Trial break: The State vs Jodi Arias; trial resumes 4 February 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked for that clip on youtube for you. It seemed to be part of the 48 hours documentary, but I can't seem to locate it within. Weird. Maybe you've seen it.

It's essentially Arias recounting getting this mysterious letter (or maybe two) that threatened her life if she came to Arizona while in jail. They were delivered via someone delivering publications to each cell.

Nurse posted it earlier in this thread.

Jodi Arias on threats received in Calif. jail - 48 Hours - CBS News

I looked for that clip on youtube for you. It seemed to be part of the 48 hours documentary, but I can't seem to locate it within. Weird. Maybe you've seen it.

It's essentially Arias recounting getting this mysterious letter (or maybe two) that threatened her life if she came to Arizona while in jail. They were delivered via someone delivering publications to each cell.

Nope, I haven't see it and only recently read about it.

Heavy sigh, she never ceases to amaze me.

Your sig line is chilling.

Listening to her lie makes my blood run cold. Does anyone remember the photo of Ted Bundy in court when he lost his temper and finally looked like the evil man he was? I have this horrible vision of the last thing Travis ever saw being that look on Jodi's face. The stuff of nightmares.

bbm

I have a hard time believing it, too, Linda. I'll say this again -- take a look at the figure on the far left side of the roof of the building in the back of the pic. And the double-decker bus? It looks like it a pic of a German town in the early 1940's. It seems to be quite unlike the facial drawings in the pics that are also attributed to her.

Unless this a copy of a painting that she did in an art class, or something similar, I just can't be convinced that it is hers. It's nothing like her other sketches, which, to me are pretty good for someone with a little-not-a-lot of talent. But I am not talented in drawing at all, so what do I know? Even my stick figures suck, so I am surely no real judge. JMHO.

as an artist, my opinion looking at this pen and ink and comparing it to her pastel portraits on ebay is that she is an artist of minor talent, and that most of her work looks copied. It has that stiff lifeless look to it (kind of like she has herself) and the portraits are definitely copied models and celebrities from magazines. One does not need a lot of talent to copy photographs - all the work has already been done by the photographer- pose, lighting, etc, and the artist just has to draw what she sees and can easily make it look right and proportionate by measuring. Her portrait style is very far from the very loose and expressive figures in the pen and ink "mother and child" -a work which obviously was originally done by someone of more considerable talent. IMO she copied it, or copied parts of it, just as she copies photos. Of course one has to be able to draw fairly well to do this, but it doesn't take a major talent to copy someone else's work.

The first time I looked at her, in the courtroom, I thought she looked blank and empty. Her drawings don't surprise me. Even though she has some base ability to draw, she doesn't seem to have the spark inside of her to create original work - at least not yet. She is young, and could grow as an artist. I suppose if she winds up on death row, she'll have plenty of time for that....

My brain's sluggish, too, Linda. I think that was a study he did back in the early 90s, if I remember correctly.

Dr. Hare did a study on psychopaths in prison. He rated them on a scale based on a test he formulated with some of his research assistants. The higher the number, the higher the level of pathology. Then later, another researcher did a quasi-longitudinal study (without Dr. Hare being involved) and the results in a nutshell found that the higher the psychopathic score, the more likely the prisoner recidivism within like 5-8 years.

But what do I know from this armchair.....:banghead:

I wondered the same thing. I know a domestic violence expert is coming soon, I wonder if she interviewed JA. If she did I imagine the report was shared with both sides. But the mental status I wonder. Of course the idea would be to report back she has some kind of battered woman syndrome (based on what JA tells the expert) It would be frightening if she was on the streets again.

Do we know if Arias underwent a mental status evaluation before trial? Or if any sort of testing was done?

My brain's sluggish, too, Linda. I think that was a study he did back in the early 90s, if I remember correctly.

I think I'm coming down with something....(hoping its not the onset of old age) lol

BBM: Funny, but that is one of the classic hallmarks that non-BPD's observe with the more higher-functioning BPD's ---> BPD's manipulate; and let's not get into the overlap/comorbidity thing that goes on with Cluster B's. In general, the BPD feels that they are lacking their own personality and will mimic another person who they feel is appropriate or well-liked (like JA mimicking her attorney). Additionally, the "fear of abandonment" (another classic hallmark of BPD) is a shortcut descriptor to what you wrote "she was ticked off that she couldn't possess him anymore".....and hence she would be alone with herself, which the BPD hates more than anything. They are hallowed shells.

Okay well we'll have to agree to disagree, I'm aware of the manipulative nature though I see it differently than you describe and I'd take issue with the "hallowed shell" description. My knowledge is based on pretty intense exposure to DBT and professionals who work with BPD and some personal research. I'm not a professional so can only speak based on what I've seen and experienced. Happy to see things differently though!

whomever just asked upstream about the opening statements: no I have not been able to find the first part of the state's opening

Linda can't watch it from that link; I was attempting to find one she could watch. Thank you, though!

I'm foggy brained here tonight. Now, I remember that part of the conversation. LOL.

Oh well maybe someone else missed nurse's link.

Dr. Hare did a study on psychopaths in prison. He rated them on a scale based on a test he formulated with some of his research assistants. The higher the number, the higher the level of pathology. Then later, another researcher did a quasi-longitudinal study (without Dr. Hare being involved) and the results in a nutshell found that the higher the psychopathic score, the more likely the prisoner recidivism within like 5-8 years.

But what do I know from this armchair.....:banghead:

I was speaking specifically of his speech and language studies.

The only one that's sticking in my brain at the moment was the one that documented the lack of fear using electrical stimulus.

Okay well we'll have to agree to disagree, I'm aware of the manipulative nature though I see it differently than you describe and I'd take issue with the "hallowed shell" description. My knowledge is based on pretty intense exposure to DBT and professionals who work with BPD and some personal research. I'm not a professional so can only speak based on what I've seen and experienced. Happy to see things differently though!

Lotus: yes, we are seemingly coming from two very different perspectives on this and this is what makes WS interesting. Cheerio!

Is there a particular reason why I am unable to " thank" certain posters?

I'm trying to thank Jax and it won't let me.

I was speaking specifically of his speech and language studies.

The only one that's sticking in my brain at the moment was the one that documented the lack of fear using electrical stimulus.

My friend, you are referencing Milgrim's studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest