Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No Pearly; I haven't heard back from anyone!! I called and left another voicemail with Detective Moyers, just now! Hopefully, he'll call back before the weekend is up!
Back to hurry up and wait.....:woohoo:

Very exciting news...sent an email to Lee Jantz the ME in Tennessee Jane's case about progress being made with regards to the comparison with Barbara Jean Monaco.

She has been and still is out of town on training but we shoud know something (even in relation to progress) sometime this week. Hopefully some answers for both parties!

Pearly:)

We should hear something this week as to whether or not Jane Doe matches Barbara Jean. Fingers crossed :)

I want to keep this girl in on the first page!
I have emailed LE and ME again today to try and get some sort of update for Tennessee Jane hopefully some answers soon.
P

Has there been any updates to this submissin?

If not, i have a theory to throw out there... JMHO

Could she have been suffering from Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder? As a nurse, and someone who lives with Bipolar Disorder, I can attest to the fact that in extreme flair ups of either condition, ESPECIALLY with someone not on medication on a fairly regular basis, there can be inexplicable mood swings, irrational behavior, and frequently unexplained "freaking out" episodes (yes I realize that is not quite a medical description, but it is fairly accurate of a description). Alcohol, in any ammount, can aslo fuel these behaviors for someone with either condition. This could account for her not heeding the warning fromthe homeowner that she would shoot... In that state of mind, she would not have been able to concretly understand the irrationality of her actions.

This also could be an explaination as to why the 2 men with her didn't know her name. It is not uncommon to have someone in the midst of a Schizophrenic Episode or a Manic Episode to be out of touch with reality enough to forego formal introductions. I have taken care of patients with Bipolar who were in the midsts of Manic episodes where many of their faculities were inhibited while others were -how to put it- very enhanced.

It is just a consideration for all, since so many things about this case are out of the ordinary.

I agree with you Madea--something is fishy here, but I also think the older guy was involved too. Did they do a rape kit on her? Did the men state if they had sexual contact with her? Why would LE just believe these guys and not suspect that there was some ulterior motive with them?? Did LE know them personally and therefore would not suspect them? I too think she was running from them and trying to get away. It is a shame that the homeowner did not try to understand what she was yelling, she may have been begging for help. Why did the home owner automatically assume that the girl was trouble, and not in trouble?

we think alike julessleuther

as i was reading i was getting ready to ask the same thing
was she tested for rape

and also i have been thinking for awhile i know its off the wall
but, would a dna test show if the girl was related to men she was with
cousins or sister

I submitted Kathy Wilcox for this UID this morning. Kathy also had healed fractures in both her "legs." The UID had apparently broken her "ankles" at some point in time.

UID was found 15 years after Kathy went missing - so it is probably a long shot, but the previous injuries and the height, weight, age were very similar.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wilcox_kathy.html

Salem

She could have been on painkillers for her previous injuries, ran out of them and couldn't afford a refill, IDK, but drinking may have been a way to numb her pains.

If she was on pain killers, they should show in testing. Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure they stay in your system for a few weeks.

:waitasec: I have my doubts about younger mans total story! Yes she ran from him and the building, twice, but why??? Why would a girl run from her only transportation out of a place she was totally unfamiliar with (Investigators are sure she wasn't from TN) and take a chance on getting completely lost, albeit inebriated, unless she was desperate and scared? I believe she was more scared than she was inebriated.... I'm guessing the younger man gave her a valid reason to RUN and he's not admitting, ever, what that reason was!! If younger was totally innocent, why then, would charges have to be placed on him by the LE, in order to get him to come back to be re-interviewed? The LE didn't have to do that with the older man!!

I think the whole thing is fishy.

Thank you so much for all of these details.
Is it possible for a mod to edit the 1st post and add some of the newer info?

Yeehaw!!! :woohoo: I finally spoke with Det. Moyers, with Knox County Sheriffs Office, very friendly and accomodating fella! He says the men that Jane was with, one was an older (around 60) man(the vehicle belonged to him) and he had been driven by the younger man (in his late 20's) back to TN. from KY. and the vehicle was not at this home at the time of Janes shooting. The older man had a business not far from the home where Jane was shot. The building they(Jane and men) originally were at, was a place they (the men) would sometimes party at. The men picked Jane up at a Rest Area (just off exit 4)about 4-5 hours the evening before, to give her a ride, however she agreed to "party" with them, so the men took her with them to this building. At the time that they picked her up, the men said she appeared to be high(the Detective will get back to me on toxicology report) and later she started acting even more strange and took off, the younger man, caught up with her and talked her into coming back to the building, it was late, the younger man tells her that she could get arrested or SHOT roaming around this particular neighborhood, as it was off the beaten path and the folks around there all had guns and were VERY protective of their property. Jane remained at the building awhile and then just went berserk, the younger man says, for no "reason" and takes off again on foot, the younger goes after her again, Jane ends up at this house, the younger is arguing with her about coming back to the building, Janes wraps her arms around a post on the porch and tells him, she is not leaving the home, so he turns to head back to the building, Jane is screaming at him, Homeowner gets awakened, Homeowner calls 911 and arms themselves, at the same time yelling through the door that she (homeowner) is armed and calling the Sheriff, younger man yells back, CALL them, I can't do anything with her and continues to walk away, all this can be heard on the 911 tape, Homeowner then says Jane is trying to come through the door, kicking on the door, Homeowner tells Jane, Stop or I'll shoot, Jane doesn't stop and gets shot. The investigators came to the conclusion that Jane was having a "mental" episode before being picked up and during her time with these men.

Jane's clothes were dingy and believed to have been worn for days, the men had given her the Dolphins shirt and the pants she was wearing were well-worn and thin. This younger man had a lengthy criminal record, but nothing violent, mostly petty theft and misdemeanors. The younger man was originally charged with attempted burglary to get him to come back in and give an interview with Detectives, charges were dropped after he cooperated with the investigation. So, no trial for either men. The men do not recall if Jane ever told them her name......

Jane's body details; the Tattoo was homemade, black inked "BJ" (that kind of struck me-Barbara Jean???)and she had given birth at least once, one being a caesarean section, possibly emergency type caesarean, as pelvic bones showed the markings of attempted "normal" birthing. The anthropologist that examined Jane's bones, stated the injuries appeared to be from jumping off of a buildingor high structure, Vertebrae crushed, lower tibias (ankles) being damaged, clavicle (collarbone) fracture and fibula (calf bone) fracture, so Jane may have attempted suicide or had been an athlete (possibly gymnastics) of some sort... The metal plate inserted in fibula did NOT have a serial number on it!
Jane had good teeth and good dental hygiene, no cavities and fairly straight, she did grind her teeth some. Her dentals are available now and DNA is being processed. They have her fingerprints and ran them through AFIS, nothing. However, if Jane had a juvenile record and the Investigators had an idea of where she was from, they could try to match fingerprints that way as juveniles fingerprints are NOT entered into the system, unless tried and convicted as an adult criminal....
Detective Moyers welcomes all viable matches, as they have had few leads on this Jane. I asked Det. Moyers if there had been any festivals or concerts in the area, the week or two before Janes death, NO was the answer to that. Investigators believe Jane was hitch-hiking via truckers/travelers before arriving at the rest area and is not from TN.

Pearly; Barbara Jean looks so close to Jane, I say, SUBMIT her! Strange things happen all the time! If this Jane was on pain meds because of her injuries, that very well could be a reason she was "mental" and it's possible Barbara Jean was injured during an escape, hospitalized, became confused/amnesiatic and wondered around, I have imagined some crazy theories...... Moore Jr, could've told the "story" of Barabara Jeans murder, staged the roped cinder block in the lake, hoping that he would receive the reward money!

Pearly; Billie Jean Hall, Patricia Louise Kelly and June Carpenter Gilkerson have been ruled out, correct?

Wanted to bump this info.. not sure I remembered seeing it.
It gives a time.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/May/20/unclaimed-unnamed/
Unclaimed, unnamed
Law enforcement agencies face startling numbers and staggering odds to identify young female 'Jane Does'
ANSLEY HAMAN, hamana@knews.com
Sunday, May 20, 2007

JELLICO, Tenn. - 'Shotgun female' Around 2:30 a.m. June 1, 1987, a 12-gauge shotgun slug blew through the front door of a North Knox County home, ripping the face off a woman raising a ruckus on the porch.

Knox County Sheriff's Office authorities speculated at the time that the unidentified woman and two male accomplices were attempting to trick and rob the resident on Jim Sterchi Road by faking a fight outside her front door.

The woman kicked the door, awakening the resident and a visitor. The resident called police and fired one shot from a shotgun when the woman attempted to open a screen door.

The two men were caught. But they were unable to identify the woman. They said they had picked her up at a Greene County rest stop just before the shooting.

Jantz, of the UT Forensic Anthropology Center, said she and her colleagues dubbed the dead woman "Shotgun Female."

The case is archived in Sheriff's Office records, and spokeswoman Martha Dooley said the department follows up on all leads on the woman's identity.

A UT forensic anthropology student generated a computer reconstruction of the woman in the early 1990s.

Ansley Haman may be reached at 865-342-6341. K

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/May/20/unclaimed-unnamed

Do we have a list of who has been submitted and ruled out?

I'm still liking Jennifer Pandos, the only thing that gets me is the age - Jennifer was 15, they say Shotgun Doe was 20-30.

I'm going to see what else I can find on Pandos; there isn't a lot on her.

FWIW, I used to be pretty wild when I was younger. She could have been really stressed out, add to it the alcohol. I don't believe these guys didn't get her name & I think they know more then what they've said.

Thanks for the articles!

I have looked at Jennifer Pandos and while she fits in some ways, she doesn't have the same injuries listed as Jane Doe.

I'm really stuck on those injuries!

There's not a lot on Jennifer.
I wouldn't doubt injuries were withheld.
I'm rereading the post.
I have permission to post in a family of the missing message board.
Trying to get the facts needed.

More info re: Kimberly Thompson:
http://thetrialwarrior.blogspot.com/2009/11/guest-blogger-alice-de-sturler-cases.html

Quote Alice de Sturler:
And then there is the disappearance of Kimberly Ann Thompson.

I wish I could tell her parents what has happened. Dad distinctively remembers dripping her off at her apartment in early December 1986. When there was no further contact with Kim, who was very close to her parents, Barbara & Clyde Thompson decided to report her missing on December 9, 1986. Kim had been injured on the job and received a worker’s compensation check pending a disability settlement. She had plans to move to sunny California after the settlement. Since Kim had no other financial means to support herself, I don’t think she disappeared voluntarily. Some of Kim’s friends were what you’d call a rough crowd and there is indication she might have been in trouble. A phone call to police said Kim was shot in the chest and buried in an abandoned part of town. Police spent many hours digging, trying to find Kim, hoping to be able to answer all the questions from the Thompsons but alas. Someone knew Kim was coming into money. If only Kim could tell us who.
Endquote

Some of the articles on Kimberly Thompson say she was a prostitute. I wonder if she left to get away from a pimp until she got her settlement money. I wonder when the settlement money was supposed to actually come. The UID was found 6 mos after KT went missing. Maybe it isn't logical to think that KT was hitch hiking around for 6 mos. and then showed up in TN. But what if she was just wasting time until her settlement funds were released and she did not want to run into her pimp or share the money with him? Would she have not called home during those 6 months? Abandoned her apartment, did anyone else live there or just her? Yeah, I guess it is a long shot.

Posting link to the UID's Doe Network page for convenience to compare to Kimberly Thompson.
http://doenetwork.org/cases/607uftn.html

Kimberly Thompson Pic here:
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200401338S

Some of the articles on Kimberly Thompson say she was a prostitute. I wonder if she left to get away from a pimp until she got her settlement money. I wonder when the settlement money was supposed to actually come. The UID was found 6 mos after KT went missing. Maybe it isn't logical to think that KT was hitch hiking around for 6 mos. and then showed up in TN. But what if she was just wasting time until her settlement funds were released and she did not want to run into her pimp or share the money with him? Would she have not called home during those 6 months? Abandoned her apartment, did anyone else live there or just her? Yeah, I guess it is a long shot.

Posting link to the UID's Doe Network page for convenience to compare to Kimberly Thompson.
http://doenetwork.org/cases/607uftn.html

Kimberly Thompson Pic here:
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200401338S
KT and TN Jane look similar, here is a side by side;

Attachments

• Kimberly Ann Thompson and Tenn Shotgun Jane.jpg
    Kimberly Ann Thompson and Tenn Shotgun Jane.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 121

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online