TN TN - Michael Hearon, 51, Happy Valley, 23 Aug 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
it does remind me of signal mtn, or was someone growing pot on his land and he found it? if that is what it was, sure don't think it was someone out of happy valley location that was doing that..or at least someone that used to live there and knew the layout of the land and what lands that were not check regularly....or one other possibility, i think, is that someone wanted the land to be eventually sold, or hopeing. just think...if someone owns land (lots of it) that an investor group wants for development...(never been to happy valley, but there are cabin developments all over sevier co, near the smokey mts, happy valley could be the next frontier).....if someone owns alot of land, they disapear, family puts resources into finding that person, guess what??? the missing person's land probably will come up for sell....fairly soon? wild thought...but i have others like that on clinton hwy...land transactions in the last 20 yrs and things that have happened.
bluestarzzz

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20100815/NEWS/308159961

By Chloé Morrison
chloem@thedailytimes.com
Originally published: August 15. 2010 3:01AM
Last modified: August 14. 2010 11:59PM

After two years it isn't any easier for Mike Hearon's family to deal with his disappearance — memories of him and questions about what happened to him are always lingering.
<snipped>
On Aug. 21, he will be missing for two years and his family has organized a “Hike for Mike,” to remember the beloved father, active community member and outdoorsman.

The hike will begin at the Happy Valley Community Club at 10 a.m., and refreshments will be provided afterward.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20100822/NEWS/308229957

From Staff Reports
Originally published: August 22. 2010 3:01AM
Last modified: August 21. 2010 11:40PM

bilde

I don't have any new information on this case, but I just thought I'd add my two cents. I grew up about an hour from Happy Valley and drove through it a number of times, from Maryville en route to the Smoky Mtns, usually the Abrams Creek area. I'll just add my perspective from having lived in the general area.

I think it is important to remember that he had family living close by his property, including his parents. He probably felt safe there. He probably did not worry about leaving his money and gun in his truck, rather than keeping it on him.

From everything I have read on this thread, it sounds to me like the most likely scenario is that Michael saw something out of the ordinary on his drive in to his place (with the trailer). He didn't want to stop with the truck and the trailer, so he went on to his place and then got one of his ATVs instead. Why would he have chosen to investigate with the ATV rather than his truck (he could have left the trailer and gone back with the truck)? Maybe he didn't think what he saw was a threat, and thus left his gun in the truck. If he had felt threatened or was suspicious of something illegal, I imagine he would have just taken his truck (and his gun) when going back to check it out.

I think it is important to note that Happy Valley Rd is a through-road. It is the main route that an outsider or visitor would take when driving through that area. Michael could have seen something along that road that he thought was worth going back to check out. The number of vehicles on Happy Valley Rd would have been far more than on the road where Micheal lived or on Happy Valley Loop. Any vehicles other than locals would have likely been noticed on the side roads; however, lots of outsiders drive down Happy Valley Rd.

Thus, I am a little discouraged, just like everyone else on this thread. The most likely scenario to me is that Michael went back on the ATV to check something out and then ended up in another vehicle. It also sounds to me like the person who abandoned his ATV was not him. Not sure what motive someone would have for abducting a stranger (I find it hard to believe that it was someone who knew him) in a situation like this. Michael apparently did not have money on him and it's not like the ATV was stolen (no one went back for it during the next 3 days).

Very strange indeed.

Saw this missing man on another site while searching for something else. This is just nuts. I suppose you wake up every day, even years later, and wonder what happened to your loved one.

I just discovered this case, I'm very sorry for his family. I'm wondering about the condition of the atv, it seems to be the only tangible evidence to work with here. Its described as resting on a hill in a high gear with they keys in the ignition (ignition on or off, anyone know?) which was not typical of Mikes habits. To me, that sounds like he may have been traveling pretty quickly, then for some reason, fallen off with atv continuing up the hill until it stalled or ran out of gas. Seems like any rider would have likely gone into a lower gear to clear the hill. Does anyone know the type area it was found in? Could it have been traveling in a straight line on that trail when it stopped? Any gas in the atv when found?

Sorry to double post, but I meant to mention the housing crisis. I'm wondering if there were any increasing business pressures for mike as the housing crisis came to a head in the media just after his disappearance. Does anyone know the details of his home building business?

I live in Happy Valley (14 years). The Saturday afternoon Michael went missing, my 6 year old Grandson and I were out in the back yard. We heard some VERY LOUD shouting coming from the woods behind my property, 2 men shouting at the top of their lungs! Very indistinct, couldn't understand a word, but it was very loud and very angry sounding. My big dog, a Lab mix, took off running towards the shouting, and I was so frightened that I made my grandson go into the house. (It made such an impression on him that he STILL remembers it.) My property backs up to the area where the ATV was found. I contacted Michaels mom who in turn contacted the BCSO. They came out and interviewed me, and two officers did a "shouting test" to see if they could hear one another from my property to the area where the ATV was found. They said they could not. What has always stuck in my mind, is whether some one (or some thing) could have dragged Michael to the area where i heard the loud shouting. I firmly believe that what I heard that day has something to do with his disappearance. And what really disturbs me is the fact that my 80 lb dog went sprinting into the woods! She will chase deer and bears, but as far as I know, she has never gone after a human. In this Valley, sound travels very far. They don't call these places "hollers" for nothing. In the days before telephones, mountain people would "holler" to each other to get help, borrow a tool or horse, or just communicate.
My dog has also brought very large bones to the house which I turned over to the BCSO. I never heard back from them, so I assume they were animal bones.
Another very strange thing my Grandson and I found in the woods was a life-sized ceramic human skull! . Now what in the world would a ceramic skull be doing in the middle of no where?
This case has mystified me since the beginning. All the rest of that summer I watched for vulture activity. The only time I saw any vultures was when a BCSO officer and I walked behind my home and saw 8-10 turkey vultures sitting in a tree. We scared them off and looked around, but didn't find anything. My grandson and I go out in the woods behind my house often
just scouting around looking for any clues that might help find Michael. But so far we have not found anything.

Thanks Smokymtngirl for your insights into this, let me ask you, what does his mom think of what you told her?

BTW...:welcome::greetings:

Lyric... the only thing I haven't told her about was the ceramic skull. The other pieces of info piqued her interest enough to call the BCSO, which in turn called me. She is still holding out hope that Michael will be found. The last time I spoke to
one of the sons, he said he thinks his dad is probably deceased. I see Mrs. Hearon almost every time we go vote at the Happy Valley Community Center. The last time I saw her was a few years ago. I think this year I will go on the "Hike for Mike" in August if they have it this year.
Almost every time I look out into my back yard, I think of him. I live off Happy Valley Loop Rd, and the area is solid woods.
Very remote...very eerie.. ..

i have not heard of this case before i live in tn so that is kinda shocking to me that i havent but i live in a diffrent area so im sure thats why but hope something comes to light soon

Hi Smoky, and everyone, welcome the thread! Fascinating post! Are there any prevailing rumors or theories among your neighbors about what happened to Michael?

I am in Nashville now, but lived in east TN from 2009-2013 (Knoxville). Nice to see so many others who are from the area/lived in the area checking in on Michael. It seems like there are an lots of TN residents on WS, but that's probably because I am more aware when someone mentions they live here.

Smoky is this the Hearon's that have like 18 children in their family and own dump trucks?

Lyric... the only thing I haven't told her about was the ceramic skull. The other pieces of info piqued her interest enough to call the BCSO, which in turn called me. She is still holding out hope that Michael will be found. The last time I spoke to
one of the sons, he said he thinks his dad is probably deceased. I see Mrs. Hearon almost every time we go vote at the Happy Valley Community Center. The last time I saw her was a few years ago. I think this year I will go on the "Hike for Mike" in August if they have it this year.
Almost every time I look out into my back yard, I think of him. I live off Happy Valley Loop Rd, and the area is solid woods.
Very remote...very eerie.. ..
Smokymtngirl, thanks for posting this. It sounds like you and your grandson were earwitnesses to Michael's disappearance.
1. Have you ever heard any type of shouting or disturbance while in your yard before?
2. Is the town aptly named? Are the residents of Happy Valley happy? Or are there some known dangerous residents or are disagreements/fights common or are seriously illegal activities taking place?
3. The ceramic skull is creepy! I would never go into the woods again if I found that. Did you call the sheriff? Did you leave it there? No idea how that could be related, but someone needs to know.
4. Do you have a theory on what happened to Michael?
5. Do you have an opinion on how Michael or other residents would react if someone was illegally hunting on their land? Could he have confronted someone about trespassing?
6. Do you hear guns frequently? Since the sound travels so well, can you tell how far away they are (differentiate between a gunshot right behind your house and a gunshot a mile away)? Do you remember hearing gunshots the day you heard the shouting?
Thanks for anything you can answer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway
Back