Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #15 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HLN (on TV) has announced that she has arrived. Family having a difficult time trying to meet up with her. Being told to go here, go there, etc.
I have the feeling that this may not be a very happy reunion. Only because her head must be swirling, can you imagine?
It seemed from her SM that she was pretty bamboozled by this man. She very well could be sympathizing with him, mourning, scared, confused. That poor child. I think of myself at 15 and can't imagine how I would have handled any of this.
She may be a bit standoffish with her loved ones.
I wish her peace.

I know her loved ones are desperate to be with her and absolutely deserve to see her after her ordeal but I have to wonder if the reunion plan was thought out well enough (basing my thoughts from this description). MCET woke up only yesterday as an abductee. Twenty four hours or so later she's going to be thrown in room with a large amount of people and even larger amount of attention. Could the re-introduction not have gone slower and more methodically, I wonder? Maybe they could have flown her father to CA so he could accompany her on the flight back then she could gradually meet up with her siblings and others? Anyway, I'm praying that counseling begins asap and that it is long-term and of the highest quality possible.

Former FBI agent on HLN says it's very odd to not reunite family in situations like these.

It is a long process and isn't always as effective as one would like. Deprogramming takes MUCH longer than the grooming process. Essentially, separation from the threat comes first, then establishing a safe place and easy rapport with a therapist and finally allowing the processing by the victim to occur while attempting to reintegrate her back into her family. In situations with younger people, the full realization of being taken advantage of does not come to pass until years into adulthood. It is an ongoing process and will take great effort by a competent professional or team of professionals and complete buy-in of her family. (I've been a mental health nurse for 22 years, 5 additional years with specialty in adolescents)

While I agree with you from a legal stance, I think that whether or not ET left willingly is germane to the discussion about her mindset and recovery.

My honest opinion is that over the course of several months, this vulnerable child was being brainwashed and groomed by TC to the point that she fancied herself in love and, as referenced by recent articles, is on a bit of an emotional roller coaster.

I would imagine her healing would take a different path than say, a young girl taken and assaulted by a random unknown perp and then rescued.

Both are horrific, but I can believe the emotional responses would be very different.

Does anyone with a psych background know how victims of this type of brainwashing are generally treated (therapy-wise)? Is it a very long process?

Thanks in advance.

It is a long process and isn't always as effective as one would like. Deprogramming takes MUCH longer than the grooming process. Essentially, separation from the threat comes first, then establishing a safe place and easy rapport with a therapist and finally allowing the processing by the victim to occur while attempting to reintegrate her back into her family. In situations with younger people, the full realization of being taken advantage of does not come to pass until years into adulthood. It is an ongoing process and will take great effort by a competent professional or team of professionals and complete buy-in of her family. (I've been a mental health nurse for 22 years, 5 additional years with specialty in adolescents)

Great to have you weigh in with an expert opinion!

I'm sure that the media swarm is less than helpful. Back off, and give ET some space!

psych-nurse, thank you for this. As someone with no experience in this field, I look forward to more information from you.

My understand was that she may be reluctant to speak about what happened and that her family may have that effect or influence to not be able to speak to LE
I know her loved ones are desperate to be with her and absolutely deserve to see her after her ordeal but I have to wonder if the reunion plan was thought out well enough (basing my thoughts from this description). MCET woke up only yesterday as an abductee. Twenty four hours or so later she's going to be thrown in room with a large amount of people and even larger amount of attention. Could the re-introduction not have gone slower and more methodically, I wonder? Maybe they could have flown her father to CA so he could accompany her on the flight back then she could gradually meet up with her siblings and others? Anyway, I'm praying that counseling begins asap and that it is long-term and of the highest quality possible.

Any word on whether Mr. Barry is going to get the reward money? He should.

FWIW, I think he was also 18. Possibly 19?

TC was 19, I believe. They were definitely both kids essentially. I was just trying to make a point about his ingrained personality traits that have probably been there since forever. There's just something about getting married ON her 18th birthday that strikes me as symbolic, I guess.

Former FBI agent on HLN says it's very odd to not reunite family in situations like these.

She was "collecting" rocks of all the places they'd been. Very much like the #ohtheplaces on IG. LE said her emotions were all over the place and it was clear they were in a "relationship" it could be that she is refusing to see family because they brought her back home? idk

She was "collecting" rocks of all the places they'd been. Very much like the #ohtheplaces on IG. LE said her emotions were all over the place and it was clear they were in a "relationship" it could be that she is refusing to see family because they brought her back home? idk

Could be. I guess we will have to wait for an explanation, or hopefully a reunion soon.

Also hope MCET's loved ones were prepped by professionals on how to approach and treat MCET going forward. She is a trauma survivor and should be treated as such.

Has there been much discussion re taking ET name off the title? I'm beginning to see news reports that no longer identify her by name because of the situation.

Clearly her name has been out there for 40 days now but it IS a different situation now sorta.

Yes, there has been. Will perhaps take a few days for mods to do such, to let everyone catch up?

Some missing teen threads I have followed, the threads were closed.. or one recent one from Florida went poof when she was found.

imo.

My guess..title will change to his name by next week?

:moo:

Yes, there has been. Will perhaps take a few days for mods to do such, to let everyone catch up?

Some missing teen threads I have followed, the threads were closed.. or one recent one from Florida went poof when she was found.

imo.

My guess..title will change to his name by next week?

:moo:

Ok thanks. My hopes is its changed asap. The discussion last night was a bit much for a family to read especially ET.
IMO.

I am actually hoping ET is NOT thrown back in with her family immediately.

While I am certain her family wants to see her immediately - ET has been through hell. Even if she doesn't realize it yet. And from all accounts, ET's homelife very well could have been the root of this whole ordeal. While I place no blame on her dad (it was her mother, after all) she could very well be feeling like Dad didn't do anything to prevent the abuse. Again, not blaming dad - but trying to see how ET could feel.

I also suspect ET is choosing not to see her family. IMHO. She could very well be pissed that she can no longer be with TC.

I say give them all time and all get started in Therapy. This is going to be a long road to healing for all involved. No need to rush anything.

TC told her that she had no future in that area.....and we have no idea what else he imprinted upon her. She may feel guilty for his incarceration. Poor kid. JMO

While I look forward to updates.. I :pullhair: with media promoting talking head experts such as this that add drama.

I Wish Jaycee Duggards foundation was now contacted and involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman