TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a former school administrator, I wish I could say it is that easy. Schools and school systems always do a cost benefit analysis for the buildings. When retrofitting a building there are so many things that need to be altered/fortified/reassessed. One thing we know is that school shooters learn from each other--- most acts are not just done with little to no planning. So, in the double door example, many schools have buzzers to let you in and then a buzzer system to let you in the second door. That said, if a shooter has a bigger gun, the glass will shatter giving the shooter immediate entry. Magnetic doors can be a great thing but once the magnetic door locks anyone in a hall or area has no where to go.

In case of a current or former student, they often can get into a school with ease as they know the ecosystems vulnerabilities.

Every time I see a thread that has school and shooting in it, I am reminded that we continually fail to protect the most vulnerable. Not sure why.

We should bless the people who died AND those who tried to save them. This is a horrific crime to grapple with psychologically.
Yes, just imagine how security would change if a lot of people were being killed on airplanes...oh, wait a sec...

People like to talk about the practical actions that are necessary to prevent crime (and I agree!) but you have to ask WHAT HAPPENEd that we have thousands of people without a conscience. Each time there's an individual person who decides to do this, picks up a weapon, and kills innocent people they don't know in cold blood. How do you get there? What the $%^& is wrong with our society?
I'm sure many here have their own theories on the "what happened" part, as well as the "how did we get here?" part and especially the "what the blankity-blank is wrong with our society?" part. I'm a Christian so, I have pretty strong thoughts on all of that.

That said, I'm 100% convinced media, and social media have a massive hand in all of it. I don't believe these rage filled monsters don't have a conscience, I believe (at least in some cases) they just crave the attention and the notoriety they know they're going to get from the act.

jmo

When I was in 1st grade, a kid in my class brought a gun in his lunchbox and threatened the teacher. I remember the teacher crying afterwards. The kid never came back to school iirc. This was late 90s.

I haven’t thought about that in a long time. Thinking back it could’ve been a BB gun for all I know, but I know it was a serious situation.

Now I have a 2nd grader in school to worry about. Fellow classmate, random adult, schools just aren’t safe and I hate it :(
That's when we feel our weakest, when despite our best efforts we can't protect those we care about the most.

It's unclear how she gained access to the building. Police say all of the doors were locked.

I predict:
1. No law enforcement body cam will be released.
2. No security cam footage will be released.
3. Perpetrator will have military parentage.

Possible:
1. Source of weaponry will be unclear.
2. and/or source of weaponry will be murdered.
3. Perpetrator will have history of high quality mental health care.
4. Multitude of easily dis-proven conspiracy theories will be promoted.
5. AI social media response.

<modsnip>

I'm rambling, and I'm sorry. I think this is probably all I'll end up saying on the matter, because I recognize the fact that I just get too upset. Feeling helpless against injustice is an awful feeling, and I know so many of us here have felt that in one way or another. Heck, I know that's part of why I like being a part of THIS community here at WS, to try to make even a little bit of difference for victims of some form of injustice, to try to give a little help to those who might be helpless, or feeling helpless. I guess mostly I just feel bad. I feel so bad for these families going through this in Nashville today. And for the teachers, the other kids, the police, for everyone being reminded of their own past school shooting experiences.

We live about 40 minutes from Newtown, CT. I thought Newtown was going to the thing that finally broke through the BS. I honestly thought that everyone, on both sides of the aisle, would be so affected by the massive awfullness of Newtown that real changes would be made, real changes that made a difference. I hung my hope on that. And then nothing. Just the same old nothing. I really hate losing faith in humanity. I do. Faith in humanity is part of what keeps us going, right? And to have it keep getting chipped away, its just hard. Its soul crushing. I'm sorry to have left such a long message here, I don't often let it out, because I hate thinking about it. Take care of each other, guys, and for any of our community that might be from Nashville, or from any of the other towns scarred by mass shootings, I am so very sorry. I wish I could take your pain away. My heart is with you.

Last edited:
When I was in 1st grade, a kid in my class brought a gun in his lunchbox and threatened the teacher. I remember the teacher crying afterwards. The kid never came back to school iirc. This was late 90s.

I haven’t thought about that in a long time. Thinking back it could’ve been a BB gun for all I know, but I know it was a serious situation.

Now I have a 2nd grader in school to worry about. Fellow classmate, random adult, schools just aren’t safe and I hate it :(
When I was in school kids were allowed to bring their shotguns to school and on the bus. The kids carried their guns in a case on the bus and put them in their lockers so they could go hunting after school. We never had any incidents involving gun violence.

It's a shame this is the type of world we live in now.

I'm sure many here have their own theories on the "what happened" part, as well as the "how did we get here?" part and especially the "what the blankity-blank is wrong with our society?" part. I'm a Christian so, I have pretty strong thoughts on all of that.

That said, I'm 100% convinced media, and social media have a massive hand in all of it. I don't believe these rage filled monsters don't have a conscience, I believe (at least in some cases) they just crave the attention and the notoriety they know they're going to get from the act.

jmo
Blaming the media is anger displacement IMO. Mass communication saves lives. Knowing more about these events & shooters is valuable as we grapple with this thorny issue.

Where is a person's character formed? At home. And that is where killers come from. Getting to the root of the problem means figuring out how to intervene in an effective way as early as possible.

Rather than turn away by taking the spotlight off these criminals, we as a society need to work toward reducing the negative influences that create them & introducing more positive influences.

If we can't do that better, the madness will continue & get worse (although with so many incidents already in 2023 it's hard to imagine worse).

Teaching children how to manage emotions better, problem solve frustrations better & evaluating early for mental instability warning signs could help.

The "contagion" aspect is magnified by social media, popular culture focus on violence & demeaning vulgarities.

As a person thinks in his heart, so is he. As a person thinks in her heart, so is she.

We are choosing the kind of society we live in. We all need to make better choices. And that starts at home.

JMHO

ADMIN NOTE:

Hey folks, politicizing and gun control discussion/debate is not allowed at Websleuths, so please do not link to articles that are about elected officials and gun control in general.

Just about every case discussion at WS where a gun is the weapon has members start up gun control discussion or political commentary. Such discussion at Websleuths is one of those societal issues that will NEVER result in change in that regard, and it only derails the discussion about the specific case that is under discussion.

Thank you.
I understand, and for the record, I wasn't so much challenging the "no politics" WS policy, it was more about acknowledging my own difficulty in figuring out how to separate the issue from the politics. I so appreciate the integrity and efforts of our moderators to keep WS functional and effective. Thank you for putting so much care into this.

Watch: 'Aren't you guys tired of covering this?'​

A woman jumps in at the end of a press conference by officials to say that she survived a previous mass shooting in Illinois last year.
Ashbey Beasly said was visiting family in Nashville.
Following today's shooting she said: "How is this still happening?"

You can watch the video below:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members