trial day 36: the defense continues its case in chief #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you care?

I LOVE liver. Most don't. I give a rat's azz if most don't. Each to their own. Live and let live.

Don't sweat what "others" think. JMO

Not getting it isn't sweating it. Seriously, I'm not worried about what other posters think of me personally, but I do wonder how my take on something can be so diametrically opposed to the "majority" view when it seems so clear to me. Just a genuine curiosity.

I don't understand those who criticize JM. Seemingly random questions are all part of his brilliant strategy. We'll see this in rebuttal and closing.

Also, he has a very successful record. The jurors believe him (his style is very effective) based on the number of convictions he has acquired. To each his own I guess. Just my 2 cents or less.

The psychologist is not very smart, and doesn't seem like a very experienced clinical psychologist. When he's asked how he knows that Arias has difficulty concentrating, each and every time he says that "she told me ...". A good psychologist should have said that he observed her having difficulty concentrating during their conversations. If she really had difficulty concentrating, he would have observed that on at least one occasion during their 25 hours of The Life of Jodi Arias (which she appears to have recited ad nauseum).

To further explain himself, he said that she reported having difficulty concentrating on the things she wanted to concentrate on at bedtime. Really? That's a really weird thing to say ... especially when presenting court testimony in the form of a clinical observation and evaluation of someone that has "difficulty concentrating".

My comments about him are kind of beside the point, to be honest. I don't think it matters in the long run. Even if he turns a juror or two off, they'll still return a verdict based on the evidence. But man, I seriously cannot stand him. I mean to the point that I comment about it here where practically every single person disagrees with me. lol I seriously do not get how anyone thinks he's amazing.

I think he has 4 aces in his hand. Amazing, well I think he's smarter than the rest of them for sure. I've never seen someone with his style before. He's unique. How's that, not amazing but just unique? He will give the one two three punch at the end! Go JM.

jmo

OMG. Manslaughter is NOT murder. Let's start there.

Nevermind. Not worth it. This trial is in the US.

Arizona Court provides a very clear definition of first-degree murder. There are several good examples of premeditated versus spontaneous murder. It's just crystal clear that 25+ stab wounds, throat cut and gun shot = first degree murder but I'm not going to argue this point anymore. If someone thinks this is = manslaughter/second degree murder/ self-defense let he/she continue to maintain that belief.

Not worth it as you said. :banghead:

The guest commenting on nancy grace looks like a woman but has a mans voice. Is she female or male, not judging just curious.

The guest you are referring to is a defense attorney and her name is Regina. I thought the same as you, and like you, not judging, just curious. I don't know if it's OK to say this, but I thought I saw an Adam's Apple. (Hoping my inquiring mind doesn't get me a "time out".)

It's a distinct difference on TV than in person. The witness stand is so far away you cant really see the nuances in witness's faces from the gallery but you get to see the jurors. Sometimes it's kind of hard to hear testimony in the courtroom...i've even had a hard time hearing Martinez at times! Sound is totally different and visuals are too. Of course the "energy" in the courtroom brings a different kind of energy and drama. And having to sit there expressionless while watching these horrible things.

Even when I sit in the courtroom I'm interested in seeing the coverage as from the "front" of the players you get an entirely different perspective. Janine Driver "got it" when he came to how Juan is less threatening in person and her take was you get to see just how short in stature he is...now if Nurmi had that aggressive demeanor with his size it would read totally different. I think JM is probably around 5'5".
Maybe Juan wants to make sure Travis's family can hear him? :floorlaugh:

I have never found Mr. Martinez to be threatening. He is doing his job! I have much more respect for someone like him, than someone picking their nose in court. Mr. Martinez and Detective Flores are respectful, respected individuals. From the way they appropriately dress, to their demeanor in the courtroom, they are 100% professional! They are seeking justice for someone who was slaughtered and can no long speak for himself.

One would hope the prosecutor would have some passion in his voice, some outrage at the allegations made against the VICTIM!

I am looking forward to rebuttal, where this trial will get back on track, where it will be about the slaying of Travis Alexander! I am sick of the defense's case! I'm so sick of JA playing the victim!

Sorry for the rant...sometimes, you just got to let it all out.

Totally agree with you.

Plus, the courtroom observers and the guests on the shows, who have been in the courtroom, ALL say it sounds louder on TV. They say he is not yelling in court. The observers in court have reported, he is simply a prosecutor with a passion, for obtaining justice for the victim. I would want him on my side any day!
I agree...I'll take JMs relentless determination over JWs petulant behavior and her bestie giggles with JA any day.

The death itself is not evidence of first degree murder. Just of murder. Manslaughter is murder. (well - maybe it's different in the US > but here - manslaughter (voluntary) is a provoked murder).

The prosecution presented several circumstances to support that the murder was planned, not spontaneous. It rests on believing whether or not JA brought the gun. As there is no evidence she did so (just a contention by the prosecution) - I'd be reluctant to find for 1st degree. But I'm pretty strong in the belief that a capital case needs to be held to a very high degree of proof.

Regardless - I'm not on the jury - so just sharing my ideas here - and reading others ideas.

I actually said "hating and demeaning" - which should be quite different from "discussing". I'm a firm believer in discussion.

My whole thought about premeditation...

although she dyed her hair, got a rental car, used 2-5 gallon gas cans plus buying one, took off the front lisc plate, switched the other upside down, turned her phone off and had no receipts in Arizona, had an alibi set up (I'm sure I'm forgetting other things) one would think that if you shoot someone in the face and they are on the floor, which the ME said would pretty much incapacitate them, then WHY would you go get a butcher knife and hack away at someone so viciously and THEN slit his throat from ear to ear? Knowing after a gun shot to the face has Travis disabled, WHY didn't she either go for HELP, dial 911 or just run out the door?

These are the things the jury saw and heard and has nothing to do with outside sources. If I was on the jury, that would scream premeditation to me.

JMO

Not getting it isn't sweating it. Seriously, I'm not worried about what other posters think of me personally, but I do wonder how my take on something can be so diametrically opposed to the "majority" view when it seems so clear to me. Just a genuine curiosity.

Because you are biased. IMO. Have been since this case first started and I started reading about this case here.

I never knew one thing about this case until it started. Never saw/read anything about it until Day 1 of this trial. Never watched 48 hours, etc. I just sat here and watched online, followed links, googled stuff for my own benefit to catch up, etc.

I've sat in way too many court rooms (in my past life as a CPS advocate in New Mexico) and Juan is a damn good attorney. IMO

I don't understand those who criticize JM. Seemingly random questions are all part of his brilliant strategy. We'll see this in rebuttal and closing.

Also, he has a very successful record. The jurors believe him (his style is very effective) based on the number of convictions he has acquired. To each his own I guess. Just my 2 cents or less.

Does anyone know where to find his opening statements? I'd like to see how they line up with the case so far.

I think he's very good and that he is very well prepared in this case. His legal responses are also excellent. At one point the defense lawyer just starts talking about why she's objecting - with out calling a sidebar. The prosecutor objected "making statements" and her objection was over-ruled. I'm enjoying the prosecutor, but not the least bit interested in what either of the defense lawyer have to say.

It's like the prosecutor is pulling rabbits out of hats. No one expected that the good man with a phd had prepared two comflicting sets of data, one of which was cooked while he was on vacation in Palm Springs. If that isn't cooking the books ... in favor of the defendant ...

Mr. Martinez is doing an incredible job. He has a purpose in every question he asks. We may not understand it all now, but he isn't finished. He will wrap it all up on close. I believe he has some surprises yet to come. He is fighting for justice for Travis and his family. I have faith in Mr. Martinez. He has this!!!

He's elicited testimony from JA that I think very few if any prosecutors would have been able to. This was because of his style. She wanted so badly to get one over on him that she ended up admitting to things she probably wishes she hadn't simply to spite him. That's kind of brilliant I think.

Does anyone know where to find his opening statements? I'd like to see how they line up with the case so far.

I think he's very good and that he is very well prepared in this case. His legal responses are also excellent. At one point the defense lawyer just starts talking about why she's objecting - with out calling a sidebar. The prosecutor objected "making statements" and her objection was over-ruled. I'm enjoying the prosecutor, but not the least bit interested in what either of the defense lawyer have to say.

It's like the prosecutor is pulling rabbits out of hats. No one expected that the good man with a phd had prepared two comflicting sets of data, one of which was cooked while he was on vacation in Palm Springs. If that isn't cooking the books ... in favor of the defendant ...

I can't find a full proper video of the opening statements. Here is link to a video of at least some of it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOFzQHQv7Cw"]Jodi Arias Trial Day 1 - Opening Statements W/VIDEO - Never before seen! - YouTube[/ame]

It's not just you. I frequently see people tell me I'm wrong, and then later I'll see people agreeing with what I said--when a different person is saying it.

The death itself is not evidence of first degree murder. Just of murder. Manslaughter is murder. (well - maybe it's different in the US > but here - manslaughter (voluntary) is a provoked murder).

The prosecution presented several circumstances to support that the murder was planned, not spontaneous. It rests on believing whether or not JA brought the gun. As there is no evidence she did so (just a contention by the prosecution) - I'd be reluctant to find for 1st degree. But I'm pretty strong in the belief that a capital case needs to be held to a very high degree of proof.

Regardless - I'm not on the jury - so just sharing my ideas here - and reading others ideas.

I actually said "hating and demeaning" - which should be quite different from "discussing". I'm a firm believer in discussion.

Manslaughter is not murder, Katie, it is accidentally killing someone or acting in a way in which you didn't intend to kill. I don't think we can qualify her very deliberate acts as accidental.

Advanced premeditation is hard to prove but there's so much here. It is all circumstantial, sure. But you can't rule out circumstantial evidence. You have to use your own judgment and common sense. Common sense says the same calibre gun being used on Travis being stolen from Jodi's house just a week before the murder is not purely coincidental. Common sense says people don't just blatantly lie about how many gas cans they have unless she has something to hide. That one can be proven, btw.

Almost all murder cases require you to put the pieces together yourself and use your better judgment. Things are very rarely just laid out for you. I would have had a hard time convicting CA of first degree murder too because the evidence simply wasn't all there. I would have at least voted for negligent manslaughter. This case is so much different. There is a mountain of evidence her and it is not very hard to put the puzzle together at all. Put all the PTSD crap out of your mind. Look at the evidence. If she gets anything less the murder one I really will be shocked.

ETA: you would have to be much better versed on what the law is and expectations must be met before you deliberate. The CA jury didn't understand or care to understand what they could find her guilty of. They were lazy.

I kind of had to eat my own crow today as I expected to despise her but honestly I liked her. I may not like how she comports herself in this case and what she tries to sell to the jury but as a person I think she's quite genuine and respectable and a breath of fresh air after <modsnip>. imo

I got the same impression -- wanting to go in not liking her -- but she seems sincere, unlike <modsnip>. First impressions mean a lot, IMHO.

I'm curious how JM will cross examine her.

MOO

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members