Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
frat brothers parents might have deep pockets JMO
I imagine that some of the parents in question are wealthy.

But.... I would put emphasis on your use of "might" when describing the group as a whole. At the end of the day, they are a business fraternity from the University of Missouri. Membership is open to anybody with that major and who possesses a few additional qualification.

Though there is ivy in Missouri, it does not grow with the same level of thickness as with Ivy League schools. My guess is that the financial status of the parents would match the broad income bell curve of the United States. This would include wealthy individuals, but not many.

not to be grim, but how does one come up with this number for a body that was laying in a river for two weeks?

i've seen ranges and disputes over BAC levels, in other cases, taken just a handful of hours after the drinking likely stopped and for living people!

* not disputing the number - I think the video shows he was clearly very, very drunk.
Most disputes or opportunities to challenge BAC levels are breath samples. Living people can be tested by breath and venous blood.
Autopsy allows access to arteries and inside the heart, the best source for testing.

I guess it can vary, but it's going to be pretty close to what it actually was at the time of death. That's really drunk for someone who probably doesn't get drunk like that often.

Usually those calculations are done in things like DUI accidents, and the dispute comes from determining the BAC level at that point, sometimes hours later.
Also, a decomposing body can produce ethanol through anaerobic conditions, like being submerged in water for an extended period. Decomposition can also cause fermentation of blood glucose. There are other types of chemicals that can be found in a body after death that can skew autopsy results, especially in those deaths that can be considered suspicious.

Also, a decomposing body can produce ethanol through anaerobic conditions, like being submerged in water for an extended period. Decomposition can also cause fermentation of blood glucose.
Noting that there are biological events/decomposition, that the ME/pathologist is well aware of, does not equal that this BAC is invalid. Anyone, in a civil case especially, can argue and find an "expert" to claim that a fair estimate of BAC could not be determined.
I don't think it is realized how common BAC's/toxicology are to every autopsy (all work related deaths, all accidental deaths, all crimes for death of victims and suspects, suicides, for criminal, civil and insurance purposes for product/equipment liability, road conditions/construction, etc). Many bodies are recovered from water, hundreds of people die in water every year. Many aren't found for some time, there is nothing unique about this case. MOO
The issues of decomposition, water, fermentation of blood glucose are also explained in the below linked article. The ability of the ME to use the best source is not a mystery.

"The qualitative and quantitative determination of ethanol in postmortem specimens has become a relatively simple analytical procedure and accurate, precise, and specific results are possible [14], [15]. "

Noting that there are biological events/decomposition, that the ME/pathologist is well aware of, does not equal that this BAC is invalid. Anyone, in a civil case especially, can argue and find an "expert" to claim that a fair estimate of BAC could not be determined.
I don't think it is realized how common BAC's/toxicology are to every autopsy (all work related deaths, all accidental deaths, all crimes for death of victims and suspects, suicides, for criminal, civil and insurance purposes for product/equipment liability, road conditions/construction, etc). Many bodies are recovered from water, hundreds of people die in water every year. Many aren't found for some time, there is nothing unique about this case. MOO
The issues of decomposition, water, fermentation of blood glucose are also explained in the below linked article. The ability of the ME to use the best source is not a mystery.

"The qualitative and quantitative determination of ethanol in postmortem specimens has become a relatively simple analytical procedure and accurate, precise, and specific results are possible [14], [15]. "

I'm not disputing the results, I am just saying that other stimuli can affect the results.

I imagine that some of the parents in question are wealthy.

But.... I would put emphasis on your use of "might" when describing the group as a whole. At the end of the day, they are a business fraternity from the University of Missouri. Membership is open to anybody with that major and who possesses a few additional qualification.

Though there is ivy in Missouri, it does not grow with the same level of thickness as with Ivy League schools. My guess is that the financial status of the parents would match the broad income bell curve of the United States. This would include wealthy individuals, but not many.
BBM -
"At the end of the day, they are a business fraternity from the University of Missouri".

From the research I have done, they are primarily a Social Fraternity.

Delta Chi's values (per their National Website):

Friendship
Character
Justice
And to Assist in the Acquisition of a Sound Education

IMO, his Frat Brothers failed him in every way on that fateful trip to Nashville.

I hope the lessons of RS's death will be instrumental to changing and reshaping the future of the Delta Chi Fraternity.

JMO

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thx @MassGuy :) *
So, Med Examiner released BAC level & traces of Delta9. And MoD = accidental.

What about the rest of the A/Rpt?
Any further findings released by Med Examiner?

Anyone?

Riley "... died of accidental drowning and alcohol poisoning, the medical examiner’s office said Tuesday....."
Yes, the whole report is out there. I found it earlier but cant' find it now.

I don't understand how they can sue. He was an adult, making his own adult decisions on a party trip. I get if he was underage, 'forced' for initiation etc, but he wasn't a new member from what i understand and had been on trips before with frat. should FRIENDS have looked out for him, yes, but as an ADULT, you don't always listen to friends when you are inebriated

D9 is the one that will give you a head high. That along with that much alcohol would make a person very unsteady. This was a tragic accident seen quite often in young people who party. I wish other young people would actually learn from those that go before them. They are not as invincible as they like to see themselves.

Do we know the parents are going to sue or do we just know they have hired a private investigator?

I sort of have a theory that would be something that a P.I. could perhaps find out. It is not a crime and not something that would lead to a lawsuit. However, if his parents just wanted more information than they have received from police, a P.I. could probably learn this kind of thing.

I have said a little about my theory and it involves him meeting someone at Riverfront Park and not being able to find RF Park (thus that person might be irrelevant). I am not saying that this explains everything and maybe there is nothing else that could be learned. However, this might be why none of the frat bros went with him. What if he really did not want them to? Obviously, this is just a theory and that's most of it so it's not a well developed complete theory.

But, do they even know exactly where he went into the river? To random people the exact location may not be important, but to his parents i think it would be. (Despite the name, RF Park is probably not where it would have happened; he went past it a good ways on video.)

The police are interested in solving crimes. They found Riley, they don't believe any crime was committed. Therefore, what else can they do? But, that doesn't mean there might not be little bits of information out there.

Personally, i don't think that this information is going to be 100 percent reliable or completely explain everything. But, i think it's possible that's what they are after. Moo

Thx @MassGuy :) *
So, Med Examiner released BAC level & traces of Delta9. And MoD = accidental.

What about the rest of the A/Rpt?
Any further findings released by Med Examiner?

Anyone? TiA

And
"... died of accidental drowning and alcohol poisoning, the medical examiner’s office said Tuesday....."
MEDICAL EXAMINER'S REPORT (Toxicology begins on page 6 of 10):

Linked in this article:

MEDICAL EXAMINER'S REPORT (Toxicology begins on page 6 of 10):

Linked in this article:

page 9 - they found gabapentin?

I don't pretend to understand most of that report but the gabapentin jumped out at me cause I give that to my cats to relax them before vet app'ts!

I don't pretend to understand most of that report but the gabapentin jumped out at me cause I give that to my cats to relax them before vet app'ts!
That is a weird drug for someone his age. Imo

It's a controlled substance now due to this one of its side effects. Some people take it just for the side effect. Therefore, it's abused. People who actually need it probably don't enjoy this side effect because they do not feel well enough to be amorous. (I know someone who worked in pharmacy for many years, they are the one who told me about this.)

ETA: this probably would not affect cats, i imagine they must be taking a very low dose because they're so small.

ETA2: i remember someone tweeted about the THC... And it is there, it's Delta something, idk whatever product like this that is legal in Tennessee (Missouri may be the same).

Last edited:
That is a weird drug for someone his age. Imo

It's a controlled substance now due to this one of its side effects. Some people take it just for the side effect. Therefore, it's abused. People who actually need it probably don't enjoy this side effect because they do not feel well enough to be amorous. (I know someone who worked in pharmacy for many years, they are the one who told me about this.)

ETA: this probably would not affect cats, i imagine they must be taking a very low dose because they're so small.

ETA2: i remember someone tweeted about the THC... And it is there, it's Delta something, idk whatever product like this that is legal in Tennessee (Missouri may be the same).
Recreational marijuana IS legal in Missouri.

I don't think it's saying they found gabapentin, just that it's one of the things they tested for. It isn't included in the list of "positive findings."

I reviewed Riley’s autopsy at Burton Staggs’ X page. Deeply sorry for the loss of this young man’s life. Can’t unsee the video of Riley running, the fall, and being helpless and lost in an unfamiliar city, unaware of his surroundings -- which way to go (?), yet speaking (without pause) to LE.

At the time, you just want to be there to be able to help guide him. It something that stays in memory. I can’t imagine his loved one’s pain. moo

I have now read the autopsy report.

He was wearing his underwear and socks (along with his shirt). I need to know how his boots, belt, and pants are gone? If the river took his boots, belt, and pants then it would have taken the underwear and socks imo.

Imo, he or someone else removed the boots, belt, and pants before he entered the river. If he did it, then ... Idk. If someone else did it, I think it was a robbery imo. I know he still had his watch, but maybe he got away from them or something?

In any case, WHERE are these items (including whatever he had in his pockets)? Granted, they might have been thrown into the river by Riley or another person. But, i can understand how this may leave his parents with some questions.

Moo

Gabapentin was only being tested for, it was not actually found. It is one of the four analytes using the ELISA assay in Test 8042B, the other three being barbiturates, cannabinoids and salicylates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelliWard