Found Deceased TN - Tamia Taylor, 21, met friend at 11:30pm and got on a riverboat, when riverboat docked she was missing, Memphis, 9 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“I don’t really think that she done this to herself. She love life too much,” she said. “I appreciate all the love and condolences. But we, as African Americans, we do this to ourselves, because whoever done this is another African American.”

“Why didn’t you say nothing 16 days ago? Where were your cameras, where were your phones, where was all of this at 16 days ago,” she asked.

What about holding the people accountable? Everybody on the boat had a phone, everybody on the boat saw this and saw that. Why didn’t nobody speak up?”

“I don’t really think that she done this to herself. She love life too much,” she said. “I appreciate all the love and condolences. But we, as African Americans, we do this to ourselves, because whoever done this is another African American.”

“Why didn’t you say nothing 16 days ago? Where were your cameras, where were your phones, where was all of this at 16 days ago,” she asked.

What about holding the people accountable? Everybody on the boat had a phone, everybody on the boat saw this and saw that. Why didn’t nobody speak up?”
Why is the boat company even allowed to advertise and hold cruises that the very premise is to drink yourself into oblivion and they keep supplying into the wee hours of the morning? Then pull into the pier and put everyone out on the street. How can they do all that and not expect to be held accountable? A downtown bar is expected to stop service to an obviously drunk.

Why is the boat company even allowed to advertise and hold cruises that the very premise is to drink yourself into oblivion and they keep supplying into the wee hours of the morning? Then pull into the pier and put everyone out on the street. How can they do all that and not expect to be held accountable? A downtown bar is expected to stop service to an obviously drunk.
*Especially without food. What if attendees don’t follow the below by not having food before boarding riverboat?

No food will be sold on board. You may not bring food or drink on board. Please eat before arrival.

Last edited:
*Especially without food. What if attendees don’t follow the below by not having food before boarding riverboat?

No food will be sold on board. You may not bring food or drink on board. Please eat before arrival.
I agree. This is the part that REALLY baffles me. In South Carolina, you can't obtain a liquor license unless you sell food. The "booze cruises" around here (in Murrells Inlet) have a limited menu but offer the standard appetizers you'd find at most bars. They don't depart as late as the cruise in Memphis either... I think our latest cruise departs at sunset for 90 minutes.

but people need also to be responsible [in general, not talking about TT - but everyone on that boat and everyone everywhere]. Opportunities for misfortune are everywhere - we need to assume risks if we choose to partake in something potentially hazardous (or seemingly not hazardous, like going to the grocery store even) - and then we need to be responsible. That's gone out the window IMO. And way back when, we kinda helped each other out a little more than we do these days IMO. It's more about me me me now. I hope Tamia did not suffer. So much love to all those who cared about her and are suffering now.

ETA: clarity

but people need also to be responsible [in general, not talking about TT - but everyone on that boat and everyone everywhere]. Opportunities for misfortune are everywhere - we need to assume risks if we choose to partake in something potentially hazardous (or seemingly not hazardous, like going to the grocery store even) - and then we need to be responsible. That's gone out the window IMO. And way back when, we kinda helped each other out a little more than we do these days IMO. It's more about me me me now. I hope Tamia did not suffer. So much love to all those who cared about her and are suffering now.

Isn't this one of those "there but for the Grace of God go I" events? Each person should be responsible, but even the most responsible has their moments of letting down the guard, letting down the hair or moments when time and circumstance take over. True, it is more the me generation. However, her friends are caught in a negative light when perhaps they are merely acquaintances who did not have the time to become true friends. I just feel that any of us, over the course of a lifetime, might be in exactly this or a similar situation.

Isn't this one of those "there but for the Grace of God go I" events? Each person should be responsible, but even the most responsible has their moments of letting down the guard, letting down the hair or moments when time and circumstance take over. True, it is more the me generation. However, her friends are caught in a negative light when perhaps they are merely acquaintances who did not have the time to become true friends. I just feel that any of us, over the course of a lifetime, might be in exactly this or a similar situation.
Absolutely, any one of us at any time.

There is still so much we don't know, may never know, can't know about what happened here. I was sorta musing in response to comments about why these types of potentially dangerous excursions are even offered.

I've never subscribed to that BBM phrase but I appreciate your response - and the gentle reminder about grace. THAT I do subscribe to. =) Thanks.

I think it's fair to discuss the responsibilities of these "cruises" toward their customers. They make $$ serving drinks yet -- No cameras, no paid security monitoring various places on the ship? No one keeping an eye out for the most vulnerable customers? No food served?

Could changes perhaps be made, to prevent this from happening again?
(IMO/JMO at this time - I believe an accidental fall from the boat most likely, having not seen evidence otherwise).

but they specially tells their guests there is no food, and they ask their guests to eat first. So if guests don't eat first, for example, and get sick or worse, who failed in their responsibility? (Of course, even signing a waiver doesn't mean one can't sue). It's an interesting discussion for sure.

ETA: Please I hope no one thinks I am victim blaming at all here. I don't posit the idea that Tamia didn't eat. I have no idea what happened here, just want to make sure my comments are understood to be general in nature. Until we know more, we are just chatting about peripheral issues IMO.

No chance of being responsible if you're off out to get hammered. There's a saying (here in the UK at least, "booze moves in and common sense moves out")

I struggle with this topic in general. The boat does look like it has some dangerous areas. Obviously that’s true- Tamia fell overboard and no one knew it happened.

What about the friends? The dude was with her early in the evening, he knew what she had already consumed. If Tamia was the reason they were all there, why weren’t they looking out for her given the state she was in?

Then there’s personal accountability, to know when enough is enough. To safeguard yourself because you know your kids need you back home.

Did we used to just call this a tragic accident? But now look to find someone legally responsible?

None of what I mused about above diminishes my heartfelt sympathy for Tamia and her family. Wherever your opinion on responsibility lies, her death is life changing for those without her today.

I struggle with this topic in general. The boat does look like it has some dangerous areas. Obviously that’s true- Tamia fell overboard and no one knew it happened.

What about the friends? The dude was with her early in the evening, he knew what she had already consumed. If Tamia was the reason they were all there, why weren’t they looking out for her given the state she was in?

Then there’s personal accountability, to know when enough is enough. To safeguard yourself because you know your kids need you back home.

Did we used to just call this a tragic accident? But now look to find someone legally responsible?

None of what I mused about above diminishes my heartfelt sympathy for Tamia and her family. Wherever your opinion on responsibility lies, her death is life changing for those without her today.

Regarding the friends they were all probably very drunk themselves so you don’t always think logically.

Tamia seemed like quite a social person from what we have seen so I would guess she probably mingled on the boat - I imagine the friends when they couldn’t find her just thought she went off with other people (rather than thinking she went overboard)

Regarding the boat company I agree they need to look at safety measures however, when drinking on a boat it’s always going to be risky as water & alcohol don’t mix well.

I think ultimately this is just a tragic accident blaming others for it will not bring Tamia back.

Is the only story we have of someone seeing her onshore, after dis-embarkment, coming from the taxi/shuttle driver? Trying to figure out if she fell overboard on the boat or staggered drunk and fell into the water after leaving the boat or if the story the taxi/shuttle driver told of her being put into a truck full of men is true and she was harmed and thrown into the water. JMO :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree. This is the part that REALLY baffles me. In South Carolina, you can't obtain a liquor license unless you sell food. The "booze cruises" around here (in Murrells Inlet) have a limited menu but offer the standard appetizers you'd find at most bars. They don't depart as late as the cruise in Memphis either... I think our latest cruise departs at sunset for 90 minutes.
Even with those circumstances, personal responsibility has to come into play. Most people, even if they eat, and proceed to drink more than 1 drink in 90 minutes, are likely going to be dumped off over the limit at the conclusion of the cruise.

The longer I live, the more I see inherent danger in alcohol consumption. MOO

Adding: And that danger exists no matter what the marketing and advertising says.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liiinebecc