Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This relationship has a high potential for conflicted feelings. Strong romantic feelings could be mixed with uneasiness, even fear. As we all know her feelings could also die. This is all a recipe for disaster. JMO

She told my younger sister that if she wasn't home by 6:00 to call the police. Call for help I think was her exact words," James Thomas said.

[http://www]

She also wanted to make plans with friends but said that if it was after Monday, she wouldn't be allowed.
interpret it as she didn't think that she needed to leave with him. I think she had no intention of leaving the family, and if she knew about it, she knew it was a bad idea and that she did not want to go," James Thomas said.
http://www.wbir.com/mb/news/nation-...ters-statement-before-disappearance/424224308

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

"Apprentice Occupational Educ" on 09/20/11 with an expiration date of 08/31/16 - marked INACTIVE/SUPERSEDED
"Professional Occupational Educ" on 08/14/14 with an expiration date of 08/31/24 - marked ACTIVE

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/education/attachments/cte_lic_occupational_req_adv_prof.pdf

So he started as a teach with the Apprentice, then after 3 years was able to bump up to Professional.

I still don't see how someone with a 2 year specialized AAS degree in respiratory therapy was able to obtain a job as a high school teacher.
Depending on the state and sometimes down to the county level, all you need is a high school diploma to teach certain classes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If they took this seriously, the father would have been notified immediately. They would have suspended him when she was seen in his classroom. The adult. The person ina position of responsibility. They know the screwed up. They lied through the media about when he was suspended. Why do you think that is? Because they didn't handle it properly and they were saving face. I'm sure we will never agree and thus and that's fine, but the information is there.

^THIS. Her father should have been notified IMMEDIATELY, and that should be policy!

Depending on the state and sometimes down to the county level, all you need is a high school diploma to teach certain classes.

I guess that's how they do things in Tennessee. His records state his wife is a member of the MC Board of Education, at the time of his initial hire in 2011.

^THIS. Her father should have been notified IMMEDIATELY, and that should be policy!

According to the letter, the superintendent's office was "surprised" that the principal had not contacted the family.

I guess that's how they do things in Tennessee. His records state his wife is a member of the MC Board of Education, at the time of his initial hire in 2011.
Some of the small towns are a political mess with mayor on down the school board.

Sadly it is. We have many unqualified teachers in our classroom and some who couldn't get past a background check. IMO My 16 year old previous English teacher told him Lincoln was never President.

Hi friends, just new to the case. I am also of the thought that she went as willingly as a stupid teenager can be willing to. Doesn't make it ok or legal, of course. I hope they find them soon. Eventually they will need money and use their cards. Or she will get tired of not seeing her friends and having her creature comforts. I don't even want to think about grimmer outcomes right now.

I feel horrible for the dad --- from the little I have read, here is a guy left with 5 (?) children as mom is charged with neglect etc. He is trying to do the right thing and the school failed him miserably. I feel for him.

Where is the teacher certification? I did not see it. The only certification in his file is for a Licensed Respiratory Therapist. (Page 22 and 23)
On page 26 there is a checkmark next to Occupational Education License (Apprentice Occupational) then on page 28 it appears they are using that License to say it is his teaching license. In the area where it asks for his teacher's license someone made a note and wrote, "needs occupational license".

Is that even valid? Isn't that like saying I should get a teacher's job because I have a drivers license? :p

https://mgtvwkrn.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/thomas-packet-to-media.pdf
When an unlicensed teacher is hired, he/she needs a provisional license from the state board to teach. This is good (in Alabama, anyway) for three years - in the meantime, the teacher is expected to gain the proper professional license, usually through coursework. I imagine TC promised to get a bachelor's degree in that time.

BTW, an RT certification is not trivial. It may be an occupational license, but the coursework and exams are difficult.

I want to say something else about the social media issue. I was a teacher in the northeast and in Alabama. One of the big differences I noted was how connected students and teachers are socially, especially in rural areas. Facebook is a common way to share information, and everyone has a profile. Teachers and students are connected by church, relatives, sports, etc. It is not at all unusual for teachers and students to be FB "friends."

Another thing, though, does strike me as unusual. It would be very strange in Alabama for a student to call a teacher by his first name. Within the school walls, relationships are usually more formal than those I observed in the northeast when I taught there.

Finally, as to the school's response. I saw several unfounded student reports of teacher flirtation, touching, etc., in the South by female students. When pressed, the students admitted they made these allegations up when they were mad at the teacher. This is why the board has to be so careful when they are investigating. A teacher's reputation can be damaged forever just from the allegations, whether or not they are proven true. It would be very difficult for the principal to catch ET in TC's room if the meetings took place right after school. At that time of the day, the principal, vice principal are busiest...they are dealing with parents, buses, detention, etc. And about TC's wife - she was an administrative assistant at central office. I don't know if this is a southern thing, or just not common where I taught in the north, but the central office of every school district is called the Board of Education. TC's wife was not a school board member. I don't know if that makes any difference. I imagine that the fact that she worked in the building where the investigation originated would add to the HR director wanting to treat TC with kid gloves.

One more thought on the school: what bothers me most about the school's response is that ET was allowed to intimidate the 12 year old who reported the incident. School counselors should have been following up with the 12 year old to provide support - they would have learned that ET was bullying the 12 year old and that the 12 year old continued to see ST in TC's classroom.

The person who is most at fault here is, obviously, TC. He was the grownup responsible for creating the boundaries for ET. It is not uncommon for students who have troubles at home to latch on to a favorite teacher. That relationship can be a saving grace for a student like ET. Unfortunately, TC allowed what could have been a healing relationship to evolve into a damaging one.My heart breaks for what ET has probably lived through and what she is going to face in the future.

ETA: All IMO

There is an account on instagram named smithsonlily that likes a lot of his stuff. Private, no pics, doesn't follow anyone.. thinking this could be an alternate account of hers possibly. I mean the person doesn't follow him, but manages to find his account over and over and like his stuff?

Elizabeth... lily..I can see the nickname.

Or I'm way wrong. What do you guys think?

There is an account on instagram named smithsonlily that likes a lot of his stuff. Private, no pics, doesn't follow anyone.. thinking this could be an alternate account of hers possibly. I mean the person doesn't follow him, but manages to find his account over and over and like his stuff?

Elizabeth... lily..I can see the nickname.

Or I'm way wrong. What do you guys think?

Its been stated she goes by multiple like at least 10 nicknames 1 being MC Hammer and they were secretly communicating via Insta so IMO it probably is.

Some of the small towns are a political mess with mayor on down the school board.

I had problems with the school board here. Same thing, my child had a problem with a student who was the son of a "board of education" member and just like in this case, things were brushed to the side.

I should have called LE and not even bothered to go through the guidance office at that school. This was many years ago and I no longer have children in the school system.

It's a shame and probably occurs a lot more than we all know. So when I see it happening, I start steaming.

She went "willingly" in the sense that TC did not hold a gun to her head or a knife to her throat to abduct her.

However, minor children are not at liberty to "willingly" go where they choose, unless they are emancipated by a court. So "willingly" counts for nothing in cases like this.

Totally agree. She's not able to offer true consent at her age. I meant willingly in the sense that she likely didn't resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they took this seriously, the father would have been notified immediately. They would have suspended him when she was seen in his classroom. The adult. The person ina position of responsibility. They know the screwed up. They lied through the media about when he was suspended. Why do you think that is? Because they didn't handle it properly and they were saving face. I'm sure we will never agree and thus and that's fine, but the information is there.

They did suspend him when she was seen in his classroom. The letter is in the media files.

I think this news came out yesterday, if I'm not mistaken, VIA MSM - but that doesn't mean the sibling didn't disclose it to police ASAP.

Agree, because her sister posted about the hair dye days ago.

She also wanted to make plans with friends but said that if it was after Monday, she wouldn't be allowed.
interpret it as she didn't think that she needed to leave with him. I think she had no intention of leaving the family, and if she knew about it, she knew it was a bad idea and that she did not want to go," James Thomas said.[emoji651] [emoji651] [emoji651] [emoji651]

This worries me. Did she know they had a pact to hurt themselves? She felt something her intuition was warning her of something IMO does not sound like a girl desperate to be with her boyfriend MOO[emoji202]

Hi friends, just new to the case. I am also of the thought that she went as willingly as a stupid teenager can be willing to. Doesn't make it ok or legal, of course. I hope they find them soon. Eventually they will need money and use their cards. Or she will get tired of not seeing her friends and having her creature comforts. I don't even want to think about grimmer outcomes right now.

I feel horrible for the dad --- from the little I have read, here is a guy left with 5 (?) children as mom is charged with neglect etc. He is trying to do the right thing and the school failed him miserably. I feel for him.
I believe its 10 from what I've read recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members