TN TN - Martha 'Leanne' Green, 17, White Bluff, 15 April 1987

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is a listing for a Lawson Green in White Bluff on zabba search. I wonder if he has ever checked out the boards???

Does anyone think this is a possibility doenetwork case 607uftn?

I suppose that it might be possible, but there isn't much description or information on the Jane Doe. The dates certainly put the cases close together.

Note that in the Jane Doe 607 case summary it states that two guys claimed to have picked her up at a rest stop in Greene County, TN. Two years earlier another young Jane Doe was found in Greene County and the case remains unsolved.

Below is a recap of what is in the Doenetwork regarding the unknown girl you mentioned...

-----------------------
Unidentified Female
The victim was discovered on June 1, 1987 in Knox County, Tennessee

Case History

The victim was killed by a shotgun on Jim Sterchi Road in North Knox County in 1987. Authorities speculated at the time that the unidentified woman and two male accomplices were attempting to trick and rob the resident on Jim Sterchi Road by faking a fight outside her front door.

The woman kicked the door, awakening the resident and a visitor. The resident called police and fired one shot from a shotgun when the woman attempted to open a screen door.

The two men were caught. But they were unable to identify the woman. They said they had picked her up at a Greene County rest stop just before the shooting.

She remains unidentified.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:

Knoxville Police Department
865-215-7317

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Source Information:
Knox News
The Doe Network: Case File 607UFTN

LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/607uftn.html

What should we do?

The investigating officers for Martha Leanne Green, case are Dickson County Sheriff's Office Detective Tom Wall 615-789-4130
OR
Tennessee Bureau of Investigation 615-952-4989

The Law Enforcement agency with jurisdiction and case files for the Unidentified girl is the Knoxville Police Department, 865-215-7317

If you think that it is a good possible match, call one or all of them and ask to speak with the case officer, then pass on the information. If they have already checked into it, they will probably tell you.

The big thing is don't ASSUME that they have already checked it out. I have found that cold case officers are rotated often, and it is just as possible to get a brand new officer as an old hand.

Richard, Would you be willing to phone it in? I have never done this before and don't know what to say to them.

I submited it to the doenetwork and they said they were submiting it to the match panel. Does anybody knows what this means?

I was going over this old thread, and it appears nobody actually called this in as a possible match, although others suggested that someone call it in.

Unidentified Female killed by shotgun blast to the head during a failed home invasion. Two accomplices were arrested, and claim that they picked her up at a rest stop and did not know her.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/607uftn.html
http://www.knoxsheriff.org/content/view/152/44/

Martha Leanne Green
http://www.find-missing-children.org/Posters/poster329.htm
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/green_martha.html

The one thing that strikes me is that Martha's eyebrows are unusually full for a female, and they are a precise match to those on the Jane Doe. They also have similar face shapes, noses, and wavy hair. Jane Doe was approximately 5'5", and the Charley Project lists Martha as 5'6" (although the find-missing-children.org poster lists her as 5'8"). Martha and Jane Doe are both listed at (or about) 120 lbs.

I envision a scenario in which the two "accomplices" kidnapped her and forced her to assist them in the home invasion. When she was killed by the homeowner, the "accomplices" did not want to admit to having kidnapped her, but instead concocted a story about meeting her at a rest-stop.

The negatives that I can see are the suspected perp who "confessed" to her murder, but was unable to lead authorities to a body, and the medical hardware in the ankle of Jane Doe and the initials "BH" tattooed on her arm, none of which are mentioned in Martha's profile. Also, Jane Doe is estimated to be a bit older and her hair is a little lighter in color. None of these negatives are necessarily exclusionary.

Does anyone know if this possible match has ever been called in or resolved?

I would be glad to call it in if no-one else has.

You know what's funny about this is her picture reminded me of a girl I went to high school with in Virginia. I got out my yearbook and found her and her name was Martha. However, the dates don't match up because she was already at my school in 1985 so it couldn't be her. Weird coincidence. I was about to run off on a wild goose chase until I noticed the date discrepancy. Another weird coincidence was that the area in Virginia where she lived was not really all that far away from the area in Tennessee where she disappeared. But it can't be her because of the dates.

Very good point. I suppose that by keeping the story in the public eye we may someday have someone decide to come forward with actual info about the case.

In the meantime I wonder if anyone actually saw her with her brother when they stopped for gas. If she was not really with him at that point it would be easy to pull in to a gas station and buy gas and then go back to the car a moment and then come back inside the gas station/convenience store and act worried and say your sister disappeared. Everyone gets excited looking for an evil abductor that was never really there, and some criminal sitting in jail decides he wants some outings so he "confesses" to the crime but needs several trips to lead investigators to the body but he can never quite manage to find the body. And in all the hubub no one thinks to check back to where she was last seen by witnesses, other than her brother.

Too bad no one has mentioned any security pics or tape of them where they bought gas.

She could just be a runaway too.

I don't think Elvis and his UFO buds got her but there are actually people out there who believe such things are happening.

Maybe the man that confessed to killing her actually did the crime and was only toying with L.E. before someday revealing the location of the body. He would need to have known something about herself or her body that only family would know to make that very believable, otherwise its just another wild story by an inmate who wants to play.

i know a little about the story even though i was only a small child when this took place leann and her brother was drivin on hwy 46 when the car ran out of gas her brother walked to the gas station up the road about a half mile and when he returned she was missing the police reports also say that there was fresh crashes on the side going to the end like maybe her pants button crashed it i know that her family was completely out of the question due to the fact her brother was in the gas station and the rest was together i will try to find more info on the since i do live in dickson and can get into public record....she didnt run away she was taken they thought she was taken by a truck driver due to a truck stop was right across the hwy

Can somebody tell me what sort of graphic the morgue photo is before I look at it? is it cut up, blown apart graphic; decomposed graphic, or both? Or is it called graphic cause its an obviously dead person without 'life' edited into the eyes? TIA.

Any updates on this case of Martha Leanne Green of White Bluff, Tennessee who went missing on April 15th, 1987? Was the possible match mentioned in this thread ever called in?

I looked at online maps to see the area. Included link to googlemaps that shows three routes they could have took from the Holiday Inn to White Bluff:
2 Mile Rd to White Bluff, TN - Google Maps

The "Old Columbia Rd" route is one that would've taken them past the truck stop. Whichever route they took, they must've ran out of gas just after she was picked up. The truck stop (if it was in the same location as today) was just across the I-40 exit from the Holiday Inn.
(**I thought the link I included would be an actual link to google, but it was an embedded map. It only highlights the "shortest route" and not the Old Columbia Rd one. The shortest one doesn't even pass the truck stop, which is why I thought they'd take the other way. Sorry**)

I guess a large truck stop could've had security cameras back then, but most places in my area didn't. Rural Tennessee shouldn't have been much different from rural Kentucky. Around here today, I know of many businesses that have "dummy" cameras that mainly are there just to scare shoplifters into thinking they're being watched. So I don't think there were ever any good pics/video that could've helped the investigation

This incident happened about a couple miles from where I grew up, and although I didn't know her personally, she was a friend of the family. as far as the location, please keep in mind, this happened about a mile from interstate 40 on hwy 46. In 1987 there was no need for the video recordings at gas stations where this incident took place, it was a different time then. I have followed this case for many many years and can tell you without a doubt she was no runaway. At the same time I can only speculate as to what actually happened.

What was the age of this brother (obviously, at least 16)?
** They were twins

Did they run out of gas along the highway or did they actually pull into a gas station?
**They ran out of gas shortly after her brothers picked her up from work. It was also a downpour at the time.

If they pulled into a gas station for gas, let's think about that one. I have never pumped gas at a station where the pumps were not visible from the clerk's counter and almost the entire store. HMMMM?
**They didn't pull into the gas station, they ran out of gas on highway 46.

9:00 pm is not an ungodly hour in any place. Someone had to have been around buying gas too or a gallon of milk or whatever....
**This was a gas station not a grocery store, they didn't sell that type of stuff. If i remember correctly at that specific gas station, you would be lucky if they had soda and chips, but definatly nothing else. There was a Gas + Grocery store just down the road though, so this particular gas station was not at all a busy one.

This sounds very UNinvestigated to me!
**I agree

JBanks,

Welcome to Websleuths. And thanks for the additional information on this case.

Bumping this case up. It has been 27 years since Martha went missing.

There have been some previous attempts to match her case with those of some others. Has anyone heard how those turned out?

This interview was done in April. I don't know if it was uploaded online; I would be interested in listening to the conversation.

Investigators to speak for first time on 28th anniversary of disappearance of Leanne Green

http://www.wdkn.com/investigators-to-speak-for-first-time-on-28th-anniversary-of-disappearance-of-leanne-green/

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has classified the case as “administratively closed, subject to re-opening with new information,” or what is commonly known as a “cold case.” The Dickson County Sheriff’s Office says the number of tips has dwindled over the last quarter century but it still checks out every lead and follows up on any reports of human remains found in Middle Tennessee.

On Wednesday’s anniversary of Leanne Green’s disappearance, the Power Lunch on WDKN and 101.5 The One FM will look back over the last 28 years with three men whose careers are intertwined with the mystery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back