GUILTY TN - Kayla Qualls, 26, beaten to death, Tullahoma, 26 Nov 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
you know, we all follow these cases and we all wonder WTF goes through the minds of people that actually kill. For example, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how her killer (and anyone involved) can kill her in the manner he did in that house, then dump her off and come home to what....watch tv?? There had to be something of a mess.
And now we have the baby daddy on Facebook making posts and members of his family making rather selfish posts and asking for prayers...(one family member of his even posted on one page for Kayla requesting prayers)

My understanding is at least one of the children was at Nicks home that he shared with his dad.
She went to pick the child up I believe. (like I say, it could be both children were present. I'm hearing both stories)

She was killed in the Curtis home. Then driven in her vehicle to the area she was discovered.

There were at least two involved. Grandfather didn't walk 2+ miles back home.

IMO
That is the part that seems real confusing to me as well. I would think it would take 2 people to get the vehicle there. Maybe more charges will be coming like accessory charges.

I hope LE establishes a good case and can successfully prosecute this case.

Don't have a link but apparently comments are implying that the Grandfather basically raised those two kids and there were some custody disputes. Grandfather didn't want to give the kids up.

If there is any truth to that it would explain the "rage" and would explain why Grandad may have completely lost it.

Anyone know if the children actually LIVED with Qualls most of the time?

oohhh....I don't know about that. I'm going to lean toward I don't believe that. Knowing who I know in Kaylas family, and knowing what I know OF the paternal side of the family,

Sonya, where are you reading this?

gotcha , thanks Sonya!!

I am sure everything will start coming out soon.

gotcha , thanks Sonya!!

I am sure everything will start coming out soon.

You made a comment that the father's family was always "playing games with Kayla over the kids". I initially took that to maybe mean the father wasn't involved and wasn't seeing the kids much but it could also mean they wanted to keep the kids and not give them back to her.

Just posting to say, I haven't heard anything 'new' about Kaylas case. The father of her children is not arrested as of this time, so not sure about anything else.
The grandfather was charged and appointed an attorney. Sometime in January is when they say the next court date is here in Coffee County.

There hasn't been any updates via her Facebook page. Last I knew, her parents were trying to get custody of the kids.

Still think about Kayla daily.

The only updates we've heard are Kaylas mother is pleading for help for questions she has about the law and the case, Kaylas ex has still not been arrested.

The children are in the care of Kaylas mother and father, thank goodness.

Apparently, the ex visited his dad in jail and decided it was a good idea to take a picture of them while visiting. Now, he can't visit his dad any longer.
Theres not as much chatter on social media as there was at first.

I'd love for Kaylas mom to come post here and maybe some seasoned members can help her with questions she has.
I feel really bad for her. She seems like such a sweet person. :(

I wanted to put a quick post up asking for good thoughts/prayers/etc sent to Kaylas family today. They are in court this morning.

Sending peace, strength and hugs their way.

xoxoox

EDITED:
Sorry, I was under the understanding that court was today. It is tomorrow. Nevertheless, send tons of good thoughts/prayers/etc their way please.
I know this has to be so hard on them.

http://www.tullahomanews.com/?p=26251

Nick Curtis pleaded guilty before Circuit Court Judge Vennessa Jackson to the perjury charge for lying to police about what happened the day Qualls was murdered in November 2012 and that he gave a false report...

The investigation into the murder revealed that Nick Curtis’ father, Michael Curtis, allegedly committed the murder and, at the time of his arrest, authorities said he admitted that he killed her...

In exchange for Nick Curtis’ plea, he will be required to serve one year in the Coffee County Jail and four years probation. His father is being held in jail awaiting trial in February on the murder charge.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/26398163/family-of-woman-beaten-to-death-upset-with-plea-deal

The family of a Coffee County woman killed over two years ago is unhappy about a plea deal in the case...

"I want him for accessory, but they told me they can't do that without hard evidence," said Kandy Qualls, Kayla's mother...

"He was there and he didn't protect her," she said. "He didn't do anything, call 911, he didn't do anything. He just watched. He protected his dad and watched my daughter die."

From September 2015:

http://www.tullahomanews.com/curtis-guilty-of-voluntary-manslaughter/

Michael Curtis, 51, of Tullahoma, was convicted of voluntary manslaughter on Tuesday by a Coffee County Circuit Court jury in the 2012 death of Kayla Qualls...

In opening arguments, Stephens said Curtis hit the young mother in the face, choked her, hit her with a club and then dragged her body through the house to a deck at the rear of the house. The prosecutor alleged that Qualls attempted get up and that Curtis then struck her in the head nine times with an aluminum baseball bat...

Curtis was charged with first-degree murder, but the jury decided on the lesser sentence. He faces a minimum of three years and a maximum of 16 years in prison. Sentencing is set for Dec. 9.

Which is today, actually, but I don't see any news on sentencing yet.

The actual sentencing will be in January now.
The family of Kayla made their victim statements a week or so ago.

The dragging out of this injustice needs to end so her sweet family can stop these frequent frustrating courtroom visit's.
The killers family has been absolutely horrible to Kaylas family each time.

I'll never understand it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyndHunter
Back