TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People like to talk about the practical actions that are necessary to prevent crime (and I agree!) but you have to ask WHAT HAPPENEd that we have thousands of people without a conscience. Each time there's an individual person who decides to do this, picks up a weapon, and kills innocent people they don't know in cold blood. How do you get there? What the $%^& is wrong with our society?

VERY simplistic answer ... the unity is gone. People turn on each other. Instead of working together to resolve these huge problems.

That is how it appears to some of us who sit far away. One TV commenter here (in Aus) said this morning "nothing will be done" (meaning not much will be done). Which is the saddest thing. We are all giving up hope for resolution.

Fewer shootings at private schools
Today's shooting in Nashville proved unusual as it took place at a private school.
Such incidents in the US have historically been more likely to occur at public institutions.
From 2000 to 2018, around 94% of school shootings took place at public schools, compared with 6% at private schools, according to an analysis from the Cato Institute think-tank.
A Washington Post analysis also found that about 6% of school shootings take place at private institutions, while more than 20% of all schools in the US are private.

Just to put those stats into better context...the additional stat to go with that is that while 20% of schools are private, only 9% of students go to private schools. i.e. they are smaller.

The point still stands though, that public schools have had a higher incidence.

VERY simplistic answer ... the unity is gone. People turn on each other. Instead of working together to resolve these huge problems.

That is how it appears to some of us who sit far away. One TV commenter here (in Aus) said this morning "nothing will be done" (meaning not much will be done). Which is the saddest thing. We are all giving up hope for resolution.

Unity and a sense of Community. I absolutely agree.

Audrey Hale

Last edited:
It is important to remember that bullet proof glass in windows makes it impossible to break the window to get people out in case of a fire (which first responders would say is a more likely school emergency than a mass shooting). Bullet proof glass is much heavier so retrofitting a glass window is very difficult AND it is hard for young children to maneuver in case of a fire or other emergency that would necessitate opening the window. Just some info from my previous research for my school after Sandy Hook.

Exactly. It's bad enough that many of us teach in rooms without windows that open. I teach adults and there are usually a couple of men in the class who would be capable of taking a metal object from within the classroom (like a chair) and maybe smashing the window we do have in case of fire. Many teachers teach in windowless classrooms, as well (at all levels of education - trailers on most campuses all around the nation).

Bullet proof glass is not the answer. There's that new bulletproof "room" that can be unfolded inside the classroom (and used as a whiteboard until needed and holds the entire class - about $70,000 per classroom I believe. But that won't help the first people shot.

Kids are scared, adults are scared, teachers are quitting over these issues. More homeschooling (which is not socially the same as traditional schooling nor is it academically the same, either). Fear is the wrong atmosphere for learning.

Of course, there is probably some tech that could be invented to help us - if it were a priority.

IMO

The Covenant School has about 209 students and 42 staff members, from pre-school through sixth grade, [Don Aaron, a police spokesperson] said. After the shooting, children were seen walking, holding hands and surrounded by police cars, to the nearby Woodmont Baptist church, to be reunited with parents.

A woman whose mother teaches at the school told reporters they texted while the attack took place.

Avery Myrick said: “She said she was hiding in the closet and that they were shooting all over, and that they were potentially trying to get into a room. It was really scary, really sad. I’m just praying for all the families out there.”

[...]

“The school is kind of situated sideways, if you will. So the front door is actually on the side of the building."

Just to put those stats into better context...the additional stat to go with that is that while 20% of schools are private, only 9% of students go to private schools. i.e. they are smaller.

The point still stands though, that public schools have had a higher incidence.

Source? There aren't nearly as many students in private schools. We've had some private school shootings here in SoCal.

Has someone actually done this study with all available data?

I am thinking the incidence is indeed higher for the public schools, but by how much? Is it statistically significant? Most studies lump them together:

The raw data is kept here:

It's probably been written up somewhere.

IMO

This picture from the Daily Mail is breaking my heart. According to the DM, it’s a father who's found his son, a student at the school.

No child so young should look so simultaneously bewildered, forlorn and frightened. IMO.

I can imagine the look on the father’s face as he brings his child to safety. From a school at which a few hours ago he assumed his son was ALREADY in a safe place.View attachment 411509

And this is the problem and what everyone seems to miss. There were not 7 victims. Every single person at that school was a victim. Every single parent was a victim, whether their child was physically harmed or not. This is psychological warfare and they're ALL victims. Traumatized children are changed for life. This is nothing something he'll grow up and forget. This is something that will affect both his physical and mental health for the rest of his life. We are scarring children - all of them.

It's human to error, and or forget to lock a door or prop it open for just a minute to load in things. That's part of the problem, errors will happen.
I don't know. Perhaps if there were many cases of wannabe shooters trying to get into schools and setting off alarms, getting caught before they get inside. Then I could believe the cases like this were rare instances of someone getting past barriers because of human error.

IMO, there's more care taken to protect ourselves from thieves, than to protect children from this clearly trending wave of school shooters. IMO, individuals, mall owners, museums, banks, don't waste energy wringing their hands about how to cure humans of this terrible prediliction to steal things, they just get on with protecting themselves.

JMO

I am curious if this particular girl had training though. The initial reports are that only 6 people were shot and they all died. There are no other gunshot victims. So every person she shot, she killed. That is extremely rare.

This woman may have practiced. But semi-automatic rifles or shotguns (esp shotguns) are deadly at close range even in the hands of a relatively newcomer to shooting. Further, in some states (and I believe TN is one of them) there are high limits on how large a magazine can be. We are trying to have a law in California that the maximum number of bullets shall be 10 (we do have that law, but a recently appointed federal judge has ruled we cannot have that law and now it's headed to the California Supreme Court - and then, perhaps, onward to the Supreme Court).

We don't know which type of automatic weapon it was at this point, they are often made to look the same - our shotgun looks quite like a semi-automatic rifle. Reporters say "AK-47 style" or "Military style" all the time, meaning merely that it's a long gun that's semi-automatic and looks scary.

Were there really no wounded? I have not seen that definitively stated yet.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member