TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
We'll never know what or who AH "hated" because her writings were just rants idolizing other mass killers, according to the TBI.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how deranged rants from a mentally ill person aids public understanding. If anything, it sounds to me like a copycat crime that LE are trying to prevent more from happening.

At a meeting of the Tennessee Sheriff’s Association, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director David Rausch said the shooter’s writings were ramblings indicating no clear motive.

Rausch said a review so far of the material found the shooter did not write about specific political, religious or social issues, according to WTVF. Instead, WTVF reported, a primary focus of the journals was idolizing those who committed previous school shootings.

IMO, if nothing else, manifestos (rambling or point by point) give us a more clear understanding of what is in these people's heads. It doesn't really matter if it's sheer evil, bullying, mental illness, what have you. Maybe if people will get behind the 8 ball and see the clues in these manifestos then we, collectively, will have even more tools in our "see something, say something" kit. Mental illness, hatred towards any group of people, being bullied, etc. does NOT get you off the hook when you intentionally go out and commit mass murder. JMO

The rapidity by which it happens probably varies. I know FOIAs are involved in some cases. That said, I don't recall a case where there is a public demanding LESS information....until now. Perhaps I missed it.

What it striking to me however is that raw footage that is immediately released without any public objection or hand wringing. If you haven't already done so, watch the surveillance video coupled with the body cam footage on this case ..and then add in the 911 calls for good measure. Clearly, in the wrong hands, this stuff COULD be highly suggestive. Kwim?

I'm all for transparency.

But if we, as a society, decide that we don't want truth and transparency in the name of public safety, then let's do it. Imho
I couldn't agree with you more about the body cam footage. Seeing the overwhelming power available to states in action undoubtedly does generate sympathy for the targets of that power amongst some people out there. It's a very bad idea if they're going to do this routinely after future attacks.

IMO, if nothing else, manifestos (rambling or point by point) give us a more clear understanding of what is in these people's heads. It doesn't really matter if it's sheer evil, bullying, mental illness, what have you. Maybe if people will get behind the 8 ball and see the clues in these manifestos then we, collectively, will have even more tools in our "see something, say something" kit. Mental illness, hatred towards any group of people, being bullied, etc. does NOT get you off the hook when you intentionally go out and commit mass murder. JMO
BBM. I think that is the reason LE asked the FBI's behavioral unit to examine the shooter's writings. They are the behavioral experts.

Mass killers, who are still alive, never get "off the hook." The racist shooter in Buffalo will spend the rest of his life in prison.

I couldn't agree with you more about the body cam footage. Seeing the overwhelming power available to states in action undoubtedly does generate sympathy for the targets of that power amongst some people out there. It's a very bad idea if they're going to do this routinely after future attacks.
I'd also suggest that for those with ill intent...body cam footage gives an adrenaline rush (it did me, and I have no ill intent). The surveillance footage made you feel like you were there in real time plus provided some ideas for planning (ie. Shoot out locked doors). Add in the 911 calls...and it's as if you experienced the entire horrific crime in real time. Considering all of this, I believe that this desire to censor the murderer's writing and thoughts is disingenuous. If you weren't complaining about the real time footage or 911 calls then there's really no standing to want to censor a handwritten manifesto.

I feel no sympathy or empathy for this killer. Additionally, I felt that the police did an excellent job. I have zero problem with the firepower they have access to. They were neutralizing a person who shot 29 rounds of ammunition and let 4 children die in pools of their own blood on the floor of their elementary school. Zero sympathy.

We, as a country, demanded the use of body cams by LE. We demanded that transparency. I would think these videos will continue to be released, as per society's demands for years.

imho

I don't think sympathy for mass murderers of children is ever going to be much of a concern. Communicating the message "if you do this, a bunch of cops will immediately come and kill you" in no uncertain terms is worth far more - and that feels like the direction we're going. Like that guy in the bank in Texas was even livestreaming his attack and that video isn't available but the police bodycam is all over the place. The media and law enforcement seem to be reaching an agreement that since the audience wants to see video related to these attacks, it's better for it to be the police video than the attackers' video.

I don't think sympathy for mass murderers of children is ever going to be much of a concern. Communicating the message "if you do this, a bunch of cops will immediately come and kill you" in no uncertain terms is worth far more - and that feels like the direction we're going. Like that guy in the bank in Texas was even livestreaming his attack and that video isn't available but the police bodycam is all over the place. The media and law enforcement seem to be reaching an agreement that since the audience wants to see video related to these attacks, it's better for it to be the police video than the attackers' video.
Well said and I agree. Also, body cam video in this case proves the officers were justified in shooting AH.

Well said and I agree. Also, body cam video in this case proves the officers were justified in shooting AH.
We didn't need body cam to know that LE were justified in taking out the shooter. She was shooting at LE from the upstairs window, and had just slaughtered three <modsnip> children and several more <modsnip> adults.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM. I think that is the reason LE asked the FBI's behavioral unit to examine the shooter's writings. They are the behavioral experts.

Mass killers, who are still alive, never get "off the hook." The racist shooter in Buffalo will spend the rest of his life in prison.
I dont think the dead ones should, either. I was responding to an opinion that rants of a mentally ill person shouldn't be released. I see no value in hiding a shooter's manifesto just because they're dead. It also allows the public to categorize them properly. If it was a hate crime directed at any number of groups (conceivably there are several potentials here), it needs to be known and categorized if that shoe fits. JMO

I dont think the dead ones should, either. I was responding to an opinion that rants of a mentally ill person shouldn't be released. I see no value in hiding a shooter's manifesto just because they're dead. It also allows the public to categorize them properly. If it was a hate crime directed at any number of groups (conceivably there are several potentials here), it needs to be known and categorized if that shoe fits. JMO

If law enforcement experts feel the writings shouldn't be released, then I doubt they will be.

JMO

Normally during a trial at the very least, we see/read about them. No trial, so they need to be released anyway. JMO
I have no doubt they will be released. There will be hearings before Congress, at levels above the local FBI director who is speaking out with his personal opinion of the material. It will go all the way up to the AG before Congress if the manifesto is not released. Hopefully, the DOJ will not block the release until then.

IMO.

ADMIN NOTE:

For members wishing to discuss gun violence / gun control in general, please read Opening Post #2 at the beginning of this thread (which also contains a link to the general discussion thread):

Her writings are much too dangerous to be released.

From Link:

Metro Nashville Council Member Courtney Johnston confirmed to The Post the FBI has already ruled the manifesto would not be released in its entirety.

“What I was told is, her manifesto was a blueprint on total destruction, and it was so, so detailed at the level of what she had planned,” she said, when reached by phone.

“That document in the wrong person’s hands would be astronomically dangerous,” she added.

Johnston said “parts” of Hale’s writings would eventually come out, but added she feels “the vast, overwhelming majority of it,” presented too much of a danger to the public.

She added: “I personally don’t want to know the depths to which her psychosis reached … When I’m told by an MNPD high-ranking official that it keeps him up at night, I’m going to defer to that person in that agency that I don’t need to read that.”

End Quote

From Link:

Metro Nashville Council Member Courtney Johnston confirmed to The Post the FBI has already ruled the manifesto would not be released in its entirety.

“What I was told is, her manifesto was a blueprint on total destruction, and it was so, so detailed at the level of what she had planned,” she said, when reached by phone.

“That document in the wrong person’s hands would be astronomically dangerous,” she added.

Johnston said “parts” of Hale’s writings would eventually come out, but added she feels “the vast, overwhelming majority of it,” presented too much of a danger to the public.

She added: “I personally don’t want to know the depths to which her psychosis reached … When I’m told by an MNPD high-ranking official that it keeps him up at night, I’m going to defer to that person in that agency that I don’t need to read that.”

End Quote
So which way is it really?

Local FBI director says it's just psycho ramblings without really giving a blueprint.

Council member calls it a blueprint but apparently hasn't read it?

It's ridiculous to blame copycat events, if they occur, on this one sick mass murderer. That cat got out of the bag with Harris & Klebold.

Knowledge is power. Suppression of knowledge is power, too.

The latter scares me a lot more than the former, but perhaps I'm an outlier.

I just find the whole debate to be immature. Release it or don't. But stop the whining. Fear is never a good LE or public official response to criminal behavior. And that's what whining is. Fear.

JMHO

From Link:

End Quote
Or her ramblngs serve no purpose if they are released. She's dead. She's incapable of more harm to the public.

I'm appalled at the politicians who still want it proclaimed as a "hate" crime. That designation serves no useful purpose. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper