TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It wasn’t the Memphis police chief. It was a guest police chief on NewsNation with Leland Vittert as they watched the footage. I do not know the name, I never saw it displayed as they usually provide.
Thanks! I just needed clarification. Sometimes it’s hard to keep track of all of the experts being interviewed.

It seems Memphis has been struggling for some time to hire officers. (And, also there are numerous reports of excessive force used by officers.) I guess I need to read more about these officers... how long they had been on the force and how experienced they were. Memphis is frightening.

<modsnip - quoted post removed:>
As to why release video on Friday after 6? As Ceska points out:
Releasing the video on a Friday/weekend may actually not be all that bad of an idea. In the event that there may be some violence or rioting, kids will not be in school/out on buses, and workplaces, such as offices, etc., will be closed (therefore less traffic and people needing to be out). I would hope they are prepared and have extra law enforcement, and especially back-up, at the ready.
In addition, it was stated previously by Memphis jurisdiction the above reasons for waiting on release.

ETA agree with your post, timing to also help LE prepare.

Last edited by a moderator:
That pole cam video is over the top. The body cam video shows he was non compliant but they kept going on him long after he was subdued. All 5 need to rot in jail for a long time.
The first video of the stop was not clear, but….
That pole cam video sealed it for me.

There was a point towards the end where it appears the officers realize they are being recorded via pole cam, IMO.

It appeared several flashlights directed to the pole cam and the officers began moving away from Tyre, IMO.

Did you all notice once the beating was over, the unclear bodycam footage got a lot clearer?

Good thing the pole top camera was there.
Agree, it struck me so much of the first video's lacked either full pictures or sound together. Sometime it seemed LE voices were blocked out. Other times, there was video with audio seeming to be blocked.

JMO

As much as the beating, the cursing, the inhumanity of it all is so horrific, it’s Tyre screaming for his mom. I will never unhear that and neither will she.

More need to be charged.

Why didn’t the paramedics look after him? I don’t get it.

MOO
The fact that his mom was literally about 100 yards away says to me he wasn’t just calling out in agony to his mother… he was likely quite literally calling out to her hoping she could hear him from their house. He was *that close*. Bless his family as they try to cope with such senseless violence.

It seems Memphis has been struggling for some time to hire officers. (And, also there are numerous reports of excessive force used by officers.) I guess I need to read more about these officers... how long they had been on the force and how experienced they were. Memphis is frightening.

I’m in Memphis and I am a former MPD communications employee. None of the officers had more than 5 years in the force. One had been involved in a case, when he was a jailer, where he was accused of beating an inmate.

The struggle to find officers started when the city cut benefits and many officers took lateral transfers and moved away. Memphis had to come with some incentives and lately they’ve had a few large classes to come through the academy.

When I worked for MPD, there were several patrol officers who were known for roughing suspects up. It was known but definitely hush hush.

I’m in Memphis and I am a former MPD communications employee. None of the officers had more than 5 years in the force. One had been involved in a case, when he was a jailer, where he was accused of beating an inmate.

The struggle to find officers started when the city cut benefits and many officers took lateral transfers and moved away. Memphis had to come with some incentives and lately they’ve had a few large classes to come through the academy.

When I worked for MPD, there were several patrol officers who were known for roughing suspects up. It was known but definitely hush hush.
Thanks for sharing a first hand observation

JMO

Agree, it struck me so much of the first video's lacked either full pictures or sound together. Sometime it seemed LE voices were blocked out. Other times, there was video with audio seeming to be blocked.

JMO
Axon cameras when in standby save the previous 30sec -1min of footage without sound before they are turned on-on - to help with context. So that's why there is no sound in the beginning, the officer probably hit the button as they ran up to the car. Some redacted information may also have been cut out of the audio as well as blurring some people/areas. I can't see any obvious cuts in the video, but there is probably other officer body camera video thats not released, though it's unknown if they turned up later or that would capture better angles than this. I can't tell how many uniformed/camera'd officers were involved.

The cameras are also not going to be as clear when there is a lot of movement going on. It's also possible when it was sent it might have had their file size compressed.

I don't think the 'plain clothes' guys had cameras, can't see one attached to their police hoodies.. That's likely why the first seen footage is in both cases is after the marked police car turns up, which is after both confrontations started. I'd have hoped the plain car would have dashcam at least but no word on that.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran
Back