Trial break: The State vs Jodi Arias; trial resumes 4 February 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Us great minds from New Jersey think alike.

I hope no one took my comment the wrong way - I mean, what fun would these forums be if we could not speculate on what is going on in the minds of these people? What bothers me is that sometimes all this psycho babble comes off like she has an "illness" and is not responsible for her behavior. And with some killers, that might be the truth - for sure JA isn't like the rest of us - but in this case, we have a woman who KNEW what she was doing, and knew it was wrong, and had enough of her wits about her to try to cover up what she did. Hell yeah there is something wrong with her - but she is able to function in other areas of her life, which tells me she is 100% accountable for her actions. If she is found guilty - and I am worried, after what happened with Casey Anthony - we still will have to sit thru another decade of appeals and pleas for her "valuable" life, and I guess I am just tired of all that BS. Once the jury reads the verdict, they should just take her out back and shoot her.

Just so you know - the ailments that we're {potentially} diagnosing JA with - the Cluster B's (Narcissistic/Borderline/Histrionic(no way!)/Antisocial) are basically incurable - especially if you've reached the point of murdering people. IMO, once these people have tasted blood there is no going back.

They are totally responsible for their behavior according to the law and moo.

I'm dealing with one in my personal life (not a murderer YET) and it's a friggin' nightmare.

For anyone interested in psychopath's/sociopath's speech patterns:

From Legal and Criminological Psychology, vol 18, issue 1

"Hungry like the wolf: A word-pattern analysis of the language of psychopaths" (pdf) published Sep 14, 2011:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2044-8333.2011.02025.x/pdf

The title chilled me. Haven't been able to listen to that famous Duran Duran song since the Diane Downs case.
Thank you for the link. I believe one of Linda's links (a news article) touched on this study.

:)

Did I offend you? That wasn't my intent. Just agreeing that I enjoyed it?

Not at all.

Just saying, since you are not verified, we can discuss armchair psychology style. Then I offered you a chair and sent out for pizza!

Juan M said, "no plea!" / You'll never be free!
:jail:

I'm imagining him breaking in to song in his closing ala Dreamgirls "you will never be free....no plea no plea no plea and you and you and you . You gonna love me..". Pointing at me of course. I'm sorry, I have a fever. :blushing:

I'm imagining him breaking in to song in his closing ala Dreamgirls "you will never be free....no plea no plea no plea and you and you and you . You gonna love me..". Pointing at me of course. I'm sorry, I have a fever. :blushing:

Too funny!

For anyone interested in psychopath's/sociopath's speech patterns:

From Legal and Criminological Psychology, vol 18, issue 1

"Hungry like the wolf: A word-pattern analysis of the language of psychopaths" (pdf) published Sep 14, 2011:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2044-8333.2011.02025.x/pdf

The title chilled me. Haven't been able to listen to that famous Duran Duran song since the Diane Downs case.

Hare did a study years ago, he recorded psychopaths. Arghhh... My brain is slow tonight...let me look for it, cant recall all the details.

Somebody asked earlier (sorry I don't remember who), about the quote in my signature. I finally stumbled across it at about the 1:56:00 mark in the link below. She tries to 'take it back' as part of her butterfly theory, but.............

She is really fascinating to watch; the wheels are almost visible as she tries to lie her way out. And, imho, Det Flores is very, very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=zCxFA-LPSmc&NR=1

bbm - I agree on both.
Flores' patience and skill amaze me every time I watch.

As for her, it's like watching a little kid with chocolate all over their hands and face try to deny eating the now missing chocolate. I'm in another kind of amazement watching her try to finagle her way out of the hole she's dug for herself.
I wonder if her blood pressure was elevated while she was BSing her way through that interrogation. Watching her physical reactions was interesting but I thought she seemed quite calm given the situation which was disturbing in itself.

Us great minds from New Jersey think alike.

I hope no one took my comment the wrong way - I mean, what fun would these forums be if we could not speculate on what is going on in the minds of these people? What bothers me is that sometimes all this psycho babble comes off like she has an "illness" and is not responsible for her behavior. And with some killers, that might be the truth - for sure JA isn't like the rest of us - but in this case, we have a woman who KNEW what she was doing, and knew it was wrong, and had enough of her wits about her to try to cover up what she did. Hell yeah there is something wrong with her - but she is able to function in other areas of her life, which tells me she is 100% accountable for her actions. If she is found guilty - and I am worried, after what happened with Casey Anthony - we still will have to sit thru another decade of appeals and pleas for her "valuable" life, and I guess I am just tired of all that BS. Once the jury reads the verdict, they should just take her out back and shoot her.

In the olden days I think they hung and beheaded the guilty much sooner. I'm reading a free kindle download about some particularly nasty women killers. Some came from wealthy royal families. One brought and killed babies on trains and put them in her hatbox each time! Evil has been around too long.

WOMEN SERIAL KILLERS AROUND THE WORLD 1560-1920
By Sylvia Perrini

HA!! Don't blame your fever and NEVER apologize for a well-placed diva song on one of these threads! That's it, I'm cranking the speakers!

Not at all.

Just saying, since you are not verified, we can discuss armchair psychology style. Then I offered you a chair and sent out for pizza!

I looked for that clip on youtube for you. It seemed to be part of the 48 hours documentary, but I can't seem to locate it within. Weird. Maybe you've seen it.

It's essentially Arias recounting getting this mysterious letter (or maybe two) that threatened her life if she came to Arizona while in jail. They were delivered via someone delivering publications to each cell.

bbm - I agree on both.

As for her, it's like watching a little kid with chocolate all over their hands and face try to deny eating the now missing chocolate. I'm in another kind of amazement watching her try to finagle her way out of the hole she's dug for herself.
I wonder if her blood pressure was elevated while she was BSing her way through that interrogation. Watching her physical reactions was interesting but I thought she seemed quite calm given the situation which was disturbing in itself.

I also find watching that fascinating...and also some of the media interviews where the journalists (Sharon somebody) are clearly :waitasec:

The Stranger Beside Me - 48 Hours - CBS News

I am watching this 48 hours (brian stuart case) and our guy Juan Martinez was the prosecutor and is in this video!

(and I just saw the SEAL)

oh.. and he takes the stand in this case (good to see Juan in action!)

I remember this one. I'm watching it again and wanted to make note of something I found compelling.

This guy, Bryan Stewart, seems to have the same 'cocky'-type attitude as Jodi; especially with his remark made at the beginning, "bring it on".

He is challenging those that think he may have done the crime, just as Jodi seems to also be challenging the same with her remark, "no jury will find me guilty".

Two peas in a pod.

bbm - I agree on both.

He even tells her at one point something to the effect of "you're like the kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar, standing there denying it".

I'm going insane here maybe someone can help.... :please:

I've watched Day 1 audio and it did not start early enough to catch Martinez' opening statements. It only has the Defense.

I would really really really really really appreciate :please: if anyone knows where I might be able to find a full transcript, audio or video of his opening testimony. I'll take anything.

I've been looking when time allows, I promise. I didn't find it in other threads here and I can't find it in google except for a few excerpts from news reports.

Does it exist in video, audio or even just transcript?

Do we know if Arias underwent a mental status evaluation before trial? Or if any sort of testing was done?

Hare did a study years ago, he recorded psychopaths. Arghhh... My brain is slow tonight...let me look for it, cant recall all the details.

My brain's sluggish, too, Linda. I think that was a study he did back in the early 90s, if I remember correctly.

Respectfully I disagree. I don't think she had a "fear" of being "abandoned" by TA. JMO but I think she was ticked off that she couldn't possess him anymore. It was much more about control and obsessiveness for her than it was being left or hurt (which IMO require more emotional capability on her part, which I think she lacks).

Impulsivity and extremes are central with BPD and again IMO all I've ever seen from JA is a very flat affect. While the murder was extremely rageful and violent, if one believes it was premeditated (which I do) it takes away that impulsive nature which is key to borderline. I find her to be void of any emotion and highly manipulative which doesn't seem consistent with BPD but this is all JMO!

BBM: Funny, but that is one of the classic hallmarks that non-BPD's observe with the more higher-functioning BPD's ---> BPD's manipulate; and let's not get into the overlap/comorbidity thing that goes on with Cluster B's. In general, the BPD feels that they are lacking their own personality and will mimic another person who they feel is appropriate or well-liked (like JA mimicking her attorney). Additionally, the "fear of abandonment" (another classic hallmark of BPD) is a shortcut descriptor to what you wrote "she was ticked off that she couldn't possess him anymore".....and hence she would be alone with herself, which the BPD hates more than anything. They are hallowed shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest