen — Flatrock

The second episode of the Flatrock podcast is available. Olivia has done an excellent job on this so far. She's done very good research.

This episode contains more interviews with LE about the crime scene and Kathy's injuries and possible cause of death.
Her injuries, as we know, were horrific. It's assumed she was brutally sexually assaulted, possibly multiple times, however there's no definitive proof as the ME didn't perform an autopsy. It just wasn't commonly done by Nashville ME's back then.

Officers also discuss their beliefs that Kathy wasn't removed from the area, then later dumped in the weedy lot behind the Krispy Kreme. However, Olivia relates some information from a friend of a relative about injuries to Kathy that were not described in the news media. Injuries that possibly indicate she was killed by someone linked to her family.

Give it a listen, its very good

Listen — Flatrock

Stitcher link

Flatrock

Here's Episdoe 3. This is a great podcast

3: Abide With Me — Flatrock

Among the suspects considered and given polygraph exams were Kathy's mom's boyfriend and his friend. Results for both were inconclusive. Unfortunately, Kathy's home life wasn't ideal.

Last edited:
50 Years Ago this month...

bed36c2b-0aee-4361-a7fc-5deac9a776dd-medium16x9_KathyJones.JPG

Kathy Jones, age 12, murdered 29 November 1969

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — An unsolved murder of a Nashville 6th grade student who was found sexually assaulted and murdered 50 years ago is now the subject of an investigative podcast...

LINK:

Unsolved: Nashville child who was found sexually assaulted, murdered subject of podcast

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back