Trial Discussion Thread #22 - 14.04.10, Day 20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
*mercenary post*

Does anyone have any idea how much Roux is likely to make from defending OP? I believe Nel is paid by the state so presumably he will be paid much less.

Has OP"s house sold yet?
No word on the house yet but its only been on the market for a couple of weeks. Estimated cost is R100 000 daily (Roux alone is likely R40 000-60 000).

That'd be $9615 ($3800-$5769)
Or £5729 (£2291-£3437)

A day. Not including the pocket change. ;)

http://mattr.biz/articles/954/how-much-does-the-trial-of-oscar-pistorius-cost

You would think so .
I get confused as to what evidence can be brought in because character witness's are not allowed .
I think that is why the state brought the other gun charges .
With regard to the ex if it were possible and he had something to add I am sure Nel would have questioned him . He was on the states list .
We may well here more as the trial progresses.

I get a bit frustrated when they spend so much time on the other gun charges. I know they're trying to show OP's irresponsibility with guns, but I can't help thinking that securing the conviction for these extra charges sometimes detracts from the main focus, the killing of Reeva.

It's a balancing act I guess, but a hell of a lot of trial time has been spent introducing a couple of character witness, which in the grand scheme of things doesn't add a lot of value to Reeva's case, but may ensure a prosecution for the state. I'd have preferred the other charges to be handled in a separate trial.

I don't think my view on this has much justification, it's just more of a gut feeling.

When OP is not whining on cue, he speaks in a drab monotone voice, like an android responding with programmed information. As for Nel I could watch and listen to him from morning till night. He is totally fascinating and I love the way he keeps lifting his gown up at the shoulders and folding it across his chest. He could come to mine for a cup of tea anytime lol.

and apparently OP doesn't make eye contact with Nel at all, just continuously focuses on the judge (Barry Bateman).

I heard roux charges R50k ZAR a day, that's a heck of a lot, and then I'm sure all the other fees as well, this is going to cost OP a small fortune.

...and he's allegedly been getting his information off here as well :wink:

Get your claim in. :dance:

The text messages show that he was not jealous of the ex at all and there was testimony about it as well. OP knew that Reeva was going to visit her ex and they talked about it and OP was perfectly fine with it

My violent ex partner always used to be fine about me seeing my ex husband (sorting out paperwork, collecting mail, personal items, etc) .. at the time I was doing it .. it was only later on during arguments that he suddenly came out and told me what a problem it was for him and he was actually livid about it although he had appeared to be ok with it at the time.

One reason it's hard to feel sympathy for OP at all, is that he doesn't come across as humble or remorseful in any way. He gets tetchy with Nel, doesn't give direct answers, blames everyone under the sun for all his misdeeds, going as far as calling some people outright liars, and acts like it's a nuisance having to be on trial at all. His attitude is all wrong, and I don't get the feeling he's suffered for a year, more that he's been irritated to have to answer to murdering Reeva.

I watched that link minor put up about Nel's techniques, and all 3 experts said (about the watermelon incident) that it's perfectly normal to show graphic photos like that at a murder trial, and that Nel's job is to get OP out of his comfort zone and give answers that haven't been rehearsed.

By the way minor, do you still believe OP is an entirely credible witness based on today's testimony of the miracle gun that discharged itself while in his hands?

I get a bit frustrated when they spend so much time on the other gun charges. I know they're trying to show OP's irresponsibility with guns, but I can't help thinking that securing the conviction for these extra charges sometimes detracts from the main focus, the killing of Reeva.

It's a balancing act I guess, but a hell of a lot of trial time has been spent introducing a couple of character witness, which in the grand scheme of things doesn't add a lot of value to Reeva's case, but may ensure a prosecution for the state. I'd have preferred the other charges to be handled in a separate trial.

I don't think my view on this has much justification, it's just more of a gut feeling.
Yes I agree which is why he should have pleaded guilty to the other charges much earlier .They wouldn't have been able to bring them to court together .
It would seem also that Nel was only able to bring the gun video into the trial because the defence had introduced the shopping video .
Correct me if I am wrong about that .
If that is the case though I think the prosecutors benefitted more .

...and he's allegedly been getting his information off here as well :wink:

Get your claim in. :dance:

Incorrect. It was said, by me as a matter of fact, that I would not be surprised if the defense read here. There has not been any post made that alleged that Roux gets his information off here.

Let's keep the facts straight please.

If she was trying to keep quiet, she wouldn't have slammed the door. She would have closed it quietly.

The addition of the "slamming of the door" detail destroys his story, IMO.

This is what I think (thank you for asking:)

He is getting his fairytale story mixed up with what really happened and both are coming out of his mouth (probably before he has time to think).

Yes I agree which is why he should have pleaded guilty to the other charges much earlier .They wouldn't have been able to bring them to court together .
It would seem also that Nel was only able to bring the gun video into the trial because the defence had introduced the shopping video .
Correct me if I am wrong about that .
If that is the case though I think the prosecutors benefitted more .

The gun video was allowed to be brought in because OP lied to Nel about hearing/knowing what Zombie Shooter is. Nel asked if it would surprise OP to know that there is a video where that is said and OP was present. OP then smarted off that he would like to see it if such a video existed. Nel was more than happy to show OP said video.

What handgun(s) do you own, if you don't mind sharing. Mine is a Glock 17 9mm, I bought it to replace my Walther PPK .380 stainless steel because the Walthers magazine only held 6 rounds making it a pain in the butt to have to keep reloading the magazines when I went to the range!

I don't own, and haven't been shooting for a long time. I used to go with a colleague from work and a few others, but have been self-employed for a long time, and didn't keep it up. It was ok when I was younger but I've no desire for it anymore to be honest. A lot of my mates are married now with kids, and seem to have substituted it for golf.

:smile:

My violent ex partner always used to be fine about me seeing my ex husband (sorting out paperwork, collecting mail, personal items, etc) .. at the time I was doing it .. it was only later on during arguments that he suddenly came out and told me what a problem it was for him and he was actually livid about it although he had appeared to be ok with it at the time.

So are you saying that because OP's text messages indicate that he was not jealous, that somehow indicates he is an abuser or violent?

The text messages show that he was not jealous of the ex at all and there was testimony about it as well. OP knew that Reeva was going to visit her ex and they talked about it and OP was perfectly fine with it

The text messages show that OP did not show displeasure at Reeva meeting her ex for coffee during those text messages. We do not know if OP told Reeva of his displeasure either on the phone or in person. Lack of text messages showing that OP was upset does not mean that OP was not in fact upset.

MOO

The text messages show that OP did not show displeasure at Reeva meeting her ex for coffee during those text messages. We do not know if OP told Reeva of his displeasure either on the phone or in person. Lack of text messages showing that OP was upset does not mean that OP was not in fact upset.

MOO

But when the only messages we have indicate that he was not jealous - that does not somehow indicate that he was actually jealous or unhappy about it.

Incorrect. It was said, by me as a matter of fact, that I would not be surprised if the defense read here. There has not been any post made that alleged that Roux gets his information off here.

Let's keep the facts straight please.

Whoa there tiger.

I know I didn't mention it, that is all. There were a few posters suggesting it. all in harmless jest - I think suggestion was made of the logo appearing on a laptop in court, again all in harmless jest.

It either was there or it wasn't there. Might have all been a dream

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

One reason it's hard to feel sympathy for OP at all, is that he doesn't come across as humble or remorseful in any way. He gets tetchy with Nel, doesn't give direct answers, blames everyone under the sun for all his misdeeds, going as far as calling some people outright liars, and acts like it's a nuisance having to be on trial at all. His attitude is all wrong, and I don't get the feeling he's suffered for a year, more that he's been irritated to have to answer to murdering Reeva.

I watched that link minor put up about Nel's techniques, and all 3 experts said (about the watermelon incident) that it's perfectly normal to show graphic photos like that at a murder trial, and that Nel's job is to get OP out of his comfort zone and give answers that haven't been rehearsed.

By the way minor, do you still believe OP is an entirely credible witness based on today's testimony of the miracle gun that discharged itself while in his hands?

And he's had over a year to reflect on life, these events and the impact on others. He could be far more remorseful (without constant references to himself) and maybe concede some errors in judgement etc. without necessarily harming his defence. I always keep an open mind and will usually support the underdog, but he is coming across to me as arrogant, narcissistic and very self centered.

I heard roux charges R50k ZAR a day, that's a heck of a lot, and then I'm sure all the other fees as well, this is going to cost OP a small fortune.

He may take a few quid off for the double tap, since apparently he got that one wrong lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech