Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Narrative of Events Regarding Shotgun Jane Doe
Synopsis taken from newspaper articles in the Knoxville News Sentinel archives.
Anything with ** before it is my thought and not part of the synopsis.

Percy Preston 76, of Bristol Virginia picked up two men and a woman hitchhiking. He claims he does not remember where he picked them up.

**This is in sharp contrast to the previous theory that she was picked up by two men at a rest stop.

Percy had left his home Saturday night in a white 1977 Impalla and had picked the three up some time Sunday morning.

**Bristol Virginia stradles the Tennessee-Virginia line and is half in Tennessee and half in Virginia. It is just north of the rest stop everyone mentions previous. This leads me to believe he may have picked them up at this rest stop.

The elderly Preston claims that at some time Sunday the two men gained control of his car. The four spent all day Sunday driving around Knoxville, Tennessee. At 1:30 am Monday morning police are called to an I-81 rest stop. The report is an elderly disoriented man. Upon arriving they find Percy Preston on his own and he relates the above story.

Almost exactly one hour after Percy is found a call comes into dispatch at Knox County Tennessee. The call is from Tammy Holt age 21 of Jim Sterchi Road. She claims that there is a woman screaming on her front porch. Tammy lives at this residence with Jennifer Northern age 23. Northen says that she yelled for the lady to go away and that they had called 911.

The lady screams (according to Northern and Holt) "He has a knife!"

At this point the lady opens the metal storm door and Northern fires her 12 guage shotgun through the door killing Jane Doe. Two men fled the scene, with Northern's only description as sandy brown hair. She did describe the 1977 Impala. Deputies would find the Impala two blocks away and connect it with the disoriented man on I-81.

The police through evidence in the car find the driver was John K. McCarter 35. Shirley Sue Furgeson who lived with McCarter on Dry Gap Road (where they were picked up) was also arrested and charged with theft from Percy Preston.

**Now does this mean she (Furgeson) was the woman of the three hitchikers and not our Jane Doe? Or was this an assumption made by police at the time? I can find no paper relating the disposition of charges against Ferguson.

McCarter admitted to taking an unidentified man and the Jane Doe to the Northern home. Although records showed his address as Dry gap Road, he claimed to live in a trailer within sight of the Northern home.

Police release a statement that Northern acted in self defense and no charges would be brought against her.

The second man is later identified as: Jerry Lynn Brown of Newport. Newport, Tennessee which is near the I-81 rest stop and just below Bristol where Percy Preston lived.

ok. so that sequence of events leads me to believe that the men w Jane Doe were in fact up to no good. it seems they strong armed Percy of his vehicle. first "using" him then bullying him and finally abandoning him and taking it. at this point it is possible that Jane Doe was either fleeing them or in fact attempting to cause a disturbance to gain entry to this house on Jim Sterchi Road.

Percy Preston 76, of Bristol Virginia picked up two men and a woman hitchhiking. He claims he does not remember where he picked them up.

**This is in sharp contrast to the previous theory that she was picked up by two men at a rest stop.

Percy had left his home Saturday night in a white 1977 Impalla and had picked the three up some time Sunday morning.

**Bristol Virginia stradles the Tennessee-Virginia line and is half in Tennessee and half in Virginia. It is just north of the rest stop everyone mentions previous. This leads me to believe he may have picked them up at this rest stop.

The elderly Preston claims that at some time Sunday the two men gained control of his car. The four spent all day Sunday driving around Knoxville, Tennessee. At 1:30 am Monday morning police are called to an I-81 rest stop. The report is an elderly disoriented man. Upon arriving they find Percy Preston on his own and he relates the above story.

Almost exactly one hour after Percy is found a call comes into dispatch at Knox County Tennessee. The call is from Tammy Holt age 21 of Jim Sterchi Road. She claims that there is a woman screaming on her front porch. Tammy lives at this residence with Jennifer Northern age 23. Northen says that she yelled for the lady to go away and that they had called 911.

At this point the lady opens the metal storm door and Northern fires her 12 guage shotgun through the door killing Jane Doe. Two men fled the scene, with Northern's only description as sandy brown hair. She did describe the 1977 Impala. Deputies would find the Impala two blocks away and connect it with the disoriented man on I-81.

The police through evidence in the car find the driver was John K. McCarter 35. Shirley Sue Furgeson who lived with McCarter on Dry Gap Road (where they were picked up) was also arrested and charged with theft from Percy Preston.

**Now does this mean she (Furgeson) was the woman of the three hitchikers and not our Jane Doe? Or was this an assumption made by police at the time? I can find no paper relating the disposition of charges against Ferguson.

McCarter admitted to taking an unidentified man and the Jane Doe to the Northern home. Although records showed his address as Dry gap Road, he claimed to live in a trailer within sight of the Northern home.

Police release a statement that Northern acted in self defense and no charges would be brought against her.

The second man is later identified as: Jerry Lynn Brown of Newport. Newport, Tennessee which is near the I-81 rest stop and just below Bristol where Percy Preston lived.

to add, if these guys lived within eyesight of the Northern home, maybe they knew the women either lived alone or if they did not, knew they were home alone.

ok. so that sequence of events leads me to believe that the men w Jane Doe were in fact up to no good. it seems they strong armed Percy of his vehicle. first "using" him then bullying him and finally abandoning him and taking it. at this point it is possible that Jane Doe was either fleeing them or in fact attempting to cause a disturbance to gain entry to this house on Jim Sterchi Road.

Ive always felt she was fleeing them.

I understand that women living alone might be sketched out if they heard a commotion out side their home, but seriously if I heard another woman in distress I’m not sure I’d aim a gun at them. The unidentified was around their age and yelling “he has a knife” , I just find the situation weird that she would aim and fire so quickly.

Please look at this Youtube video regarding our Jane Doe. Please share it with friends and family. Especially with family who may live in one of the states the isotope testing suspects she spent time in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pUH11QB0O0&feature=youtu.be

C. Brown

Books by C. Brown
Jack the Ripper (You don't know Jack)
Riddled With Bullets (True Story of Clarence Bunch)

I understand that women living alone might be sketched out if they heard a commotion out side their home, but seriously if I heard another woman in distress I’m not sure I’d aim a gun at them. The unidentified was around their age and yelling “he has a knife” , I just find the situation weird that she would aim and fire so quickly.

The women could've believed that it was a lie to gain entrance to the house. Just because a woman was claiming something to other women, doesn't make it automatically true. There have been plenty of female confederates to male robbers, bashers and killers over the years. The women in the house understood that. Even the police believe shooting SJD was self-defence.

Certainly it would be a frighting situation to have someone on your front porch, banging/grabbing/pulling at your door, and screaming. Exspecially living in the middle of nowhere.

It's certainly quaint and charming to believe a woman won't do anything bad to another woman.

I agree.
The "story" is the gal had been robbed before. Maybe C. Walter Brown can find proof of that.
I haven't had a chance to read the articles in the video.

It's certainly quaint and charming to believe a woman won't do anything bad to another woman.

I live very rural, I’m of similar age to the female that shot the unidentified and I possess a gun. I’ve been in a similar position at night alone. While I was alarmed and did call the cops, it wasn’t my first instinct to shoot the lady on my porch, but I was cautious of the situation.

All in all it was a domestic and the lady, who was from out of state,fled a campsite miles away and ended up distressed and lost. By the time she found a house to go to she was in straight panic mode and was banging on my door screaming for help. While I didn’t know the situation she was in I didn’t shoot and she got to go home that night.

So while my thought process might be different than the girl who shot Jane Doe, not every situation is a fatal one. I’m just wondering what about her was alarming enough to shoot? Only the people involved know for sure. Was it common in this area for people to rob occupied houses?

I actually live here in Knox County and came across this case while researching my next book. This girl stuck in my head for some reason. I am leaning toward another track. I am wondering why this young lady was not reported missing. I believe she wasn't as many of you and I again have been through the databases. I recently applied to Interpol just in case she was from Canada. Working hypothesis....Injuries (previous healed) sustained in car crash. Was she left an orphan of a state? In the early 80's some children's homes still existed. Lets say she timed out of the home (turned 18). I have seen cases where these unfortunates were given money, a change of cloths and let loose to find their own way. Could this be the source of her medical treatment? Was there nobody left to say that she was missing? Just a theory. But I am trying to get a friend at Local LE to submit the BH tattoo to the Fusion Center in Nashville. This will tell us if there is a match of this tattoo to a previous arrest before 1987 in TN and surrounding states. I am at the newspaper archive right now and will write up a reported chronological set of events when I have it compiled. Oh and local authorities at the time tell me they don't think if she was homeless, that she had been homeless long.

Go back to the autopsy report, it said she had a c-section scar, her female parts were still there but in rough shape if I remember right. She either has a child somewhere or gave a child up to adoption. Hard to say in 1987, my generation wasn't adopting our kids out like older generations.

We can't say she may have tried to commit suicide because there's nothing to show that her injuries were at the same time. Why would they fix her ankle but not her back? My daughter busted her same wrist by hitting it on her headboard, multiple times. I broke my leg in 3 places riding my bicycle. She could have been clumsy or she could have been the victim of domestic violence.

Thanks for the articles you found. It sure seems like the gal charged was eventually let go when they found the 2nd guy.

Problem with relying on Isotopes is that they say where she spent most of her time. I can't rely on that to determine where she was reported missing from.

It's a good place to start. Too bad they didn't do isotopes on her hair or finger nails and pollen on her clothes.

It seems that there is a police report at that house about two months before for burglary. I guess we could make the case that she was jumpy. In 1987, the area she lived in was sparce, her nearest neighbor would have been quite a way off. Today the area is house to house as two subdivisions.

I live very rural, I’m of similar age to the female that shot the unidentified and I possess a gun. I’ve been in a similar position at night alone. While I was alarmed and did call the cops, it wasn’t my first instinct to shoot the lady on my porch, but I was cautious of the situation.

All in all it was a domestic and the lady, who was from out of state,fled a campsite miles away and ended up distressed and lost. By the time she found a house to go to she was in straight panic mode and was banging on my door screaming for help. While I didn’t know the situation she was in I didn’t shoot and she got to go home that night.

So while my thought process might be different than the girl who shot Jane Doe, not every situation is a fatal one. I’m just wondering what about her was alarming enough to shoot? Only the people involved know for sure. Was it common in this area for people to rob occupied houses?

That is some what true. She was the one with the shotgun, and could have asked some questions.

It seems that there is a police report at that house about two months before for burglary. I guess we could make the case that she was jumpy. In 1987, the area she lived in was sparce, her nearest neighbor would have been quite a way off. Today the area is house to house as two subdivisions.

Are you in contact with her LE?

Yes various people there help me look up things.

There is a new organization called DNA Doe Project that is trying to identify Does using the family tree DNA site GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis. One co-owner is Colleen Fitzpatrick who identified Lori Ruff this way.

I suggested her to them. I think it would be better if LE makes contact with them as they have a long list of UP's suggested. LE can email them at: admin@dnadoeproject.org for more information

If you haven't heard, they ran Lyle Stevik (March 22) and Buckskin Girl's (Thursday) DNA thru GEDmatch. They know Lyle's Y-DNA haplogroup: R1b-DF81 and his mitochondrial DNA haplogroup, which is B2a; most commonly found among Native Americans in the Southwest US and Northern Mexico. See the article to read more - Internet sleuths, DNA link John Doe to Northern New Mexico

Someone posted on Buckskin Girl's FB page that their mom got a call from LE on Good Friday saying a relative matched BG's DNA on GEDmatch. The posts have been removed due to family being harassed. DNA Doe Project can not confirm the match; it would be LE's job and the DNA has to be a CODIS match; so they have to do a missing person's report, then take the mothers DNA. It could be a long process.

Anyway, I'd love to see SJD run thru GEDmatch. LE has done whatever they could to ID her with isotopes. I do wonder if they'd also consider having pollen done on her clothes/ shoes.

DNA Doe Project cases
DNA Doe Project Facebook

It is the LE's belief that the clothes she was in were given to her by the two men. Shoes? Don't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back