Found Deceased TN - Tamia Taylor, 21, met friend at 11:30pm and got on a riverboat, when riverboat docked she was missing, Memphis, 9 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh, this news is so terrible.

According to MPD, it is unknown if Taylor departed the boat before her friends. Police said they are investigating every possibility of her whereabouts, including the possibility she may have fallen overboard.
The identification confirms Taylor died on the river. We're working to confirm whether her death was ruled accidental or otherwise.
Tamia’s Mom has such incredible faith, I deeply admire her strength and the way she has conducted herself in this tragedy. My thoughts are with her children and loved ones.

Crittenden County coroner confirmed she died of drowning
From your link-
“The identification confirms Taylor died on the river. The Crittenden County coroner also confirmed she died of drowning, but could not confirm whether her death was accidental or otherwise.”

I’m not sure how LE can say there was no foul play?

looked this up the other night- TN has a "dram shop" law

Tennessee Dram Shop Laws and Social Host Liability for ...

View attachment 449621
Nolo
https://www.nolo.com › legal-encyclopedia › dram-sh...

Tennessee's dram shop law, which can be found in section 57-10-102 of the Tennessee Code, allows a person who's injured by an intoxicated individual to seek ...
Jurisdiction might be a problem in this case as the river runs between Tennessee and Arkansas. Wonder if there's an "official" line. The boat was in Tennessee, where she boarded, and her body was found in Arkansas. Since no one claims to have seen her go overboard . . . There's probably little to no way to pin down where the accident took place. OTOH -- the fact that the boat docks in Tennessee and is probably licensed in Tennessee, I wonder if that would be enough?

Oh, Tamia, how very sad your celebration has ended so. Rest in Peace and may your family find comfort and strength.

From your link-
“The identification confirms Taylor died on the river. The Crittenden County coroner also confirmed she died of drowning, but could not confirm whether her death was accidental or otherwise.”

I have to assume that when LE says "unable to confirm" or "no foul play" it is a default/boilerplate answer. This happened with the Nathan Millard case, where people online were ridiculing the "no foul play" before they unsealed the warrants and affidavits showing what happened.

From your link-

She either fell or was pushed.
Where she was found indicates she probably went in the water off the boat, floated downstream and got caught along the shore.

“When does the questioning begin?" Ellis said. "When do we start peeling back the layers of the individual who said he saw her get off the boat? When do we peel back the layers of the friends who were on the boat? When do we peel back those layers and even Tamia’s mother has said, ‘If that’s my child, this takes this to another dimension,' and we’re there now. We’re there today."

Ellis said her organization was told by a medical examiner the death was ruled a drowning, but another part of their ruling was deemed “undetermined.”

“When does the questioning begin?" Ellis said. "When do we start peeling back the layers of the individual who said he saw her get off the boat? When do we peel back the layers of the friends who were on the boat? When do we peel back those layers and even Tamia’s mother has said, ‘If that’s my child, this takes this to another dimension,' and we’re there now. We’re there today."

Ellis said her organization was told by a medical examiner the death was ruled a drowning, but another part of their ruling was deemed “undetermined.”
Awaiting toxicology reports?

COD-Cause of Death is listed as drowning
MOD-Manner of Death is listed as undetermined.
Manner of death has categories such as suicide, natural, homicide and undetermined. They know she drowned but did she fall in (accidental) or jump in (suicide) or pushed in (homicide), they can't say so it it listed as undetermined.

The identification confirms Taylor died on the river. The Crittenden County coroner also confirmed she died of drowning, but could not confirm whether her death was accidental or otherwise.

If it is her, I wonder if the family will file a law suit against the cruise company for low railings or some other safety feature missing? Although I do not think they are to blame and it is just an accident.
I think they may well try but I don’t see it succeeding.

Like others have said there was probably a waiver signed or something in the T&Cs of the booking.

I’ve been on a booze cruise type ship in Ibiza and people were allowed to jump in the water from the second deck (admittedly this was in daylight hours so slightly different).

That can take awhile.
The death is drowning
Video shows she appeared to be intoxicated, but it won't tell if she fell or was pushed in. I very highly doubt suicide.

I don't believe the boat company. If there is video evidence that she disembarked, they need to provide it.

Do they have other evidence?

I would not be surprised if they are saying this based on routine checking of the boat after the last passenger disembarked.

I went on one in Mpls. Once the ride ended, everyone just got off. There was no verification that we had actually disembarked.

Other than the boat company, saying that she disembarked, there is no sighting of Tamia once the boat docked.

I have a very strong suspicion she fell before the boat docked. <modsnip - rumor> I will watch the news, but I think proving homicide by pushing would be difficult without a confession or video.

Rest peacefully Tamia

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a very strong suspicion she fell before the boat docked. I will watch the news, but I think proving homicide by pushing would be difficult without a confession or video.

Rest peacefully Tamia
Yes, murder would be difficult to prove since there is no evidence to support it. Someone would have had to carry her over the railing, which is rather absurd without witnesses.

“I don’t have any questions," Debra said. "I ask everybody to remain humble, respectful and patient because Memphis Police Department, as well as, the Dock Ellis Foundation, as well as other people who have stepped in to help have done an amazing job. You have to keep in mind that at the end of the day, they are still human. They have to be able to go home to rest so that they can come back out and protect and serve us. So they did an amazing job. No one should want to attack them or anything because every last one of them were phenomenal, the whole team. They were great."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liiinebecc
Back