Found Deceased TN - Noah Chamberlin, 2, Pinson, 14 Jan 2016 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How was that BIG??? Big is we've found Noah. Or we're scaling down/discontinuing the search. There were so many questions popping up about Walmart video, big fans and custody issues. I take it that was all FB rumors since I haven't seen anything about that here.

One thing I noticed was several remarks about the sheriff riding motorcycles with the dad. I don't see anything bad about that but maybe a relationship with the family is why everyone is so adamant that the search and rescue continues long after most searches would be over. Whatever the reason watching all these people and agencies coming together is find Noah warms my heart. Please find this baby

Wasn't that just a question that was posed, but not answered. I think it had a question mark after it not a period as in a statement.

Has LE mentioned cougars yet? Has anyone besides WSers mentioned seeing signs of cougar activity in the immediate area where this child went missing? What I am saying is there will be signs pointing a) to animal activity and b) to an animal attack on a human. If neither of these are present, it is very unlikely it was an animal and he simply got lost in the woods.

I suggest nobody bring up that Noah was carried off by a cougar. The police chief is tired and irritable, and if anybody was to frustrate him any further with rumors about middle aged hotties getting chased by mountain lions, he might just blow his cork and arrest everybody at the press conference because..............well, just because.

I just don't like it when they act frustrated, bothered, irritated, and defensive about rumors, many times with rumors there is a seed of truth to every lie, and many who have listened to rumors get to the bottom of things, the truth. Not saying that anyone is being untruthful, just saying, you need to wade through a sea of poop at times to find the gem hidden in it. I pray they have strength during this very stressful, hard, exhausting time. IMHO
Having been on the other end of the line, weeding through the 1,000th rumor, not having slept in days, while yet another call comes in, telling you that the father is out in the woods right now moving the body, they watched him get out of his truck, when in actuality he is sitting 6 get from you, yea, I wish composure stayed with us all the time, sometimes it just doesn't. You keep listening, but it is a huge drain emotionally, physically and on your resources.

Just got back and am reading backwards trying to catch up - sounds like nothing new. :-(

On the comments earlier about animals - we deal with coyotes a lot in our end of the state and have a little insight. They are very secretive animals. They do not want to be seen or noticed. If one comes into the area and realizes there are people, they freeze or run. They are rarely (never) out in the wild in the daytime unless they are sick. (If they are used to people it is different - they can become beggars.) If the woods were full of searchers into the night, they would not come out in that area to hunt. If a child were alone in the woods (no searchers present) a really hungry coyote might attack him, but typically, if they smell a human, they leave. IF he were attacked by one, as I mentioned earlier, he might not be heard (depending on hills and bottoms). Sounds in the hills just don't carry that far.
Question: Is there any reason that regular citizens (neighbors, volunteers, etc.) COULDN'T search the area on the other side of the road? (Provided the property owner allowed it?)

Thank You.I couldn't hear him real good.I heard tracker dogs? Tracker dogs are not cadaver dogs.

Everything here is so vague, from the dogs to the information about how far into the woods little Noah was lost. Maybe it is from being so involved in the search for Lonzie Barton and the information given out so openly I am having a hard time with the lack of information in this search.

Please be safe little one.

LE searched for Malik Drummond for at least a solid week before they stopped, and they had a cadaver dog
hit on Malik's uncle's truck right away. But they kept searching. So I don't think it's odd for them to keep looking for Noah.

Has LE mentioned cougars yet? Has anyone besides WSers mentioned seeing signs of cougar activity in the immediate area where this child went missing? What I am saying is there will be signs pointing a) to animal activity and b) to an animal attack on a human. If neither of these are present, it is very unlikely it was an animal and he simply got lost in the woods.

I think even Cougar scat can be identified I would have to think they would have checked out if there were any in the area..but who knows at this point.

Thank you everyone who posted updates from the press conference. Appreciate it so very much!

My heart is so heavy with Noah still missing. Show us where you are sweet child!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LE searched for Malik Drummond for at least a solid week before they stopped, and they had a cadaver dog
hit on Malik's uncle's truck right away. But they kept searching. So I don't think it's odd for them to keep looking for Noah.

I for one am glad they are continuing to search, to not search would be shocking. I am merely saying the lack of info is annoying, but it is probably the way this particular sheriffs department deal with the situation. No rights or wrongs.

I wonder two things

- why they still call it a rescue mission? How can a small child survive 5 days in these temperatures?

- why they won't say anything about scents being picked up or not.

I am also wondering why they are still calling it search and rescue. How do they think he could have survived out there this long??

I wasn't able to watch the PC. But it doesn't seem like they gave any new info so what exactly was the point?

Maybe I shouldn't have said they were a joke, but I was referring to how people act like they can pick up even the smallest of scents and then find a person. I even said that they aren't completely useless, but that people give them way too much credit. There are a lot of stories of dogs passing right by people and not being able to smell them. And it's usually not even their fault, but all the other smells that contaminate the area. Fact is, trying to find a person based on an old shirt or teddy bear is very difficult, especially since it's an unfamiliar scent and there are so many around. That's not even including things like the weather ruining it. There is also a debate on if dogs can be used as evidence in court since dogs have a high fail rate finding drugs. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...ug-sniffing-and-bomb-sniffing-dogs-just-props

Point I was trying to make is this... people need to stop acting like dogs are infallible.

BBM - Nothing is infallible - if it were we would have found him the first day. Dogs are a tool - helicopters with infrared capabilites are a tool - even volunteer searchers are a tool - but each and every one has at some time missed something. That does not make them a joke. Sorry but that just hit me the wrong way. I have sent many bloodhounds off to become SAR dogs and have a collection of photos and stories about the people they have found - some in time and some too late. They train very vigorously and the people who work with them are heros in my opinion.

Maybe I shouldn't have said they were a joke, but I was referring to how people act like they can pick up even the smallest of scents and then find a person. I even said that they aren't completely useless, but that people give them way too much credit. There are a lot of stories of dogs passing right by people and not being able to smell them. And it's usually not even their fault, but all the other smells that contaminate the area. Fact is, trying to find a person based on an old shirt or teddy bear is very difficult, especially since it's an unfamiliar scent and there are so many around. That's not even including things like the weather ruining it. There is also a debate on if dogs can be used as evidence in court since dogs have a high fail rate finding drugs. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...ug-sniffing-and-bomb-sniffing-dogs-just-props

Point I was trying to make is this... people need to stop acting like dogs are infallible.

Not infallible, but they're pretty dang remarkable and far better at locating missing persons hidden from view than humans can.

From...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-sense-of-smell.html

"...dogs can detect some odors in parts per trillion. What does that mean in terms we might understand? Well, in her book Inside of a Dog, Alexandra Horowitz, a dog-cognition researcher at Barnard College, writes that while we might notice if our coffee has had a teaspoon of sugar added to it, a dog could detect a teaspoon of sugar in a million gallons of water, or two Olympic-sized pools worth. Another dog scientist likened their ability to catching a whiff of one rotten apple in two million barrels.

"I find it really astonishing that they're able to detect such minute odor discriminations."

Experts have reported incredible true stories about the acuteness of dogs' sense of smell. There's the drug-sniffing dog that "found" a plastic container packed with 35 pounds of marijuana submerged in gasoline within a gas tank."

If a dog can smell and locate marijuana submerged in gallons of gasoline, or detect a spoonful of sugar in water that could fill two Olympic sized swimming pools, that's pretty much a superpower in my book.

I am also wondering why they are still calling it search and rescue. How do they think he could have survived out there this long??

I wasn't able to watch the PC. But it doesn't seem like they gave any new info so what exactly was the point?
Because nobody wants to switch and call it a recovery. Holding out hope, at the end of the day they are human.

(O/T, and in hindsight, I'm sure their hinky meters were up from the start in Malik's case, but they still did an all out full blown massive search covering every square inch in case he did wander off...whatever the reason was behind his disappearance and their suspicions at the time, if any, they still treated it as a search and rescue operation.)

Here's a question (maybe has been asked further back on the thread ... if so, please just ignore)

Suppose Noah had gone for a walk in the woods with his Grandma earlier in the week (surely this was not the only walk in the woods/maybe they visited Grandma often?) ... would the dogs be picking up old scents? I guess the obvious - they haven't found him yet - so even if the dogs are picking up scents, that doesn't really prove anything. Unless it was the one and only time he'd ever been in those woods ... however, if they said that positively NO scents have been picked up, well, that would be another thing.

(sorry if that's illogical)

While researching SAR dogs today, I read somewhere that they are trained to locate the freshest trail. So if they picked up on his scent all over the place, they'd simply alert and follow the path with the freshest trail. I don't think it would prevent the dogs from picking up his scent at all though.

Yes he would not confirm the distance from the house when he went missing. They asked if it was one hundred yards, he said he would not comment, does not want people on Google Earth trying to figure it out. He is tired...at least I hope that is it....IMHO

Reading between the lines here: I think this means they have not been able to confirm he was in the woods to begin with.

While researching SAR dogs today, I read somewhere that they are trained to locate the freshest trail. So if they picked up on his scent all over the place, they'd simply alert and follow the path with the freshest trail. I don't think it would prevent the dogs from picking up his scent at all though.
On theory that is how it is supposed to work. Using dogs is more of an art than a science though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat